Menu

Greek myths for 8 year olds

Writerdaddy

Sorry I did a search first...

What are the best books on the Greek gods for children 8 years old?

Unfortunately we don't do so well with old classics-- just got off on the wrong foot-- so miss quimby's primer of Ancient Greece for young gentlemen and ladies, or whatever, wont do it for us.

I do want it to be factual however.

Can you help?

1. D'Aulaire's is perfect and a classic. 

2. Gods, Men and Monsters from the Greek Myths is an equally dense, reliable, readable and beautifully illustrated resource that will serve for years.

3. Tales of Ancient Greece by Enid Blyton makes for a nice read-aloud. It's had a couple of different illustrators, but both are black-and-white line, so it's less well-suited for immersive poring-over than the first two.

My son loved "Greek gods, Heroes, and Men". Its a free google book:

http://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5Qaf_pwLr6WVu0WVlXq1Rv0Tok-BmyLu7-KtUytSJyHlkGB5LLXphG5UT0dJtpgqctmsn4kdRhgA4pDd-wmlhpClxAGNKA8eSw2e43Md-LgLFwbyeAV6ZdO-WrbSA3yevRsINK8g_Mb1WoV9LhpGPtdfS-nMqrfvM6PKmx1hVMm_7BwydYbpK-D80fDTF-3TsazpzqbnfW_kJRjPXr0qhdZhViIQnOHzqOLxvPZEan0_JaEhpls69O7H1Is5zuXgp1jfr1cpIOC_Q3TaNWkURQQfWQ2COeg

We also own and really like the D'Aulaire book.

We also have read the Percy Jackson series a couple of times (and my son enjoys other series by Rick Riordan - which are also mythology based). They are a fun read for my son & a perfect launching pad for other mythology books and discussions.

My boys learned a lot from watching the 90s tv show Hercules   :lol:

We also checked out a lot of books at the library.  We preferred the illustrated picture books to the compilation books.

Like these:

Pandora

The Hero and the Minotaur

Why Spiders Spin

Why Dolphins Call

Hercules

ETA:

Oops, forgot about the Don Nardo books:

The Monsters and Creatures of Greek Mythology

The Gods and Goddesses of Greek Mythology

The Heroes and Mortals of Greek Mythology

This is a really good one as well. Parents should be aware that the content isn't as sanitized as the McElderry book I recommended earlier, which is why I use the latter in the primary grades.

I'm searching my memory-bank for material in Alice Low that ought to be sanitized out for children (it being a book that is aimed at kids) and failing to come up with anything. What content are you talking about?

Bill

Padric Colum's versions of the Odyssey and Iliad are good-and are available as free e-books.  Be aware, though-if your DC plans to take the National Mythology Exam, neither these nor the Mary Pope Osborne ones prepare well for those subtests-DD hit a couple of questions that apparently were version-specific on the Iliad one last year. (Realistically, you don't NEED to take those subtests at 8-she did three more tests last year than she needed to do based on age/grade level-but if someone has a mythology crazy kid like mine who wants to do the whole thing, it's worth keeping in mind).

I'm searching my memory-bank for material in Alice Low that ought to be sanitized out for children (it being a book that is aimed at kids) and failing to come up with anything. What content are you talking about?

Bill

In the story of Jason, the McElderry book leaves out a lot of the nastier details about Medea that the Low book includes.

Like what?

Bill

Medea murdering her brother, King Pelias, her children with Jason, and Jason's new wife Glaucus. I'd have to pull out the McElderry book but their Jason & Medea story glosses over the nastier details. I don't think kids in the primary grades need to hear the full version until they are a bit older.

This year I have been reading aloud Greek myths to my dc aged 10 down to 6.  The two older kids obviously can do it on their own, but what I've found that works for us is first starting out with the Classics Illustrated Comics (Jack Lake productions with forewards by Bill Jones) versions of Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid.  The language is advanced, but the comic book pictures really help their understanding.  My boys really enjoy it.  From there we move into upper elementary narratives.  The two that I like are Black Ships Before Troy which is the Iliad trans. by Rosemary Sutcliff and illustrated by Alan Lee.  I also like The Odyssey trans. by Geraldine McCaughrean and illus. by Victor Ambrus.  A third book that I was happy to find at the library this year is The Adventures of Achilles by Hugh Lupton.  It is a Barefoot Classics for Advanced Readers.  I really like the illustrations.  It's the story of Achilles--of course it is not sanitized, but it isn't grotesque imo.   Once we finished all those, I was going to turn them loose with something on their own reading level.  D'Aulairs? But I might also look up Bill's suggestion.  

The bottom line for me is that the myths are convoluted because there are so many characters.  The only way that I, myself, can keep them straight is if we are reading them in more than book.  Quite frankly, the visual cues of the comic books are invaluable. So they might be just comics, but that is where we start.  

This book is incredibly silly, but my children checked it out so many times from the library that I finally caved and bought it:

Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders by Michael Townsend

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Greek-Myths-Wonder-Blunders/dp/0803733089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378698281&sr=8-1&keywords=wonder+blunder+greek+myths

Thanks for this!  My kids were climbing over my shoulder to try and get a good look at the preview.

Padric Colum's versions of the Odyssey and Iliad are good-and are available as free e-books.  Be aware, though-if your DC plans to take the National Mythology Exam, neither these nor the Mary Pope Osborne ones prepare well for those subtests-DD hit a couple of questions that apparently were version-specific on the Iliad one last year. (Realistically, you don't NEED to take those subtests at 8-she did three more tests last year than she needed to do based on age/grade level-but if someone has a mythology crazy kid like mine who wants to do the whole thing, it's worth keeping in mind).

We're reading The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy right now and I am head over heels in love with Willy Pogany's illustrations.

Medea murdering her brother, King Pelias, her children with Jason, and Jason's new wife Glaucus. I'd have to pull out the McElderry book but their Jason & Medea story glosses over the nastier details. I don't think kids in the primary grades need to hear the full version until they are a bit older.

How does the Medea story make sense if she doesn't lose her mind and murder?

Those who prefer their books not be dumbed-down and bowdelerized might look at Alice Low. Much better than D'Aulaire IMO.

Bill