Menu

Dr concerned about my immune system.

AmyontheFarm

My regular family dr is on vacation.  I've been having to see the walk-in clinic dr for the past 3 weeks.  He mentioned today that he is concerned about my immune system since I haven't improved much with this last batch of antibiotics.  My family dr office opens up next week and then I'll be trying to get an appointment in there. 

Until then, what can I do to start to strengthen my immune system?  Also, any suggestions of herbal or foods to help my body fight this bronchitis?

Vitamin D made the biggest dent in our yearly quota of colds and secondary infections. I thought we were fine, living in AZ and all...I mean the sun shines like 350 days a year! But when my daughter contracted mono 4 years or so ago, her vitamin d levels measured very, very low. I bought some that day and we all take it. Grow ups and teens take 5000iu about 3-4 times a week and kids take 2000.

Your doctor can test your immune system.

I'll list some research proven stuff we do to try to boost my son's immune system in order I'd prioritize:

Healthy vitamin D levels (for you I'd take 10,000 IU of D3 every day for 6 days a week...that's low enough to avoid toxicity in an adult and high enough to raise a low level).

Epicor

Florastor

Colostrum powder

What you eat and healthy sleep is also important.

My son does Tumeric for his lungs.

Vitamin D made the biggest dent in our yearly quota of colds and secondary infections. I thought we were fine, living in AZ and all...I mean the sun shines like 350 days a year!

I second the Vit D.

We lived in Hawaii where the sun shines 365 days a year and my daughter and I were both low. The doc said some people are just chronically poor at metabolizing it from the sun. Now that we're in Alaska it's even more important to supplement.  I was really surprised at just how important it is for god immune function.

FWIW, I have had to had a stepped pack of cortisone pills when bronchitis just wouldn't budge.  I'd try the herbal and vitamin approaches at first, but my internist has done that twice when I just wasn't getting better.  I could barely get around and was short of breath, but thankfully no pneumonia. 

I checked the Vit D level in my multi vitamin - 10 mcg.  I usually remember twice a week to take it.  We live on a dairy farm and drink our milk unpasteurized.  We don't drink processed milk, so I know I'm not getting any Vit D through my milk.  So, I think that increasing my Vit D will be my first start.

I would do a garlic and onion poultice. My sister has been on antibiotics and really struggling with flu and bronchitis. The poultice had helped her a great deal & she feels relief finally. I would also up your garlic and onion intake orally (raw). They will help your immune system. Eat a sprig of fresh parsley to help with your breath :)

You're nearly surely low on D then (it takes about 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current D levels, and the vast majority of people don't make adequate D with sun exposure--even in places like Hawaii where it is good sun all year).

It might be worth seeing a pulmonologist.

Saw the Walk in Clinic dr today (it's been a different dr every time I go in!)  He had the results from my chest xray from 3 days ago, which no other dr bothered to get back to me about!    This is what it said, "There are mild changes of bronchiectasis of both lung bases and mid lung regions with some mild perbronchial inflammatory change."  In lay man's terms, I'm sick.  So, he put me back on another antibiotic for 10 days with a puffer and suggested a strong decongestant that I could pick up over the counter.

I walked out of the clinic with a photo copy of the results and showed it to my hubby who has been saying for 3 days that I just need to get moving more and I'll feel better and get out of this funk.   Yeah, this "funk" is bronchitis again!

Hoping I feel better in the morning.

You poor thing. I hope that you feel better soon. Once you are done with your new antibiotic be sure to spend some time rebuilding your immune system with Probiotics, vitamins, etc. I really like the Emergen-C  powder vitamins. I can't stand swallowing large pills so that is an easy way for me to get some vitamins down. If you can tolerate it yogurt and/or milk kefir will give you some probiotics as well. In the mean time try to get some rest. :)