Menu

S/O Ask an...Aussie

Mbelle

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is so expensive!  What is up with being top or near top of the list for most expensive country?

We're an island continent, we pay heaps for shipping.  Plus our dollar has been high lately... or we're just chumps!

One of my earliest memories is my mother freaking out and emptying a can of fly spray onto an enormous huntsman!  I don't mind them - outside.  I HATE white tails.

I think coffee culture has grown over the last few decades in Australia. I know that in Hobart there are about 10 times as many coffee places as there used to be.  Proper coffee vs instant, that's probably all about your social status, social tribe affiliation and the affordability factor. I only drink coffee once or twice per week, but it has to be the real stuff. I very much doubt that anybody would serve instant coffee as a hint for you to get going!

I love Milo but we prefer to make our own by mixing cocoa powder, malt extract milk and/or water.

I like the Golden Orb spiders too.

When I've lived with one of those in the garden, we've enjoyed watching them build a new beautiful web each evening.

Oh yes! I was out a little earlier than usual one morning a few months ago and about 20 square metres of shrub and iron bark gums were glistening with dewy spider webs. I think they were golden orbs.

:ack2: and further choking noises about any black, salty, yeasty stuff that isn't Vegemite. May my kitchen witchy luck never bring them to my toast.

Vegemite started tasting weird to me the other year and I decided to try Dick Smith Ozemite and I really, really like it more than vegemite (and it doesn't hurt that it's actually Aussie owned and made).

Please don't hurt me!!

Oh, and the man who lived next door to me used to mow his lawn wearing a singlet with shorts so short that all his bits would hang out.  And dress socks and shoes (can't remember if they're called something different).  It was quite the look. :D

:lol: Hilarious!!

My eldest was introduced to Marmite by a classmate (we had vegemite growing up in Canada and do a gf "mite" for my coeliac kids here) so now he refuses vegemite. I might try ozmite.

Most people in WA are coffee snobs and the coffee is incredible. However, the instant is served at school functions all the time.

I've yet to see a snake but my kids saw a dugite snake in the yard once.

What's your Christmas tree?  How's it decorated?  Do watch cricket then entire week of Christmas/New Year?   Really, dh tries repeatedly to tell me how that game works.  Run back and forth between the wickets and bowl and bat.  Hmm..okay yeah! LOL

At our house we have a potted baby spruce tree for Christmas, mainly because we only have a minimalist Christmas theme (don't want it to overshadow Solstice (Litha), which is more relevant to us).

Lots of people have a chopped down radiata pine tree, they are can be untidy but smell beautiful (that's what we always had when I was a kid). They get sold at petrol stations or at the side of the road, and the it's a bit of an art to buy one and get it home and decorated before it wilts too much in the summer heat.

Artificial trees of the same kind as you'd have elsewhere are also popular.

Yes, sport is pretty big with many Australians. Some people do watch cricket (or play it themselves in the backyard or at the beach). Some people are glued to the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. Remember December and January are summer, so naturally there is a lot of outdoor stuff happening for most people. Even down here in the temperate zone my kids spend a lot of time in the pool over the holidays. I think because that is our long holiday (two months off for school kids) it might possibly be more relaxed than in the northern hemisphere.

And yes, cricket is a little crazy. Almost as crazy as that game, what's it called, where you whack the ball and run around in a diamond sort of shape  :lol:

Oh yeah and I still can't get my head around the idea of new year not being a new year of school. Seems really bizarre to have all the end of year stuff and then you're still in the same school year. Just what we're used to, I guess.

By the way, today is actually the first day of the school year for me. I was so anxious and excited that I could barely sleep last night, but in the end the girls went to their classrooms no problem, and even my 'challenging' child did his schoolwork at home with no meltdowns!  :hurray:

Vegemite started tasting weird to me the other year and I decided to try Dick Smith Ozemite and I really, really like it more than vegemite (and it doesn't hurt that it's actually Aussie owned and made).

Please don't hurt me!!

Oh, that's ok. That's just vegemite with a different label and completely different to poisonous stuff like promite.  :lol:

Do watch cricket then entire week of Christmas/New Year?   Really, dh tries repeatedly to tell me how that game works.  Run back and forth between the wickets and bowl and bat.  Hmm..okay yeah! LOL

Not this little black duck! One thing I always appreciated about my ex was his lack of interest in watching sports.

