Menu

What Craft/Hobby Thing are you doing this week? week 9

PrincessMommy

Hi All... our weekly craft and hobby thread.   Everyone is invited to share what they've been working on, no matter how small.

I've been working on a baby blanket for a grand-niece.  And I have a long-time project on another loom :closedeyes: that I've finally  started working on again.  I really need to finish it... as it's been on the loom since last spring!

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

What's everyone else been up to?

I am so miffed at myself.  I was going to take pictures of all the components of my statement wreath and post them to their appropriate patterns, but I forgot to take the pictures!  Well I did manage to remember to take a picture of the turkey that is the centerpiece.  I hope to have a picture of the finished wreath in the next couple of days.

I've been busy! Last week I took a class on free motion quilting. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be - I have a lot to learn and practice from the class! 

I have basted my son's quilt together. I am hoping I'll be able to quilt it in the evenings this week, but I'm not sure I'll have time. I won't have any time this weekend, so I may have to put it off until next week. 

This.. http://www.thegartergirl.com/2009/12/04/free-knitting-pattern-burberry-inspired-cowl-neck-scarf/

I've ripped it out three times and now I've adapted it for circular needles. It is an easy pattern, I just keep loosing focus.  sigh

Love cowls and fingerless mitts this time of year and they are wonderful Christmas presents.

I finished the Badge/Patch sewing last night for my little cub scout.

Now I am hoping to sew together the pieces of my 4yo DS's Christmas stocking. I spent the last year cross stitching the front, so now I need to get it together.

Since I am still working on preparing stuff for the kid consignment sale, I am not going to be more ambitious than that. Of course, now I want to make a max hat for my little guy too! I am going to have to keep my circular needles out of sight for a while I think.

Finishing toddler sweater #4 in lavender and multi http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90440AD.html and #5 in black with white trim (same sweater, in bulky), and starting #6 in white and pipsqueak pixie powder. 

Eta: I bought yarn for the first time in...3years, maybe? I have been given a great deal, but I rarely buy. These sweaters will be the last scrappy pieces , and then I can start using some yarn purchased for a project, rather than trying to find a project to use yarn I didn't choose.

I hope that doesn't sound ungrateful. I'm just looking forward to choosing my own yarn and knitting what I want the way I want.

post-23781-0-18082400-1380664242_thumb.jpg

I've been doing birthday knitting so far this month.  I made the Tam of Rassilon for one dd http://ravel.me/GailV/ybq28 (that's a Ravelry link that supposedly anyone can use -- this is the first time I've used the "sharing" button on a project, so no real clue how it works) and the 221B hat for other dd http://ravel.me/GailV/1ulfr (another Ravelry shared link).

Yesterday I made a pair of green leggings for a turtle outfit for a musical (Legend of Sleeping Beauty), using an Ottobre pattern and some green interlock.  I also tried to fix up a Maleficent costume the director had purchased to make it look less cheesy -- alas, my efforts were in vain.  However, the director agreed it was pretty bad, so we have clearance to do our own thing insofar as the costume is concerned.  We've been looking up cosplays of Maleficent, and have an idea of where to go with it.  I'll start tomorrow when McCall's patterns go on sale at JoAnn -- I found a pattern for a "base" of the costume.

I also discovered that I've apparently lost the ability to post photos, and I'm too distracted to figure it back out right now.  Hopefully by the time we get the costumes complete I'll remember or rediscover how to do that.

I've been doing birthday knitting so far this month.  I made the Tam of Rassilon for one dd http://ravel.me/GailV/ybq28 (that's a Ravelry link that supposedly anyone can use -- this is the first time I've used the "sharing" button on a project, so no real clue how it works) and the 221B hat for other dd http://ravel.me/GailV/1ulfr (another Ravelry shared link).

I have been planning on knitting the 221B hat for my son's girlfriend as a Christmas gift. How did it go?

It's pretty easy.  For some reason my brain wasn't working when I started the decrease rows, so the pattern was coming out wonky until I realized my error (I thought I was supposed to decrease 2 stitches into 1, but it's actually *3* stitches into 1).  If I hadn't knit it while gabbing with other moms during dd's ballet classes, I probably would've done better with that part  :001_rolleyes:.  

Also, I dislike how I did the smiley, but dd doesn't care that much, and most people have no clue why it even  has a smiley.

If *I* got this done in a little over a week, you'll have it done in no time!

I made 18 Chapstick cozies for my dd's gymnastics team. They are performing for the first time this weekend, and most of the girls have been together for a year at this gym. My dd is the new kid, so she wanted to give everyone a good luck gift. Also have to crochet three mug cozies for her coaches tomorrow!!!

I made 18 Chapstick cozies for my dd's gymnastics team. They are performing for the first time this weekend, and most of the girls have been together for a year at this gym. My dd is the new kid, so she wanted to give everyone a good luck gift. Also have to crochet three mug cozies for her coaches tomorrow!!!

Well, GL to your DD, I'm a team mom too!  How were the chapstick cozies, difficult?  I have a pattern pinned but I'm not good with itty bitty crochet.

I bought yarn today for Knitty's Fetching for Rebecca (possibly Sylvia if it only takes one ball) and some bed socks for DH.  I also got my DPN's so I'm working on the i-cord for my plastic bag holder.  I'll definitely have a project to take on the road for our first meet next weekend!

BTW, I think there's a gym mom thread here, I'd love to hear how your DD did!

It's super super easy. Made all 18 in a few hours. The hard part is weaving in my ends and attaching the buttons lol. This first performance isn't a competition, it's a show at the county fair. :-) Since these girls are all 5-7 it's a way to help them get the performance jitters out in a relatively small arena.

I finished a maroon and tan rag wreath for the craft sale next month and a green rag garland with red "Scandinavian" fabric accents.  I like the garland, but my husband said it has too much green.  If it doesn't sell, it is totally going on our tree.  Now I need to think up a focal point for the wreath.  I cant tie a pretty bow, so I am trying to come up with a way to attach some bells into some kind of arrangement.  Anyone have any ideas?  I have spent way too much time on etsy trying to find just the thing, but haven't found it yet.  I have most of the strips cut to make a garland in the same colors as the wreath, just need to get started on it.  I am loving doing these projects, especially since all of the time I spend resting and watching tv is now productive.  I was thinking of setting up an etsy site, but I noticed earlier that there is a glut of projects that look just like mine all of a sudden.  It is that time of year to start thinking about wreaths and garlands.