Menu

Baby name predictor

creekland

Has anyone posted this yet?

http://time.com/93911/baby-name-predictor/?utm_source=WhatCounts+Publicaster+Edition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The+Virginia+Tech+Monthly%3a+%22Best+Day+of+My+Life%22+%7c+Popular+or+not%3f+%7c+Maroon-White+game&utm_content=predicts+the+popularity+of+baby+names

It's a baby name predictor site that I found out about via my Alma mater's newsletter.  

I plugged in our family names - they're all decreasing in popularity at the moment, so I suppose my guys will be among those who have "old folks" names when they are old.  Only hubby's became more popular long after he was given the name, so he should be "hip" in his older age with everyone thinking he is younger.  My name was never popular... except with my parents I suppose!  It gets one minor blip during the years when I was born, but even that minor blip is low compared to other names in our family.

Anyway... a fun little diversion for those who have time!

Nifty! Unfortunately it doesn't have any of our names, :(.

However, I don't know anyone else with our names (and the spelling of my younger son) so I guess we are trendsetters in our own right, huh?

The way spellings are morphing and pure "new" names are coming into society, I'm wondering if many will be total trendsetters.  I suspect you truly are part of the upcoming pattern!

Fun. Mine peaked in 1906 but according to the predictor I'll make a comeback and peak again in 2038. I knew I'll be hip again one day. Or at least my name will. 

My oldest son's is similar, peaked around 1913, will peak again in about 20 years. 

My second son and daughter have names that haven't been very popular at all until recently (although they aren't really all that popular now) and will decline again in popularity. 

My husband's name isn't on there. It never is on any predictor or name popularity thing. Funny thing is that it's a name everyone would know, it's not a unique spelling. It's just a name that noone uses even though it would be familiar to everyone. 

Mine peaked in 1984, but was pretty popular throughout the 90s. It is expected to decrease through 2037. Sounds about right. I have only ever met people with my name who are less than 30 but older than 15. 

My husband's last name peaked last in 1971, but was pretty steady in the late 1880s/early 1900s. It is expected to peak again in 2038. We'll see - his name isn't out there, but him and his father are the only two I have ever met with their name. 

My husband's name isn't on there. It never is on any predictor or name popularity thing. Funny thing is that it's a name everyone would know, it's not a unique spelling. It's just a name that noone uses even though it would be familiar to everyone. 

That is the type of name I like.  In picking names we decided ahead of time that any name in the top 10 would be eliminated.  

It is amazing to me that in a Sunday School class of 20 3-4 year-olds, there would be 3 Jack's.  

That's fun!

I plugged in our family's names, and an interesting contrast emerged. The graphs for my husband's name and mine spike up way high and stay there for a number of years. The graphs for both of our kids' names "peak" toward the bottom of the chart. My daughter's name was apparently at its most popular in 1953 and is expected to continue declining in popularity through 2025. My son's name did peak in 2013, but that peak barely budges the line above the very bottom of the graph.

Since my husband and I both hated having such popular names and vowed to name our kids differently, I can't help being pleased with those results.

Strangely, my name last peaked in 1979 and is expected to peak again in 2014. I have no idea why it would suddenly have a resurgence, though I know of a couple of TV shows with characters named that. 

I'm pretty sure that's your answer.  It explains why one of our offspring's name became more popular - AFTER we named him that.  Someone in Hollywood liked the name too...

Am I missing something?  I can't seem to actually find the tool to plug the names in on that link

You start typing in the name in the "Search for a name" box directly under the title, and select the name as it comes up auto-fill style.  Using the enter key doesn't work if you try that after typing in the name.  I also x out the three that come automatically (under the graph).

You start typing in the name in the "Search for a name" box directly under the title, and select the name as it comes up auto-fill style.  Using the enter key doesn't work if you try that after typing in the name.  I also x out the three that come automatically (under the graph).

