Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW3

Robin M

Can post-modern be happy?

:lol:  Um.... Maybe?

I know what you mean though. Sometimes it's hard to get into anything and you don't want anything too sad but you still want to be engaged. You want scintillating narrative with enough intellectual muscle to back it up but not too much.  :tongue_smilie:

Yeah. What Tam said! :coolgleamA:

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. I want a book I can be passionate about but am having a hard time the past week or so getting settled into something. I want something fun, exciting, nothing dark or brooding right now. Just not in the mood for that at all. Would love to find something postmodern/experimental/surreal that's fun/happy too. Anyone have any ideas?

Now, I'm not into postmodern/experimental/surreal.  I like the comfort of linearity (is that a word?) and realism. Magical realism is ok too. However, I do like fun books. So I went on a search for something that looked fun but very "different," something I might be interested in reading.

I found this: http://www.amazon.com/253-Geoff-Ryman/dp/0006550789/ref=la_B000AQ1REW_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389902430&sr=1-5

Has anyone ever read 253 by Geoff Ryman? What did you think?

Now, I'm not into postmodern/experimental/surreal.  I like the comfort of linearity (is that a word?) and realism. Magical realism is ok too. However, I do like fun books. So I went on a search for something that looked fun but very "different," something I might be interested in reading.

I found this: http://www.amazon.com/253-Geoff-Ryman/dp/0006550789/ref=la_B000AQ1REW_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389902430&sr=1-5

Has anyone ever read 253 by Geoff Ryman? What did you think?

Could be interesting. Here is the novel on the website:

http://www.ryman-novel.com/

If you follow all the links on the website to read it (& can read it in various orders), I wonder how that translates into a published novel?

Today I read When Did White Trash Become the New Normal? by Charlotte Hays.  I found myself all over the map while reading it - some parts I felt were spot on and others I thought were way over the top.  Nevertheless, I loved how honest it was though and found that I agreed with a good majority.  This whole entire book belongs in the Unpopular Opinion thread.  :tongue_smilie:

Completed So Far

1. The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

2. Winnie Mandela: Life of Struggle by Jim Haskins

3. Herbal Antibiotics by Stephen Harrod Buhner

4. When Did White Trash Become the New Normal? by Charlotte Hays

Earlier today, since I didn't have my dreamed for postmodern book, I started on my 13th century book instead. :lol:

Sunjata: Bamba Suso and Banna Kanute

So, Sunjata is basically the story about the beginnings of the Malian empire in the early 1300s, as founded by the great warrior Sunjata.

Bamba Suso & Banna Kanute were both griots (or jalis); griots are West African storytellers. Both griots (Bamba Suso & Banna Kanute) were studied in 1970 by Gordon Innes, who watched/transcribed/tried to translate the oral story into a printed form. Apparently, Bamba Suso's style was more straightforward & direct storytelling, while Banna Kanute was more of a performer using varied music & song styles with each retelling.

From the back of the book:

"These stories remain central to the culture of the Mande-speaking peoples. This book brings together translations of live performances by two leading Gambian jalis (or bards). Where Banna Kanute's version is all about violent action, supernatural forces and the struggle for mastery, Bamba Suso uses far more dialogue to reveal his insight into human relationships.

I got sidetracked looking up some info, trying to understand the griot style & how well (or not) the book translation was going to cover the usual way of the story being told.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the introductory info & notes, as well as poking around on my rabbit trails....

Here is a little bit about griots:

Here is a piece of the Sunjata story as it was performed in the 1980s. Perhaps this would be a style similar to either Bamba Suso or Banna Kanute (though I really don't know):

And, here is a recording of a griot telling the Sunjata story. (Just a picture w/ the recording, no video.):

When it comes to Kindle skins and I-phone covers, this company has gorgeous stuff. Just thought I'd share that. My only problem is that it's hard to see and fully appreciate the back part (the artwork), since my Kindle's in a case. I wish I could find a more attractive case for my Kindle. My daughter has a gorgeous one on her Paperwhite, but mine is just basic and the covers are just boring. 

I've spent too much time on this site today :willy_nilly:

I am hoping to finish my 3rd book in the next 2 days.  I am reading The Husband by Dean Koontz (Well technically I am reading 3 books right now, but that one is the one I am closest to finishing)

Also currently being read "A year of biblical womanhood" and "The Wholehearted Child"

I finished 1Q84! Definitely outside my usual book selections but I'm so glad I read it. I might read Wind-up Bird as well, but I don't think I should jump into it right away. I think I need a fast read for my next one. Maybe 'House of Many Ways' since I never finished the trilogy.

