Menu

Teaching Essay Writing

WWS 1 was a bust. Lively Art of Writing is not going well either. I know about IEW's "The Elegant Essay" and MCT's "Essay Voyage"/"Advanced Academic Writing". What else is out there that teaches how to write an essay? DD is probably going to do private high school (either online or B&M) so I'm not interested in a progym curriculum unless it also teaches modern essay-writing.

Thanks!

Ok, maybe Ruth is right for the latest edition of LTOW, but I got an older edition, and I couldn't make it work for me at all.  3 binders?  going back and forth between them all?  Some parts are too scripted, and some parts aren't at all clear how you use them.  

Or maybe Ruth is just way smarter than I am.  Yeah, that's probably it.   ;)   Anyway, I just wanted to say that despite really wanting to like LTOW, I couldn't figure out how to make the older edition that I got cheap work, and I"m too cheap to plunk down the $$ for the latest edition new.

What hasn't worked for you guys about WWS and Lively Art of Writing?  That might help us advise. . . 

And for Lively Art of Writing, have you seen the workbooks that somebody here posted?

There is always Weston's  A Rulebook for Arguments, which also has a workbook that goes with it.  I like the looks of that, and was thinking about using it after LAoW.

I really like Essay Voyage as something you read through and discuss to get a nice, big picture, whole to parts explanation of the essay, but I don't like how it teaches using quotations and I don't like most of the assignments in it.  I don't think it's enough on its own.

With WWS 1, DD could do the outlining and paraphrasing from her outline into a narrative okay but it was like pulling teeth to get her to do it. She complained that the passages had nothing to do with what we were studying. So we ditched the workbook and worked on those skills using source material from her content subjects. But doing that hasn't translated into being able to write an original essay in response to an assigned prompt.

With LAoW, I've been using the workbook from the Yahoo group and she's in chapter 4. Again trying to get her to complete the assignments is like pulling teeth. She claims that she has "no opinion" on any of the prompts and the only way we got an essay out of her was DH assigning her to write on why parents should or should not purchase Minecraft for their children.

If she were in a B&M middle school now, she'd be expected to crank out a 5 paragraph essay (or longer) in response to an assigned prompt without having a meltdown over it. That's what I need to get her to be able to do.

Ok, maybe Ruth is right for the latest edition of LTOW, but I got an older edition, and I couldn't make it work for me at all.  3 binders?  going back and forth between them all?  Some parts are too scripted, and some parts aren't at all clear how you use them.  

Or maybe Ruth is just way smarter than I am.  Yeah, that's probably it.   ;)   Anyway, I just wanted to say that despite really wanting to like LTOW, I couldn't figure out how to make the older edition that I got cheap work, and I"m too cheap to plunk down the $$ for the latest edition new.

I bought the new edition.  I have definitely heard bad things about the older edition.  I feel pretty lucky that the government gives me $700 per child for curriculum, but doubt very much that I am smarter than you! :001_smile:

How about skipping a curriculum and just having her write a 5 paragraph essay every week.  Model one start to finish every monday.  Have her pick a topic and research on Tuesday, write on Wed, edit on Thurs, final copy on Friday.  Like 8fill, but include a modelling day with you since she is new to it.

With WWS 1, DD could do the outlining and paraphrasing from her outline into a narrative okay but it was like pulling teeth to get her to do it. She complained that the passages had nothing to do with what we were studying. So we ditched the workbook and worked on those skills using source material from her content subjects. But doing that hasn't translated into being able to write an original essay in response to an assigned prompt.

With LAoW, I've been using the workbook from the Yahoo group and she's in chapter 4. Again trying to get her to complete the assignments is like pulling teeth. She claims that she has "no opinion" on any of the prompts and the only way we got an essay out of her was DH assigning her to write on why parents should or should not purchase Minecraft for their children.

If she were in a B&M middle school now, she'd be expected to crank out a 5 paragraph essay (or longer) in response to an assigned prompt without having a meltdown over it. That's what I need to get her to be able to do.

