Menu

For the Atheists...

WishboneDawn

The 12 Days of Zilchmas

I chuckled through the whole thing. 

I'm posting it partly because I thought it was funny but also because I thought it was a good example of how to shape humour between believers and non-believers. Bits ARE offensive (it's very British in it's humour being a site full of Anglicans) but it spreads the offense like bullcrap on a farmer's field, hitting everyone, including Anglicans. I couldn't read it through and finish with any sense of superiority whatsoever, just a feeling that this was something my atheist husband and friends and I could share a laugh over.

Now I want to check those feelings. Probably too late since I already shared it on Facebook (I have a friend who posts anti-religious humour stuff that I probably should NOT laugh at but do) so I'm already sunk if you think it is indeed offensive. 

For background, Ship of Fools is entirely irreverent. They once had a contest to find the most offensive jokes to Christians. It was, um, not something I could ever link to here. The Fruit Tube page is a good one as well.

Not an atheist. Read out of curiosity. I had no idea that atheists were so opposed to Christmas - even Christians don't think that our society views it religiously anymore. You have to seek ways to make it a Christian holiday in your home (as a Christian). Or am I misreading/misinterpreting?

Not an atheist. Read out of curiosity. I had no idea that atheists were so opposed to Christmas - even Christians don't think that our society views it religiously anymore. You have to seek ways to make it a Christian holiday in your home (as a Christian). Or am I misreading/misinterpreting?

You're misreading.

OP - I didn't think it was offensive and I get where its going, but I can't say I thought it was all that funny. Maybe the satire/humor doesn't translate for me, though.

Some of it struck me as funny.  Other bits were sort of ho hum.  Overall, not quite as clever as Think Geek, which also misses the mark sometimes.

None of it seemed really offensive to me, a Christian.  But, hey, I tend to be oblivious to nuance.  And there's always someone somewhere offended by something.

Some of it struck me as funny. Other bits were sort of ho hum. Overall, not quite as clever as Think Geek, which also misses the mark sometimes.

None of it seemed really offensive to me, a Christian. But, hey, I tend to be oblivious to nuance. And there's always someone somewhere offended by something.

I think you were right about the hit or miss bit.

I really, really want the Jesus action figures.  Those are the best!

Yes boys and girls, that would be fully poseable Jesus there between Barbie and Edward the Vampire at our local Alco. Aside from those gigantic pecs and thick neck (pretty buff for a fisherman) I'm not entirely sure how I feel about my Lord and Savior being an action figure...

548306_3258490739310_1624009527_n.jpg

Yes boys and girls, that would be fully poseable Jesus there between Barbie and Edward the Vampire at our local Alco. Aside from those gigantic pecs and thick neck (pretty buff for a fisherman) I'm not entirely sure how I feel about my Lord and Savior being an action figure...

548306_3258490739310_1624009527_n.jpg

You missed the bit in the Bible where he becomes a professional wrestler for a time? I question the quality of your translation.

You're misreading.

OP - I didn't think it was offensive and I get where its going, but I can't say I thought it was all that funny. Maybe the satire/humor doesn't translate for me, though.

It's very British. I reread it in the context of what I assumed Queen of the Deep meant with her, "wow" and I can see that some of it might seem pretty over the top. If you read the bit about the atheist shoes and walking in dog, um, crap it might seem like a comment on the message on the shoes if you're used to mean comments being flung at you. It would be read straight and be hurtful.

That honestly hadn't occurred to me. The bit is self-deprecating from the get go (the CoE has in its ranks of ministry undeclared atheists), makes a comment about how atheists in some places have good cause not to come out and then the last bit is a comment on the preciousness and peril of wearing an important comment about your beliefs on the bottom of your shoe.

I don't know. Maybe one needs to have grown up on a steady diet of Spitting Image?

I was referring to Charleigh misreading it in case that wasn't clear.

There were parts that I thought were chuckle-worthy and while I have watched quite a bit of British television, I tend not to find British comedy as funny so...yeah....maybe it's just me. The winter-time gift giving thing was pretty funny, though. :0)

I haven't read it yet, but I'm very familiar with the Ship of Fools website. It's actually a Christian website, and that's where the satire and lampooning comes in. (Oooh, I see on second skim of thread that this was mentioned--still I think it's interesting :))

I learned about Ship of Fools when I was Assistant Editor at a Christian professional's magazine from Group Publishing over a decade ago. Another of our staff often contributed at Ship of Fools.  He was considered quite edgy, but he was definitely an Evangelical Christian (not Anglican).

