Menu

I have $20

Juliette

we started homeschool yesterday and for one it didn't go so well. Ds was having a bad day. But he did get a few pages done in his umizoomie numbers workbook and last night sat down with a dry erase board with lines and practiced some writing. Luckily he is in a much better mood today!

anyways I have a umizoomie workbook for numbers and he is flying through it. And we have a Jake and the neverland pirate workbook with letters. (these are from dollar general lol) we have flash cards to help us with telling time. I also have some with letters. I have 100 ez lessons for learning to read somewhere in this mess (still unpacking). Anyways he seems to do really well with workbooks.

so my question... I have $20 to spend on homeschool stuff. And have no idea what I should get. If you only had $20 for kindergarten what would you get?

If you have a printer, MEP is free for printing, or CSMP (I skipped the calculator lessons). Or print them at a shop, surely less than $20. I alternate 100EZ with Progressive Phonics books, also free for the printing. Save up and buy some Cuisineaire rods. Our if it is burning a hole in your pocket, Kumon has some cute cut and paste workbooks for fine motor skills.

If you have 100 EZ lessons, you won't need to purchase another phonics program. I wouldn't worry about an actual math curriculum for Kindergarten either, unless you want the structure.  Use manipulatives you have on hand, smarties, beans, pasta pieces,etc.  You can find a lot of cool beginner science and things online if you want to touch on that.  Nature studies are awesome.  K is all about having fun and learning through experience.  If he likes workbooks, I'd stick with the ones you have and keep it light.  3 pages is a lot at that age. If he's shutting down, shut the book.  You can have him form letters out of playdough, pipe cleaners, etc. 

Reading eggs usually has promo codes that you can use it for a month free. Starfall is always free. Superwhy and wordworld are free on pbs on tv, and probably online on pbs.com. Look at youtube for some great, catchy math clips. I can't live without schoolhouse rock "count by fives" on youtube. I like "the big numbers" song on youtubethat slowly counts to 100. (That one's a matter of taste, but I like it to learn counting, calm down, or kill time waiting patiently. My kids like it too. You can't use "phonics 4 babies" because of the title. (It's by Sherri and Lambchops daughter, who is also a ventriloquist), but look on youtube for "the phonics 4 babies a-a-apple song"- show your kid, they won't kmow what it's called. Memorize it yourself and sing it in the car, they'll sing along.

With the $20 I would look on the used board here and find writing with ease. It's not for kindergarten... but, it's for first through fourth, it will last you a long time since it helps you make your own lessons. It covers early elementary grammer, some people say it's enough for spelling, oral reports, summerizing. It's really a good place to start for learning how to teach the language arts. I would say use your money to buy it then you can have an idea what you want this year to lead up to so you know what you're doing. Otherwise I'd the cash to buy a deck of playing cards because you can play "war" or "memory" anywhere if you keep them in your purse, and I'd spend it on acrylics and a pack of canvass, take one canvass for you and one for your kid and do jann bretts chicken (free online) for a treasure you'l keep forever... also, it's agreat introduction to the "how to draw" world.

Also, why did you start homeschool yesterday? I don't know how much reading you've done on this board, but it's generally recommended to spend up to a few months "deschooling" if you take your kid out of school to develop a rhythm to your homelife and a schedule to your day. Just try to limit tv and tell your kid to play. Look up waldorf and montessori to see things that you can not afford, but you can replicate some of. My kids got coffee stirrers with little hair rubberbands around them instead of golden beads or cuisanairre rods. I did get a book about fractions called "apple fractions" and I read the book to the kids until one learned how to read good enough to read it to me. I baked an apple pie from scratch everytime we read it.

Use my advice about youtube, though. My kid was always willing to watch math youtube clips I'd give him. I'd just tell him, "watch this and tel me one new thing you learned." Trust , me, that's just as educational asworksheets. Worksheets are good for practicing handwriting and learnjng to follow directions, for learning "what is the question asking?" which is important too,but you can learn more math facts verbally than from worksheets. "If we have six pieces of candy and me, you, and your dad shared them, how many do we get?" Keep the numbers small, keep the topics on candy, cookies, and family members, ask one to three word problems throughout the day. Answer when they make a (often ridiculous) wordproblem. He asks, what's shoe plus tree. I have to answer shoe plus tree is shoetree. Or shtooree. Anyway, now he asks me real math problems and memorizes the math facts by asking me, what's 6+7? (Non-stop somedays),. Read "kitchen table math" blog, and "buddy math" blog, and "bedtime math" website (sign up for their newsletter).

