Menu

CNN plane announcement at 10am

DawnM

Just 13 minutes away, but thought I would post if you wish to watch live:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/24/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html

I hope this is some real news on the missing plane.

ETA:  I am not sure this live coverage will be available online.....it says to watch CNN TV.   I am going to see if my local stations will broadcast something.

New analysis by Inmarsat and the AAIB confirm what the U.S. has said all along -- the plane went south over the Indian Ocean.

I believe the U.S. has known all along, but chose to keep a low profile and quietly push search efforts in that direction instead of stating it openly because they didn't want questions about how they knew.

13:47:BREAKING NEWS The following SMS message has been sent to relatives: "Malaysia Airlines deeply regrets that we have to assume beyond any reasonable doubt that MH370 has been lost and that none of those on board survived. As you will hear in the next hour from Malaysia's prime minister, we must now accept all evidence suggests the plane went down in the southern Indian Ocean."

Malaysia is acknowledging all are dead.

13:47:BREAKING NEWS The following SMS message has been sent to relatives: "Malaysia Airlines deeply regrets that we have to assume beyond any reasonable doubt that MH370 has been lost and that none of those on board survived. As you will hear in the next hour from Malaysia's prime minister, we must now accept all evidence suggests the plane went down in the southern Indian Ocean."

Malaysia is acknowledging all are dead.

There's a 21st century kick in the face. And I thought breaking up with someone via text was the lowest use of the device.

Malaysia Airlines statement/press release
http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/dark-site.html

PM's statement

New Straits Times link

Sydney Morning Herald link

ETA:

MH370 debris-search flight 'has been successful'

RAAF Orion search crew drops smoking markers after spotting up to four items of debris in the ocean that could be from missing Malaysian flight MH370.

Some family had requested text notification.

Exactly. I assume the texts were something recipients signed up to receive. I seriously doubt they replaced the calls and briefings and extension of condolences. Text is a way to get a short message out to many, fast. It's not some horrible thing.

There's a 21st century kick in the face. And I thought breaking up with someone via text was the lowest use of the device.

The SMS was more of a last resort according to their local paper.

"Malaysia Airlines added that it is in that spirit that they  informed the majority of the families in advance of the Prime  Minister’s statement in person and by telephone. 

“SMSs were used only as an additional means of communicating with the families,†it said. "