Menu

Teen/tween fashion: Magazines? Stores? Where do your girls shop?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Oldest DD is finally beginning to show some interest in dressing herself. She's not comfortable with me picking her clothes anymore, but she doesn't really know where to start herself. She's also in women's sizes now (juniors tend to be cut too slim for both of our tastes, and she's officially well out of kids' sizes). She's slim but not skinny, and she likes some of the juniors styles, but not the cuts. She'd fit better in women's petites (she's 5' 3"), but the styles aren't quite hip enough for her, and I really don't feel comfortable making her my little clone :lol:

So where do your teens/tweens shop for stylish but comfortable clothes? We do the usual Target/Gap/Old Navy, but I think she's looking for something more outside the box. She caught me watching The Kids Are All Right the other night, and she commented on the t-shirts the younger mom character was wearing. I did a quick search for one we both liked and found it: Free City for $158  :svengo: There has to be a middle ground between that and Target!

Also, are there fashion magazines you're comfortable letting your DDs read? I don't want to resort to Seventeen or Teen Vogue, but I know she would love to learn a bit more about what's stylish now. Are there decent alternative fashion magazines out there?

Thanks for the help. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with teen girl shopping!

ETA: Oh! Anthropologie!!! I just did a Google search for something else and that came up. That's definitely a style she and I can both agree on. I haven't shopped there since I *ahem* outgrew them, but I love their stuff, and there's one nearby. Are there more stores like that out there?

We spent a lot of time going through the racks at TJ Max when dd was that age. She also needed youthful, stylin, clothing in misses sizes. I find that fashion magazines teach a lot more than fashion so you might want to read through them first.

Justine magazine, though I had a big falling out with them the last time we renewed--the sub-contractor who handled subscriptions was ridiculous, and I could not get through to anyone at the actual magazine until I posted a complaint on their Facebook page.  Nevertheless, the magazine itself is wholesome and good.

As for where to shop for clothes, I asked this question a year or so ago and have persuaded my now-16  year old to step it up a bit in the fashion department.  She and my 14 year old shop a lot now at Lizard Thicket.  It is a small chain but growing, so if you have one nearby, please pack yourselves up and plan to stay a while.  The clothes are reasonably priced, not slutty, and both girls get tons and tons of compliments on their outfits from there.  Online, she has things from ModCloth, Downeast Basics, Charlotte Russe (CR is really hit or miss on sizes, but my daughter is an athlete and more difficult to fit than your average bear) and Garnet Hill ($$$), but Lizard Thicket is our very favorite brick and mortar store.  Also, we have a Francesca's Collection that can be great but is also very hit or miss.  It is awesome for accessories, though.

Target, Kohl's, consignment shop, TJ Maxx (I think we'd go here more often if it was closer to our house)

dd has gone to the mall with friends. She thinks most of the stores in the mall are a waste of money. I don't know how I got a teen girl who thinks like this, but I feel lucky.

On a related note, does anyone know of a fashion blog for teens/tweens? Kindof like the one someone linked here once where this cute girl posted her outfits everyday?

I heard a story on NPR of all places that suggested searching for "#otd" on Twitter. "Outfit of the Day."

• 5 months later...

My Dd is difficult to fit due to her broad swimmers shoulders so most junior stuff does not work for her. We have had success finding trendy clothes at Jc Penny online. They have a juniors plus section so the clothes have a more generous cut. She also occasionally finds something cute at sears. We also do old Navy for basics. I don't shop at forever 21 because the last time I was there the return policy was store credit only. I like the right to change my mind and get my money back.

She is a geeky tee person and she loves tshirts from www.freshbrewedtee.com and www.teefury.com

We like thrift stores and consignment stores, Cato, and Target, but her favorite for new is Hot Topic (fan tshirts and accessories for her favorite shows and characters--Doctor Who, Deadpool, Supernatural, Black Butler, etc). When my daughter was a tween and interested in fashion, we subscribed to Kiki magazine. Now, she occasionally gets StyleWatch. I'll have to ask her about Justine.

DD15 is tall and thin. She had learned some hard lessons on quality vs cheap (but cute) clothing from stores like Rue21 etc.

She tends to shop at

Hollister-expensive regular prices but everything goes on sale quickly. Current high school style clothes. The quality is wash/dry and items last about a year or so before showing too much pilling/wearing out.  

Ambercrombie- very similar styles to Hollister but a bit better qualtiy. More geared toward college age kids than high school. Expensive for what they clothes are but wash/dry and last more than a year.

Rue21/Charlotte Russe/Forever 21/Papaya Cheap clothes and cheap quality.  Predominately...Hand wash/lay flat items. My daughter will only buy 1 or 2 items a year from stores like these, and only something she loves because of the extra handling the clothes require. 

Express/New York and Co.  DD can find somethings in these stores and since they are marketed for more 'young professionals' the qualtiy is there and the items are typically wash/dry.  Items last more than a year.

Pac Sun/Tillys/Vans/Zummies Skater style clothing.  Not cheap but reasonable quality. Casual styles with cute detailing.  Some brands are heavily Logo'd like Diamond...others like Roxy are not necessarily logo'd. It Takes some time to dig through racks to find the cute stuff, but it is there if you like the casual style. 

Pink/Victorias Secret has some cute items in the cozy-by-the-fire or yoga-pant-hoodie-style. Not cheap but honestly not bad quality for how thin some of the fabrics are.  Wash/dry quality and stay in good shape.  Pink is very Popular in our area and doesn't carry the underwear store stigma that some think of from Victorias Secret.  Yes, they sell bras and undies but so do most other teen stores.  

American Eagle/Aeropostale.  Wash/dry quality and last about a year. DD doesn't shop at Aero due to heavy logo use. AE is a bit better but she only buys an item or two a year from there. 

Macys/Khols.  She doesn't usually find much there aside from an occasional basic.  Wash/dry quality but she has had shrinkage issues in the Juniors sections that make the clothes not fit right once they are washed a few times.  Some brands are better than others, but she doesn't really find much there that she likes, so we just skip them usually. 

For jeans...dd loves Miss Me.  They are the ones with the bling all over the pocket.  They are in the womens department in most stores but are very common in the teen group.  They run about $100 per pair so avoid this trend if you aren't willing to start a new budget just for jeans.  LOL  They are in many stores like Macys, but also in stores that cater to the Rodeo group (farm/ranch type stores).

Buckle has cute, but bling heavy clothes and they are a bit expensive.  Decent quality but prepare to leave a chunk of change behind if you fall in love with $150+ pairs of jeans. 

Magazines.....if you haven't checked out Teen Vogue, you might be surprised. Dd got a free subscription that just started showing up one day and I was prepared to toss it.  She says that the articles are actually pretty good and uplifting/positive.  I haven't read it myself but you may want to check it out.  Like regular Vogue it is an Ad based magazine so the primary focus is on looking at the Ads, the content is there as a filler.  LOL