Menu

If you have classroom teaching experience, I'd appreciate your help.

My daughter (homeschooled from 7th grade on and a recent college graduate) recently began teaching English to kindergarteners and early elementary aged children in South Korea.  Her biggest challenge is classroom control.

Do you have any suggestions for establishing and then maintaining classroom control?

All resources (first hand experiences, books, websites, Youtube videos) would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

My favorite and the one I still use with my kids is "Assertive classroom discipline". It is very positive discipline. I used it with several children who had been labeled as "problem" kids with success. I would try to find the link, but I'm on my tablet and can't link.

Also routines,routines, routines. And if she is not the primary teacher, good communication with the main classroom teacher so they can be on the same page.

ps the author is Canter. I have the 2002 edition and I never looked at any other system or book because it just worked,but it does take effort on the teachr's part to get started, then it becomes more automatic.

One of the best pieces of advice my master teacher gave me when I was student teaching is this: Someone is going to be in charge in the classroom, either you or the kids. And it better be you!

There are a lot of different techniques, rewards systems, points, tickets, "pull a card" type things, but what really made a difference is having an attitude of quiet control. It's in the attitude and demeanor of the teacher. When I walk into a classroom or am in any sort of teaching situation, I am in control. And the kids know it.

One thing that helped was to physically practice all routines (lining up, washing hands, even walking to the cafeteria). If things started getting out of control, we would practice again.

I don't know if her kids have enough understanding of English at this point, but the other thing that really helped was to tell the kids *ahead of time* what your expectations are. So, before going on a field trip or having an assembly, we would talk about what the expectations were for that.

Does she have a "getting attention" signal? I used a chime and also a hand clap pattern (that the kids would repeat) to get the kids attention when they were all talking and we had to shift to listening. It is better than trying to talk over them which can be impossible!

The last piece of advice I have is to build relationships with the kids as much as possible. They will want to listen and follow directions more (plus it makes teaching more rewarding!).

Use your physical presence. Move around the classroom--move near the child who is not attending, is making noise, etc. If they're in a desk and you are standing, you are much bigger and your presence is commanding. Of course with kindergarteners you're bigger anyway, but this was important with high school students who may be bigger than you when standing.

Think through the details of any activity you want to do, especially if it involves getting out of seats, moving around the classroom, interacting with peers, etc. Try to foresee what might cause misbehavior and have a plan in advance. Restructure the activity if necessary. And have activities worth doing--the more engaged the kids are, the easier it is to control the class.

Build relationships with the kids. If you win a kid over, they'll be on your side. Have fun with your students (but still maintain your role as the one in charge!)

You've gotten a lot of good advice here. 

Your dd has several strikes against her.  Not only is she new and young, she's speaking a language the children don't know well, if at all.  That makes it easy for them to just ignore her.  Is she allowed to use any Korean in class?  If she could tell them her expectations first in Korean, then practice in English, that might help.  Practice any behavior she will expect regularly by giving explicit instructions on how to do it.  It helps to call on kids who are doing what she wants - raising hand, sitting quietly - praising them for it and giving them an opportunity to do the next fun activity.  "I like how Billy is sitting quietly and raising his hand.  Billy, you may come up to greet my puppet, Mr. Bear."  (Cute puppets are a huge hit with this age.) If someone is misbehaving, before correcting him, praise the closest kid who is doing it right and the problem may simply stop.  "I like how Michael is keeping his hands to himself.  Michael, you may take the first turn."  (Joey wants a turn, too, so he stops poking his neighbor.)

:lol: Looks like we all had The First Days of School.  The only decent teacher I had in my college education classes said, "If you don't want the students to get your goat, don't let them know where it is tied."  It has been a long time.  I don't remember much. :confused:   But kids will generally live up to your expectations for them.  I had some tough classes that I had to mentally gear myself up for every. single. day., and I felt like crying when we were done most days, but we made it through in a more or less orderly fashion and the kids learned something.  When I subbed (teacher's were often asked to sub on their planning hours), I'd see my kids scattered throughout other classes.  Some classes would come in and be calm and ready to work.  Others (with overlapping rosters) would come in crazy and loud and it would be like the first day of school all over again.  Kids know what they can get away with in each class.  I had hall duty.  I'd hear my kids swearing in other classes, but they never would in mine.  I don't remember many details of what I did, but she shouldn't be afraid to have high expectations.  And, really, high expectations doesn't mean mean or even tough.  I was a pushover in many ways, but there was a line that the kids couldn't cross.

