Menu

So where do you get boxes for moving?

jillian

Grocery stores will give you boxes if you ask. I've used those before. My favorite moving boxes are paper boxes - the big cartons. One move, my MIL worked at a college and she was able to get tons of paper cartons. They are awesome and if you can get some of those from an office, I'd recommend it. You can buy them from U-Haul or places like that too, but we've usually been able to find what we need for free.

Home depot has the cheapest boxes in our area (by something like $.04 under Lowe's and $.20 under Uhaul). I think they even have specialty boxes now, like wardrobe boxes and such.

I've never gotten them used on Craigslist, but I usually give them away there.

Eta: paper cartons are AWESOME book boxes! :D

I second banana boxes-- they are sturdy, the lids slide on and off (no tape, and marking isn't imperative) and they have handles on the sides.  They aren't too big or awkward.  And they are free.  I started converting all my "storage" stuff (decorations, costumes etc...) in them.    They have a hole on the bottom and top, so I tear up an extra lid and put a piece on the bottom and the top-- so count in an extra box every so often to be used for hole coverage. 

Liquor store boxes are great for books (they are small and cheap and sturdy)

Instead of lots of rubbermaid containers, we use trash cans for storage as well-- they have handles, wheels and are waterproof up to the top (3 ft?) so a flooded basement isn't a huge deal and you can stack them in a moving van if you have to.   Good for off season clothes, precious children stuff.

Use towels and blankets for packing (breakables--pictures)

Around here the grocery stores/big box stores recycle/get paid for returning boxes, so that did not work for me.

But I found a company on craigslist that sold gently used (one time) shipping boxes. It was very clean and a company (not food related) so I wasn't worried about roaches/bed bugs. They sold them in packs of 10 for like $2. And they were SOOOO sturdy. (I think the company was in like fancy auto accessories). Anyways it was sooo nice that ALL our boxes were the same size. Made packing the van up so easy.

Ask around. I know a couple of teenage girls who work at a fast food restaurant and they have been bringing me boxes.

I also bought a few at lowes. I would not buy from uhaul because they are overpriced.

I also received a slew of bankers boxes that I've packed most of our books in.

Home Depot beat Lowes, UHaul, and ULine around here (even bulk prices from ULine).  However, Home Depot individual box price was cheapest.  Home Depot bundle price was higher than ULine.  This was pricing from last spring.

Bubble wrap in 12" perforated pieces in box was much cheaper from ULine, as well as bundled packing tape and biodegradable peanuts.

There's a store down the hill from us that while they sell other items, a lot of their business is cigarettes. The boxes that cigarette cartons are packed in are nice for packing, although a bit large for something heavy like books. We've been able to ask them what day their orders come in and then go pick up boxes.

Erica in OR

Grocery stores will give you boxes if you ask. I've used those before. My favorite moving boxes are paper boxes - the big cartons. One move, my MIL worked at a college and she was able to get tons of paper cartons. They are awesome and if you can get some of those from an office, I'd recommend it. You can buy them from U-Haul or places like that too, but we've usually been able to find what we need for free.

Yes, the copy paper boxes (the kind that 10 or so reams of copy paper come in).  I have done a couple of moves, mine and friends, where almost everything was packed in copy paper boxes.  They stack well, label well, are easy to carry, and they are heavy only when they're packed with hardcover books.

I found luggage stores tend to have boxes that are a bit sturdier.  Liquor stores have sturdy wine boxes that are tall, best sized for kitchen stuff and breakables.  Copy paper boxes have great lids, and usually handle cutouts.  It's hit or miss at my bookstore, but book boxes can be heavyweight.

Worth going to a self storage place for some of those upright wardrobe boxes with the crossbar for hangers.

We don't have much in way of clothes so we bundle those in a bag and keep the stuff on the hangars and just bring it with us. Or we do suitcases for everything we have a couple of huge ruffles. I have half a mind to just toss our dishes and buy a new set. We are almost needing new ones anyway. I'm thinking of ways we can cut down weight

Mt favorites have come from:

Craigslist and freecycle

Mcdonalds (the fry boxes are a great size)

Barnes and noble

Boxes for paper from offices

Egg boxes from the grocery store

Some days more boxes are available than others. Ask a manager what day/time you will be able to get the most.

Liquor stores are a great place to get them. They only had bottles in them so no worry about 'creepy crawlies' etc. All Liquor stores in this town put their boxes out in a dry place so movers can get them. They never last long.

I also second banana boxes. They are the BEST for heavy books.

I have never heard of buying boxes for moving, lol. It never would have occurred to me to buy boxes.

Be very careful getting food/grocery boxes and used boxes. A friend of mine ended up with a german roach infestation in her new house. They were brought in with the corrugated boxes and ended up living in various places like her knife block. It was awful.

You can usually have them picked back up by the moving company after you unpack

I know but there are people that put them out on the curb or put an ad on Craigslist or Freecycle. We've posted ads in the past giving away boxes and I've seen plenty of neighbors put their boxes out for trash pickup. In a military community with so many people moving one can usually find one situation or the other.

I love free from free cycle or craigslist but I do worry about creepy crawlies and husband is allergic to what seems like everything. Not everyone is as fastidious as we are.

Also where we are it's a training comand so most people move from here not to here

Be very careful getting food/grocery boxes and used boxes. A friend of mine ended up with a german roach infestation in her new house. They were brought in with the corrugated boxes and ended up living in various places like her knife block. It was awful.

Oh. My. Freaking. Gosh. No uh-uh. Ewww now I itch