Menu

Those of you who were impacted by the big Circe thread of 2012 check in here

I haven't listened to any of Kern's talks yet but this is going to be my first one.  I actually cued it up a few minutes ago but my toddler woke up and is now using my pen and notebook to draw so I'll have to wait till I can listen with pen in hand

I just finished listening to Andrew Kern's "Mimetic Teaching and the Cultivation of Virtue" and I find myself encouraged and challenged to be a better learner myself, to be cultivating virtue in my own heart. To "think on these things" to behold Christ more deeply, more consistently. Philippians 4:8-9 has been a recurring theme for me this year. I have been reflecting on the overflow of my soul into my children's lives and not so pleased with what I see lately.

Other thoughts that stick with me from the lecture:
The tie-ins to the Beatitudes and to Psalm 1

"We become what we behold."

"To those who are opposed to humanity, we must become dangerous." Now there's a mission statement for you!

Philippians 4:8-9 again ...THINK. Ideas and understanding not just technique.
His comments about the weaknesses of Saxon math remind me of Liping Ma's "profound understanding of mathematics".
I loved that so much of his banter and illustrations were about math because that is not my strong suit and it helps me to make connections to have the applications made. I see things more readily with words based disciplines.

The value of thinking long on one thing - already mentioned in several ways in this thread.

"To undercut a child's faculty for paying attention is sin." He highlighted progressive education as the obvious culprit here, but I began to think about what else influences in this way. TV for sure. What else? Schedule!

The trivium within each lesson. This is so helpful to me.

That is all for now. I know that I will be studying and slowly absorbing ideas from these threads for a long while. I feel as though I am on a new path of discovery and wholeness and depth and it is exciting.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to the 8 Essential Principles... I'm confused. It seems like there is already more to classical education than I am going to be able to cover (subject-wise). I can definitely learn from the multum non multa idea - but axing some subjects to be able to master a few... I don't know. Can someone provide an example of this? Does he mean not doing history - so we can focus more on math & science? Or is he talking about 'fluff': ballet lessons, a second musical instrument, etc.

This is my latest schedule plan:

Mon thru Thurs:

Circle Time (20-30 min) - pray, sing, look over lesson plans, memory work, etc.

Bible (20-30 min)

Math (30-45 min)

Language Arts (30 min)

Literature (60 min)

Science (30 min)

Fri:

Circle Time (20-30 min)

Bible (20-30 min)

Math (30-45 min)

History (60-90 min)

Art (30 min)

Piano Lesson

Also, piano practice, Spanish & Sign Language sometime in the afternoon. 

Is there something you would cut?

Now to contemplate the 'nuts and bolts' of:

1) a strong foundation (mastery of key subjects)

2) practicing/training the skillful use of the mind (to learn, remember, and contemplate)

3) a heart sown with the seeds of virtue and carefully cultivated by daily exercise of those virtues

4) an atmosphere of rest and delight

5) a learning experience not tied to "school," but that is a way of life

Momof3- I would simplify, especially for the ages you have listed. 

I would do more like:

Circle time- Singing/music/art- Literature-Bible- 60-90 min 

(Depending on your kids I would separate it into Singing/Poetry/music/art-15-30 min- Read alouds-30-60min Bible- 20ish min)

Math-20 min

Phonics/Reading/Writing 30 min

Science done as nature study, walks done as a family, as often as you can manage. I wouldn't do formal history for that age personally. I'd throw history, science and classical books into the read aloud pile, perhaps rotating the day. For example some good lit every day- fairy tales, Potter,Milne etc and good picture books and then Monday throw in some history read-aloud, tuesday science read aloud, etc.

I wouldn't even worry about subjects, especially at those ages. Read a variety of good books (history, literature, science, nature, geography, fables), memorize things that are beautiful or needed (poems to your phone number), play with numbers (quantities, measuring, counting, comparing) and letters (aka reading), and do things (observe nature, cook, make messes & clean up, help others, put things in order, grow plants).

Oh, I thought your ideas were wonderful too! (I hope this all makes sense, my kids are ""cleaning"" their room which means there is running & shrieking. :glare: ) I know that for me, sometimes I get hung up in the details, and I'll sit there and spin my wheels, doing nothing but trying to find the *perfect* solution. Actually I'm doing that with our memory work right now. :lol:

Now a question - I'm trying to decide if I should read Caldecott's Beauty in the Word or Clark & Jain's The Liberal Arts Tradition first? Since I'm set for podcasts & videos for a while.

