Menu

Unreal--stupid house buyer

Moxie

I think this does in the sale. We've gone out of our way several times already. We were paying ALL her closing costs. We'd extended the closing date twice while she tried to get her loan approved. We're moving on, I think.

Oh, bummer. But I can totally understand. Last house I sold, I came THIS CLOSE to just walking away from our nut job buyer. I went to great lengths to make sure she didn't have access to our new address.

Hopefully this will free you up for a legitimate, qualified, reasonable buyer.

So sorry... what a giant pain!

We went through all kinds of hassle selling our last house to a crazy person, including having to lower the price more than $7500 a few days before closing (long story). We're renting my grandmother's old house now and hope to build our dream home (by which I mean a little house that's exactly how I want it -- nothing fancy) next year. If I have my way, we won't ever sell a house again!!

Hope this all works out for the best in the end!

Maybe the job change was more important.  I can't remember the specifics, but dh changed jobs right before we bought our house.  We knew it might mess with things but he needed to change jobs.  There would be other houses, but the chance to leave the job might be brief.  In the end, it was fine for us though.

That really sucks for you though. :(

Maybe the job change was more important. I can't remember the specifics, but dh changed jobs right before we bought our house. We knew it might mess with things but he needed to change jobs. There would be other houses, but the chance to leave the job might be brief. In the end, it was fine for us though.

That really sucks for you though. :(

Except she will now have to pay for all the inspections and things that were going to be paid at closing (so, paid by us) and it looks like we will keep her earnest money (which is not much compared to the amount of work we've done after her inspection).

I feel for you. But it ended up working out for me, and I hope it will for you also.

My house went under contract two days after it went live. That offer fell through at the final walk-through a week later. The couple are both government employees and decided not to chance it with the uncertainty of a shutdown. I got to keep $8K in earnest money and we had other interested parties so it wasn't terribly upsetting. 

Second offer came through a day later - full price, cash purchase, and they wanted possession in 10 days. I couldn't have written a more perfect offer MYSELF! That offer ALSO fell through the day before closing when the buyer's grandmother flew in from Hong Kong to preview the home.  Well apparently our address is unlucky.  That netted me $10K in earnest money. 

So in 15 days on the market, I made $18K independent of a successful sale. It's now been on the market for 25 days. We had two separate couples come twice each this week, so I'm hoping for a contract by the weekend.

Hope you find your buyer soon.  Chin up, it can only get better.

Yep, if I hadn't wanted to sell a house so badly, I could have kept $8K in earnest money, but my lawyer said that given how well-padded my buyer was (all cash, deep pockets, and lots of legal help at his disposal) he would have given me a huge fight to get to keep the money.  As it was, when I finally talked to him, he was 48 hours into breach of contract and scared to death--he didn't have time to go to court.  We both just wanted to transfer the house, so I let the thing ride.  He realized what an idiot he'd been and apologized profusely for letting things get out of hand. 

I don't ever want to do that again.