This sounds a bit familiar.  My 12-yo didn't like WWS for similar reasons. If it makes you feel any better, dd went to B&M school last year for 6th, and they wrote three formal writing pieces - and I don't think they were more than paragraphs!  I think they did also practice prompts for the MCAS.  But I was still hugely underwhelmed and ended up hiring a writing teacher for an after-school essay class (she writes much better when she has others' work to compare hers to).  I outsourced writing for my older two around this age too.   They do have opinions, just not on prompts.  The biggest opinion being they don't want to write anything for me.   And any feedback I give them is annoying or possibly personally insulting. For some reason they are much more motivated to write for others, and the exact same feedback is taken with grace and applied. :001_rolleyes:

For younger I've tried Time4Writing (awful), Home2Teach (much better, but they won't necessarily let you take the classes you want), and this fall I'm trying the Middle School Writing from Aim Academy.  Hasn't started yet, but the teacher seems really on top of things  - I'm cautiously optimistic.

What grade is she going into? She may already be eons ahead of the students she will be in school with if that makes you feel any better. I used Writing Skills by EPS which mostly focuses on the different types of paragraphs and a little bit on the essay in the first book. There are 3 books and I think the 3rd book has more essay writing. I felt the book helped ds get up to speed with school writing. Also, by covering the different paragraphs that would help with essays too.

It sounds like maybe her issue is attitude and not ability so much?  I mean this helpfully, not snarkily!  But from what you describe it sounds like she can write, but just really doesn't want to.  I"m not sure that a different writing program will address this, so much as trying to reach her with whatever motivates her.  

I think if this were my issue, I'd say something like, "My job is to prepare you for the kind of writing you will do in X (high school, college - some place she is looking forward to getting to).  In X, you will be given an essay question, and expected to answer it in writing.  Here's an example."  and then pick something from what she's studying and walk her through the process (modelling), then having her do it with another topic.  So for my dd, who is studying the early 20th century, it might be something like: Describe how life was difficult at the turn of the century for three groups:  women, immigrant children, and black Americans.  I'd have her write at least a 3-paragraph answer to this question (one for each group), then I would show her how to turn it into an essay:  you have a thesis (life was difficult at the turn of the century for these groups), you have a body - your 3 paragraphs, one about each group - and then you write your conclusion.

That's just an example of how I might model the process, using material she's familiar with and making it as relevant to her educational goals as possible.  

OTOH, if you are asking her to write essays where she comes up with her own thesis, she might really not have anything to say!  Your dd is the same age as mine, a young 6th grader not yet 11, and I find that while she's starting to have opinions about things more, she really doesn't think in "arguments" yet (though I'm sure this is coming ;) ), and it's hard for her to develop a thesis and come up with reasons for it.  She does fine with report writing, but not really essays yet.  I think it's a maturity/readiness issue, not so much a writing ability issue.  So most of her writing assignments now are more factual - biographical sketches, chronological narratives, descriptions, and when I do assign her an "essay" I try to make it have a very specific prompt, or have it be answering a question as above.  I think she will need to practice forming arguments about a given topic before I can expect her to come up with her own topic and form arguments about it.  It's like SWB says, when you are teaching something new, only have them do one hard/new thing at a time.  

Anyway, I don't know if these ramblings are at all helpful, but this is what I woke up thinking about this morning, so I thought I'd share it!  Good luck.

Eh... I've taught at public middle schools. Most kids are not cranking out 5 paragraph essays. In fact, few were capable of more than a paragraph. Sure, we practiced essays for the sake of standardized tests, but they were hardly proficient at it. I wouldn't worry. Your daughter will get there when she's ready.

Eh... I've taught at public middle schools. Most kids are not cranking out 5 paragraph essays. In fact, few were capable of more than a paragraph. Sure, we practiced essays for the sake of standardized tests, but they were hardly proficient at it. I wouldn't worry. Your daughter will get there when she's ready.

That would depend. In our local PS last year fourth graders wrote a 5 paragraph essay once a month. There is plenty of essay writing in the middle school as well, so I wouldn't dismiss CW's concerns.

That would depend. In our local PS last year fourth graders wrote a 5 paragraph essay once a month. There is plenty of essay writing in the middle school as well, so I wouldn't dismiss CW's concerns.

There is a difference between writing and quality writing.   I do NOT believe that 4th graders are producing quality essay writing.   The rare exception, maybe.   But vast majority.....no way.

There are two resources that I've found helpful with essay writing at your dd's age:

Write Source Grade level books: You can get them very cheaply used on Amazon. They lead a child step by step through different essay types.