If you are looking for subjects other than the 3R's (which would be enrichment only).....for literature read alouds, poetry, music study, artist study, and such I would look into Ambleside online or EasyPeasy. They have links to free online resources for many extracurricular subjects. I pick and choose from those suggestions quite a bit. Like you, I used a dry erase handwriting board for writing in the beginning (still using it with my youngest). PBS has tons of educational shows that are good for K age. My children especially like Wild Kratts. We watched many YouTube videos of traditional children's folk songs. Those songs put some spice into our 3R work. For social studies, I hear some Mr. Rogers videos are online (haven't looked them up though). I signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime and let my Ker watch several Mr. Rogers for the one month it was free. We attend whatever free community classes available for that age group through our library, community center, and local nature center. Go to the zoo or museums if and when the have a special free day. If you don't have Netflix, there are some Magic Schoolbus videos on YouTube and probably at your local library. My daughter is doing well with the free downloads of Progressive Phonics books. 100 ez lessons is at our library. Also, the "what your _______grader needs to know" books are at our library. They have a good summary of what to cover beyond the 3Rs (again, it's fine if you just cover the 3rs for now).

Lego magazine is free, toy catalogs, and seed catalogs are free. Google them and sign up. Getting mail will keep your kid interested in looking at "books". Okay, its not literature, but toy catalogs are books, and what better to study? I thought of something else to spend your $$ on, if you're sentimental. A 3 ring binder and a pack of report protectors to keep your kids work in. (I have one for each subject-supernerd).

I'd spend 10$ on supplies like writing and copy paper, glue, markers and crayons, and set the additional 10$ aside to pay the library fines, then use the library intensively. Kindergarten doesn't require much. Maybe a used copy of a basic phonics book (I like The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading). Poke around online for cut/color/paste activities to print out, read lots and lots of library books on all topics. Draw pictures of what you read about. Write simple words and have your dc copy them. There are tons of Letter-a-Week type activities online, if you are starting with the alphabet. Do an "A" week, where you make apple prints, eat apples, draw and color a big letter A to hang on the wall, and read a book about ants. Or Ardvaarks, or whatever. Then, next week , do B. Or do mini units based on good literature. Read Make Way for Ducklings, draw ducks, read about ducks, count ducks at the pond, make a picture of a duck using circles and triangles and talk about the shapes as you do, maybe find Boston on a map.

K is so much fun!

ETA: oops! I just saw that you said you had a phonics book. :). Use that and you are all set!

Here's some free math for a yearish:  Ray's New Primary Arithmetic (you can use a bag of beans for counting)

Do you have a Kindle? If so, here's some free social studies:

The Land We Live In The Story of Our Country

Fifty Famous Stories Retold

The Boys' and Girls' Plutarch

I'd also get Aesop's Fables, or something similar. You can get any phonics book you choose used.

Check out AO for more free ideas.

Starfall.com for reading (free), leveled readers from the library. For any other program, see if your library has a copy to try before investing. Phonics Pathways and 100EZ lessons are highly recommended here, but were horrible fits for my daughter, so I was glad to try before I bought. If you want something similar to the Accelerated Reader program they use in schools, try http://www.bookadventure.com/Home.aspx. At minimum, it will give you an idea of book titles at a particular reading level so that you can look for them in the library.

Take an old photo album with "magnetic" pages--the kind where you lift the plastic and stick in a photo (if you don't have one at home, try a thrift store), then cut out pictures from magazines (often available here at the library for 10 cents), catalogs, things printed out, etc and use those as a customized "reader." We used photos of friends, family, our pets, etc and just wrote sentences or labels or letters on pieces of paper to stick in. Infinitely customizable and endlessly renewable for whatever lesson you want. I also would write simple sentences for my daughter on a piece of paper. If she could read it, then she got to illustrate it. I did find a pack of Dolch sight words from Walmart to be useful (though I know that's a controversial topic).

Get the schedule for enrichment activities at your library (usually free), and check the local nature center, parks and rec dept, and museums, which often have free or low cost classes/events, especially for that age. Get to know your children's librarian well and ask for recommendations. Many libraries have book lists for different grade levels. Use books from the library to read about any and every topic in history, science, etc. Check out books on cd to listen to in the car, see if your library has online activities for kids. See if they have something like Classical Kids or Beethoven's Wig cds to check out, if you want exposure to classical music.

Get involved with a local homeschool group who can keep you in the loop on free and low cost activities for your area.

Browse the links here http://www.enrichnc.org/homeschoolingresources  ---they are all free online resources by category for various ages. I put them up a couple of years ago, so some links may be broken.