Oh yeah sailing is a big deal too.  It seems we are an Aussie rules football family.  No rugby for us.

Oh..here's a good question.  I hear older (like baby boomer or older) calling women girls.  Does that bother Australian women?  And, also call them "duck?"  LOL  What does the duck thing mean?  

Is Milo pronounced "Meelo?"  or "M (eye) lo"?  (That looks funny but I couldn't figure out how to spell the second in a way that shows the "i" saying it's name.)

The girl I knew who liked it pronounced it Meelo, but she wasn't Australian! ;) I think it's popular in the Caribbean and parts of Asia. I see it in local ethnic grocery stores. I call it Milo. I think. But then, I never talk about it to anyone....

I think Australia is a pretty neat country. I liked the flavored milk in packages when I was there. 

Oh..here's a good question.  I hear older (like baby boomer or older) calling women girls.  Does that bother Australian women?  And, also call them "duck?"  LOL  What does the duck thing mean?  

Duck? Isn't that a Pommie thing? Chick or bird, sure, but duck? No, I've never heard anyone objecting to those or "girls." We use girls ourselves, about ourselves. Anyway, the boomers had better be nice or we might call them old biddies or old chooks. :p Really, if someone is old enough to think I'm young enough to be called girl, they're old and I'm not so ner, ner, ner!

Perhaps that's a regional difference?

The girl I knew who liked it pronounced it Meelo, but she wasn't Australian! ;) I think it's popular in the Caribbean and parts of Asia. I see it in local ethnic grocery stores. I call it Milo. I think. But then, I never talk about it to anyone....

I think Australia is a pretty neat country. I liked the flavored milk in packages when I was there. 

I grew up drinking Milo in Japan.  We pronounced it Meelo there but I wondered how it was truly pronounced.  

Oh yeah sailing is a big deal too.  It seems we are an Aussie rules football family.  No rugby for us.

Duck, or Ducks is common in some regions of the UK.  In other areas it might be Hen or Love.  In my home town it's My Lover (as in, 'All right my lover?).  Of those, I think only Hen refers exclusively to women.  I don't object to any of them.

Back to your Australia discussion.

L

Ducks I've only heard when someone might say 'she was a pretty old duck' or something similar...always mentioned with the word 'old', and not to someone's face. 

Girl....yes....My husband calls me a 'good girl' quite regularly! Sometimes 'little girl' when he's feeling protective and extra loving.  I guess if I really think about it, it could be creepy!! But it's just something that I'm completely used to.  I call use the term boy for him, too.  I might say 'poor boy' when he's had a hard day at work.  My SIL always said 'poor man' to her husband and it always seemed strange to hear it.

I think 'girl' or 'girls' is used as much as 'lady' or 'ladies', but we don't hear 'women' so much.  You might hear men saying 'Don't tell the ladies', or 'don't tell the girls', but I don't hear so much 'don't tell the women'.  Ladies talk about themselves as girls too, as in 'we are going to have a girls' trip'.

Oh yeah and I still can't get my head around the idea of new year not being a new year of school. Seems really bizarre to have all the end of year stuff and then you're still in the same school year. Just what we're used to, I guess.

By the way, today is actually the first day of the school year for me. I was so anxious and excited that I could barely sleep last night, but in the end the girls went to their classrooms no problem, and even my 'challenging' child did his schoolwork at home with no meltdowns!  :hurray:

We also had a good and immediate start to the new year without those couple of days of tearilly dragging brains back from the brink. Must be something in the air. Is good   :)

Not this little black duck! One thing I always appreciated about my ex was his lack of interest in watching sports.

I actually watched part of a (junior) game of cricket for the first time ever this summer. I have a bil and nephew who are firmly of that religion.

I hung around long enough to have 'visibly shown an interest'. I also found that I have even less idea than I realised of scoring or rules. But I'm OK with that.

I'm pretty sure Victoria is the easiest state to homeschool in. I'm not sure that affects numbers at all though. It's not like it makes the actual homeschooling any less effort, does it?  :glare:  :laugh:  Probably those from the other states will have more perspective.

In SA a yearly home visit and review is required to officially comply with regulations.  If you comply you can claim some govt school-kid payments. This brought many long-term home schooling families out of the woodwork.