Ok, I just watched the Eight Essential Principles video, and took two pages, front and back, of notes. I feel like I have totally messed up my eldest (12, finishing 7th grade), and more than likely have mostly messed up the other two boys (10, 5th grade and 7, 2nd grade). That leaves the three year old girl. She does have Down syndrome, but I'm hoping that doesn't stop us. ;) How, though, does one undo any potential damage done with older students? And where do I find time to make sure I am well prepared and have read what they are reading, so as to engage in discussion/conversation/contemplation with them. And does that happen with every subject? Every day? Do you pick and choose?

MLW, I don't have specific suggestions, but I do know the feeling!  Have you watched any of the Ask Andrew videos?  There was one that I found encouraging about how to classically educate when that wasn't the type of education that you received.   

There is another one that I haven't watched yet, but I believe it is about what to do with a high-school student who hasn't had this type of education.  I hope to listen to that one soon.  

I'm in a similar boat as far as trying to figure out how to prepare myself. Right now I'm most often able to listen to these lectures when I'm getting the little one to sleep, so I'm not able to take notes.  

Now a question - I'm trying to decide if I should read Caldecott's Beauty in the Word or Clark & Jain's The Liberal Arts Tradition first? Since I'm set for podcasts & videos for a while.

Personally, I would choose  Beauty in the Word.  I am reading Clark and Jain's  book now and it's  okay  but  Beauty in the Word was more soul filling for me.

Ok, I just watched the Eight Essential Principles video, and took two pages, front and back, of notes. I feel like I have totally messed up my eldest (12, finishing 7th grade), and more than likely have mostly messed up the other two boys (10, 5th grade and 7, 2nd grade). That leaves the three year old girl. She does have Down syndrome, but I'm hoping that doesn't stop us. ;) How, though, does one undo any potential damage done with older students? And where do I find time to make sure I am well prepared and have read what they are reading, so as to engage in discussion/conversation/contemplation with them. And does that happen with every subject? Every day? Do you pick and choose?

What in tarnation makes you think you messed them up? What damage?

With every tomorrow there is the possibliity of doing things differently. <3

I was not part of the original thread (at least I don't think I was), but I do remember being introduced to Andrew Kern through it.  I know of him more now through CC because he is friends with Leigh Bortins.  Over the last year I have arrived at many of the same conclusions I think, but I arrived at these from reading a lot of TJE books and Robinson curriculum, both of which emphasize classics.

I have simplified my future plans into strong basics (using Saxon for math and language arts, even if it isn't popular with Kerns), classics, a smattering of classical/CM subjects and skills limited to an hour a day to increase reading time, and giving time for creativity and "doing".  This feels so simple to me.  Even the classical/CM subjects and skills are guided by what they are interested in or what they really need to work on.  For example:

My 12 year old spends her hour on map drawing and Latin vocab because she will need that for the fall.

My 9 year old spends his hour on copywork (because  I want him to), drawing (because he loves to draw LOTR pictures), or memory work because he is about to test for memory master.  He also really wants to start back on his Latin as soon as I buy his new book.

My 7 year old spends his hour on drawing or geography puzzles because that is what he enjoys right now.  

As a family we have a devotional (prayer. Psalms, Proverbs, and praise/singing hymns).  We read aloud picture books, poetry, classic stories, and classic novels.  And we do memory work through cds in the car or during clean up.  This summer we will switch from primarily facts and Scripture to character traits, poetry, and catechism.  I also plan to include a science lesson done together as a family, but it will be done according to time as something fun to do, not as something they are forced to do.  That seems appropriate right now because my children are blooming in their interest in science right now.  History has not been a focus for us as a family right now, but there is a lot of individual history reading going on with my three oldest.  Last year we focused a lot on history and this year we focused a lot on grammar and writing skills.  For everything, there is a season.

I believe it is important for them to develop strong study HABITS.  I want them to get up and pursue study on their own of the basics, followed by an hour of skills and subjects as mentioned above, followed by lots of reading, music practice, chores, and free time.  Then family time in the evening for inspiration and bonding.  Sometimes music practice starts their day, which is also building great habits.  When these become automatic it allows me to be calm and not stress about their education so I can have an atmosphere of rest and delight (love that way of putting it).  It is a discipline that sets them up for success in difficult classics later on.  

