Menu

Just bought a KitchenAid - oh, my!!!!

BakersDozen

Can't believe we finally took the plunge and bought one!  600 Pro Green Apple...I'm so excited!!  Kohl's had a fairly good deal: 20% off, Kohl's cash, rebate.  

Wow, that was hard to do!  It's a lot of $ but we do breakfast baking in huge batches at least twice/month so hopefully this will pay itself off.  If nothing else it will be nice to not have to mix everything by hand.  :)

The nice thing about this purchase is that years ago my mom went to close one of her credit cards and was told she had a huge amount of points to redeem.  She bought a 6-quart KA and told me, "I don't really need this since I live alone and never bake anymore.  I thought about giving it to you but, you know..."

Nice.  This is the same woman who told me after she received a large insurance settlement that, "I was going to write you a really large check but, you know..."

So now I have the mixer.  No big check but hey, it's one thing at least you know...  ;)

I will confess that I bought one a year or so ago only because of chatter on this board.  It was life-changing.  I live to multi-task, and it gives me such a thrill to be able to knead bread and do something else at the same time.  Other favorite tasks:  making cookies without softening the butter (makes me feel so rebellious); shredding chicken breasts; making my own mayo; and making marshmallows.  If anyone in your house likes marshmallows, you really must make your own.  So danged fun, and so yummy, but no one in my house likes marshmallows.  I am handing them off to friends and neighbors.

Enjoy!  Except for the thing with your mom, but way to show her you don't need her stinkin' mixer.

Now you can build a colection of bulky attachments! You'll need the grater slicer for sure, and the wisk and dough hook, maybe the copper bowl for mad crazy egg whites. Oo! There's an icecream bowl I just saw that's neat. And the pasta roller. The glass bowl. Meat grinder. A rubber edged paddle for goopy dough. I love my KA, but ai need more shelves if I am to pursue this to the logical end of owning every add on. That's logical, right?

making cookies without softening the butter (makes me feel so rebellious)

Lol!  

Army girl has spankin' new espresso-colored in a box waiting for her.

I eyed that color for a long, long time.  Deciding was an agonizing process!

Now you can build a colection of bulky attachments! You'll need the grater slicer for sure, and the wisk and dough hook, maybe the copper bowl for mad crazy egg whites. Oo! There's an icecream bowl I just saw that's neat. And the pasta roller. The glass bowl. Meat grinder. A rubber edged paddle for goopy dough. I love my KA, but ai need more shelves if I am to pursue this to the logical end of owning every add on. That's logical, right? 

My dh is still recovering from sticker shock so I think I'll wait at least a year...possibly two...before approaching him about attachments and other fun stuff.  :)

Oooo, I am pretty sure my mom is getting me this for Christmas. 

Geez, does your mom need a new kid??  I'll "adopt" myself out!  

If anyone in your house likes marshmallows, you really must make your own.  

Making your own marshmallows??  That was added to our holiday to-do list as we've never tried it before!  But then I mix everything by hand (always fun when one is octupling the waffle batter or cookie mix).  

My 17 yo one has been dying - i use it all the time for my gluten free breads.  It was really struggling to mash potatoes on thanksgiving, and its really not been doing above speed 6 for a few years.  I've been thinking about it more since your post, and its still on sale at Kohls and I just got a 25% off coupon which starts thursday - if its still on sale thursday, I just might go buy myself one . . . kohls is just up the street . .. 

That's fun!!  I just bought one for my daughter for her birthday!  I got a refurbished one from Overstock.  (I think someone here recommended that -- thanks!)  I am a little worried about how she'll get it back to her home in Costa Rica, but hopefully she'll figure something out...  We may have to take it apart and carry one piece down at a time!

I disliked my kitchen aid at first.  It caused me to want to bake ALL THE TIME.  Consumed most of my days the first few weeks.  I wanted to try everything from bread dough to mashed potatoes.  Love it!  could not live without it.    It makes cookie baking so easy, I just line everything up on the counter measure and dump into the kitchen aid, it does all the work.  I have one recipe that calls for 5minutes of mixing...yeah, like I'll stand there with a handmixer for 5 minutes...not

Have fun with it.