Is it an immersion class? How is her Korean? There is going to be a cultural adjustment required on her part, so as she is working on her classroom management skills, she should check that she doesn't do even little things that are just so odd to the children.

If she is breaking some sort of unwritten rule, she may come across as lazy or a hypocrite to the children, even if she doesn't realize it and they are too young to voice what they are perceiving.

In some cultures, children stand to speak in class--not just raise their hands, or the teacher greets them in a certain way and they return the greeting in a certain way.

One way to encourage participation and attentiveness is to cut up some "tickets" to use each day in class. As kids come in and get started on the morning activity, she should walk around and give tickets to students saying, "I like the way Johnny is sitting quietly and doing his work" etc. Then, she can give tickets to kids raising their hands and participating,etc. at the end of class, students write their names on all their tickets and she draws one for a reward (if she doesn't want to use a small piece of candy, the reward can be something else like eating lunch with the teacher,etc.) If you go to Pinterest and search for classroom control ideas, you'll find all kinds of ideas!

Many thanks to all who have replied thus far!  Your responses are much appreciated.

On the topic of books:

My favorite and the one I still use with my kids is "Assertive classroom discipline". It is very positive discipline.

Assertive Discipline: Positive Behavior Management for Today's Classroom by  Lee Canter

This does look good; thanks for the title.

There is a fantastic book called "The First Days of School" that details how to set up classroom rules and procedures.

This is what I used to run my 8th grade classroom. I had the best behaved classes in the entire Jr. High.

Harry Wong's book is great.  A great resource for everything in a new teacher's year, expected or unexpected. 

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

I was also going to suggest The First Days of School by Harry Wong.  great book!

The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher  by Harry K. Wong

Well, this certainly seems to have a fan club! The Kindle that my daughter bought with her graduation gift monies may be getting a work out.

My favorite classroom discipline resource was Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay. Very practical, very effective. 

Thanks for this book title, too.  Have you read the first review on the Amazon page?  It's by "A Customer" and is titled Warning to Brand New Teachers.  It's overall a very positive review but one of the reviewer's statements is "Trust me: if your only rules on the wall are from the Love and Logic list, you will be eaten alive."  Would you agree with that, craftyerin?

Regards,

Kareni

On the topic of rewards, etc.:

There are a lot of different techniques, rewards systems, points, tickets, "pull a card" type things

One way to encourage participation and attentiveness is to cut up some "tickets" to use each day in class. ... If you go to Pinterest and search for classroom control ideas, you'll find all kinds of ideas!

The school that she's teaching at does have a reward system in place.  Students receive stamps on a chart for good behavior, etc.  She has commented that while the kindergarteners really want those stamps (and will change their behavior for them), the older elementary students are far more blase about them.

I'll suggest my daughter search Pinterest to see if something there might work for her.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, my favorite for any age are "First Days of School" and "Teaching with Love and Logic."

I would never tell them this, but the techniques I used for my preschool Sunday School class were just modified a bit for my college classes.  Classroom management is classroom management.

Thanks for this book title, too.  Have you read the first review on the Amazon page?  It's by "A Customer" and is titled Warning to Brand New Teachers.  It's overall a very positive review but one of the reviewer's statements is "Trust me: if your only rules on the wall are from the Love and Logic list, you will be eaten alive."  Would you agree with that, craftyerin?

Regards,

Kareni

I haven't read the Amazon reviews.  We're big fans of Jim Fay and his Love and Logic parenting book, too, and his list of home or classroom rules is intentionally short in both books.  The meat of both books is in his creative and logical enforcement of the rules, though, not the rules themselves.  I was an excellent classroom manager, and Love and Logic's methods felt very natural to me.  I think the book is worth the read.  