IEW's writing from your head method. Have the child brainstorm an idea. Then brainstorm 3 things to say about it. Then ask questions about each point (why, what, etc--anything to flesh out the ideas). Create and outline or graphic organizer as you go. Then the child writes the essay from the organizer/outline.

A couple of questions/suggestions:

I am wondering if the prompts you are expecting her to use are too mature for her. I understand that she is gifted, but she may not have the ability to analyze on quite the level you are expecting. LAoW is a high school writing book. The Minecraft essay topic is exactly the level other children her age are writing about. At her age, have her write about that sort of topic. My son's best essay at our daughter's age was one on why we should buy a Wii. If you want her to learn about the structure of writing an essay, make the topic appealing. Once the process is easy, make the topic more difficult.

Also, it is more than okay at her level of writing/resistance to sit with her and support her. Brainstorm with her, actually write the graphic organizer for her, make a list of the questions that can be used to brainstorm and ask them to her. As she becomes more comfortable with the process, I think she will be less resistant.

There is a difference between writing and quality writing. I do NOT believe that 4th graders are producing quality essay writing. The rare exception, maybe. But vast majority.....no way.

Yet they still have to put something on paper, so you can't sit and say you have no ideas. I am not arguing about the quality (most likely they are very poor quality), but I plan to send my kids back in the 8th grade and I know somehow they need to be able to write from prompts no matter how silly they seem. I can just see my boys staring at the empty paper because they have no opinions. If I weren't planning on sending my kids back eventually, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yet they still have to put something on paper, so you can't sit and say you have no ideas. I am not arguing about the quality (most likely they are very poor quality), but I plan to send my kids back in the 8th grade and I know somehow they need to be able to write from prompts no matter how silly they seem. I can just see my boys staring at the empty paper because they have no opinions. If I weren't planning on sending my kids back eventually, I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually, in 8th grade, I would worry about it and expect.   In 4th grade, no.   The writing expectations between 4th and 8th should be hugely variant.

OTOH, if you are asking her to write essays where she comes up with her own thesis, she might really not have anything to say!  Your dd is the same age as mine, a young 6th grader not yet 11, and I find that while she's starting to have opinions about things more, she really doesn't think in "arguments" yet (though I'm sure this is coming ;) ), and it's hard for her to develop a thesis and come up with reasons for it.

This may be the heart of the issue. She does fine in writing responses to specific discussion questions from her literature textbook. But give her just a general topic or very open-ended prompt and it's meltdown city.

The information on essay-writing in the actual book part of LAoW isn't beyond where she is at this point, which is why I had chosen to use it.

Actually, in 8th grade, I would worry about it and expect. In 4th grade, no. The writing expectations between 4th and 8th should be hugely variant.

I don't disagree. There was a comment made that kids were only writing a paragraph in middle school. I just think that isn't a correct statement, so if you are heading to PS, know what you getting into. I agree that teaching essay writing in fourth seems unnecessarily early.

CW, Evan Moore materials are used heavily in our district for writing assignments.

I don't disagree. There was a comment made that kids were only writing a paragraph in middle school. I just think that isn't a correct statement, so if you are heading to PS, know what you getting into. I agree that teaching essay writing in fourth seems unnecessarily early.

I didn't worry about essay writing in 4th or 5th for that reason. We worked on paragraph-writing in 4th and on WWS skills in 5th.

If you have Amazon prime and a kindle, you can get Hands On Essays for free. (the ebook is $8.99)There is a video component that helps keep the assignments light and fun. They are linked in the ebook. Otherwise, The videos are on www.Handsonessays.com and the workbook is 16.99. I plan on using this later this year to re-introduce my children to writing essays.

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-On-Essays-ebook/dp/B00C4KTMR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378229614&sr=8-1&keywords=hands+on+essays

I am becoming a convert to the vintage texts Tara the Liberator frequently recommends. Perhaps you may be interested in looking one or more of these. Mainly I am thinking of Writing in English (Maxwell, 1900). It covers narration, description, exposition, and argument, along with other more specific skills in writing. Chapter XIV gives a very clear, concise model for argument (essay) writing. I have not used it myself, but I bought a copy of this book and plan to use for middle school as a preparation or beginning writing course for essay writing. At any rate you can look at it for free:

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=s1sQAAAAYAAJ&rdid=book-s1sQAAAAYAAJ&rdot=1

I am currently using the text Maxwell wrote that precedes the one above (School Composition for Use in Higher Grammar Classes. 1902). I returned my copies of WWS1 and am very pleased with the School Composition text so far (though I have only just started it). It appears to cover the same goals I had with WWS1 but is much easier to use and has clear, concise explanations.

http://books.google.com/books/about/School_Composition.html?id=E_8AAAAAYAAJ

• 4 months later...

