Menu

Poll on Pregnancy vs. Breastfeeding

MamaBearTeacher

Pregnancy or Breastfeeding?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which period did you find more difficult physically? Pregnancy ? Or the first 6-8 months of Breastfeeding and postpartum? Choose how you feel about this question overall even though it might have been different with each child.

• Pregnancy
    • Breastfeeding and postpartum
    • Other

I found pregnancy fairly easy despite the nausea, fatigue and having to pee so often at the end. I found Breastfeeding made me so tired and drained. I hear other women complain more about pregnancy. I never felt I needed a nearby parking spot during pregnancy but after giving birth, I did, especially with a cars seat or stroller.

I tend to say, "They are a lot easier to take care if on the inside."

I had average-to-easy pregnancies.

My first newborn was colicky (or near-colicky, or high-needs) and my second newborn was average in difficulty.

Neither my pregnancies not my babies had medical complications.

Postpartum was absolutely the most difficult for me but it had nothing to do with breastfeeding.

It was completely the lack of sleep an being "on" 24/7 because I never knew when I would be needed.

My kids both started a better sleeping routine at about 7 months and then I felt like a new woman.

My first pregnancy was fine until the last trimester, and overall my second pregnancy was fine too. I had SPD, though, and it was especially bad with my second baby. There were mornings when I had to pop my hips back in place (at least it felt that way) to even walk. Still, for me breastfeeding, dealing with milk supply problems, and the postpartum period in general were more physically difficult. DD8 also had to go back to the hospital at a week old because of jaundice.

Even though this pregnancy is nearing the end and I'm so exhausted from not able to sleep well due to size....I'm tiny and this baby belly is really making it up comfy to do a lot. I tire easily and I'm hormonal. Still...knowing how I am after having baby I'd say that's the worst for me....I have the standard nursing owies and cries in the first month, but the healing of my body and the emotions out of whack are all added to the nursing, sleep deprived, mommy duties, homeschooling duties, and all the other things that rely on me to get done become a challenge the first few months. Thankfully this time around I have actual "helpful children"! My oldest is almost 11, middle is almost 9, youngest is 5. I feel this time around I'll have a lot more help than I've had previously from them as they were much younger. I don't expect them to do tons, but boy it'll be nice to have a few extra hands those tough weeks in the beginning.

I adore being pregnant. After the first trimester, especially. But I hate breastfeeding. I've nursed all 3 of my kids 13 months, each, and honestly I wonder if I would have been a better mother if I had bottle fed. I just don't know. I struggled with thrush, low supply...near starvation (my first literally sucked the life out of me) LOL. My first was especially difficult; figuring out how to take care of myself AND a baby. The baby was easy...feed, burp, change, rock. Snuggle. But I didn't know how to make myself a priority.

I don't really mind pregnancy despite some complications every time, and I love breastfeeding. But I absolutely dread the first few months of dealing with a baby. I am an emotional mess for a long time after a baby. I'd be willing to be pregnant again, but I have no intention of being a parent to another child ever again.

I voted post partum. My pregnancies were both pretty easy. My second was a bit harder because I had to chase after my very active three year old. There were a few days when I felt like I really needed some rest, but it wasn't in the cards. Both of mine were cesareans, so that added difficulty to the first couple of weeks post baby. My first was a very difficult infant (who hasn't really gotten much easier), and the lack of sleep was almost torture. This baby is much more mellow, but I think it's still harder than pregnancy.

I am physically unable to breastfeed, so I don't quite know how to answer the question, does not being able to do it at all make it 'harder'? I am usually great after birth, even for my first with my extended post-partum 'morning sickness' I felt great and can't wait for this one to finally be out. 

I have hellish pregnancies though. Hyperemesis for the first half or so if I use multiple medications, or the whole time and 3mo post partum if I don't treat it until after the 1st trimester. Then, just as that becomes manageable around 20-24 weeks, my hips go so loose that I am unable to walk for long periods and require a wheelchair, plus a lot of pain involved. On top of that my babies are always small (and perfectly healthy) which causes issues with the doctors who want them bigger and try to force once thing after another onto me. I developed cholestasis with my first, and perinatal psychosis with my second. That was a scary one, caused by pre-existing PTSD which has improved considerably since, and hopefully dealt with in such a way that it should never happen again as long as I remain vigilant and ensure I am giving myself enough self care.

