Menu

Living in Italy -- nearly 5 months in a hotel and counting.

LisaKinVA

The past few days have just been awful-attitude days.  Most days, I can embrace the suck...but then there are others when everything just piles on and you are tired.  You want to scream and shout and let it all out.  Yes, we still have a lot to be grateful for...we're here, we're healthy (comparatively speaking), we have  a roof over our heads (upon which I hit my head on nearly a daily basis), and we have food to eat (such as it is, that can be prepared and stored in Italian-hotel-sized kitchens).  So, this update is a little less chipper...and a bit more sarcastic.  You are free to laugh, because even in my current state of mind I can see the humor in it all.  Frankly, I'm just tired of hotel life.  The adventure wore away long ago...and it's really quite a drudgery I'm just slogging through.  Even those long years in the basement are looking quite rosy.

Here is the suck part...hotel beds, drivers who go 40km under the speed in the right lane limit while drivers going nearly double the speed limit flash you to get over...people who park in no-parking zones (it's actually an exit from a building...and you have to make a tight-radius turn around a low concrete wall...and people park there to avoid the rain, meanwhile half the parking lot is empty)...people who park in the middle of the street (which is narrow anyhow), and leave their driver's side door OPEN while they "run inside" for a little while.  Drivers who turn OUT of their way to drive through a puddle thoroughly splashing you, your dog and your child as you try to dart out of the way into a gated drive (to be fair, that happened to us in the states, too)...drivers backing up the exit ramp you're trying to exit on...parking behind you so you cannot exit the parking lot...narrow marble stairs that have sharp-triangle turns which I have fallen down 3x, spraining my ankle and a wrist...slippery tile stairs I slid down in a none-too graceful manner...Common Core math that has taken methods of teaching I've seen in Math Mammoth and Singapore and twisted them into something wholly un-recognizable and inappropriate for a 7yo...who is asked to explain (in paragraph form) how they derived their answer...homework for 2nd graders that takes 2 hours (man, I can't wait until we are DONE with this part), a husband who has to travel and leave you to take everyone everywhere...and figure out how to get back to the dog before she goes nuts...the rain...the days and days of rain...meat rationing at the commissary...being out of bacon for months...Italian mail authorities holding back (and in some cases returning) FPO/APO packages destined for our bases demanding VAT taxes (lucky bases whose mail went through Milan didn't have these issues)...being no closer to moving into a house than we were 2 weeks ago...kids who are crabby...a dog who is outgrowing her small space, and having 3 leashes snap in the last week...no blender, no Vitamix, no freezer space, barely any refrigerator space...going to the Support Site...not being able to submit the application for my son to STEM camp because of an error...no Panera Sesame Seed Bagels....having to pay to remove dd's braces and then put on new ones...knowing that there is a 50m pool less than 200 meters away that we can't use because we aren't NATO personnel...the only girl my 12yo dd knows had a birthday party and wasn't invited (our sponsor's daughter...sponsor made a point of lamenting how her kids were never invited to things...and have excluded our dd's twice...which I find more odd than anything).  People not picking up dog poop on the SS (Americans)...not that Italians do it either, but on SS they have poop-bag dispensers and special cans all over the place....being expected to embrace the suck, because you're in Italy and can have this awesome experience, so you can't say anything negative without fear of reprisal from those who just embrace the suck better than you (or maybe, they are single, don't have 5 kids a high-drive puppy and have been stuck in a hotel for 4 1/2 months...)  I miss my own bed, my sheets...my winter clothes...my books...my cooking things...waaah.

And the silver lining...I found salted caramel Hagen Das Ice Cream at the Commissary! (in teeny-tiny "single serve" portions, but it's MINE...)  JannInTX who spent an hour with my son working through some math things...and actually got him motivated (it only lasted 3 days...but it was a bright spot in my weekend)...Dana Mosely of Chalkdust who e-mailed me and said he'd be happy to work something out for my kids should we run out of other math options...U Md Europe that offers a DE program, even if course options are really limited, and kids can only take one 3 credit hour course a semester...it's an option!  Abeka...who forgives my neglect in getting DVDs back to them when they were due.  The people who always go out of their way to tell me my lights are on (they go off automatically), but they are very nice to try to help me!...MP's who unlock my car after I've locked them in the car...homeschool families who go out of their way to lend a helping hand.  A reverse cyclone coming up from Africa bringing warmth...so that I don't miss my winter clothes for awhile.