I've spent too much time on this site today :willy_nilly:

Yep, tell me about it.  :lol:

I have this one. I just love his art. 

It's annoying that I can't see the back, because of the Kindle cover. I contacted the company and asked them to make Kindle covers. I wish they would. They're just absolute class and gorgeousness. 

Dd has this one on her Paperwhite. 

If I had a phone or a laptop, I'd get more stuff from them. 

I think I need to be enlightened. What are the pros/cons to a cover vs a skin? We just have kindle touches around here.  I'd love to find one for my dd for her birthday in April.  She does have her kindle in a case right now.  Speaking of kindles, did anyone have a touch that upgraded to a papewhite? Was it worth the upgrade?

Dd leaned over to me during the production and said, "Is this PG-13?" :lol: Um, yes! She is obviously catching more and more of the innuendo now.

Funny! We are listening and reading free versions, and I have been very amused to find that the free Librivox version skips two rather bawdy passages that appear in the free Kindle version we're using.

Of course, this sentence sent me straight to amazon for reviews etc.  I have it on my wish list because this sounds right up my alley.  As I was poking around I noticed that one of the books in that series is free on kindle.  I am not sure if you own it but here is the link for it: http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Danger-Brown-Luca-Novella-ebook/dp/B00FHKS1KO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389901856&sr=8-4&keywords=sleep+with+the+lights+on  Sorry, I think the link is actually a sample of the book.

Thank you! I did go and download the free novella. Had to laugh per the description it takes place between the two other books. No mentionwas made of this bit of background and the first pages of the second book made it very clear they had not seen each other since the conclusion of the previous situation. Like I said some things don't track so well. :lol:

I did finish one last night that I enjoyed. Faye Kellerman's "The Beast" was the latest installment in her Rina/Decker mysteries which are some of my favorites. The reviews on this one were not great and as a stand alone it would have been blah but as part of an ongoing storyline it was fine. Big changes appear to be coming for the couple which should freshen the storyline up imo.

The first book "Ritual Bath" is one of my favorites which I have reread many times. I haven't picked it up for many years and need to see what I think of it now soon. The Rina and Decker romance starts in this one and they are definately a favorite literary couple of mine.

Yep, tell me about it. :lol:

I have this one. I just love his art.

It's annoying that I can't see the back, because of the Kindle cover. I contacted the company and asked them to make Kindle covers. I wish they would. They're just absolute class and gorgeousness.

Dd has this one on her Paperwhite.

If I had a phone or a laptop, I'd get more stuff from them.

So pretty! For my phone I downloaded the wall paper version of the skin your dd is using and love it. I can't decide between several cases for my phone. *Love* some of the Rousseau ones! But I agree about the current covers for the PWs. Functional but pedestrian.

I think I need to be enlightened. What are the pros/cons to a cover vs a skin? We just have kindle touches around here. I'd love to find one for my dd for her birthday in April. She does have her kindle in a case right now. Speaking of kindles, did anyone have a touch that upgraded to a papewhite? Was it worth the upgrade?

Posting from my phone so I can't multi-quote. A skin is just that, a very thin piece of plastic that is placed on the device for basically aesthetic purposes. A cover offers protection among other things and the device fits inside it. Skins are usually very pretty, detailed, colorful etc.

I can't speak to the upgrade factor but I do love my PW!

I also just finished 1Q84. Woke up early this morning to finish it before the kids woke up (didn't work, they crawled all over me the whole time). I loved it! Usually, I don't get quite so invested in fictional characters, which is why I usually read non-fiction, but this time I am sad to see them go.

I have no idea what to tackle next. Maybe some gardening books, since I'm determined not to wait until the last second to plan this year.

I've been reading Hard Boiled Wonderland, but I just got a notice from my library that Fall of the Giants, book 1, is available for the Kindle.  I'm only in the first part of the Murakami book, and it's weird (even for Murakami) and hard to keep straight.  I don't know if I can just put it aside and read the other book.  Maybe I'll start Fall of the Giants, and if I love it I'll buy it.  

I finished Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend this morning. I'm not sure what I think yet. The voice annoyed me a little. It was childish with occasional bursts of brilliant insight. It almost seemed as though the author couldn't decide if the narrator was naive or wise, so he made him both. Still, I cried, and though I cry easily, I know the story moved me if nothing else. 