I get up and follow my morning routine of chores and things I need to do for my health.  Then I pull my middle three kiddos aside one by one for phonics and math.  I answer questions for my oldest two as needed and check up to make sure they are doing the work, but I don't micromanage their learning.  I do like to grade their assessments to touch base with how they are doing in case we need to back up or slow down.  When I am teaching my little ones I try to focus more on our relationship than getting through the lesson.  And then I try to read or just be a mommy until it is evening and time for our family worship and reading.  This is so beautiful compared to all the stressful schedules of the past.  In the fall we will be back to CC and with that will come a shift in my focus.  I will spend more time with my older children on assignments that will be turned in and my younger ones will be given more independent work to do.  But in all of this I am trying to prioritize and relax about what doesn't get done.  Who we are becoming as a family and as individuals, the virtues we are cultivating, is so much more important than the curriculum.  The longer I focus on this and appreciate who they are and how far they've come despite all we have gone through, the more I let go of time tables.  

I just picked up Bulfinch's Mythology tonight and I bought Simplicity Parenting for my phone and started reading it.  I am one chapter away from finishing The Secret Garden.  I am also reading Heartfelt Discipline and the Robinson Curriculum guide on self-teaching.  And I'm reading through the book of Matthew right now at a fast pace.  Tonight I discussed MacBeth with my 9 year old and he made connections with Herod.  It was beautiful to see.  My daughter wrote a pretend journal entry as if she were a relation of Bilbo Baggins.  My 7 year old colored his drawing of foxgloves from The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady and copied the entire adjoining page of journal entries next to his drawing.  None of this was required.  It is just the overflow of strong basics, classics, and introducing skills like copywork and drawing to them and doing it myself in front of them.  

My 5 year old cleaned her room.  My 4 year old begged for her reading lesson.   My 2 year old potty trained today out of nowhere.  My 1 year old snuggled in my arms this evening.  It was a very fulfilling day :-)

I just picked up Bulfinch's Mythology tonight and I bought Simplicity Parenting for my phone and started reading it.  I am one chapter away from finishing The Secret Garden.  I am also reading Heartfelt Discipline and the Robinson Curriculum guide on self-teaching.  And I'm reading through the book of Matthew right now at a fast pace.  Tonight I discussed MacBeth with my 9 year old and he made connections with Herod.  It was beautiful to see.  My daughter wrote a pretend journal entry as if she were a relation of Bilbo Baggins.  My 7 year old colored his drawing of foxgloves from The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady and copied the entire adjoining page of journal entries next to his drawing.  None of this was required.  It is just the overflow of strong basics, classics, and introducing skills like copywork and drawing to them and doing it myself in front of them.  

My 5 year old cleaned her room.  My 4 year old begged for her reading lesson.   My 2 year old potty trained today out of nowhere.  My 1 year old snuggled in my arms this evening.  It was a very fulfilling day :-)

I was really enjoying your post- I love PRACTICAL looks at application, especially with younger children, especially with toddlers and babies in the home- and then I got to the part where the 2yo potty trained and I swear the clouds parted and I heard angels singing!  Congratulations on a beautiful, charmed day!  I hope you have a journal or a blog to record it on forever!  I just love those occasional days where everything goes beautifully.  :grouphug:

Similarly, congratulations to the Winnie-the-Pooh laundry folding mom!  I wanted to quote but can't go re-read the last few pages of this thread right at the moment.  What a lovely story for you to remember forever!

The best I can do is this:  My son has been listening (over and over) to Pyle's Merry Adventures of Robin Hood from audible.  Yesterday he was practicing violin and was doing really well (for a 7 year old who's only had a few lessons) but it was still pretty screechy scratchy.  I told him as long as he gave his best to each practice session, he would improve very nicely.  He said, "A man cannot do aught but his best, as they say in Robin Hood." 

These are GREAT stories. I love hearing how the application of all this good stuff looks in real life!

I answer questions for my oldest two as needed and check up to make sure they are doing the work, but I don't micromanage their learning. 

Stm4him, can you give more specifics on this point? What does it look like? Micromanagement is something I have been endeavoring to rid myself of. Yet I still want to be involved and to require excellence.

Just saw this article pop up in my blog feed.  It's Read Literature to Learn and Love the Truth, from Crisis Magazine (Catholic, but I would consider the article neutral).  A short quote:

You do not read good books so that you can scramble up some tricks, so that you can write clever things about them, so that you can do well on a test and secure a prestigious job and then die.  You learn about the language and about what writers do, so that you can read good books and learn to love them, because they are companions who will tell you what they have seen of the truth, and they tell you it in a way you will not soon forget.

