Menu

Looking for literature curriculum for high school.

My daughter is doing the Education-Portal.com English Literature and American Literature. I purchased several used books to accompany it and found websites with writing excerpts from each of the authors noted on the Education-Portal.com website. She'd using it to prep for CLEP test but she enjoys them and they are free. For her writing assignments I have her enrolled in Time4Writing.com for 2 - 8 week sessions so I don't have to check her writing work.

We used My Father's World for the first time in 9th grade.  After a very relaxed 7th/8th grade, I was not sure my kid would be up to MFW.  In particular, he embraced the reading selections, absolutely loving Bullfinches Mythology book, and later in the year reading both The Iliad and The Odyssey.  Although I've read that The Iliad is a harder read, he much preferred it.  This year, he liked Shakespeare's Julius Caesar to much that he's followed his own rabbit trail and continued to read more Shakespeare--all in the original, not any adapted versions.  He embraced Heaney's Beowulf, and just last week asked to read more of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (read an excerpt as part of the curriculum).

This is my son who doesn't care at all about reading.  He's into video games, computer builds, and cooking tv shows.  He does virtually no reading outside of school unless I "assign" it, which is usually only a few times a year.  For him to find such a passion for the MFW lit selections is just incredible to me.  In the beginning, I wondered if he really had read the books (listed above) or instead pored over a synopsis online (ha). But he will tell me the story from beginning to end, very enthusiastically, clarifying for me if I have questions, and commenting about what he's read if something similar comes up in other discussions.  Even as a little kid, he preferred the older, classical books over current children's lit (and I use that term loosely!).

We are not following the writing instruction from MFW, as I prefer other options.

My dd who will be finishing up 9th grade during the next month has done a good chunk of the English assignments from MFW AHL (9th gr.)  This includes assigned literature, some additional, optional reading (well, optional in the MFW manual, but I required it), a full reading of the Old Testament, some of which was studied for part of the English credit, and related essays.  She also did the Easy Grammar Ultimate book for grade 9.  Among some of the Bible-as-literature assignments, included were a Proverbs Project, Psalms, Job, and a Kings of Judah and Israel chart. 

She's also reading Josephus and Plutarch, and she did about half of the Anne of Green Gables study (w/essays and dictation) in Where the Brook and River Meet, but found it really easy and got tired of it.  She enjoyed the poetry from it, though, and speaking of poetry, she LOVED Gilgamesh from MFW AHL.  Her sister did, too, when she did AHL, and they are very different learning styles/personalities.

I'll have her do all, or nearly all of the English from MFW WHL for 10th grade, and probably some additional reading, too. 

This is my dd who would much rather be doing computer graphics, dancing and choreographing, running, climbing trees, etc. than sitting around reading, but she's really stepped up to the plate during her transition between 8th & 9th grades.

I just think MFW makes some great picks, even for the non-reader, because a) you can get a lot if it on audio if preferred, and b) the assignments that go with MFW lit assignments are generally pretty applicable to real life.... so there's a purpose in it besides just being "forced" to read books they don't like.

My oldest used Alpha Omega LifePac Brit lit and American Lit:

what I liked: timeline approach.  Each pack had 5 units that started with earliest literature and worked up to modern.  Excerpts are included in the LifePacs.   I could add whole books and writing that extended the program to cover 2 semesters rather than 1. Dd loved it.  She was able to cover a broad swath of literature and dig deeper as her interest lead.  The lives of the authors was discussed prior to reading the literary work.  It gave perspective to know where the author was coming from in his/her life. 

what I didn't like:  consumable.  Cover fell off first.  Other pages became lose. 

Youngest is using Scott Foresman:

what I like:  wide range of literature.  Excellent discussion questions.  Literary topics are included for discussion.  Good teacher notes.  History is presented before a work to give perspective. 

what I don't like:  the books are a bit dated (old school texts).  Not a problem if studying older literature, but if the copywrite is in the 1970's then that leaves out more modern works that I need to suppliment.

Windows to the World was an outstanding intro to lit class. I used it to teach a coop class but it would also be very good one on one.

I have an English degree and am often disappointed with literature books but this one lived up to the praise IMHO.

