Menu

Does anyone watch the show Resurrection?

Mom in High Heels

Does anyone watch this?  What are your thoughts?  I can't decide how I feel about it.  On the one hand, I find it an intriguing, but on the other hand, I think it's creepy.  Does that make sense?  I really like the main character (the FBI agent, whose name I can never remember), and I want to know what that evil returned guy is up to.

I haven't started watching, BUT I'm reading the book that the show is based on, The Returned by Jason Mott.  And I'm not that far into it and it's already a bit creepy!  I'm going to decide whether or not to watch the show based on the next few weeks of people's reviews.  lol

We've been watching it too.  I hadn't realized it was based on a book before the last episode.  I bet the book is even more creepy.  I want to get the book (I bet it is good!), but I don't want to know what happens yet for the TV show. :)

I am wondering how many episodes they are planning on this thing being - because they seem to zip along in the story and assume quite a few things, I get the feeling they aren't sure it will make it as a show.  But maybe they are still finding their footing on getting the premise of the whole thing established. IDK.  

I love that it is creepy and I love that I don't know what is happening.  So many shows are so formulaic that it is easy to forecast the end of the episode a few minutes in.  So far, this one keeps me guessing. :)

What is the premise?

A number of people from a small town have come back to life exactly as they were the moment they died, but they are popping up in different places in the world and then they return to the town.  The investigator is trying to figure out why/what is going on, and the small-town doctor (who happens to be related to a number of key people in the resurrecting) is helping the investigator.

Not reading the thread...the show is premiering here in Australia tonight.  I'm recording the first episode but I'm not sure I'll watch the whole series.  I just finished the book and found it a bit anticlimactic.  The premise is cool, but the actual story in the book was a bit of a let down.  Still thought-provoking.  I imagine they'd have to change the character storylines quite a bit for tv.  Actually, just from the commercials they changed one major thing...the parents in the book are more elderly, I think their boy died fifty years before.  It's a major thing because it so affects everything about how they relate to their son and to other townsfolk. 

The note from the author at the end of the book says he wanted to explore what it would be like if you could just have that bit of more time with a loved one after they're gone.  Lovely idea.

I am almost done with the book--I like the title of it better--The Returned.

(I believe resurrection is not the same as recessitation.)

I have to say the book lingers in the mind. It brings up such good points--What if the person had Altzheimers? Are they really people? Do they have rights? Etc...

It's thought-provoking.

I won't be watching the series, tho.

The French version is on netflix. I was enjoying it, it was funny to see an American version show up right after I finished season one of the French version.

http://www.popmatters.com/review/179727-the-returned-les-revenants-season-one/

It is pretty creepy.

I would recommend watching the French one.  It takes place in the Alps and the scenery does set a certain tone. I tried to watch a couple episodes of the American version but it just wasn't as good IMO.

ETA: Just to warn the French version has nudity in it. 

The French version is on netflix. I was enjoying it, it was funny to see an American version show up right after I finished season one of the French version.

http://www.popmatters.com/review/179727-the-returned-les-revenants-season-one/

It is pretty creepy.

I would recommend watching the French one.  It takes place in the Alps and the scenery does set a certain tone. I tried to watch a couple episodes of the American version but it just wasn't as good IMO.

ETA: Just to warn the French version has nudity in it. 

I'd be shocked if the French version DIDN'T have nudity in it.  ;)

This show reminds me of that Stephen King book I can't remember the name of.  I keep wondering if the people will come back with the same personality as when they left or will they act like their evil twin.

Pet Sematary.  Thankfully it's not like that, not a horror show.

I've watched the premiere now and it's safe to say that it's only based on the book, not the book made into a movie/tv show, that's probably one of the reasons why it has a different name.  There are entirely new characters (Maggie- the doctor), the circumstances of the boy's death are different, even the fact that he was the first to return in the show.  I won't say more since some of the plot from the book may end up in the show.  I had to keep reminding myself it's only based on the book (chanted that to myself several times) so that I could focus on the show and not the differences.  I'll probably watch it, at least a few episodes, because the premise is so intriguing. 

I'm curious if this is supposed to be a mini-series?  They could certainly stretch it out to be several seasons.

I haven't started watching, BUT I'm reading the book that the show is based on, The Returned by Jason Mott. 

I just finished the book last weekend for a book club. While I was reading it, I heard about a French show called The Returned and wondered if it was based on the book. I only recently heard of the American show Resurrection, but didn't connect it to the book.

The book has a lot of plot holes. Maybe the show writers can close them, but I wasn't impressed with the book and so have no desire to watch either show.

• 3 weeks later...

Or like Alcatraz.

I really like that show!

I just started watching it on Hulu.  

It is creepy.  Not sure I can keep watching it, but I like it.

Dawn

Yes. Dh and I watch it. So that means it'll be canceled or get stupid like Touch did.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread—about Resurrection, no less!—but Resurrection is not an American version of The Returned but a completely separate show with a similar premise. The French series is based on a movie called They Came Back. Carlton Cuse is doing an American version for A&E soon.