I found it very applicable to the thread and motivating in general. 

Just saw your Lewis quote in your sig and LOVE it!!! It is amazing the insight he had, the way he and others like Chesterton saw the tides moving and how applicable they are today.

Thank you for saying this. It made me go back and read her signature. I love that quote and just wrote it on the chalkboard for dinner discussion (our chalkboard is in the dining area where we do school and eat our meals).

MLW, I don't have specific suggestions, but I do know the feeling!  Have you watched any of the Ask Andrew videos?  There was one that I found encouraging about how to classically educate when that wasn't the type of education that you received.   

There is another one that I haven't watched yet, but I believe it is about what to do with a high-school student who hasn't had this type of education.  I hope to listen to that one soon.  

I'm in a similar boat as far as trying to figure out how to prepare myself. Right now I'm most often able to listen to these lectures when I'm getting the little one to sleep, so I'm not able to take notes.

Thank you for the reminder regarding the Ask Andrew videos. I need to go watch a few.

What in tarnation makes you think you messed them up? What damage?

With every tomorrow there is the possibliity of doing things differently. <3

My poor eldest. He is such our Guinnea pig. Our middle is only slightly less so because he is academically a bit advanced and only two actual school grades behind our eldest, who struggle in the beginning, so we did a lot together. I read some of the things others do, or how things "ought" to be, and I know both those are from the Enemy and not of God, but it's hard not to fall into the idea that I have messed up their education. But then last night a few of us were out back and my middle son says, "Mom, look at the sky. Isn't it beautiful?" And I realize not all is lost. I do believe we have helped foster a sense of wonder with them. And that must count for something, right?

Thank you for the reminder regarding the Ask Andrew videos. I need to go watch a few.

My poor eldest. He is such our Guinnea pig. Our middle is only slightly less so because he is academically a bit advanced and only two actual school grades behind our eldest, who struggle in the beginning, so we did a lot together. I read some of the things others do, or how things "ought" to be, and I know both those are from the Enemy and not of God, but it's hard not to fall into the idea that I have messed up their education. But then last night a few of us were out back and my middle son says, "Mom, look at the sky. Isn't it beautiful?" And I realize not all is lost. I do believe we have helped foster a sense of wonder with them. And that must count for something, right?

That counts for a lot!   

That's the whole biscuit. 

If you have no wonder, can you imagine trying to foster that in a child? Once wonder is lost and nothing is left but cynicism? 

My little wonders,

Part of why I like Saxon is that I can look at their assessments and know how they are doing without needing to check every problem in between. With my personality it is HARD to do that but I have 7 and it is harder and harder to stay on top of every page they do. But I have come to believe it is healthier this way for all of us. I do not want to hinder them by being a hovering parent. So I am thrilled to have Saxon Math and language arts so they can study at their own pace while still being in a position to step in and help if their assessments don't show mastery. I am teaching my younger kids one on one until they are ready for Saxon 54 and Hake 4.

Oh!  This is totally unrelated, but related.  I just had a thought about art. 

To use a metaphor, I have been unconsciously thinking of "projects" vs art the same way we are discussing historical fiction vs literature.  

It's not that cutting and gluing an Egyptian Pharaoh crook is pointless or useless, but if the time spent doing this sort of project is REPLACING the time spent in real art instruction (i.e. Drawing With Children, etc.), then it's got to get out of my homeschool. 

The amount of time in a day is limited.  There is nothing inherently wrong with historical fiction or craft projects (as opposed to handicrafts or real art), but when they are edging out more worthy subjects (lit and art), they should go or be scaled back.

A little change of subject: I just realized that another practical effect of the Big Thread was simplification of our schoolday. I am a minimalist at heart, and simplifying had pervaded most of my life already. . . the house, our schedule, our menu, my wardrobe, etc. But for some reason I never thought to simplify my curriculum. It was a great "duh" moment when I realized I could do just that! I left our CM-inspired box curriculum and built something simple around the 3R's. I have to say I'm a little less enthused about CM as a result, since I think of a CM education as quite broad (think exposure) and a classical one as more narrowly-focused and deep. But I know A. Kern likes CM, so maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. :)

This is what I am struggling with right now.  I am very CM at heart and love the rich feast that she lays for children, but it can feel kind of overwhelming to me at times to keep up with picture study, composer study, learning hymns, handiwork, and multiple books.  I can see the benefits to multum non multa though.  You can really dig deeply into what you are learning.  You have more time to spend on subjects such as Latin that will build a foundation as the child grows.  That said, so much of the delight from our homeschool comes in the books we read.  How do you strike the balance?  

