Menu

Explain knitting socks to me please.

Moxie

My mom knits socks for me. I've got a drawer full. I think they must be fun to knit, as she is constantly knitting socks and buying sock yarn.

I like them because they are fairly thick, they keep my feet warm, they come in fun colors, and she knits the toe of the sock to fit my long second toe. They last for a long time. I really like to wear them with my boots, as they just seem to make the boots fit better. I don't quite know why.

My sister, otoh, does not care for them. She doesn't like the texture, and prefers very thin socks in general. More socks for me! :P

Cat

I guess I've never touched sock yarn. Is it just stretchy yarn?

No. It does have to have some stretch to fit properly, but it is made of a wide variety of natural fibers ( wool, cotton, bamboo, merino, etc) is dyed in lots of colors and patterns (including self-striping and one that works up into a tiny floral pattern). It's commonly considered the best yarn on the market. Lots of hats, shawls, scarves and other items are made of sock yarn because it's so lovely.

I guess I've never touched sock yarn. Is it just stretchy yarn?

Sock yarn is generally thin and made of wool and/or a wool blend like 75%wool/25% nylon (the nylon gives more strength and helps the sock to last) or more luxurious with blends of cashmere, silk, and very soft merino wool. 

Here are a couple places that have really nice sock yarn - Cephalopod Yarns  and  madelinetosh sock yarn

and a shop with a variety of sock yarns Paradise Fibers sock yarn

I just recently was bitten by the knitting socks bug. It is just something that is very satisfying to do, the yarns are wonderful to work with, and you can really create something that is one-of-a-kind.

Just wanted to add that  self-striping sock yarn adds a whole new level of fun to sock knitting!

Another thing to add about sock yarn is washability. A more knowledgeable person might add info since I don't know the difference between the types of yarn except for how they feel when I wear them.  I try to remember to hang my socks dry and such but sometimes they get hidden in a pant leg or some helpful person decides to do the laundry for me (which is lovely!), so my socks get washed and even thrown in the dryer. My mom uses two different types of yarn for my socks. One kind of yarn she knits into a little larger version of the sock, and it gets soft and thick and felty, which is lovely. These are my favorites with boots. The other kind of yarn can go through the washer and dryer just fine, though I try to hang them dry anyway so they'll last longer.

Cat

I am not a sock knitter, but I am a knitter. What can I say, we like what we like. If did like knitting with toothpicks and fancy string then I would knit socks. (come at me sock knitters :lol: )

Sock knitting has something for everyone. Some people like the fancy yarn and so there is lots of fancy (and not fancy) sock yarn. Some people like knitting with different kinds of stitches, so there are feather and fan socks and well.. I could just go on and on about all the different stitches. Other people like colour and for them there are fair isle socks or stripes or self striping sock yarn...If you like to make things and give them away socks make great gifts. If you like to knit for yourself who doesn't like a nice pair of socks? If you are the type of knitter who feels guilty if s/he is not knitting a 'practical' thing socks will always be useful. If you like to knit fun things, what could be more luxurious and non-necessary than homemade socks?

I wish I liked knitting them, I really do, but I just don't find it appealing

Another thing to add about sock yarn is washability. A more knowledgeable person might add info since I don't know the difference between the types of yarn except for how they feel when I wear them.  I try to remember to hang my socks dry and such but sometimes they get hidden in a pant leg or some helpful person decides to do the laundry for me (which is lovely!), so my socks get washed and even thrown in the dryer. My mom uses two different types of yarn for my socks. One kind of yarn she knits into a little larger version of the sock, and it gets soft and thick and felty, which is lovely. These are my favorites with boots. The other kind of yarn can go through the washer and dryer just fine, though I try to hang them dry anyway so they'll last longer.

Cat

Wool (from sheep ;) felts. The fibers grip each other and don't let go. Pure, regular wool must never be machine washed or dried, because it will come out doll sized and 3 inches thick. 

Superwash merino wool is a special kind of wool that felts less. It can be washed and , I think, dried.

Wool is often mixed with another, nonfelting fiber like nylon to prevent or reduce felting. 

Other fibers like angora (from bunnies!), alpacas, bamboo and silk don't felt at all.

Sock yarns are typically made from washable blends because they have to put up with much more rigorous wear t h an , say, a scarf.

The sizes are usually Men's, ladies', child's, and baby. If you wear a normal size shoe, order a ladies' size sock. 

I would look for a natural fiber plus something not stretchy. Acrylic socks are shameful. 

Thanks! I wear a size 7 so that's pretty medium size. I figured it's like regular socks- one size fits many. 

Natural fiber, check.  Are some natural fibers stretchy?  I live where it's cold about 6-7 months a year. Warm hand knitted socks would make me happy. 

In addition to the above mentioned reason, just because I like the process of making something that is both beautiful and  functional.  Most everything I make is "a lot of work", but I feel satisfied by having made something lovely.  

I am currently knitting one of the slip stitch dishtowels in a tutorial from Purl Bee's site.  Someone asked me what I was doing and an eyebrow went up when I said knitting a dishtowel.  Yeah, it is a lot of work but gosh is it pretty!  Plus there is something meditative about repeating the pattern in the yarns.