I finished House of the Seven Gables. It's been very hard to focus on reading this week. I kept finishing a page and realizing I had no idea what it said. Going downtown with Great Girl this afternoon for a statement, and arrest (not of us!) expected to follow. My house has been tidied seven or eight times this morning. Wish us luck.

I finished House of the Seven Gables. It's been very hard to focus on reading this week. I kept finishing a page and realizing I had no idea what it said. Going downtown with Great Girl this afternoon for a statement, and arrest (not of us!) expected to follow. My house has been tidied seven or eight times this morning. Wish us luck.

Sorry that you have to go through this.  Sending best wishes to Great Girl who I am sure would be happy just to be a college student and not have to deal with stupid nonsense.  Pfui.

All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren is the Nook Daily Deal today. 

Ooh, thank you. Amazon will often price match if you send them a link to who is selling it for lower price. They even have a special link to click on to let them know about a better price. I informed them, and am keeping my fingers crossed that they'll offer a deal too. My library doesn't have the ebook, and these days I jump through all kinds of hoops to get an ebook. I only read print books as a last resort. :D

I finished Emily Dickenson is Dead by Jane Langton. It was a strange book, sort of a dark comedy/suspense. It was written in the 80's, and the story takes place on the 100th anniversary of Emily Dickinson's death, in Amherst, Mass. So there are loads of historical references and snips of poetry. It wasn't spectacular but it was fun in an odd sort of way.

I'm now reading To Have or To Be by Erich Fromm, which I found in a thrift store. It was written pre- collapse of the Soviet Union and pre-information technology, so it feels dated. He does have some thought provoking insights so far, but I really do not understand his reverence for medieval society as one, along with other societies, that had "ethically based economics." Huh????

I finished Emily Dickenson is Dead by Jane Langton. It was a strange book, sort of a dark comedy/suspense. It was written in the 80's, and the story takes place on the 100th anniversary of Emily Dickinson's death, in Amherst, Mass. So there are loads of historical references and snips of poetry. It wasn't spectacular but it was fun in an odd sort of way.

I'm now reading To Have or To Be by Erich Fromm, which I found in a thrift store. It was written pre- collapse of the Soviet Union and pre-information technology, so it feels dated. He does have some thought provoking insights so far, but I really do not understand his reverence for medieval society as one, along with other societies, that had "ethically based economics." Huh????

I have read many of the Jane Langton books with detective Homer Kelly.  Most are set in or around Boston.  Murder at the Gardner was written before the big heist there.  Those of you who like Sayers' The Nine Tailors might like Langton's Divine Inspiration.  The latter story centers around a pipe organ--not as good as Sayers' bells but still a fun read.

I have read many of the Jane Langton books with detective Homer Kelly.  Most are set in or around Boston.  Murder at the Gardner was written before the big heist there.  Those of you who like Sayers' The Nine Tailors might like Langton's Divine Inspiration.  The latter story centers around a pipe organ--not as good as Sayers' bells but still a fun read.

My local library doesn't have her books, but the one in the city does. I will definitely try some more of them. I had never heard of her until I found this book in the thrift store.

My local library doesn't have her books, but the one in the city does. I will definitely try some more of them. I had never heard of her until I found this book in the thrift store.

The Homer Kelly mysteries have more substance than many; they will not offend sensitive readers, i.e. yes there are dead bodies but these books are neither gruesome nor contain sexual content. 

One touch that Langton adds to her books are her beautiful pen and ink drawings.

If you are into series, you might want to read them in order--but I don't think it is completely necessary. 

I'm not a huge poetry fan, although I might could be if I knew more about it, but I do love e. e. cummings.  My favorite poem by him is "somewhere i have never traveled, gladly beyond".

Swoon................................

51NRG53EWNL._AA160_.jpg

Beauty and the Beast: Of Love and Hope by Lee Holdridge and Ron Perlman

That poem is on this CD! It's been a favorite for years!

Afternoon ladies. My internet wanderings this afternoon:

William Blake's drawings of Dante's Divine Comedy

PW's 10 Best Contemporary War Novels

World Literature Today's friday links - Poetry and more Poetry

A writer friend directed me Every Day Poets

New Directions - Poetry and Prose Subscriptions.

For those who missed it - International Correspondence Writing Month.  I'm suddenly geeking out over pens and watching two guys geek out and talk about how to write a letter. PM your addresses to me if you want to get a letter.

I have no idea how I missed this thread this week.  I know I had a busy week, but still....