In practice the paperwork required is minimal and the home-visit is very encouraging and enjoyed by most families, even if it may generate some stress before-hand. There are is a very small dedicated and supportive branch within the Education Dept that do this.

In NT the paperwork requires you on paper at least more closely replicate school hours-per-week and curriculum. Approval there is through the Principal of the local school. This make it harder but still doable. NT has a lot of trouble with non-attendance by school-kids which may be why it is more of a challenge to comply. Shop keepers are banned from serving children during school hours there.

In Australia now Home Education is a recognised exemption from job seeking/working for receiving Govt assistance. So it needs gatekeepers to keep this from becoming abused.

The catch being that, if single, the ex can stop your payment by refusing his permission, even when the Ed dept approve.

Guess how I learned that.

Ouchity ouch ouch ouch.

I wonder if that depends on the state? I sign a form stating that I am taking responsibility. There is nothing about permission from anyone but the state.

I didn't know that about the govt benefits.

If you like flavoured milk you have to come to adelaide for the iced coffee. When we lived in Perth and came here for visits we'd have a truckload of requests to bring home some farmers union.

The only context I've heard ducks in is old ducks or from a Scottish midwife.

SA has a great set up in terms of the home visit lady. DS actually really looks forward to having someone to show his work too, and she provides heaps of information about homeschool groups, curricula, services available etc. Kids can participate in stuff like the Premiers Be Active challenge and the Reading Medal stuff. The only thing that is less than ideal is that we have to register through a school and then apply for exemption. Occasionally this can lead to some negative encounters with the local school if they are biased against homeschooling. They don't have any actual say over it though. It would be great if you could just register directly with the board.

Ours was fine though.

I didn't know that about the govt benefits.

When they introduced the school children rebate a few years ago it was available to registered home educated children too.

From memory it was 1/2 back on $1200 schooling receipts for secondary and 1/2 back on $700 for primary.

It could include computer, internet, printing costs and books. So fairly easy to rack up.

A couple of years ago it was changed to a straight (smaller) payment so no more receipt collecting.

I think it is one of our 'middle class' benefits. So maybe you wouldn't receive it if on a high income.

I just presumed it was still going. I think it was automatically paid within the last couple of months.

I'll try and track down its name.

Being called girls, etc, and addressed as chook, love, darlin' or whatever. Pretty much just a class/culture/personal preference thing. Except calling women sheilas is an Aussie thing, but that's actually not common. Being offended, well it depends on the context, yes I'd be annoyed if I am spoken to in a patronizing or belittling way, but mostly that kind of stuff is just the person being friendly, so no biggie. (I have met a few rad fem women who find it insulting to be called ladies, but there are probably a few people with those views everywhere).

Tasmania is good for home schooling. All you have to do is show that you are giving your child educational opportunities in the key areas of numeracy, literacy (including IT literacy as well as the traditional stuff), socialization (lol) and career planning if your child is aged over 14. You demonstrate this by submitting a 'family report' outlining what you're doing. There is a committee consisting of members appointed by the state government and members representing the home ed community to oversee the whole thing, plus monitoring officers who periodically visit all the home ed families. They review you once a year to start with, but after a couple of years they move you to two-yearly reviews if everything looks satisfactory. They are open to all styles of home education, including unschooling. 

I understand that the numbers of homeschoolers are comparable across the states, but in states where it's more difficult to meet the requirements, there are more families going 'under the radar'. There are heaps of people who have never enrolled their kids in school and never registered for home ed but have home schooled for years. I'm not sure why nobody follows up kids who are of school age and not enrolled for school or home ed, unless it's just not financially worth it because the numbers are small as a proportion of the population (1-2% of children, but there aren't any precise stats).

Pod's mum, I'm really sorry if that happened to you. It must depend on where you are, because I know a single mom whose ex tried to stop her homeschooling and he got nowhere, because she had custody of the kids.

Here in Victoria all we have to do is fill out a sheet of paper saying we are going to homeschool and are going to cover the 8 key learning areas. that is all there is to it. we do not need to submit any plan or anything like that at all.

I haven't heard anyone call someone a duck for many, many years (and then the lady was British). everyone calls older ladies old chooks (behind their backs). and even refers to themselves as an old chook. as in "do you think an old chook like me can do something like that?"