Mrs Twain, are you still using the Maxwell text? If so, how is it going?

Yes, I love Maxwell's School Composition.  We are not terribly far in it, though, because I have been alternating weeks between School Composition and IEW SICC-B.

I think it is a good fit for my 5th grader because he has done a fair amount of writing prior this (IEW SWI-A, various paragraph writing programs, and period research reports).  The exercises in School Composition have helped him practice narration and description.  The models are great--  interesting and age-appropriate excerpts from famous 19th century writers.

I have looked at a lot of essay-writing books and programs over the last couple weeks. I stumbled across Writing Extraordinary Essays and so far it is my favorite for the middle-school level. It was one of the few books that focused more on style and quality than a formula-based approach, at least for middle schoolers. (I like LAoW, but it seems better for high school.) The author got my interest right away when he began by asserting that you must read a genre in order to write one. He has his students read and analyze quality essays for weeks before he has them write any.

One thing I don't like about the book is that it is written to the teacher rather than the student. But I think a smart middle-schooler could make use of it anyway. The author is also a cartoonist, and has strips throughout, which I think would appeal to students as well. 

I'm hanging on to my copy. The other books are going back to Amazon and library.

I am becoming a convert to the vintage texts Tara the Liberator frequently recommends.  Perhaps you may be interested in looking one or more of these.  Mainly I am thinking of Writing in English (Maxwell, 1900).  It covers narration, description, exposition, and argument, along with other more specific skills in writing.  Chapter XIV gives a very clear, concise model for argument (essay) writing.  I have not used it myself, but I bought a copy of this book and plan to use for middle school as a preparation or beginning writing course for essay writing.  At any rate you can look at it for free:

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=s1sQAAAAYAAJ&rdid=book-s1sQAAAAYAAJ&rdot=1

I am currently using the text Maxwell wrote that proceeds the one above (School Composition for Use in Higher Grammar Classes. 1902).  I returned my copies of WWS1 and am very pleased with the School Composition text so far (though I have only just started it).  It appears to cover the same goals I had with WWS1 but is much easier to use and has clear, concise explanations.

http://books.google.com/books/about/School_Composition.html?id=E_8AAAAAYAAJ

Used the Writing with English William H. Maxwell text with my son last year (7th grade). It is filled with excellent descriptions and models from classic literature. We read through it concurrently with WWS 1, and it matched up well. There is one 1900s hardback copy on Amazon for 4.99 plus shipping, and it is probably available online for free. If your child is comfortable with classic literature, this could be a useful supplement. If not, skip it.

It sounds like your child is having the most trouble with the prompts themselves, in this way might be similar to SWB's brother. SWB says that some people (usually "engineering types" like her brother" really don't do well with writing prompts and often really don't have any opinion at all on them. One of SWB's downloadable lectures covers this very topic, but I am not sure which one. 

There is also a book filled with unusual writing prompts for kids available on Amazon. It is called Unjournaling and is designed to offer an alternative to the standard writing prompts used in schools.

http://www.amazon.com/Unjournaling-Writing-Exercises-Personal-Introspective/dp/1877673706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390129085&sr=8-1&keywords=unjournaling

There are several free online courses that I have discovered.

Education Portal has a college composition class that would be doable for a bright 6th or 7th grader if you are available to help.

HippoCampus has two composition courses. One of them is taught by a virtual Buddhist monk named Master Lu who has a very soothing voice. :D

CK-12.org has a Commonsense Composition flexbook.

Funny, I just saw that I was mentioned for recommending vintage texts, and here I post about online courses!

School Composition and Writing in English are excellent resources and what I use with my own dd, who is also 11 and in 6th. recommended the other things because they are very focused specifically on composition writing, while the Maxwell materials teach a variety of writing styles.