Last week I finished The Book Thief.  Loved it.  I was up late Friday night, just sobbing.  I am not good at writing about books.  Love reading them.  Can't think of anything to say about them when sitting in front of the computer.  A friend came over this week and we talked about books and had a great discussion... I'm not sure why I have writers block when I try to "discuss" books on paper.  I think part of the problem is that I have a hard time remembering names of characters.  So, like right now, I want to say something about how sweet the little girl(what's her name? Liesel?)'s new papa is.  How sweet it is that he gets up at night to read to her when she has nightmares.  I loved the view of her mama sleeping with the accordion in her lap while papa is away at war.  I think it's easy to say "how could they have let that happen" when thinking about the Germans during the war, but I wonder what I would have done if I were there.

3. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

2. Rapture, Lauren Kate

1. Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein

[edited to remove picture] 

Beauty and the Beast: Of Love and Hope by Lee Holdridge and Ron Perlman

That poem is on this CD! It's been a favorite for years!

I have that CD! Ron Perlman's voice, definitely swoon worthy. At my wedding, the bridesmaids and groomsmen came down the aisle to "The First Time I Loved Forever". :) I bought the sheet music so the pianist would have it.

Just jumping in--feel free to set me straight if it becomes obvious that I'm oblivious to the rules and customs!

So far this year I've finished

1. Freckles, by Gene Stratton Porter

2. At Home in Mitford, by Jan Karon

Should wrap up The Autobiography of Malcolm X today or tomorrow . . .

Afternoon ladies. My internet wanderings this afternoon:

William Blake's drawings of Dante's Divine Comedy

PW's 10 Best Contemporary War Novels

World Literature Today's friday links - Poetry and more Poetry

A writer friend directed me Every Day Poets

New Directions - Poetry and Prose Subscriptions.

For those who missed it - International Correspondence Writing Month.  I'm suddenly geeking out over pens and watching two guys geek out and talk about how to write a letter. PM your addresses to me if you want to get a letter.

I am very tempted by the ND link...the pamphlets have a certain kind of tactile beauty to them. And the thought of a poetry *pamphlet*, a pamphlet no less, sheaf of paper full of poetry, coming to the door each month...

Loving all the pretty pics of skins and covers! I am waiting until I get a new Kindle... My beloved dog (aka Giant Puffball) was bored/angry/anxious/hungry when we were out, and decided to chew up my Kindle Touch. Yes, really. It's still working fine, but I think for some upcoming minor holiday, I'm going to upgrade to the paper white. Then I'll be in the market for a lovely accessory. :)

Still on my 12th century adventure with Beloved Enemy, and I was just notified that Breakfast at Tiffany's came in for me, so that will probably be next!

That's so beautiful Negin! Both yours and your dd's.

Now I'm looking at my brand new (I'm totally in love with it :001_wub: ) Kobo HD Reader with a .... brown....cover. :toetap05: Sigh.

Thank you. My cover is just plain black and I really don't like it much. The elastic part is a bit slack and I find that irritating. I wish I could find a lovely cover. I wish that company would make covers also and not just skins. 

I think I need to be enlightened. What are the pros/cons to a cover vs a skin? We just have kindle touches around here.  I'd love to find one for my dd for her birthday in April.  

To me, a cover/case is essential - to protect it if you drop it or whatever. 

The skin is just gorgeous and enjoyable to look at. 

I agree about the current covers for the PWs. Functional but pedestrian.

And the chances of finding a cover for the PW is better than for the regular Kindle, which, is really not saying much.

My daughter loves her PW, although she still much prefers regular books that she can smell and touch. Me too.  

A skin is just that, a very thin piece of plastic that is placed on the device for basically aesthetic purposes. A cover offers protection among other things and the device fits inside it. Skins are usually very pretty, detailed, colorful etc.

Yes. Great comparison. 

Speaking of covers, I have this one "Out for Delivery" today (can't wait!):

I am loving those linked ones above, though! Mine is from M-Edge.

Lovely! Going to look into these. 

Last week I finished The Book Thief.  Loved it.

One of my favorite books of all time. I read it about six years ago. We saw the  movie last night. It was fabulous, but. I recommend that you wait a while before watching it because of the usual slight inconsistencies. 

Yes, really. It's still working fine, but I think for some upcoming minor holiday, I'm going to upgrade to the paper white. Then I'll be in the market for a lovely accessory.  :)

Yes, and tell yourself that you deserve it! :)

I did finish one last night that I enjoyed. Faye Kellerman's "The Beast" was the latest installment in her Rina/Decker mysteries which are some of my favorites. The reviews on this one were not great and as a stand alone it would have been blah but as part of an ongoing storyline it was fine. Big changes appear to be coming for the couple which should freshen the storyline up imo.

