Menu

I need moral support from my grain-loving friends ;-)

Lucy in Australia

OK, this is tongue in cheek (before I offend anyone) but Christmas celebrations can set the most reasonable person (me) off, can't they? Is there no-one left in the whole wide world except my family that still eats and ENJOYS bread & pasta?!!!!!  Yes, I went off grains.  No, I didn't feel better (worse, in fact). No, I don't think I should have done it for longer. :banghead:

Love my friends, but the gluten-hating zealots need to keep their distance for a week or so :rolleyes:

Thank you :rant:

I love my healthy carbs!  Just finished a whole wheat bagel for breakfast.  Barring a true health issue, there is absolutely no way I'd ever give up or severely restrict grains.  My body would be a total wreck.  Grains contain many beneficial nutrients and complex carbs are the human body's preferred energy source.  I feel utterly crappy w/o enough of them.

Happily, I don't know anyone IRL who has partaken of the low carb Kool Aid.  Many of my IRL friends/family are either older (50+) or serious athletes--several distance runners, a professional baseball player, one plays college basketball, etc.  The older ones have seen lots of food fads come and go and so no longer fall for them.   And of course the athletes understand the value of grains and other complex carbs.

I love pasta and bread.  My grandmother was full blooded Italian.  That being said, I have seen that gluten has the potential to put my dh in the hospital.  While I do eat some bread and pasta we are very careful so that he doesn't get any.  I really miss being able to make a pot of spaghetti sauce with a big pot of noodles for supper.  He loved to make bread.  Baking bread with his grandmother was very special to him and now he just can't.  For those it really does make seriously ill it is awful.  If he didn't have to stay away from it he would love it.

Well, I'm gluten-free for actual medical reasons (not because gf is a cure-all or a "healthy lifestyle") and I still love bread and pasta. We had lasagne and breadsticks on Christmas Eve, in fact, and rolls with the same dough with dinner last night. So, I'm not a hater, just make adjustments in the ingredients for my food. Diet zealots get on everybody's nerves, I think. ;)

We love grains here. While I understand that there is a small percentage of people who cannot eat some or all grains, it makes me sad that grains are now evil in some circles. We do skip white flour and eat whole grains as much as possible (but don't take away my rice noodles!).

If I refused to eat tortillas here, I'd be missing out on a huge part of Mexican life. Same if I wouldn't have eaten naan or laghman in Kyrgyzstan. Grains are a staple everywhere and a delicious part of life.

I'd live off of bread if I could!   :lol:   I know it's not the healthiest thing in the world, but it's certainly not the worst.  I love my grains and don't ever plan on giving them up.  I don't feel like they have an adverse effect on me so I guess I should consider myself lucky.   :hurray:

Every once in awhile, I think about starting to mill my own grains, just so I can claim I'm following some sort of diet fad too while still eating bread.  And cookies.  And pasta.  And pizza crust.  And pita chips.  And pancakes.  And everything made of gluten.  Mmm...  gluten.  :drool5:

We love grains here, and since none of us have any medical reason to avoid them, we don't. 

Many of my IRL friends/family are either older (50+) <snip> The older ones have seen lots of food fads come and go and so no longer fall for them.

Maybe that's why I don't jump on the bandwagon. I've not only seen a lot of miracle diets, I've also seen plenty of food scares. In each case, the miracles and the evil foods turned out to be not so wonderful or horrible.

After my little one turned out to have non-celiac gluten intolerance, I had everyone on a GF diet for 7 mos. Didn't seem to make the slightest difference for anyone except youngest DD, so when we needed to tighten our budget, I dropped GF for the rest of us. Even youngest DD isn't grain-free or low-carb.

I've tried GF/wheat free for a time when I was struggling to figure out some gut issues. Didn't do a thing for me at all! We eat low processed foods, but we love our gluten here. I made homemade challah for Christmas to bring to my in-laws. With WHITE flour! The horror.

I am reading this while I eat leftover pie for breakfast. Regular unbleached all-purpose flour, butter, salt, a little sugar and a little water. All butter, all flaky and tender from scratch homemade pie crust. As far as I am concerned on the day after holidays pie is health food. There's fruit in the filling after all!

Aaahhhh!!! That's better... Now you all just come over to my place and eat - plenty of leftovers for everyone :hurray:

Yes, I should have said I totally understand the health issues that come with true gluten intolerance (having seen the effects with my own eyes) but I'm glad not everyone in the world has jumped on the latest "health" fad.

I'm a very unhappy girl without any grains at all. I can manage it if I eat beans three times a day, but it is hard to want to eat beans three times per day. Of course if I eat beans three times per day I am eating too much fibre, so better to have some nice bread or white rice now and then.

I don't think the grains are the problem. I think the lack of appropriate processing is the problem. It's easy for me to stay in the habit of soaking beans, but I still haven't got into the habit of soaking grains regularly.

There is only one artisan bakery in our region and if I lived in that town, I would eat their sour dough fruit loaf for morning tea every single day. Yes, $42 a week for good bread would be worth it to me. 

When my kids were very small they used to throw the cheap, white supermarket bread on the floor thinking it was a serviette or something equally inedible.