Menu

Tell me about Trim, Healthy Mama

Chris in VA

What kind of eating plan is it?

Did it work for you?

Etc, etc

Information AND experiences both needed, so even if you didn't or don't "do" it, but know about it, that's fine. 

Thx!

Can you get the book from your library?  If they don't have it, could they get it Inter-Library Loan for you?

I think it's one of those books you really have to read before deciding if it's something you want to try.

I'm not a fan of the authors, and really not impressed with the book.

Many fad diets work because anything that causes you to be conscious of your food choices is an improvement. However, this book encourages the use of fake foods like artificial sweeeteners, de-fatted peanutbutter, redi-whip, and other items that I really don't believe are healthy in the long run. I'm also always wary of any diet that also peddles supplements.

There is also a wacky discussion about marriages and s@x mixed in, which is, well, odd..

Here is an article about the weak science behind the plan: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2013/08/dietary-changes-that-help-with-weight-and-belly-fat-and-a-review-of-trim-healthy-mama.html

I did well with it too. They keep fats and higher fat meats together with low carbs for S meals and lean meats with carbs for E meals. My cycles actually regulated after using their recommendations, I can go for a year without a cycle, and I lost some weight.

I lost 45 lbs. this year. Easily :).

Are you keeping it off or still losing? Do you have to drink all day long? I see so many drink recipes, and I know a couple of people doing it. Every time I see them, they have a big drink in hand. I have reflux issues because my LES is partially open. I would not be able to bend over all day if I drank all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of above rubies, but I have read and implemented their book. I began Nov. 7 and have had my share of off plan moments, including the holidays, and a solid week while moving. But, I'm losing weight nonetheless. I feel great and it seems the results really speak for themselves- despite the source I have found it quite helpful in my life! It is worth a try- at least that's what I realized one day when I hit my highest weight. And I don't drink all day, although they have some great drink recipes I enjoy (;

I just got the book,last week, read it and ready to implement on Sunday. Obviously some here have NOT read the book, because it does not encourage use of fake chemical sugars, but instead Stevia which is planted based. They do not peddle supplements. It's about eating real food, but eating them correctly. I don't have to agree with their religious beliefs to agree with their dietary choices. For me, as one who prefers/tries to eat only real food, and organic at that, a lot of their stuff fits for me. Eat real butter, eat real meat, and one sister is more of a purist in terms of organic while the other is more mainstream , so it fits for everyone. I'm liking that many of the recipes are family friendly so I won't have to cook two meals, one for me and one for my family. I've used a few recipes just to try out before I officially start and they were yummy.

Going against most others, I did buy the book but sold it.

I read it, tabbed it, bought all kinds of 'special' things that we did not have in our house normally, did the plan and decided it was not for me. I did not want to cook different meals and my dh was not impressed with what the recipes offered.  

For us, eating whole foods is enough. We do eat mostly organic and all of our meats are purchased locally. For us, this works.

I do think it is a plan that can work for a lot of people and have friends who are eating that way successfully. For me though, it was  not a good fit. Many rave on the 'Muffin in a Mug' recipes, but I did not like them. I don't like Almond milk, Almond Flour or Stevia (drops or other). I got tired of Joseph's Pita's and the China Dahl was terrible to me, though a friend liked it when she added Mozzarella cheese.

It is a plan that can work, but you need to be open to new tastes and *not* be a picky eater like I am.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give this a little bump in case there are new opinions. I will be honest, the authors alone have me feeling anxious. Is the religious theory stuff as bad as I have heard? 

Ugh, i want something that works and has a decent support base. Pretty pictures on pinterest are a plus.....and how I got lured in in the first place. :)

I am currently doing THM and I really like it. Now, I am a Christian, so the religious aspect of the book doesn't bother me at all. That being said, here are the things that I really like about it:

1. Lots of support - there are many Facebook support groups that are extremely fast moving. They have lots of administrators that really understand the program who answer questions.

2. Tons and tons of Pinterest photos and recipes. If you enjoy searching for recipes, there are many to be found!

3. The book is awesome (over 600 pages long, I think - I have the e-book). It explains the science behind the program in a way that makes sense to me.

4. While it is a lower-carb diet, there is certainly a place for carbs. I really like low-carb, but after a while, I feel like I need something more. THM allows for rice, sweet potatoes, some bread (Ezekial, homemade sourdough, etc.) and some other grains. The focus is on finding a protein first (meat typically, but sometimes cottage cheese, or even protein powder) and building your meal around your protein.

5. THM is not supposed to be a diet, but rather a lifestyle (but don't all diets say that?). Specifically with THM, if you cheat or go off program, it is fine. You just wait three hours and start over. On other diets when I "cheat," I tend to just blow the whole day. But THM is set up differently so you don't have to do that.

I started THM last year, but due to a personal situation which brought a lot of stress into my life, I stopped the plan. I just re-started it a few weeks ago and I am enjoying it. As with any diet, it takes a while to find what works best for each individual. I tend to enjoy creamy foods/desserts, and I find myself eating probably too much dairy. However, I am working on tweaking things to find other alternatives that I will also enjoy. One thing that I am doing differently this time is that I joined a small, private THM group and we are reading through the book together. When I read the book last year, I found that I was anxious to just get through it and start the diet. This time, I am trying to absorb it more so that I can really make this a lifestyle change.

Hope that helps!

My husband and I started THM in February and love it so far. I also love that this is a life style and not a fad diet. I lost over 100# before, only to gain it back because I couldn't maintain eating the way I did to lose it. THM can be easily done for life. We are also Christians so the religious aspect doesn't bother me.