Menu

I Want to Make a Breakfast Loaf (ETA: Quick Breads)

bolt.

I make *wonderful* banana bread/loaf, but I don't want it every week. Ideally I'd like 2 or 3 favourite loaf-type (ETA: also called quick bread) recipes (muffins OK too) to rotate through. I'd like them to be healthful enough to be a breakfast food, not a dessert.

Healthful to me means: 1. Made with fruits or veggies (apple sauce, pumpkin, raisins, etc), 2. Somewhat whole grain (containing some whole wheat flour, or oats or something), 3. Not overly sweetened, 4. Not excessively rich in butter or other fats, 5. Few artificial ingredients (extracts OK).

Texture matters: we like things moist and chewy. We don't really care for nuts (it's a texture thing).

I like chocolate. Things don't have to be overly sweet to have cocoa!

So, friends, got anything tried-and-true to add to my list? I'll be going shopping before baking tomorrow.

Do you like dates? I like a basic muffin recipe (you can add about a quarter whole wheat flour and it's still good) with blueberries and/or dates. I think you can add applesauce instead of butter/fat and it comes out basically the same. 

(No recipe to offer, but should be in any cookbook or online.)

I like to put pineapples and coconut in my banana bread.

Don't forget the baked oatmeal!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/490283-i-made-the-baked-oatmeal/?hl=+mrs%20+mungo%20+baked%20+oatmeal

We also eat rice pudding and fruit crisps for breakfast. Sometimes I make sausage biscuits where I just mix crumbled, browned sausage into my biscuit recipe and make drop biscuits. You can add cheese to this too.

Check the King Arthur Flour website.  They have a lot of whole grain recipes for quick breads, muffins, etc, such as this recipe for applesauce oatmeal bread.     And here is a basic muffin recipe from which you can make variations.     Once you have the basics down for making the breads, it's easy to make variations.  I often replace 1/2 of the flour with whole wheat, sometimes more.  Try whole wheat pastry flour too.

Here's our favorites:

OAT APPLESAUCE MUFFINS

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup milk

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup applesauce

3/4 t cinnamon

1/2 t salt

1 t vanilla

1 egg

Soak the oats in the milk for 2 hours (we usually put them in the fridge the night before), mix, and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

OAT PUMPKIN MUFFINS

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup milk

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup canned pumpkin

3/4 t pumpkin pie spice

1/2 t salt

1 t vanilla

1 egg

Soak the oats in the milk for 2 hours (we usually put them in the fridge the night before), mix, and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

I'm gluten free, so I'm not going to bother posting my recipes.  I cook them as muffins most of the time now, because gluten free bread can fall so easily.  

My main recent muffin has been a squash/pumpkin muffin - with pumpkin pie spice and nuts on top!  I made banana the other day and my kid flipped!  He just asked for bacon muffins, and indeed, I have a recipe for pumpkin bacon muffins.  I also used to do zucchini, apple.  My teen's fave is chocolate-chip-cherry.  

I'm gluten free, so I'm not going to bother posting my recipes.  I cook them as muffins most of the time now, because gluten free bread can fall so easily.  

My main recent muffin has been a squash/pumpkin muffin - with pumpkin pie spice and nuts on top!  I made banana the other day and my kid flipped!  He just asked for bacon muffins, and indeed, I have a recipe for pumpkin bacon muffins.  I also used to do zucchini, apple.  My teen's fave is chocolate-chip-cherry.  

Share the gluten free recipes.  We are gluten free and I like a good gluten free muffin.

i don't measure anything when making breakfast bread. i just eyeball it, but i'll try to give rough guesstimates

- about 3 cups of whole wheat flour

- a handful of ground flaxseed

- a tablespoon-ish of cinnamon

- 1/4 cup brown sugar

- a hit of baking powder & baking soda ...maybe a 1/2 teaspoon each??? i dunno, lol. (but you could use a pack of yeast and a pinch of salt probably).

whisk dry ingredients together

- in separate bowl, mash 2 ripe bananas.

- add about 1/2 cup of molasses (give or take).

- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (about-ish)

- teaspoon-ish vanilla

- 1/4 - 1/2 cup raisins

- walnuts to your liking ...chopped pecans are yummy too! But if you dislike nuts, omit.

- add cut up apple if you're so inclined

mix all ingredients with your hands. if it's too dry, i just add almond milk to thin it. i've also used almond milk pulp & that works pretty good too. anyway, i'm pretty sure that's everything i do.

cook on 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes. because i never use exact measurements - the time will vary. it should be firm to touch. If you want it to be less dense, just use white flour in place of some wheat. We love this bread! :)

i cut it up and refrigerate it in a ziploc. my husband loves them as snack bars when he's on the go.

Share the gluten free recipes.  We are gluten free and I like a good gluten free muffin.

Ok, to be fair, I have ended up converting a lot of recipes . . . i have weird allergies.  So, my standard flour mix for quick breads and cakes is equal parts corn flour, bean flour, potato starch, arrowroot starch, coconut flour and quinoa flakes.  But for most muffins, I will use 1/4 cup less flour than required and use a 'multigrain' mix for the last quarter cup - buckwheat groats, rice bran, hemp protein powder.  And for less moist muffins (ones that dont have banana or apple or squash), i'll just reduce the flour by 1/4 cup.  And add maybe 3/4 tsp of gum. 

So, some of our faves: 

sour cream chocolate chip

pumpkin bacon - i added another egg and some water, because the batter seemed dry

I cant find the rest . . . so . . .

SQUASH BREAD: dense but VERY popular in my house

1 3/4 C. flour 1 tsp guar;
3/4 C. light brown sugar, packed 
2 t. baking powder 
¼ tsp soda
1/2 tsp. salt 
1+ tsp. ground ginger 
1+ tsp nutmeg
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 C. milk (or buttermilk)
1 C. packed cooked butternut squash
2 large eggs
¼ c oil 

Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. 
Fit a food processor bowl with the metal blade attachment. Place the flour, sugar, and other dry ingredients in the bowl. Pulse a few times to combine.  Add the milk, eggs, oil and the squash. Pulse just until a smooth, thick batter is formed.  (i add some molasses and butter if the squash wasnt already buttered leftovers)
Spread the batter in the prepared pan and cover with topping, bake for 40 - 45 minutes at 350° F

(top  with1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, 2 tablespoons sugar)

ZUCHINI BREAD

• zest of 2 lemons
  • 3 eggs (or part subs)
  • 1/2 c vegetable oil
  • 1/2 c yoghurt (I used orange flavor)
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c white sugar
  • 2 tsps vanilla
  • 3-4 c grated summer squash
  • 1 c mini chocochips (optional)
  • 3 c flour (add 2 tsp guar if gf)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 and spray 2 loaf pans (3x5 or 4x8) with non-stick spray

Grate squash in food processor if you have one, to save time.  Grate the zest (lightly) in to a large bowl.  Add and beat by hand eggs, oil and yoghurt.  Mix in the sugars and vanilla.  Mix in the squash and optional chips.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, powder, soda and cinnamon

Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just blended (do not overmix)

Put half in each prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in to center comes out clean (no batter stuck to it).  Cool at least 5 minutes before removing from pan.

Miniature Cranberry Muffins

Ingredients:

2 c flour (1 tsp gum)

¾ c sugar

2 tsp BP

½ c butter (subs?)

2/3 c buttermilk (subs)

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 ½ c cranberries

¼ c oil

topping:

¼ c sugar

3 TB flour

1 TB butter

1 tsp cinnamon

Place cranberries and butter in food processor, pulse a few times. 

Add remaining ingredients, pulse 5 times or until just mixed. 

Fill greased mini-muffin tins 2/3 full.  Sprinkle on topping.

Bakes at 375 for 15 minutes.  Makes 48 minis.

Yeah, i mostly use soy sour cream, tho i'm trying to get one kid off soy, so i might use canned coconut milk with a little lemon juice as a sour cream sub sometimes.  In summer i like to make sour cream coffee cake, too, with berries in it . . . mmm.  I only do these things on weekends, or birthdays, or holidays.  And rarely more than twice a month.  gluten free baking is so expensive.