Here is a host of information on socks knitted on an antique sock knitting machine.  http://shadysidefarm.blogspot.com/search/labels/Socks  They make them from the wool from their own sheep.  Lots of stuff I never knew.  I can't get the link to go directly to the sock page but if you click on it and then scroll down a bit on the left there is a part that says "labels"  Click on the one that says "socks (20)" and you should get there.

Here is a host of information on socks knitted on an antique sock knitting machine.  http://shadysidefarm.blogspot.com/search/labels/Socks  They make them from the wool from their own sheep.  Lots of stuff I never knew.  I can't get the link to go directly to the sock page but if you click on it and then scroll down a bit on the left there is a part that says "labels"  Click on the one that says "socks (20)" and you should get there.

How interesting!  I had never seen these circular sock knitting machines before.  Thank you for the link.

I am not a sock knitter, but I am a knitter. What can I say, we like what we like. If did like knitting with toothpicks and fancy string then I would knit socks. (come at me sock knitters :lol: )

Reminds me of an art installation I saw by a woman knitting a flash with telephone poles and some heavy equipment.

I must be doing something wrong as my knitted socks don't fit well in shoes at all. But they are very comfy. And fun to knit.

Do your socks have negative ease? They should measure slightly small--I think it's about 10%--so they can stretch over your foot and leg. Otherwise your sock will have a tendency to bunch up when you put your shoes on. Keep in mind that generally hand-knit socks are thicker than commercial socks, so your shoes will feel tighter with hand-knit socks. But if the socks have negative ease they won't bunch up or puddle around your ankles.

As an example, I have a 10" foot, so I knit my socks to about 9.25" long. With typical fingering yarn* (Knit Picks Stroll, Red Heart Heart & Sole, Lion Brand Sock-ease) I cast on 64 sts on US1 and get 8 sts/in which easily fits over my 10" lower leg.

*Some sock yarns are labeled fingering weight but get a bigger gauge, like Patons Kroy, so you'll need to adjust accordingly.

I have knit a few pairs of socks.  None of them get warn, because I have not managed to get them just the right size.  It is fun to knit though - a small project with some technical skills.  Sometimes I want a knitting project that includes a little engineering, you know?  They are small and easy to carry around, and nice thing to knit in the summer.

I will say that the tighter the knit across the stress points of the sock, the longer they will hold up, but the more demanding it is on my old hands.  I don't have arthritis or any major hand issues, and I already feel like knitting a really firm sock fabric is a bit of a young woman's sport. 

I will say that the tighter the knit across the stress points of the sock, the longer they will hold up, but the more demanding it is on my old hands.  I don't have arthritis or any major hand issues, and I already feel like knitting a really firm sock fabric is a bit of a young woman's sport. 

I do have arthritis- I use addi turbo needles for socks- much less stress on my hands.  But I will say I have to be careful not to knit just socks, or knit socks too often or my hands will feel it.

I am currently knitting one of the slip stitch dishtowels in a tutorial from Purl Bee's site.  Someone asked me what I was doing and an eyebrow went up when I said knitting a dishtowel.  Yeah, it is a lot of work but gosh is it pretty!  Plus there is something meditative about repeating the pattern in the yarns.

Thanks for sharing these. I've been looking for a new project to knit, and I think I may have found it with these. I'll just have to see if I can find linen yarn!

Do your socks have negative ease? They should measure slightly small--I think it's about 10%--so they can stretch over your foot and leg. Otherwise your sock will have a tendency to bunch up when you put your shoes on. Keep in mind that generally hand-knit socks are thicker than commercial socks, so your shoes will feel tighter with hand-knit socks. But if the socks have negative ease they won't bunch up or puddle around your ankles.

As an example, I have a 10" foot, so I knit my socks to about 9.25" long. With typical fingering yarn* (Knit Picks Stroll, Red Heart Heart & Sole, Lion Brand Sock-ease) I cast on 64 sts on US1 and get 8 sts/in which easily fits over my 10" lower leg.

*Some sock yarns are labeled fingering weight but get a bigger gauge, like Patons Kroy, so you'll need to adjust accordingly.

This is helpful thank you. It is probable they weren't small enough. And I used patons kroy. I wondered if the yarn was just a bit too thick.

I have done sleep socks in sport or even worsted weight and we love those. Really comfy.

This is helpful thank you. It is probable they weren't small enough. And I used patons kroy. I wondered if the yarn was just a bit too thick.

I have done sleep socks in sport or even worsted weight and we love those. Really comfy.

I find Patons Kroy to be closer to a sport weight gauge. When I use this for socks I cast on 52 over US2 for my size. If you want denser socks you can cast on more sts with a smaller needle, but this works well for me. (I have average tension, not loose or tight.)

A couple months ago I forgot to double-check how many stitches to cast on for a new pair of Kroy socks. I ended up casting on 56--I could have sworn that's how many I'd used before. But no. Those socks are loose and bunch-y. So they feel ok right when I put them on, but if I then put my foot in a shoe the sock bunches up. And even if I just wear them around the house, the socks start to get really loose and slip around on my feet.

Enjoy your socks and sock-making! It may take some experimenting to get them just right but it will be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...