Math games to teach basics with a deck of cards and some dice ---http://www.granby.k12.ct.us/uploaded/faculty/wyzika/Dice_and_Card_Games_to_Practice_Math_Facts.pdf   and http://www.pedagonet.com/quickies/acingmaths.pdf

Use toys, legos, etc for counting, sorting, etc--no need for special manipulatives. Use real coins from your change jar, if you have one, to teach money. If you need shapes, buy a piece of posterboard from the dollar store and cut them out (cover with packing tape or contact paper if you want them more durable).

For social studies, most historic sites have websites with free activities for kids. The national parks have Web Ranger programs with online activities for kids. Watch kids' nature shows on PBS, go on nature walks, make a rock/pinecone/leaf/whatever collection.

Spend time playing outside, going to the park, cooking together, etc.

For things to spend money on, I might buy a cheap magnifying glass (for science exploration outside) and a ream of paper for the printer. Thrift stores were my friend for cheap workbooks and lots of other items.

Here are a ton of free resources: http://www.livebinders.com/play/play_or_edit?id=9506

I would just use some of those, plus utilize your library. Then, if you have Netflix or Amazon Prime instant video (and even YouTube), you can watch a lot of good educational programs.

I would just use the $20 on supplies.. paper, crayons, glue, etc... and a few more dollar workbooks.

Some lined paper would be nice.  

Get out to the library and enjoy some books.  You can teach kindergarten well without any "curriculum."   Keep teaching letters and numbers.  Some cheap magnet letters might be nice.  Practice building words with them.  Let him copy the words he builds onto paper.

I used this curriculum for k4, and letters A-P is free if you scroll to the bottom (the entire program is $10 if you like it)

http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/RaisingRockStarsKindergarten.html

Here's another free resource that directs the child through computer work/activities (my friend uses it for her 3rd grader)

http://allinonehomeschool.com/grades/getting-ready-2/

I would honestly use something free online to guide me, add in progressive phonics or 100ez, and spend the $20 on materials (whiteboard, some markers, etc).  Your library is definitely your best friend :)

Here are a ton of free resources: http://www.livebinders.com/play/play_or_edit?id=9506

I would just use some of those, plus utilize your library. Then, if you have Netflix or Amazon Prime instant video (and even YouTube), you can watch a lot of good educational programs.

I would just use the $20 on supplies.. paper, crayons, glue, etc... and a few more dollar workbooks.

That resource is AWESOME!  Thanks for sharing!

Hit up the dollar store and buy $20 worth of paper (kids writing, construction,)  crayons, glue, scissors, etc.  a few dice, deck of cards, dominos, even a math workbook if you want.  Do you have legos or duplos?  those can be used as unifix cubes. 

You have a phonics book so you are set for awhile in that department.  workbooks aren't necessary for math.  Making up games with dice, cards, and dominos can get basic number recognition, addition, and subtraction done in an inexpensive but fun way.  

SchoolZone has a good thinking skills book. My son perfected circles when he did that book.

Spectrum books are nice also. Less than $10. K. Math is nice. Pair it with Marshmallow Math and YouTube clips and sites like education unboxed and play lots if math and intergrated it into daily life.

Www.readingbear.org is free to use after www.starfall.com both great resources for learning to read. There are lots of good YouTube clips also.

Online programs abound ... I hate to contradict, but I would say you need scope and sequence outlined.  You didn't mention how old.  I would buy paper and ink!

Honestly, mention the age, and I will just bet some of us old timers have enough links to get you through the year while you save up.

For example,

Math ...

http://themathworksheetsite.com/

http://www.aplusmath.com/Worksheets/

http://www.education.com/worksheets/math/?cid=55000.0103572&s_kwcid=tc|8363|%2bmath%20%2bworksheets||s|b|23912387815&gclid=cjiwivex8bscftjo7aode2ya-g

Phonics ...

http://www.progressivephonics.com/

Elson Readers from Google Books - free downloads

http://howtohomeschoolforfree.com/free-phonics-lessons-online/

And some vintage resources that are still quality for today are here.

So, me ... I would outline the rest of the year by topic and objective (statement of what you are to learn).  I would buy paper and ink.  LOL

ETA:  Don't forget to buy notebook paper and pencils. 