Lastly...KUDOS to all of the military wives for all they put up with when their husbands are overseas...who have to pack up and move their families repeatedly...deal with the heartbreak that goes along with it...and who understand exactly how I feel.  Because yes...my dh is not here to embrace the suck with me.

Now...I'm getting that ice cream.

Ahh Lisa. The bit about how the Italians drive made me remember and laugh. It is quite amusing to watch when you are just visiting but everything is different when you live it day after day.

Is there any progress on new rentals? I am not familiar with your situation entirely - are you military or not? I thought you had some kind of help through military installations...it would drive me crazy not to have a kitchen.

Can you find one activity that everyone enjoys and do it often? This is a time IMHO when one needs something to look forward to daily. I suppose you have the salted ice cream for that. :)

What are the steps to getting housing? How much control do you have over the whole process?

Ahh Lisa. The bit about how the Italians drive made me remember and laugh. It is quite amusing to watch when you are just visiting but everything is different when you live it day after day.

Is there any progress on new rentals? I am not familiar with your situation entirely - are you military or not? I thought you had some kind of help through military installations...it would drive me crazy not to have a kitchen.

Can you find one activity that everyone enjoys and do it often? This is a time IMHO when one needs something to look forward to daily. I suppose you have the salted ice cream for that. :)

What are the steps to getting housing? How much control do you have over the whole process?

We agreed to a house 2 weeks ago...but we're still waiting on registration, pre-contract, inspections...housing is in control of the process at the moment.  We are probably still 4 weeks out (that's assuming the house fails inspection the first time, as they usually do).

You're living in the land of gelato and you want Hagen Das?

Living in a hotel that long would drive me insane.  Trying to homeschool in a hotel would drive me over a cliff.  I haven't kept up with your transition but I guess you haven't found suitable housing?  Where is your stuff being stored?

And my dh once navigated the Etoile in Paris without blinking.  Drivers in Naples made him break out in a cold sweat.   

You're living in the land of gelato and you want Hagen Das?

Living in a hotel that long would drive me insane.  Trying to homeschool in a hotel would drive me over a cliff.  I haven't kept up with your transition but I guess you haven't found suitable housing?  Where is your stuff being stored?

And my dh once navigated the Etoile in Paris without blinking.  Drivers in Naples made him break out in a cold sweat.   

I never know what flavors will be for sale...and when I feel like today, yeah salted caramel Haagen  Das fits the bill.  I honestly don't miss most things from the states, and now that we are 100% paying our own way, I've put the kabobs on chips, crackers, candy...essentially junk food.  We're still buying cherrio's, kix, and sandwich bread, boxed Mac and cheese and a few other things normally not found in our house...but some days are meant for old favorites.  I suppose I should be really grateful that they don't carry my favorite candy...lol. our stuff is in a warehouse somewhere around Naples.  We had a house, fell through at the last moment...had to start over.  

I feel for you.  I was stuck in a hotel for 6 weeks before we had paperwork sorted out.  I couldn't imagine 5 months!  4 weeks into it we found out the hotel had bed bugs when the kids woke up covered.  Hotel living can be awful and disheartening.  Hopefully you all move into a house soon so it can start feeling like a home.

Lisa I don't know what to say other than to try to retain your sanity and your sense of humor. This will, eventually, end...   When I was single, I went to out of town job assignments with my Old English Sheepdog and twice we were lucky and stayed in motel rooms with a little kitchenette. I am not a cook, but it helped to have that capability. With your large family, I know this is getting very very old.

Regarding the Common Core classes: Hopefully, they will be OK and nothing political in them. Texas doesn't participate in Common Core, so we are not exposed to that. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed, sending good thoughts your way, and will include in my prayers that soon your family will be out of the hotel and into the house. GL

Adding to "the suck,"  the puppy has worms.  She vomited this morning, I didn't think much of it.  Kid said she pooped and he picked it up (which I strongly disbelieve at this point), I put her in her crate for the night...and she vomited.  I thought it weird, because she refused to eat (which she's done off and on since we got her...she really only eats when she's hungry...unless it's something she can take from off the table/counter, or a treat from training, etc).  I got her out of the crate, and noticed her tummy rumbling...tried to give her dinner again, even though it's late, she drank, but didn't want to eat.  I took her outside...walked around the hotel parking lot...cannon butt...checked the diarrhea...noodle like worms everywhere.  I will call the vet first thing and get her treatment started ASAP.  And yes...with all of the stray dogs...pretty certain she got it here.  There is dog poop everywhere.  Poor puppy.  No wonder she's so bitey (we had calmed down this behavior a lot...but it's recently escalated.)   Another trip for me...yay.