I'm off to read!

This is a joke. 

I'm an atheist and none of those interests me, though I find them amusing. I know dozens of atheist families and none of them wear those things, would buy those things, but almost all of them celebrate Christmas, (and they all know where the holiday originated, but that's not a part of their celebration).

I bet if you googled Atheist gifts and Christian gifts, you'd find lots more Christian stuff than atheist stuff, so I think it's pretty easy to make Christmas religious (considering its origin is actually Christian). 

I'm not at all opposed to Christmas. We celebrate it at our house, though not in the way we did when we were Christians :)

P.S. Wishbone--I thought it was very amusing. Thanks for sharing! <3

A few things made me chuckle but most just wasn't that funny. I don't think it was because it's British humor. I get some Brit humor, and some I don't get, but I always see why it might be thought of as funny. This seemed more like religious humor than British humor. By that I mean what religious people think is funny about atheism. Mostly it shows what people don't know about atheism. Plus it just really isn't funny. I don't think it's offensive though.

Yes.  I really wish people would realize that atheists are not in any sort of group.  Sometimes atheists will talk to each other, but atheism isn't some sort of religion where we are all on the same page about stuff and can refer to a book.  Atheists are like rainbows...various colors and wavelengths...(with unicorns and flowers.....gosh that sounds goofy....LOL).

Yeah. I find this site hilarious. Where else would you find such a range of items from ten plagues finger puppets to your own home circumcision kit? Because nothing says "I want to be a part of God's family" like reenacting what happened to those who weren't, and then snipping off your the end of your penis!

Yeah. I find this site hilarious. Where else would you find such a range of items from ten plagues finger puppets to your own home circumcision kit? Because nothing says "I want to be a part of God's family" like reenacting what happened to those who weren't, and then snipping off your the end of your penis!

I haven't read it since I was a Christian, really, but I liked it then. The guy I knew who wrote for it was walking a fine line where we worked--a lot of people thought he was very sacrilegious. Even though I was extremely conservative doctrinally, I also really liked satire and biting self-commentary. Ship of Fools was that to me.

Yes, indeed, atheists are a large group. When we talk about Catholics or Mormons or Sunni Muslims or any religious group, we can have some idea about what they believe or how they approach some ideas, but when we identify atheists, the only thing we have in common is that we don't believe in a god/gods.  And we definitely don't all have the same sense of humor. :)

Yes.  I really wish people would realize that atheists are not in any sort of group.  Sometimes atheists will talk to each other, but atheism isn't some sort of religion where we are all on the same page about stuff and can refer to a book.  Atheists are like rainbows...various colors and wavelengths...(with unicorns and flowers.....gosh that sounds goofy....LOL).

Shhh.  ALL people outside your own group must be "in a group."  I mean look at the choices.  The Gay Agenda, the Femi-nazis, New York Liberals, Muslim Extremists, Gun Nuts, The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy.  Isn't that why Sikh gas station guys in my area put american flags on their cars post 9/11, because they're in the brown skin turban club, dude, which is soooo totally terrorist.

It's The Breakfast Club IRL.

A few things made me chuckle but most just wasn't that funny. I don't think it was because it's British humor. I get some Brit humor, and some I don't get, but I always see why it might be thought of as funny. This seemed more like religious humor than British humor. By that I mean what religious people think is funny about atheism. Mostly it shows what people don't know about atheism. Plus it just really isn't funny. I don't think it's offensive though.

I don't think it, "shows what people don't know about atheism." It certainly pokes fun at atheists (and products marketed to them like the Xmas stocking) but it also pokes fun at the stereotypes around atheism (the gift of nothing). I think the proof of that is that the site is generally at least as cutting about Christians and pays with the stereotypes surrounding Christianity as well. I doubt there's a creationist on the Ship of Fools staff but they play with the idea that being Christian is being a creationist in the Zilchmas write ups.

It's the traditional tools of self-deprecation and irony at work. Read in context of the greater site that is clearer.

The bolded above sums it up for me.   I'm not offended, though.