We've discovered I have to be 'selfish' for the sake of my family when pregnant, because between HG, psychosis and extra-loose hips, not attending to a high level of self care will eventually result in my inability to function at all. This pregnancy has been by far the best for my entire family, even DH who has had to pick up the slack, because I have been selfish, let things slide, told DH when I need something even if it is inconvenient, hired a cleaner, and sat around watching TV or reading for large portions of the day during the worst of the nausea. It means that now, at 24 weeks pregnant, my husband is smiling, formal education is happening almost every day, the house is maintainable and managable, and the kids and I are thriving and even doing things like family trips and special activities, all this being despite some major extended family drama and new health issues for DH. This time last pregnancy, DH was almost ready to walk out on me and we were fighting every day, nothing was getting done at all and I wasn't able to be alone with DD1 at night (which was an improvement from not being alone with her at all during the first trimester)

I LOVE children, I have always wanted a large family, and I manage really well with infants (I actually struggle with that 12-18 month age bracket where they get whiny, are always teething, want to get into everything but can't talk, and are generally very intense), I don't find that newborn period of time at all difficult for some reason. I just wish I could get that without being pregnant! This pregnancy, at least, has given me hope that while it will always be unpleasant for me, it doesn't have to be the unmedicated misery of the first or the dysfunctional mess of the second. This pregnancy has, in comparison, been amazing!

I voted postpartum because my last baby never slept and I have had PPD with other babies. Breastfeeding doesn't usually bother me and I have been blessed that I haven't had problems, but I was so exhausted with last baby that bfing was something I didn't want to do but did anyway.

I wonder though if I should have voted pregnancy. Is labor and delivery a part of pregnancy? Because I have easy pregnancies and really long and awful labors/births. My last one was 22 hours at home and that's how I knew he was the last one.

With the first, pregnancy was a breeze and the adjustment period was more difficult - but not too bad, really. I was able to really take care of myself with the first pregnancy and was in awesome shape, which I think made all the difference. 

With the other three, pregnancy was much more difficult. I find it really hard to be a good parent if I'm physically uncomfortable in my skin, especially when I'm really not able to do my own self-care. I'm not in shape any more. At all.

Guest submarines

I never found breastfeeding to be difficult. I found some periods of the first months more difficult than being pregnant, but certainly not due to breastfeeding. I actually think it greatly simplified the first months post-partum. Pregnancy vs breastfeeding dichotomy is hard for me to understand, as it seems like it is comparing apples and oranges. I voted "other."

Pregnancy wasn't too bad - I had a pretty average pregnancy. Breast feeding was a nightmare, I never produced enough milk, DS had a hard time latching, we both had thrush, daily visits with a lactation consultant. Recovering from an emergency C section wasn't easy, and the post pregnancy hormones were unexpected! I have never had PMS issues or mood swings and they really took me by surprise and hit me hard. I love babies, but I'm finding I really love 5 1/2! 

Sleep deprivation was definitely the hardest part.  Pregnancy and breastfeeding were mildly inconvenient... I wouldn't do them for fun, but overall I didn't have any major issues.  But going without a full night's sleep, for months on end, was brutal.  I think I'm still not back to normal.

I voted for postpartum. My first two pregnancies were easy but postpartum was awful because of lack of sleep. This time it switched, though. I had a terrible time sleeping during pregnancy due to SPD, but she is an amazing sleeper. I love breastfeeding except all my babies have been sensitive to milk/soy so the restricted diet sucks.

"Other."

Honestly, I didn't find either pregnancy or breastfeeding/postpartum especially tough.

I was really lucky and had easy pregnancies, for the most part. When I was preggers with my daughter, I had some issues that were not related to the pregnancy that made life a bit unpleasant, but it wasn't about being pregnant. And we had a scare when I was pregnant with my son (wonky AFP tests) that caused some stress. But I wasn't sick or really uncomfortable with either one.

I was also lucky to have easy, natural labors and no significant postpartum issues.

Breastfeeding was tiring, mostly because it meant I couldn't share feeding duties with anyone else. (Neither of my kids would consent to take a bottle at all, ever.) And my son was a big eater from the beginning. So, there were days when I felt like all I did was nurse him. But I liked breastfeeding. So, it was worth it and, mostly, not a big deal.

I found it much, much more difficult and exhausting to parent older kids. For me, the early parts were a breeze by comparison.

This is sort of funny. I thought of my last child and picked pregnancy despite the fact that I spent a couple of months bedridden after his birth healing from the biggest tear my obstetrician had ever seen and life threatening blood loss.

What's pain and ridiculous weakness compared to having to get up to pee at night, eh? :D