Awww...hang in there! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

You know even if you were in a great house and everything was going hunky-dory, there is a well known dip in the 5-8 months overseas experience. I was so glad someone told me to expect a 'well this is not fun' crash about six months into our living overseas. Up to that point, everything had been an exciting adventure, but then standing in line at the post office and watching the workers stop for lunch...mentally, I just blew it. by the time I got back to our tiny apartment, I knew what was going on. It took me (and the rest of us) about six weeks to work through it. After that, living there was again an adventure.

Went through it when we came home as well.

You have had more than your share of 'adventures' :coolgleamA: in Italy, but I suspect in a few more weeks, you'll be back to your chirpy self. Especially if your living arrangements are better--and your mail gets through. In the meantime, eat all the ice cream you need...This ex-expat is sending you good thoughts! Someday you'll look back on this and laugh...right after you've shuddered at the thought of revisiting these times. :grouphug:

Awww...hang in there! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

You know even if you were in a great house and everything was going hunky-dory, there is a well known dip in the 5-8 months overseas experience. I was so glad someone told me to expect a 'well this is not fun' crash about six months into our living overseas. Up to that point, everything had been an exciting adventure, but then standing in line at the post office and watching the workers stop for lunch...mentally, I just blew it. by the time I got back to our tiny apartment, I knew what was going on. It took me (and the rest of us) about six weeks to work through it. After that, living there was again an adventure.

Went through it when we came home as well.

You have had more than your share of 'adventures' :coolgleamA: in Italy, but I suspect in a few more weeks, you'll be back to your chirpy self. Especially if your living arrangements are better--and your mail gets through. In the meantime, eat all the ice cream you need...This ex-expat is sending you good thoughts! Someday you'll look back on this and laugh...right after you've shuddered at the thought of revisiting these times. :grouphug:

I was going to say the same thing, but didn't quite know how to put it. We even experienced this when moving across the northern border, you know to the country that so many insist is just like our own ;) A year and a half in I hardly remember why I felt so on the outs. Some things continue to bother me, but they are things that would bother me regardless of country, i.e. super small kitchen/dining space for our family size, no washer and dryer(that's the most difficult for me) and no yard for the kids to play/dig in. Some days I even forget about these :)

Hang in there, soon enough I'm sure you'll have your own place, your clothes and your books!

Oh gosh, on top of everything the dog has worms!!! :(

I spent a month in Firenze years ago and remember the drivers oh so well. It's truly something to behold. Italian drivers are legendary! :ack2: When I was there, the train workers were on and off strike, so several times they just stopped and we would have to walk to the next town or station. :)

I was wondering how a family living in Italy has to follow common core curriculum, but the why isn't important, and you have my sympathy. DS10 did it last year in PS and we tore our hair out over some of the problems and all the writing. Grrrr! :(

I hope doggie feels better Immediately(!) and the next few weeks until you finally move into your house pass quickly. :)

I couldn't imagine that many months in a hotel room with children.   I use to go nuts doing the hotel think on vacation with my kids.  They were so restless.

My dh is out of town living in a Marriott.  The first week is nice but after that it starts driving him nuts.  I get my nightly call how he hates hotel life.

Really hope that you are able to get in a home soon. 

Still think its great living in historic Italy hope you get your excitement back - I would be so excited as someone that's been stuck in states my whole life.

You're living in the land of gelato and you want Hagen Das?  â€‹I was thinking the same thing!  Even if you don't know what flavor is going to be for sale, you can almost guarantee it will be delicious!

And my dh once navigated the Etoile in Paris without blinking. OMG, that is no easy thing!  I've done it several times and each time I dressed it about 20 km before I actually got to it.  I never had a problem, but just knowing how nuts those people are always made me nervous.  Drivers in Naples made him break out in a cold sweat.   Naples is the wildest place for traffic (IMO) outside of Cairo.

Sorry it's so bad.

You brought back a memory for me. My dad taught for University of MD University College as it used to be called. He taught economics and transportation. That was his second job that paid for me to go to college debt free.  I used to work for the HQ of UMUC in Heidelberg as the "executive assistant" (read: secretary) to the director of the Middle East Division.  I took several classes for free.  I already had my degree, but it was nice to take some classes.

Lisa, it will get better.  Once you guys get in a house, it will be infinitely better.