On the topic of teaching in Korea:

She's teaching at a hogwan, a private teaching institution. She teaches two groups of kindergarteners for the major part of her day (9:45 to 2:45).  Three afternoons a week, she teaches elementary aged students (1st through 3rd graders) who come to the hogwan after their own school day has finished. The other two afternoons are filled with meetings, lesson preparation, phone calls to students, etc.

One thing that helped was to physically practice all routines (lining up, washing hands, even walking to the cafeteria). If things started getting out of control, we would practice again.

I don't know if her kids have enough understanding of English at this point, but the other thing that really helped was to tell the kids *ahead of time* what your expectations are. So, before going on a field trip or having an assembly, we would talk about what the expectations were for that.

Does she have a "getting attention" signal? I used a chime and also a hand clap pattern (that the kids would repeat) to get the kids attention when they were all talking and we had to shift to listening. It is better than trying to talk over them which can be impossible!

The last piece of advice I have is to build relationships with the kids as much as possible. They will want to listen and follow directions more (plus it makes teaching more rewarding!).

Thank you for all of these suggestions.  I will pass them on.

Your dd has several strikes against her.  Not only is she new and young, she's speaking a language the children don't know well, if at all.  That makes it easy for them to just ignore her.  Is she allowed to use any Korean in class?  If she could tell them her expectations first in Korean, then practice in English, that might help.  Practice any behavior she will expect regularly by giving explicit instructions on how to do it.  It helps to call on kids who are doing what she wants - raising hand, sitting quietly - praising them for it and giving them an opportunity to do the next fun activity.  "I like how Billy is sitting quietly and raising his hand.  Billy, you may come up to greet my puppet, Mr. Bear."  (Cute puppets are a huge hit with this age.) If someone is misbehaving, before correcting him, praise the closest kid who is doing it right and the problem may simply stop.  "I like how Michael is keeping his hands to himself.  Michael, you may take the first turn."  (Joey wants a turn, too, so he stops poking his neighbor.)

She has had a long time interest in Korean and while she formally studied it only her senior year in college, she actually has a good understanding.  She is not allowed to use Korean in class.  Thank you for your suggestions; they look very helpful.

Is it an immersion class? How is her Korean? There is going to be a cultural adjustment required on her part, so as she is working on her classroom management skills, she should check that she doesn't do even little things that are just so odd to the children.

If she is breaking some sort of unwritten rule, she may come across as lazy or a hypocrite to the children, even if she doesn't realize it and they are too young to voice what they are perceiving.

In some cultures, children stand to speak in class--not just raise their hands, or the teacher greets them in a certain way and they return the greeting in a certain way.

You make some very good points about cultural differences.  I'll suggest she ask the native Korean teachers whether she might be doing something culturally insensitive and also suggest she watch them to see how they act with the children.

Thank you all!

Regards,

Kareni

We're big fans of Jim Fay and his Love and Logic parenting book, too, and his list of home or classroom rules is intentionally short in both books.  The meat of both books is in his creative and logical enforcement of the rules, though, not the rules themselves.  I was an excellent classroom manager, and Love and Logic's methods felt very natural to me.  I think the book is worth the read.  

Yes, my favorite for any age are "First Days of School" and "Teaching with Love and Logic."

Thank you.  I see this is also available on Kindle.

I would never tell them this, but the techniques I used for my preschool Sunday School class were just modified a bit for my college classes.  Classroom management is classroom management.

I can well imagine; it's just the size of the students that vary!

Regards,

Kareni

There are a lot of different techniques, rewards systems, points, tickets, "pull a card" type things, but what really made a difference is having an attitude of quiet control. It's in the attitude and demeanor of the teacher. When I walk into a classroom or am in any sort of teaching situation, I am in control. And the kids know it.