Oh good I'm not entirely crazy or stupid.  On my browser there is no search box and the first graph is just an image so I can't even x out the 3 original ones.  Thanks for trying to help

Oh good I'm not entirely crazy or stupid.  On my browser there is no search box and the first graph is just an image so I can't even x out the 3 original ones.  Thanks for trying to help

Hmm, with Chome and Firefox it works - can't assist with other browsers... but yes, that does seem to be the cause of your trouble!

I'm pretty sure that's your answer.  It explains why one of our offspring's name became more popular - AFTER we named him that.  Someone in Hollywood liked the name too...

We had the same thing happen. We named our son in 2000 a name that seemed off the beaten path, only to have it show up a couple years later as the name of a popular TV character and also the name of at least two celebrity kids. I keep on wanting to say "but OURS was first!" :lol:

I have an extremely common name and get sick of being one of 4 in any given situation. That def informed my choices of names for my kids. I didn't want weird, just not generic.

I didn't want weird, just not generic.

Same here.  Due to the TV character there are more folks now with one of mine's, but there still aren't tons (fortunately).

We wanted "known" and "easy to understand" rather than having them have to spell it out all the time and getting confused looks, but not "super common" or Top 20.

Really neat!

But I put in Paisley and Piper..both names that I am sure will continue to rise..and it said "last peaked in 2013 and will continue to decline"

Well... you could make sure Hollywood (good) characters are named those names to ensure you are correct, or you can just wait and see.

In general, I highly suspect the past (real) data is far more solid than the future (predicted) projections - if nothing else - because one never knows what future Hollywood characters will be named!

All of our dc have names that peaked about five years after they were born.

You were definitely ahead of your time and a trendsetter!

My kids' first names aren't there. DD's middle peaked a few years after she was born, and DS's has never been very popular.

I also ran the names I chose for myself. None were ever hugely popular, and the one I chose for my first name peaked a decade before I was born.

Both my boys' names peaked in the 1920s and then in the 1990s.  Laura peaked in the 1960s (probably because of 'that song').

L

Do you mean Doctor Zhivago? My sister ended up names Laura because of "Lara's song".  I convinced my mom that everyone would call the baby Laura instead of Lara. But she was born in the 1970s.

My kids' names apparently peaked in 2004, 2013, 2009, 2013, 2013 and 1944. My oldest two have names that could be considered "trendy" - #1 was popular in my hometown 20-25 years ago but never around here, and #2 has become very popular everywhere in the last 4-5 years. My next three have uncommon names (two of their full names didn't show up, so I went with shortened versions), and my youngest has an incredibly common name that has been very slowly declining in popularity for the last 65 years. 

My given name peaked in 1984, when I was 14. Dh's peaked in his birth year, 1964. 

ds2's and dd2's names aren't considered names. ds1's supposedly peaked in 1984, but I've also seen that it was the most popular boy's name in my country in 1992 and it was on the internet so it must be true. dd1's birth name ("You CAN'T give your child that horrible weird hippie name!" in 1987) peaked in 2013 and will peak again in 2014 and her "normal" middle name that her father's family decided to call her by last peaked in 1922 and will peak again in 2037.

The name my parents picked for me peaked in 2013 and sounds trendy and cutting edge now, but it was positively AWFUL in the '70s so the minute I turned 18 I changed it to something that was kewl and tryndee and suitable for a career in the performing arts in the early eighties, but it peaked in 1975, was used for unsavoury characters in popular movies and books, and is positively AWFUL in 2014.

Ethel isn't either of those "real names", but it'll do.

Do you mean Doctor Zhivago? My sister ended up names Laura because of "Lara's song".  I convinced my mom that everyone would call the baby Laura instead of Lara. But she was born in the 1970s.

I thought she meant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHVahJwW-EY Tell Laura I Love Her but I know a late thirtyish Laura who was named after Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Interesting, my name peeked in 1950 and isn't making a comeback until the 2030's. The boys and DH are the same. One peeked back in the 80's, but the other 3 were in the early 60's and none are coming back until 2038 or so. DD's name peeked in the early 60's and the prediction for come back is 2040 or something...can't remember exactly what it said. I predict that it won't make a come back at all. It just simply is rare and was never popular.