Check your library for the book, "How to Tutor" by Samuel Blumenfeld. You can purchase it in Kindle, pdf or hardcopy. If your library doesn't have it, it easily obtainable through interlibrary loan. Don't buy it until you have seen it, because you might or might not find it helpful, for a workbooky kid.

pdf $12.95 https://howtotut.ipower.com/paradigm.htm

Kindle $9.99 http://www.amazon.com/How-Tutor-Sam-Blumenfeld-ebook/dp/B006OF6D7O/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1389275928&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+tutor

Hardcopy $20.07 http://www.amazon.com/How-Tutor-Samuel-L-Blumenfeld/dp/0941995011/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389275967&sr=1-2

Check out pages 48, 49, 160, 161, 203 of the above sample.

If you find you like Sam Blumenfeld, he wrote alpha-phonics and Don Potter has a bunch of free supplements here. The library is less likely to have Alpha-Phonics, but you might be able to get it through interlibrary loan.

http://www.donpotter.net/reading_clinic.html

The Blumenfeld books are oldschool, and were more popular when the average homeschooler had a budget of $100.00 a year, and no home printer.

Also popular among the oldschoolers was the What Your Grader Needs to Know series. There is the OLD version from the 1990s and the newer version from the 2000s. The old version had sponge painted covers and no children on the front. The 2nd edition had children on the front, and is now being republished with new covers with brightly colored children's drawings. You should be able to find both editions at the library.

If you are going to be homeschooling long term on a very small budget, and have access to a decent library, the OLD edition grades 1-6 makes a great K-7/8 spine. There was no K book in the original edition, and the 6th grade book has topics advanced enough for at least 7th grade. You can still find hardcover copies in wonderful condition for pennies, with decent shipping fees at Thrift Books.

http://www.thriftbooks.com

This is a new to me resource. It's a complete scope and sequence for K-8, History, science and Bible. It lines up with a lot of The Well Trained Mind, if you have read and like the book. 

http://www.judsonschool.org/our-approach/the-international-christian-curriculum

You will easily be able to get The Well Trained MInd from the library.

Ambleside Online isn't just a free curriculum that used mostly free downloads and library books, but there is also a lovely forum.

https://amblesideonline.org/forum/

Okay, but what to BUY?

I'd buy Spectrum Math K and supplement it with library books. I'd buy the workbook instead of the pdf, since the child will be writing in it. If he needs more practice look for similar worksheets online, as you will know what to look for. And you will have the library books. If you got HTT (How to Tutor) and NtK (What Your Grader Needs to Know) from the library you will have more math from those two resources.

I'd hold on to the other $10.00 until you know if you like your phonics, and if you like HTT or NtK or AO (Ambleside Online).

If I didn't have a budget for for K I would just use the library and free online resources. I may be inclined to get a tub of C-rods if I didn't already have them. Use your money for supplies. Markers, crayons, paper, drawing pad etc. and just practice letters, numbers, simple words and sentences copywork, writing name and address etc

Also look at the book section of any Salvation Army or consignment shop near you. . Useful stuff can usually be found there for cheap. 

http://www.coreknowledge.org/ckla here's a complete K language arts program for free if you can get some of the student workbook printed, also Baltimore lesson plans are free, MEP is free, Ambleside is free (I had no money for my oldest in 1st and I just used the library and Ambleside and Miquon for math). 

I was thinking about this again last night and I second Hunter's recommendation. If you can get your hands on the How to Tutor books you can be set. I have taught 2 kids to read from that book alone. This was back in the day when I didn't have much access to the internet. I would just use that book to guide me and lots of index cards ans a sharpie.

The what you grader needs to know series will cover the blanks for all the other subjects.

If the child does not know letter sounds I would get LeapFrog's Letterfatory DVD. Then I would use that and 100EZL to teach reading. I would get paper, pencils, and a hundreds chart. If there is money for c-rods great if not I would find something around the house to use as counters: beads, beans, or rocks. Teach reading and handwriting. Teach counting to 100 and skip counting by 2,5, and 10s. Practice adding and subtacting with counters or c-rods. Read a ton of books. Remember to read science, history, poetry, and autobiographies.

I'd spend the money on school supplies like printer paper, construction paper and drawing papers, nice crayons and colored pencils, a pencil sharpener, etc. if you dont' already have those,  rather than a curriculum.  If you want curriculum, I'd try to find a used copy of Five in a Row, or, I'd just do some internet research to get a list of Five in a Row books (from the first two or three volumes) and do a pinterest/google search for activities to go along with the books.  Since you already have a phonics program and a couple of workbooks, I'd focus the rest of the money and time on "fun" stuff and try to save money for more curriculum for next year.   My KGer is generally very “schooly,†but I’ve found that the most she can do is a couple of workbooks and then she wants to do “activities,†like the 5 in a Row stuff, and you can actually find a lot of lapbook and activities ideas online if you have about an hour a week to do prep.