This sounds wonderful, but how does one obtain that attitude of quiet control?  Is this something that you acquired as part of your teaching degree or student teaching?  If so, I'm guessing that my daughter's one week of teacher shadowing was insufficient!

... When I subbed (teacher's were often asked to sub on their planning hours), I'd see my kids scattered throughout other classes.  Some classes would come in and be calm and ready to work.  Others (with overlapping rosters) would come in crazy and loud and it would be like the first day of school all over again.  Kids know what they can get away with in each class.  I had hall duty.  I'd hear my kids swearing in other classes, but they never would in mine.  I don't remember many details of what I did, but she shouldn't be afraid to have high expectations.  And, really, high expectations doesn't mean mean or even tough.

From my own school days, I well recall how some teachers demanded our respect from day 1 (in the most polite way possible) and were given it while other teachers we ran over.  Thank you for your statement that she should not be afraid to have high expectations.

Regards,

Kareni

Both "First Days of School" and "Teaching with Love and Logic" are excellent starting points, but if she's teaching in a hagwon, she's going to be dealing with some unique challenges -- not the least of which is the fact that her elementary school students have already put in a full day in their public school classrooms before they ever get to her. Music, movement, games, crafts, and FUN hands-on learning activities are key to reaching and keeping hagwon students. (And while classroom management may be her chief priority, student retention will be her employer's. ...) "Teaching English to Children in Asia" by David Paul (http://www.kimandjohnson.com/shop/book/book-view.jsp?search.unitId=144367) offers some fairly solid strategies for teaching effectively amid the challenges of the private language institute industry. It doesn't appear to be available in Kindle format, but she should be able to find a print copy fairly easily in Korea. (The link I posted is from one of the larger ESOL resource bookstores in Seoul, and they ship throughout the country. The book is also available on Gmarket if she has an account there.)

Here's wishing her all the best. I was also homeschooled from 6th-12th grade and went to South Korea as an English teacher immediately after graduating from college. My first year in the classroom was brutal (mostly because of my employer ...), but I ended up spending the better part of a decade in Korea, meeting and marrying my now-husband there, and conceiving both of our daughters over there. I love being a stay-at-home mom and teaching my own children these days, but a part of my heart stayed behind on in a small town just south of the DMZ. :-)

vickjul,

Thanks for sharing your first hand experiences in South Korea. 

... (And while classroom management may be her chief priority, student retention will be her employer's. ...)

Yes, this has become quite apparent to her already.

"Teaching English to Children in Asia" by David Paul (http://www.kimandjohnson.com/shop/book/book-view.jsp?search.unitId=144367) offers some fairly solid strategies for teaching effectively amid the challenges of the private language institute industry.

Thanks for this recommendation.  I've sent her a copy of your post and this looks like a very pertinent book.

Here's wishing her all the best. I was also homeschooled from 6th-12th grade and went to South Korea as an English teacher immediately after graduating from college. My first year in the classroom was brutal (mostly because of my employer ...), but I ended up spending the better part of a decade in Korea, meeting and marrying my now-husband there, and conceiving both of our daughters over there. I love being a stay-at-home mom and teaching my own children these days, but a part of my heart stayed behind on in a small town just south of the DMZ. :-)

It sounds as though the positive far outweighed that brutal first year.  I can't help but wonder what my daughter's overall experiences will be. 

Thanks again!

Regards,

Kareni

I agree with the Wong book suggestion.

I taught K for several years.  It is difficult and wonderful!  It is a very time consuming job.  She needs classroom routines (see the Wong book for excellent suggestions).  She needs to be over-planned every day.  She needs to be completely prepared down to every last detail before the students arrive.  

And, maybe most of all, she needs to work on developing warm and trusting relationships with her students -- especially those who are disruptive.  

When I first started tutoring large groups of inner city elementary children, I tried a few books and found that the most helpful of the books I was able to find in my local library was "Teach Like a Champion," but that was the only book recommended here that I saw so the others are probably good, I will keep them in mind myself next time I feel settled enough to teach more inner city elentary children. We just moved, so it may be a bit.

