Menu

Storage solution needed: unruly sleeping bags

Janie Grace

Cheap drawstring bags are a snap to sew with ripstop nylon if you want to spend more, or taffeta-like liner material if you want to spend less.  Either way, a slippery material will make for easier stuffing than would a cotton.  In a pinch, try big pillow cases and just roll the bags without folding them in half first.   There are also those vacu-seal space bags.

Camping stores sell drawstring bags. When I needed one, I brought a sleeping bag to the store to get a good fit, 

But for storage, the sleeping bags should not be compressed, as they lose loft and warming power. It can be quite considerable, maybe 10° per year -- I can't remember the exact number. Even fluffing in a dryer with tennis balls will not fully restore loft if bags have been compressed for a long time.

When I store bags, I put them in a plastic bin, so they are contained, but not compressed. You could always get one large bag for storage and a smaller stuff sack for camping.

If these are decent bags ($$$$), then you need to store them loose.  DH and DS18 store theirs in big cloth laundry bags, just loosely stuffed in the bag and hanging from a hook in the garage.  The bags cost about $2 at the grocery store in the detergent aisle.

We have some cheaper bags that get stored in nylon stuff bags - walmart has these.

Amazon has mesh bags, pretty cheap if I recall correctly.  We bought several a couple years ago, after I thought about  making them myself and failed to get around to it.

Don't store them rolled or wrapped up tightly.  Don't sore them in plastic.  You want air circulation. 

We fold them in half longways, roll them up tight and use paracord and truss them up like a roast beef. If you're good (and DH is), you can arrange it to pull the whole thing tighter on last time at the very end.

I store each sleeping bag in the reusable grocery bags- the ones that cost about a dollar to save you a nickel if you remember to bring them. :glare:   Aldis has a larger version...  plus the handles make it nicer for carrying, and they don;t have to be wrapped up so tightly- nearly impossible for he young ones to do on their own.

Flat underbed storage containers. We have a bed that has a storage compartment built in, the sleeping bags live in there.

They should not be stored for long periods in the pack sacks, but laid flat and spread out. The pack sacks are intended only for the short duration of a backpacking trip or the like.

Try not to roll them up and/or fold them the same way all the time. It's like a paper map that if continuously folded on the same spot will wear down and eventually tear.

This. Not even for the actual trip when they have to go into the sacks - sleeping bags should be stuffed into the pack sack, not folded and rolled.

Camping stores sell drawstring bags. When I needed one, I brought a sleeping bag to the store to get a good fit,

But for storage, the sleeping bags should not be compressed, as they lose loft and warming power. It can be quite considerable, maybe 10° per year -- I can't remember the exact number. Even fluffing in a dryer with tennis balls will not fully restore loft if bags have been compressed for a long time.

When I store bags, I put them in a plastic bin, so they are contained, but not compressed. You could always get one large bag for storage and a smaller stuff sack for camping.

Same here. I store them in large bins (with the sacks at the bottom). We only roll and put the sleeping bags in the storage sacks when we pack for camping.

Same here. I store them in large bins (with the sacks at the bottom). We only roll and put the sleeping bags in the storage sacks when we pack for camping.

I realize they might be better with more air, but ours are in the basement, where (in the past) there have been mice. I have no wish to provide mice with $$$ nesting material, lol.