Menu

sometimes you overhear the strangest things....

AMJ

Just now, from my two kids playing Minecraft while they wait to go to Aikido:  "I'm not a turkey!  I'm a chicken!"

From DH the other day, after the kids yet again left the sofa in full recline mode:  "If you don't start putting down the footrests I'm going to unplug the couch!"    :eek: 

(We have a sectional with two powered reclining seats.  Funny thing is, I'm the one who insisted on getting those powered seats, but the middle reclining seat -- NOT powered -- seems to be my preferred place to sit.)

What have you been overhearing lately?

I was in the grocery store this afternoon and overheard (or, maybe, shamelessly eavesdropped upon) two kids having a very serious discussion in the candy aisle. My favorite part was this 8- or 9-year-old boy studying the options and earnestly asking his friend, "Which do you suppose is a better investment? Squirt gum or squirt candy?"

I also got some fascinating insights as to whether Ring Pops are solely for girls.

When I was at the grocery store the other day, I heard a mother tell her daughter -- who was ogling the candy -- "That's not really candy, it just looks like it!"

I was in the grocery store this afternoon and overheard (or, maybe, shamelessly eavesdropped upon) two kids having a very serious discussion in the candy aisle. My favorite part was this 8- or 9-year-old boy studying the options and earnestly asking his friend, "Which do you suppose is a better investment? Squirt gum or squirt candy?"

I also got some fascinating insights as to whether Ring Pops are solely for girls.

These both made me laugh. :lol:

ETA: And I needed a laugh today. Thanks!

ROFLOL! Good one. "Investment."

Where I live, on my ds's little league team, Ring Pops are NOT just for girls, but great care is taken to choose a non-girly color Ring Pop. ;)

Waiting for my kids in the lobby area of the YMCA right now and four SAHMs sit down and start gossiping about a bunch of other moms I know and then start talking about a young man at my church in ways I don't think their husbands would approve. For goodness sake, don't gossip in public!

My boys always bring their money to their baseball games to buy ring pops. Not sure what the fascination is, but I remember loving them when I was a kid too

One of my nephews (pre-teen) loves ring pops, apparently because they look a lot like the kid is sucking on a pacifier.  He calls them his "binkies".

:confused1:

"My stool is like toothpaste.I need to eat more salad."

Overheard while eating my dinner at a restaurant. <insertgaggingsmilie>

:blink:

I once worked breakfast at a local hotel's restaurant, and was responsible for the baked goods.  The bran muffins were to be made from a mix (though I was allowed to make the other kinds from scratch), but they needed a little dressing up to make them more flavorful and appealing.  I added bran flake cereal as part of my attempts to make them more tasty, which apparently worked, though a little too well.  One very sweet elderly lady came up to me one day as I was restocking the display of muffins and asked if I baked them myself. 

"Why, yes!" I replied. 

"They are wonderful, my dear, the best tasting bran muffins I've ever tasted," she replied.  "However, I wonder if you could dial it down just a little bit?  My friends and I love them because they work so well helping us stay regular, but we find we have to split them.  Just 1/2 is enough for each of us for the entire day!"

I guess that's why the hotel insisted on using the mix for bran muffins!

:blush5:

Something I never thought I'd say: "No wands at the dinner table!"

This reminds me of a friend who couldn't believe she actually said, "Don't dance your beans."

Her dd was obsessed with ballet and had picked up two green beans off her dinner plate and was using them as legs which were doing ballet. Neat kid. Super smart and really talented at ballet. She still dances.

Minecraft has generated some of the weirdest definitely.  8 y/o niece was visiting, little sweet-as-sugar-princess girl.  Playing Minecraft with DD, she kept yelling "There's a cow!  Kill it!  Kill it!" 

Also apparently they were trying to figure out how to get a baby animal in a certain area without the parent animal there also.  I found that out later, after I heard the convo from the 8 y/o  "Lure them into the corral, and then kill the parent!"  :ohmy:  :ohmy:   What the heck???

Minecraft has generated some of the weirdest definitely. 8 y/o niece was visiting, little sweet-as-sugar-princess girl. Playing Minecraft with DD, she kept yelling "There's a cow! Kill it! Kill it!"

Also apparently they were trying to figure out how to get a baby animal in a certain area without the parent animal there also. I found that out later, after I heard the convo from the 8 y/o "Lure them into the corral, and then kill the parent!" :ohmy: :ohmy: What the heck???

My son asked me if I had ever had to kill a sheep. Lol

Minecraft has generated some of the weirdest definitely. 8 y/o niece was visiting, little sweet-as-sugar-princess girl. Playing Minecraft with DD, she kept yelling "There's a cow! Kill it! Kill it!"

Also apparently they were trying to figure out how to get a baby animal in a certain area without the parent animal there also. I found that out later, after I heard the convo from the 8 y/o "Lure them into the corral, and then kill the parent!" :ohmy: :ohmy: What the heck???

Yeah Minecraft cracks me up. I waffle back and forth about whether to allow it in a non peaceful mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Overheard today:

"Mommy, can I have some chemicals?  Pleeeeeeease?"  :w00t:

Very young boy (maybe age 5), upon seeing the Halloween candy placed decoratively in glass flasks at our local science academy.

During my visit to the library yesterday, I felt like hugging the customer service assistant (the job I'm applying for).  She came out where there were a lot of teens in the large open area, being quite boisterous.  She came out from behind the desk, gathered them and said, "You all know what the fox says, right?  Do you know what librarians say?"  We all wait with baited breath....  "Shh, shh, shh...shh, shh...shh, shhhh."  they all cracked up and quieted down.  What a great line, even though it has about  a three week shelf life.