This is what I am struggling with right now.  I am very CM at heart and love the rich feast that she lays for children, but it can feel kind of overwhelming to me at times to keep up with picture study, composer study, learning hymns, handiwork, and multiple books.  I can see the benefits to multum non multa though.  You can really dig deeply into what you are learning.  You have more time to spend on subjects such as Latin that will build a foundation as the child grows.  That said, so much of the delight from our homeschool comes in the books we read.  How do you strike the balance?  

Great question! I am CM at heart as well so I'm working on figuring out how to incorporate Circe principles with CM. 

Following your question and hopefully some good responses!

See, I don't really see CM and multum non multa as being at odds with each other. I'm not sure I can think straight enough right now to explain very well, but here's one example that comes to mind. We may have a broad base of "subjects", but it is possible to cover each one of those deeply. For example with geography we follow the idea given by Leigh Bortins in The Core where she describes spending an entire year working on drawing one continent, starting with the general outline and gradually adding in details as time passes. Or for composer or artist study, one could limit the number of composers and artists covered and spend more time with their works and their life stories. 

I think the whole building history curriculum around historical fiction tries to follow this idea. The problem many people were seeing though, was that it was taken to such an extreme that the historical fiction was pushing out better things. So there certainly has to be balance. 

We can cover a broad range of subjects perhaps, but we may not get into as many of the details of each subject (i.e. fewer composers/artists, fewer books read, etc). I hope that makes some sense. I'm off to bed! :)

I'm listening to Andrew Kern's Mimetic Teaching and the Cultivation of Virtue. Awesome. I tried typing out what I'm enjoying most but it's so rich I'm going to have to think on it for awhile before I can discuss it with any sort of sense. :) the talk on boys is on my short list of listen to's.

Ha! surprisingly I didn't really enjoy this talk. Everyone kept beaming about it so it went to the top of my listen to list. Then I listened to it and felt like I wasted an hour. He spent the last 5 minutes talking about the steps to mimetic teaching but that only consisted of listing the steps. He didn't go into detail on them at all. I enjoyed what he had to say prior but was waiting fr him to get to mimetic teaching the entire time and it barely happened.

Ha! surprisingly I didn't really enjoy this talk. Everyone kept beaming about it so it went to the top of my listen to list. Then I listened to it and felt like I wasted an hour. He spent the last 5 minutes talking about the steps to mimetic teaching but that only consisted of listing the steps. He didn't go into detail on them at all. I enjoyed what he had to say prior but was waiting fr him to get to mimetic teaching the entire time and it barely happened.

I also didn't enjoy the talk. He was referring to a lot of people by name so it felt like it was just him talking to people he already knew, instead of to a new audience with people who need actual guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

I think about the Circe thread often, but I can't pinpoint any huge changes. I found the thread to be motivation to keep doing what I have been doing. I have Kern's "why are you doing this" post printed out and I refer to it occasionally. It keeps me grounded and reminds me what is important to my family. In fact, as I am in the midst of next year's planning and feeling very overwhelmed, I should probably pull it out again.

Could you post a link to his post (unless it's already been posted later in this thread. I'm just now reading through this one)? My friends and I listened to his talk from Cinci this year, Teaching from a state of rest, and it was fantastic.

• 1 month later...

I just discovered the original thread yesterday, and I wanted to thank everyone for sharing your insights and wisdom. It was a rough year for us here, difficult pregnancy followed by difficult birth, and taking care of new baby while dealing with health problems, and other issues meant I was barely keeping my head above water. Now baby is weaned, health is on the mend, summer is here, and I'm finally coming out of survival mode and am able to refocus and reboot. These threads, and this forum in general, are a Godsend!

• 1 month later...

. :D You might not have had that education but you were a fearless reader, and that's what's made the difference. 

Any parent who is willing to read and forge a path forward can do that for their child. 

A fearless reader  - I love this!  

Can I become a fearless leader by being a fearless reader? :lol:

“. . . the greatest service we can do to education today is to teach fewer subjects. No one has time to do more than a very few things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity in a dozen subjects we destroy his standards, perhaps for life.†-- C.S. Lewis

Thanks so much for this. Words to live by.