Menu

Board Game Storage??

Baseball mom

Open shelves in a closet, but sometimes I leave 1-2 games out on the (dedicated game) table.  That keeps the room looking neater and still encourages game play.  If things are packed away, I forget about them; but if they're out in the open and I see them too much, they fade into the scenery.  (It's complicated in my head! LOL)

This isn't a location, more of a direction, but we store ours vertically, standing on their sides like books.  If the lid is not super-tight, I keep a rubber band around it.  It makes it a thousand percent easier to pull one out without disrupting the rest.  It also encourages small fry (okay, mine are all medium to large fry at this point) to put the game completely back in its place.

Ours live in a coat closet that we (I) have turned into a toy closet.

Tall bookshelves in a small walk-in closet. The 'game closet'. I can keep some games out of the reach of little hands that way. The kids are in there all the time, and their friends head there first when they come over, but it's near our lounge so not far away. A friend has hers on open shelving in her lounge, I find that too cluttered for my taste, but it certainly works for them!

My biggest helpful tip...I keep a small bucket (a bowl or box would work) in our closet to throw loose game pieces into. When the kids are pulling out multiple games to play it's inevitable that we'll find some pieces around the house. We just throw them in the bucket and we know to check there if we're missing any pieces. Every few months or so the bucket starts looking full so we go through the whole bucket and sort the pieces into their proper games (I get the kids to help).

This isn't a location, more of a direction, but we store ours vertically, standing on their sides like books.  If the lid is not super-tight, I keep a rubber band around it.  It makes it a thousand percent easier to pull one out without disrupting the rest.  It also encourages small fry (okay, mine are all medium to large fry at this point) to put the game completely back in its place.

Lovely idea! My kids often end up stacking the games on the floor in front of the shelves because they can't get them back on the shelf correctly.

This is genius!! We're moving and deciding right now which games to take and which to replace on arrival -- this is brilliant for storing when we get to our new home. 

We keep ours in the linen closet, as I keep linens in the closet shelf of whatever room they go to. For packing (we have very limited space) I think I'm going to put all the pieces into baggies, and nest as many boxes inside each other as I can so we still end up with boxes once moved. If I can't nest them, I'll put them "inside out" (aka, the top under the bottom, so the box is open) and put those on the bottom of the suitcase with clothes, etc. inside/on top so they take up less bulk/we don't loose the space. Anything to get our games home!

AMDG

Right now we have a coffee table that opens and the most played games are in there. The rest are on shelves in the garage.

I dont like this system at all, though. We don't keep a lot on the coffee table but some. It all has to be removed, the games rummaged through and displaced and often removed to get to the target game, and it ends up a mess in the coffee table, by the table, and on the couch.

Sigh

I really dont have any where else to put them. I do have bookshelves but games mostly look like clutter to me and I don't think I want to do that.

I am just beginning The Great Advent Declutter and Cleaning Project. I hope something reveals itself to me over the next few weeks b/c I really want something new.

Both ways. I haven't seen it make a difference in play.

We also have an old atlas stand from the library. We put games of interest out on that. A lot of games can even be set up on there and placed back in the stand to pull out later (for long games).

Oh, and there is a lamp from Target which has small bookshelves under there. Great for card games.

I don't think it would hurt to try it both ways and see if it makes a difference to your family.

Thanks for answering.  I am always looking for a better way to store things.

I looked for this other day after posting and couldn't find it.  I thought maybe I didn't hit submit after I got done.  Guess I did.

Mine are in a cabinet right now.  I am still deciding if I want to rearrange and have them in the open. 

Something I have done to minimize the mess in case they get dumped is to make sure all game pieces are in baggies or pill bottles. And any cards or money pieces are rubberbanded.