Menu

Something equal to M&M's or skittles?

amo_mea_filiis.

Ds can't have food coloring or really sticky/chewy like taffy or skittles (spacers in mouth).

I need something small and edible like the above but without food dyes. I need to run some trials (DTT, but not so discrete) on a few school related skills.

Ideas on a treat fitting the bill?

Not chocolate, not colored (unless I can find health food store alternative), not crazy sticky, quickly edible.

I was at Costco last week and picked up this really yummy cinnamon pecans, cashews, and peaches and apples snack mix.  It is soo yummy.  All my kids love it.  The dried fruit bits are small...and do not make up the majority of the mix (nuts do), so it might work for you.  

It says, "Kirkland Signature/Sahale Snacks... Nut Blend... Pecan-Cashew Nut Crisp with Cinnamon Apples + Peaches."  It was $10 for a big bag.

My kids love Annie's organic fruit snacks (especially the berry patch flavor).  They're basically like all natural gummy bears, but a lot less sticky (they're softer and melt in your mouth more quickly).  They don't have any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.

We buy them at our local natural foods store, but I think they're available at Target as well.

http://www.annies.com/products/Organic-Fruit-Snacks

Make your own super small sugar cookies? Or regular size divided up into small bites.

I know you said no chocolate, but I can tolerate allergy free chocolate chips, they have no milk or soy:

http://www.amazon.com/Enjoy-Life-Semi-Sweet-Chocolate-10-Ounce/dp/B000HDJZWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379957408&sr=8-1&keywords=allergy+free+chocolate+chips

He doesn't like chocolate.

Tiny cookies sounds like it might work! I know he'd love HFS fruit snacks. And thanks for the natural candy link.

I do need edible so it doesn't become the focus of the lesson (he'd obsess over playing if it were a Lego or other toy). He also tends to have something in his mouth during reading lessons. And something edible is easier fade. Edible also allows me to keep it simple ("yesterday I got 5 Lego pieces, today I'll only work for a new set," etc).

My goal is to get him to stop speaking when I say stop (he'll say a word wrong, then spit out 3-4 guesses), then allow gentle correction (he speaks over me), then force blending (again continues to guess). This should take a week or two, then I have to fade to include stop and correction before treat. Then fade to all 3 parts, then fade to certain parts of the lessons, and finally to a treat per lesson.

I imagine we'll cycle though the lessons 2-3 times, but on the 3rd round, I want to get him straight through for 32 days with only a treat after each lesson.

I hope that he'll not only get some solid reading skills, but the process should also force his brain to wake up without being over active.

I may do this for reading and math and have no idea why I let his therapists talk me out of this months ago.

I'm going to make/buy a bunch of things (thanks again for suggestions!) and switch it up to hopefully keep him motivated.

I know you said no chocolate but was that because of the dyes? I just picked up a bag of natural/dye free M&M knock offs from Kroger (grocery store). It was the Simple Truth brand. They are small and taste just like regular M&Ms but the colors are different. I got them for the same reason. What about pennies or nickels? Maybe a non food treat or minutes for tv/video games? We have the dye free suckers but they are too big for me to give more than one as incentives.

If you get marshmallows, be sure to get natural dye-free ones.  Most regular white marshmallows have artificial colors in them (I know they have blue and possibly something else - it's been awhile since I looked at the ingredients).  Since they're white, you wouldn't think they contain colors - but they do.   :glare:

We've tried this brand, and they're not bad:  http://www.vitacost.com/elyon-mini-marshmallows-fat-gluten-free-natural-vanilla?csrc=GPF-PA-759474100029&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=759474100029&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=759474100029&gclid=CLOIjNqS4rkCFUXhQgod4EAAhw

If you get marshmallows, be sure to get natural dye-free ones. Most regular white marshmallows have artificial colors in them (I know they have blue and possibly something else - it's been awhile since I looked at the ingredients). Since they're white, you wouldn't think they contain colors - but they do. :glare:

We've tried this brand, and they're not bad: http://www.vitacost.com/elyon-mini-marshmallows-fat-gluten-free-natural-vanilla?csrc=GPF-PA-759474100029&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=759474100029&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=759474100029&gclid=CLOIjNqS4rkCFUXhQgod4EAAhw

Yeah, ds knows to check marshmallows. He yells at the bags every time. Lol.

I made out quite well. Since I'm only avoiding colors and not worrying about crap (corn syrup, etc) it was easy.

I got: fig newtons (will cut into 4ths), Annie's bunny grahams, goldfish colors, (no numbered colors!), Annie's cheddar bunnies, and mott's medleys fruit snacks (new and no numbered colors!).

I will be making snack sized bag of about 20 pieces per baggie. Some mixes, some one at a time. As we work, I'll note if certain baggies are more or less motivating.

So the whole 20 pieces thing isn't going to work. Lol. That was just way too little (I need to be nearly constantly tossing treats at him in the beginning). So I made a few bags of 8 of each except the fig newtons, which I did one broken in 4ths. Right now (this week) each baggie will have about 40 pieces.

I'll give him random pieces during the lesson, and at the end he can have the rest. Maybe. I have to be careful to keep him motivated. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

If you think cookies might work and you aren't making them yourself, you might want check out Ian's cookies buttons. They come in boxes of 6 100 calorie pouches. They have choc chip and snicker doodle flavor. Each cookie is tiny, maybe 3/4" in diameter.

If you do marshmallows, we get erewon brand. It is dye free. As another poster said most brands have dye even though they are white.

Week one was a big fat crappy fail!

He obsessed over the amount of treat left in the bag, played with them, and didn't pay any attention to correction (he would stare and me and say "ok, I get it. Can I have the treat now?"). I'll give this method one more week to see if anything improves, otherwise I'm practically rewarding his impulsive behavior and lack of effort.

I did get him to sit and buckle (he has a special tomato chair with seat belt) consistently, and the buckling helps prevent him from "forgetting" and leaving the table.

He added a new behavior- turning away from me and the lesson.

So behaviorally, it was a very challenging week, but that's fairly normal. His supplements are still building back up, and his therapist was here (he doesn't like her).

Academically speaking, it was actually pretty positive. He was able to read quite a bit in between "behaviors," and seems to have retained what we did.

Eye dr tomorrow. I know his convergence insufficiency symptoms are back, and he was also able to say that black and white cartoons are easier to see than color cartoons. I really hope that ds likes this eye dr and is cooperative and willing and able to explain some things.