Chook of course is the Aussie word for chicken or hen.

there are not heaps of homeschoolers , I think there is well under 7000 in my state of Victoria, that would probably include unregisters and registered homeschoolers.

I grew up drinking Milo in Japan.  We pronounced it Meelo there but I wondered how it was truly pronounced.

Is Milo pronounced "Meelo?"  or "M (eye) lo"?  (That looks funny but I couldn't figure out how to spell the second in a way that shows the "i" saying it's name.)

I used to buy it at a Mexican market as a treat for my husband. They laughed at me for pronouncing it M-eye-lo, spanish speakers say it Meelo. :)

How is the class/socio-economic division?  See I only visit, but I do pick up things, but I'm not there long enough to get a big picture.  

I have seen people downplay their education or earnings quite a bit etc..   

Is that to avoid the "tall poppy" thing?  How big of a phenomenon is that?  Any clues as to why it would occur?  

Actually, I don't have any other specific questions.  Just want to know how y'all see that aspect of culture/life.

Great question (translation: not sure I know the answer lol)

It probably does vary a lot. But yep there is definitely something of that in the culture, to some extent.

An example that comes to mind was the recent thread about school lunches. Somebody pointed out that giving all kids the chance to have free lunch would eliminate stigma experienced by the poorer kids. I thought this was quite strange, as I don't see any stigma about being poor. We have a concept called the Aussie Battler, and almost everybody claims to be one. Almost everybody claims to be "doing it tough", including many people whom I would see as (and who would be objectively measured as) quite well off. Yes, in some circles people do boast about how badly off they are. Not sure about downplaying earnings. Many people would consider it vulgar and inappropriate to even mention how much they earn, apart from that it isn't enough.

Now Tall Poppy Syndrome, that is something slightly different again. It usually refers more to the tendency to criticize or attack people high achievers by downplaying their achievements, implying they didn't have to work hard enough for them, and so on, or to plot their downfall as it were.

A related phenomenon is supporting the underdog. It's not uncommon in big sporting matches for both players or teams to claim that they are the underdog, because most people (apart from dyed-in-the-wool faithful fans) will be going for the underdog.

I honestly am not sure why these things should be more common in Australia. I have lived here most of my life, so from my perspective, it's all "normal". 

Here's what I have thought before.  There are people who have more insecurities about fititng in.  In Aus my perception that those people who want to fit in would downplay say education or that something was too expensive.  In the US I think that those certain people would pretend to have more of that.  Both are pretensions.

I know for our culture the reason is that there is a single minded view of success and it is in wealth/power and for some education.  I just wondered why it was the way it was in Aus...Sadie mentioned egalitarian ideals.  

Do I have a cultural cringe?  LOL  of course!  I think it is ridiculous that people believe it is their right to carry semi-automatic weapons to protect themselves.  Honestly, I personally think carrying around a handgun is ridiculous.  I'm fine with hunting rifles and shotguns. (please please .. I surely don't want this thread to spiral out control over this.)

I think you're hinting around one of the large differences between American culture and Australian. We don't like the government, but trust them more than big business whereas it's pretty much the other way around in the US.

It's a national hobby to dislike the government, even if the mob you wanted got in. Political discussion can't get as heated here as the US because we can all agree "bloody politicians" no matter what. :p

I think you're hinting around one of the large differences between American culture and Australian. We don't like the government, but trust them more than big business whereas it's pretty much the other way around in the US.

It's a national hobby to dislike the government, even if the mob you wanted got in. Political discussion can't get as heated here as the US because we can all agree "bloody politicians" no matter what. :p

^^^Yes, that! ^^^

You'd probably be surprised at the number of Aussies who will tell you "I'm not really interested in politics". Most of us probably wouldn't even bother to vote if it weren't compulsory. Because A. politicians are all bastards and B. we love our weekends and don't enjoy wasting part of Saturday at the polling booth..

Ps For those who prefer delicate language, please note that 'bastard' is a genuine political term in Australia. We had a minority party with slogan about 'keeping the bastards honest' as in they intended to stop the two major parties colluding in all manner of dodginess.

Not sure how much playing up and playing down achievements is about fitting in and how much is about shutting people up because you don't want to listen to them. Could be it's the former in the US and the latter in Oz? (Just to generalise.)

If wealth and power is respected, playing those up is more likely to shut someone up. If egalitarianism is respected, "meh, I'm nobody" works better.