Menu

How can I earn $7000 a month in warehouse space?

walkermamaof4

We run a huge kids consignment sale twice a year. We lost our space. No one will rent a space short term these days. So we will lose our business unless we find a new space. So we found one that isn't great but we can make it work except it costs $70000 per year more than we make from the sale. Can you think of something we can do to earn that much money over the other ten months of the year in the space? It is 40,000 sf. Ideas anyone?

sub lease the space for others if the lease allows?? (book sales, etc)

If insurance would allow, run a indoor play area for kids?? But that is rather a full time job.... There are several around here that do drop off baby sitting for like $15/hour or a set per day fee and week long camps during public school breaks. They have those big inflatable bouncers, tables et up with arts and crafts kids can do, kind of like an indoor fair, but a bit more organized.

The other thing (depends on size of warehouse) would be short term storage for large loads. I worked in one job where we sometimes needed to store a piece of large equipment for 2 weeks till it could betaken to port or the like. 

But I would probably look for a community center that would rent a couple rooms. Even our library has a large conference hall (holds like 250) for rent.

We need 40000 feet so we have outgrown the churches. We held it in one for years. No vacant stores in our area rent short-term. We've called them all and have a commercial realtor as well.

If you were open year round, could you do with a smaller space, since the merchandise would rotate in and out more quickly? The shop I used took 90 day consignments, so if that person's items didn't sell in 90 days, they were picked up. Then they gave a credit (or cash) to use for items in the store. I would get what I needed (at great prices) then take the rest in cash. They only took high quality items, priced them reasonably, and since they were open years (I lived in the area four years), I assume they were supporting themselves (or one of their incomes).

Rent it to seasonal vendors? Haunted houses or Halloween stores are. Ery common here for Sept to Oct. Christmas bazaars or spring outdoor shows?

What about a temporary tent site like the fireworks stands use for your sale?

I don't think you can feasibly expect to earn $70K in 10 months with this warehouse space, unless you turn it into something that's going to require a whole lot more in overhead expenses.  Any kind of business that would bring in that kind of money each month is going to require staff support, increased insurance on the space, etc.  In other words, you'll have to spend more money in order to make that money (and even then, it's not guaranteed).  

If I was in your shoes, I would look into the large tent rental (as was suggested by a previous poster).  Or possibly consider moving your events to the next town, if you have a town/city within a 30 min. drive that would have that kind of space for rent.  

I don't know what area you are in, but with that cost, I would look at purchasing an empty lot (maybe on the outskirts) and make sure you could get a permit to run a "fair" there. Then do it 2-3 times a year and rent tents to hold the sale and maybe lease booths to vendors.

We have some fairs here that are held once a year and they rent those HUGE tents (at least 40 feet wide by about 100 feet long) and rent out booths. Also they have some charity sales in a couple of them.

The local Halloween pumpkin patches and Christmas tree sale lots just rent open space from the city and put up tents for the season. I was wondering if that would be an option for you. Also, how about the local community college? The company that I work for holds their "All Hands" meeting at the local community college where they rent empty conference rooms for very reasonable fees - so please call your local community colleges or universities to see if it is an option.

Another thought I had was if you are near a big city, they have large convention centers for rent in the big hotels.

Good luck.

Haven't read other posts, but I'm thinking about the Halloween stores that pop up for a couple months in the fall.  Maybe these locations (although they are store fronts) would be interested in having their space used other times during the year.