Menu

Would you return a used item that doesn't meet expectations?

Brilliant

I ordered some items as Christmas gifts, and included a sale sweater for myself. :001_cool:   Last night I wore it for about 3 hours and was itching and miserable by the end of the evening - the sweater is horribly scratchy!  It's cotton with 30% NYLON - what were they thinking?

I've occasionally returned "used" items that didn't meet expectations, especially when they're from a store like Costco or Nordstrom with a liberal return policy.  But I feel guilty doing so.  Not sure why - it's an unwearable sweater!  Would you return?

I ordered some items as Christmas gifts, and included a sale sweater for myself. :001_cool:   Last night I wore it for about 3 hours and was itching and miserable by the end of the evening - the sweater is horribly scratchy!  It's cotton with 30% NYLON - what were they thinking?

I've occasionally returned "used" items that didn't meet expectations, especially when they're from a store like Costco or Nordstrom with a liberal return policy.  But I feel guilty doing so.  Not sure why - it's an unwearable sweater!  Would you return?

I wouldn't feel bad at all, just know that the store may not let you return it if it is against their policy.  Kohls will let you return items you have used and are unhappy with, but walmart won't.  Most quality stores would let you return such a recent purchase.

I would try. I returned a used meat slicer to Cabela's last week. We used it once and it didn't work like I thought a one valued at $180 should. I told them I used it and it wasn't happy and they took it back with no problem.

Just so you don't become the person that buys something wears it for a special occasion and then returns it for the $ just to do it the next time you need something special. I knew a guy that did that, he would buy a dress and then return it the next day after he wore it.

Just so you don't become the person that buys something wears it for a special occasion and then returns it for the $ just to do it the next time you need something special. I knew a guy that did that, he would buy a dress and then return it the next day after he wore it.

No...I promise I didn't wear it to a special occasion last night, unless you call book club a special occasion. :)

As long as the store is okay with returns on unsatisfactory items (like those stores, or Lands End or whatever), then that's totally different from keeping the tag on, wearing it to the wedding, and then returning it and pretending you never wore it.

Guest submarines

I wouldn't feel guilty, but I would return only if it wasn't terribly inconvenient. If the sweater was $10 and I needed to drive to the store and stand in line, or deal with the hassle of the return shipping, I might just donate. Not everyone is so sensitive and someone might be able to wear it.

Maybe. If I *really* like how the sweater looks, I would first try layering with an undershirt (short or long-sleeved) and see how that felt. I have a scratchy sweater that was given to me, and I really like it--so I layer it. Other scratchy sweaters that have been given to me, I've donated (unless they had tags & I could return).

But if I'm not loving it, I'd return it. If you feel badly, be totally up front at the counter: "I wore this for 3 hours and it was so scratchy, I can't stand to wear it. Can I return it?"  If they accept it back, no guilt!

Merry :-)

As long as the store is okay with returns on unsatisfactory items (like those stores, or Lands End or whatever), then that's totally different from keeping the tag on, wearing it to the wedding, and then returning it and pretending you never wore it.

Yup. If the store allows returns on unsatisfactory items, then you shouldn't feel guilty returning it. You're not satisfied, and they'd rather you return it so they keep you a satisfied customer returning for business. That's why they have that policy. And it works on me. Kohls' great customer service is one reason I keep shopping there. They have always cheerfully fixed any problem I've had...like items that have shrunk in the wash.

Yup. If the store allows returns on unsatisfactory items, then you shouldn't feel guilty returning it. You're not satisfied, and they'd rather you return it so they keep you a satisfied customer returning for business. That's why they have that policy. And it works on me. Kohls' great customer service is one reason I keep shopping there. They have always cheerfully fixed any problem I've had...like items that have shrunk in the wash.

I didn't know Kohls was that good. Hmm.

Some companies explicitly lay out their customer service policy, for example, "If you're not satisfied with any item, simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price." http://www.landsend.com/aboutus/values/guaranteed-period/ or "guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way" http://www.llbean.com/customerService/aboutLLBean/guarantee.html

My mom had an accident and destroyed a garment and brought it back to find its match to Nordstrom, where the employee immediately gave her a free replacement. My mom told her again and again that it wasn't their fault, and the employee repeatedly insisted that my mom take it for free.

Can you return it? ...probably   Should you return it? .....I'm not so sure.

I get that it made your skin itch. But, you wore it for 3 hours. You know that if you take it back, since it isn't 'damaged' they will re-ticket it and hang it on the rack and someone else will buy it. I don't like to think that I would be the one buying a sweater someone wore for three hours. 

Did the store have fitting rooms so you could try it on?    If so, did you take advantage of it?

Did the label contain clear indication of the fiber content?

I think I'm in the minority here, but I think it is one of those loses you should just absorb and be more careful next time. (Said gently because I have at least 3 things hanging in my closet that I will probably never wear again because they are uncomfortable but I would never dream of trying to return.)

edit: spelling

Just before last Christmas I got a sweater from Kohls that I wore on Christmas Eve.  I wore it for a total of 5 hours and LOVED it.  It fit great, looked great, and was super comfortable.  Only problem was a thread that I noticed was pulled about 30 minutes after I put it on.  I was mad that  I either bought it like that or it got pulled by other things in the bag so the day after Christmas I returned it.  I told them the truth and they happily gave me a refund.  So I say return it.