I'm so glad to hear this! :-) I just purchased WttW for my 10th grader. This is our first year homeschooling high school. After noticing significant gaps in composition and literary analysis we decided to make some changes. We will be adding in WttW after the first of the year.

I'm looking at a choice for next year with our outside writing class between Advanced Writing (focusing on nonfiction writing) or Literary Analysis (which uses WttW). Here is the syllabus the teacher uses for Literary Analysis, in case it may be useful:

http://www.thewriterstoolbox.info/Pages/LiteratureAnalysisComposition.aspx

Another possibility for a lit elective, which we used this summer, is "The Bible and Its Influence," designed for use in secular high schools. It's a more focused on the Bible as it shows up in Western culture through art and literature rather than specifically the Bible as a study of literary forms. http://www.bibleliteracy.org/site/Curriculum/index.htm We are non-Christian, but I feel that a thorough knowledge of Classical mythology, Shakespeare, and the Christian Bible is a very important component of literacy in Western society due to the wealth of allusions in literature and art. She is already well-versed in Shakespeare and Classical mythology but had relatively little experience with the Bible beyond the most well-known stories, so I wanted to fill the gap before hitting heavier lit work in high school and college. That's why we're also considering the class using WttW because of the education in looking for allusions, along with the annotation instruction. For our Biblical literacy course, she worked through "The Bible and Its Influence," read the Tanakh in full (JPS), a Protestant New Testament (NIV because it's what we had) in full, and the deuterocanonical material from a Roman Catholic Bible (the New American Bible, again because it's what we had). All three sources are not required by the textbook (just one), but I felt using them together gave the broadest picture. The textbook doesn't cover every bit of the Bible, but I required reading it in its entirety. We also listened to Dr. Amy-Jill Levine's lectures from the Teaching Company---"The Old Testament" and "Great Figures of the New Testament."

Another possibility for a lit elective, which we used this summer, is "The Bible and Its Influence," designed for use in secular high schools. It's a more focused on the Bible as it shows up in Western culture through art and literature rather than specifically the Bible as a study of literary forms. http://www.bibleliteracy.org/site/Curriculum/index.htm We are non-Christian, but I feel that a thorough knowledge of Classical mythology, Shakespeare, and the Christian Bible is a very important component of literacy in Western society due to the wealth of allusions in literature and art. She is already well-versed in Shakespeare and Classical mythology but had relatively little experience with the Bible beyond the most well-known stories, so I wanted to fill the gap before hitting heavier lit work in high school and college. That's why we're also considering the class using WttW because of the education in looking for allusions, along with the annotation instruction. For our Biblical literacy course, she worked through "The Bible and Its Influence," read the Tanakh in full (JPS), a Protestant New Testament (NIV because it's what we had) in full, and the deuterocanonical material from a Roman Catholic Bible (the New American Bible, again because it's what we had). All three sources are not required by the textbook (just one), but I felt using them together gave the broadest picture. The textbook doesn't cover every bit of the Bible, but I required reading it in its entirety. We also listened to Dr. Amy-Jill Levine's lectures from the Teaching Company---"The Old Testament" and "Great Figures of the New Testament."

I have been thinking of having my ds do something very much like this, with that text and the TC lectures. Did you line up the lectures with the text? I'm also curious how long it took your daughter to complete this. Did you keep track of hours at all? Thanks for any tips on how to best put these resources together.

I have been thinking of having my ds do something very much like this, with that text and the TC lectures. Did you line up the lectures with the text? I'm also curious how long it took your daughter to complete this. Did you keep track of hours at all? Thanks for any tips on how to best put these resources together.

If you want to pm me with your email address, I can send you the Word document  I used for planning, with the lessons laid out in a table and the extra material I included (some additional documentaries for instance). We ended up not doing the tests and just listening to the audio lectures in the car without doing a lot of lining up because of time. I had originally intended to do this as a full class for this year, but ended up deciding to do it over the summer with an emphasis on familiarity rather than testing because the additional literature class through VHG became available. That means I didn't add in some of the writing I might have in the original plan, it was more reading, watching, listening, and discussing. I didn't keep track of hours, I'm afraid.