Kellerman disappoints me so. Her books seem

to get worse and worse. I've also read the whole series though, so I keep on reading them for the characters. This last one I only skimmed though - I pretty much skipped the crime story, and only read the parts where the family dynamics came into play!

I've given up on Erich Fromm's To Have or To Be. I wanted to like it but there is just too much that I find wrong with it. I intensly dislike the use of universal negatives and positives, especially when they are so easy to disprove nowadays. I find his references to history and linguistics sketchy too. I wanted to see if he could convince me of his point of view, I didn't want to argue with the author over the details. Perhaps that is a flaw in my character.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Mr. Monmouth for now. Hopefully, I will finish him before my next holds come in.

I've finished 360 Degrees Longitude.   :001_wub:

I'm around 100 pages into Ring, and it is reminding a little of John Dies at the End in it's quirkiness.  I don't know if it's just the translation, or if the author just writes this way, but the choppiness of the sentences is distracting, and the flow of the story is a little off for me because of it.  Other than that, I'm enjoying the story so far.  It is definitely not super scary, or anything like that, so far.  We'll see how the rest of it plays out.

I love all the skins and covers.  I don't have any skins, but these are my covers:

This one is for my basic Kindle,

7faf8e24-eaa1-4264-80b4-06a9507ca870.jpg

and this one is for my Galaxy Tablet.

89bbf86b-4d3a-4e25-822a-e0a445731a60.jpg

I finished up my last mystery in the series and feel a bit at loose ends. I'm not generally a mystery lover but this series was so different it held my interest, far more character driven than plot driven. I've got a number of books on my tbr list but can't settle on one. 'Conference of the Birds' is wonderful though so I'll continue with that.

Michele, those covers are great!

I finished the second Michael Vey book this morning, Michael Vey: The Rise of the Elgen.  I'm really liking the story line.  It seems to break away from today's trend of YA fiction which revolves around vampires/werewolves/dystopian societies.  Once again it started a little slow, but it didn't take as long for this one to really get rolling.  I was definitely left wondering what was going to happen.  I think I finally figured out why these are only 4 stars for me and not 5.  I'm used to my reality being suspended...I read a ton of fantasy...however, I'm not used to my reality being suspended in modern day.  I find it easy to accept another fantasy world.  I find it harder to accept the fantasy in modern day planet Earth.  Add modern day teen lingo and it's enough to not quite make the 5 stars. Weird, but I think that's it. Since it's the second in the series I can't be more specific about the plot itself.  It gives too much away.  But I'm still liking the science tie-ins and the vaguely Michael Crichton feel.  Again, I highly recommend the series.  It's just a totally clean, fun read!  

Dh loaned out the third Michael Vey book so I'm going to try to fit in Soulless as a quick read in between.  Once I'm finished with the Michael Vey books I will be reading dd19's recommendation, Divergent.

1.  The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs

2.  Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans

3.  The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

4.  Michael Vey:  The Rise of the Elgin

Um, you can't post pics of that gorgeous Kindle cover and not say where you got it from. I want it!

If you mean mine, believe it or not, I got those at Wal-Mart.   :D   The brand is Verso.

I finished up my last mystery in the series and feel a bit at loose ends. I'm not generally a mystery lover but this series was so different it held my interest, far more character driven than plot driven. I've got a number of books on my tbr list but can't settle on one. 'Conference of the Birds' is wonderful though so I'll continue with that.

Michele, those covers are great!

I hate having a stack of books, and not feeling like reading any of them.  Reading slumps are the worst.  I'm glad you have one to continue with.

Thanks!  I like them.   :laugh:

Yes, and tell yourself that you deserve it! :)

Why, thank you! Yes, yes I really do deserve it, don't I?? ;)

If you mean mine, believe it or not, I got those at Wal-Mart.   :D   The brand is Verso.

That's amazing, I wouldn't have thought to look there. Golly, and I have an unspent Walmart gift card and everything... :D

I do have a waterproof cover for it. It's a Ziploc brand. :-)

I hear that's a very economical brand!! :LOL:

Thank you, I was just about to ask. I am crazy about the ones you posted. Those are just what my daughter and I have been looking for. 

I just looked at it further and unfortunately it won't fit my Kindle Keyboard :(. I wish so much that I could find something nice and classy.