Menu

Need a fun, not too serious read-aloud for 8yods and 11yo ds

We loved the Eddie Dickens trilogy by Philip Ardagh.  Total silliness.  The audio by Martin Rayner is fabulous.  We are still referring to Mad Aunt Maude, Malcolm the Stoat, and many other characters and moments.  The House at Awful End is the first book.  

ETA: I was just looking it up and saw it is for kids 5 - 7.  Hmm... my kids were older than that the first time we listened to it, and we all loved it.

Alan Cumyn, The Secret Life of Owen Skye (and the two sequels).

Tim Wynne-Jones, Rex Zero series.

Howard Whitehouse, The Strictest School in the World, The Faceless Fiend, The Island of Mad Scientists.

John Fardell, Seven Professors of the Far North, Flight of the Silver Turtle, Secret of the Black Moon Moth.

Polly Horvath, The Pepins and their Problems, The Trolls, Everything on a Waffle, Mr and Mrs Bunny Detectives Extraordinaire...etc.

Noel Langley, Land of Green Ginger

Iain Lawrence, The Seance

Rachna Gilmore, That Boy Red

ETA a couple of suggestions from a junior member of the household:  Alan Snow's Ratbridge Chronicles and Kaye Umansky's books (The Silver Spoon of Solomon Snow et al.).

We also thought Angleberger's Fake Mustache was hilarious.  DS1 also recently liked The Name of the Book is Secret.  Younger DS & I are reading Mousenet, and Older DS and I are about to start The Fantastic Family Whipple, which I looks light and entertaining.