I'm very much a fan of Amy Jill Levine, btw. We had a chance to hear her in person a few weeks ago and it was great.

If you want to pm me with your email address, I can send you the Word document  I used for planning, with the lessons laid out in a table and the extra material I included (some additional documentaries for instance). We ended up not doing the tests and just listening to the audio lectures in the car without doing a lot of lining up because of time. I had originally intended to do this as a full class for this year, but ended up deciding to do it over the summer with an emphasis on familiarity rather than testing because the additional literature class through VHG became available. That means I didn't add in some of the writing I might have in the original plan, it was more reading, watching, listening, and discussing. I didn't keep track of hours, I'm afraid.

I'm very much a fan of Amy Jill Levine, btw. We had a chance to hear her in person a few weeks ago and it was great.

Thank you, Karen! I will pm you. I was unsure about the Levine lectures because some of the reviews are negative. But I have listened to the first few from the library and found them fascinating myself. I'm glad to hear your positive review as well. So I think we'll go ahead. I really feel I need an "expert" in this area.

We loosely followed Notgrass' US History recommendations for literature and built our own curriculum around free reading, suggested reading with questions, and Progeny Press study guides.

This is what I'm doing this year. It's working out well.

Windows to the World was an outstanding intro to lit class. I used it to teach a coop class but it would also be very good one on one.

I have an English degree and am often disappointed with literature books but this one lived up to the praise IMHO.

I agree with Sebastian; this course was excellent. I didn't have a strong lit background as my expertise is science. However, dd and I found it very thorough and effective. We both learned so much and really enjoyed it.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

We are using a combination of Progeny Press (I agree with Margaret's comment above 100%), and an anthology when not doing a book study.  I am enormously pleased with a lesser known textbook series called "Implications in Literature". It is NOT like a standard high school textbook these days and is more like the anthologies of old.  Excellent selections, meaningful discussion and essay questions, has grammar and vocabulary review built in.  We are still doing an additional writing course, but if one has a solid base you might not need it with this textbook, because it has a lot of writing options.  http://www.textwordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

We are using a combination of Progeny Press (I agree with Margaret's comment above 100%), and an anthology when not doing a book study.  I am enormously pleased with a lesser known textbook series called "Implications in Literature". It is NOT like a standard high school textbook these days and is more like the anthologies of old.  Excellent selections, meaningful discussion and essay questions, has grammar and vocabulary review built in.  We are still doing an additional writing course, but if one has a solid base you might not need it with this textbook, because it has a lot of writing options.  http://www.textwordpress.com

Cyndi, are you actually grading the Progeny guide?  If so, what criteria are you using?  I gave up trying to grade the analysis portions of it and gave DS a grade based strictly on the vocab sections.  The rest of it is just "discussion".

Cyndi, are you actually grading the Progeny guide?  If so, what criteria are you using?  I gave up trying to grade the analysis portions of it and gave DS a grade based strictly on the vocab sections.  The rest of it is just "discussion".

Yes, I do grade more than vocabulary.  We don't do every question in the guide, as we would spend a year on a single book if we did :-)  But I look specifically for well thought out, well structured and organized responses to the more thought provoking questions. I guess I don't have  hard and fast rules for grading them.

My teens do lit classes online with our school board, they have assigned reading and then once a week meet for socratic discussion about the reading.  The classes are open to anyone who wants to join.  Families with the board get registered first and then any spots left open anyone can join.  Starting in February they are doing classic adventures (20,000 leagues under the sea, robin hood etc) and heroes of greece and rome (focusing on plutarch to read from)

Already mentioned:

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Windows to the World

Bravewriter classes

We also used Smarr reading guides.

The Lost Tools of Writing - Although this is a writing curriculum, the student really thinks about the novels used for the essays. This really was our best lit work, even though it wasn't traditional.

Windows to the World - good intro to literature studies

Excellence in Literature - good starting point for independent student that likes to chase rabbit trails and learn on their own; great for me to learn, not so great for my oldest

Center for literature online class - good class for online discussion of literary elements of books; has a separate writing class

Bravewriter - has literature component that might work well with multiple kids at different levels