Menu

If someone said, "We will get that back to you by the end of the summer....."

DawnM

If something were promised by the end of the summer  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What would you take "end of summer" to mean, particularly if it had to do with a school item?

• I would expect to receive it by September 22nd, according to the calendar
    • I would expect to receive it by the time the kids are traditionally back in school (around Labor Day or so)
    • I would not assume anything, it isn't a good idea!
    • Other

Just curious.

I was told (in late May!)  something would be back to me by the end of the summer and I guess I thought it would be back to me by now but when I asked I was told that summer doesn't end for another week, so too bad (not in those exact words.)

I realize technically that end of summer is Saturday, but all the end of summer parties I went to two weeks ago and school starting just puts a different perspective on things for me, particularly as it relates to school items.

Dawn

I was told (in late May!)  something would be back to me by the end of the summer and I guess I thought it would be back to me by now but when I asked I was told that summer doesn't end for another week, so too bad (not in those exact words.)

I would think it would mean about this time of year—not a particular date but definitely by the end of September. Depending on what was borrowed, I think it's kind of rude for the borrower to have an attitude of "Whatevs. Summer isn't over yet," if you asked about the item and need it back.

Other.  It would be on me to clarify the date of return.  I doubt I would accept such a vague answer for when someone will get back to me.  I prefer hard deadlines.

If I was going to be vague, for a school related item my expectation would be that the item would be returned to me by labor day.

Ok, I admit to clicking other to be contrary.  I really would have thought the end of summer would be when all the schools in the area were back in session, no matter the calendar date.  The Sep 21st thing would ONLY fly with me if I knew the person well, and they laughingly *asked* if summer could extend through Sep 21st, since that's the date that fall begins (or whatever). 

It sounds like you've got a really, really nervy borrower, one who would never, ever borrow anything from me again.  If they were a family member, it might be another story, but I'd start examining that relationship really critically.

I would assume sometime around Labor Day and when kids typically go back to school.  However, I almost never lend out things because they are either never returned or returned in poorer condition than when they left.  IF I were to lend something out and the person said, "I'll get it back to you by the end of summer." I would clarify right then and there exactly when I needed it back, particularly if I needed it for my own child. 

If I then had to ask for it back and was told that summer wasn't over for another week that person would never borrow another thing from me again.

End of summer for me means when kids are back in school or Labor Day at the latest.  This person would never be allowed to borrow from me if that is the attitude.  I could see if one was trying to enforce a provision in a legal document.  I would tell such person that you needed it now;  Summer is over as far as you are concerned and that their attitude is pretty nervy.  But, I'm cranky like that today.

End of Summer means about Labor day or when the kids go back to school.  If I meant mid-Sept. I would have said "Mid-Sept".  Yes, I know too that technically "summer" ends on the 22nd... but if you live in the northern parts of North America, it may not be feeling very summer-like this week - I have trees beginning to change here in DC area.

Sounds like that person is being snarky to me. 

Sounds like the borrower is taking longer to finish using the item than anticipated, and is using the calendar technicality to buy them some extra time.

Still, I would expect the calendar to be mentioned in a light-hearted, self-deprecating way, something like, "Oh gee, I'm not quite done with it yet. But, you know, summer's not technically over until Sept. 22, so I've still got some time left, right? (he, he, chuckle)."

Giving the lender the impression that it's "too bad" and she's not getting her item back until the borrower is good and ready is just unfair and unacceptable.

Was it a school related item? If so, then it should be back to you in time to start the school year.  If it's not a school item and the borrower is just being snarky with dates, then I hope they enjoyed borrowing your item because it'll probably be a looong time before you loan to them again! 

Nobody around here thinks it's still summer...school has been in for weeks, it's after Labor Day, and the fall weather has started.