She may find my concentration game a fun supplement, she can make it herself from over there.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Also, when the brains are totally dead at the end of tutoring following a full day of school, I have another game. I have 6 to 10 sets of uppercase magnetic letters that you get for $1 a pack. I split them in half and put each set in a Tupperware box. The children line up across the room from the box of letters and scoop them up with one hand and bring them back to their table, each team has a table. After all the letters are scooped up, they start making words for 5 or 10 minutes, they get 1 point per syllable. The team with the most points at the end wins. It gets them moving, so sparks their brain a bit. They enjoy it, too. Sometimes I play several fast games, just a few minutes per game.

Both of these games may be good ESL games.

Thanks for sharing the game ideas, ElizabethB. I will pass them along to my daughter!

Regards,

Kareni

You're welcome. Also, I do not know if she has the option or not, but I found our students learned more if we used the first 15 to 25 minutes of the 2 hours we had them for recess. They also got a 10 minute break with a snack slightly halfway through the instructional time. They got recess until the boys stopped running out their energy and started looking bored, it varied by day and weather and their energy levels.

(This is when we got them right after school. A second class, we did an hour or two after school and had no recess and the same instructional time but less time overall.)

You're welcome. Also, I do not know if she has the option or not, but I found our students learned more if we used the first 15 to 25 minutes of the 2 hours we had them for recess. ...

No, the schedule is very firmly set.  She has her two groups of kindergarteners for 90 minute blocks.  The elementary aged students (who attend after their regular school day) she has for about 45 minutes per group.  What they do before or after their time with her, I don't quite know. 

Regards,

Kareni

No, the schedule is very firmly set. She has her two groups of kindergarteners for 90 minute blocks. The elementary aged students (who attend after their regular school day) she has for about 45 minutes per group. What they do before or after their time with her, I don't quite know.

Regards,

Kareni

If they are not getting a recess right after school, I would add in jog around the room breaks and jumping jack breaks, or learning games with relay races periodically. 35 minutes of math and 10 minutes of running around with all 35 minutes of the math getting to the brain is better than 45 minutes of math that just bounces off the brain because they are toast. (Just using math as an example.)

Of course, she may not even be able to do this, but I would advise trying to up their activity level if they are lacking in recess and exercise. She can try to figure out the proper ratio, you can tell with trial and error, you want to maximize instructional time but making sure it is instruction getting to the brain of the actual child.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Elizabeth B. If these kids are in school already before coming, they need a mental break. 

She might consider using the Total Physical Response technique for teaching English to these kids rather than the formal sit down and read this or repeat after me. 

You know Simon Says with basic English Commands....lots of games to teach the language. 

I am not sure if they are hungry when they come in after a whole day of school but could she ever do cooking in the classroom. 

You know come in with some pizza dough and teach the kids how to make pizza in English or she can make some paper/felt crafts of pizza and name the ingredients and steps to make the pizza. Show a video of American kids eating pizza.

Or even something simpler like celery with peanut butter and raisins. Ants on a log. Typical american snack.

Use lots of props and be very animated and silly. Keep the class attention on her. She will have to be sort of like an entertainer. The spotlight on her at all times.  

In any language acquisition the kids are always silent in the beginning and just absorbing the language. It takes awhile for them to start speaking. 

Have her check out Total Physical Response and Total Physical Response Story Telling. 

I know nothing about teaching in a classroom, but I do know that children very much sense the teacher's attitude toward them. My son had a second grade teacher that he and I both adored. She loved them, plain and simple. She never raised her voice, she treated them like human beings and they tried SO hard to please her. Definitely the best-behaved class in the school and one of the largest, too. She called them "friends" when she was trying to get their attention, and she allowed them to talk quietly while they worked. She had them take turns sweeping the floor during their break in the afternoon. She also closed the door, sat in a big rocking chair, had them sit whereever they wanted (but she had a big floor rug where most of them chose to sit) and read to them for a long time each day.

Fond memories.

Keeping children that age engaged is very important. When kindergarteners are out of control it is not usually because they are being bad. You need to have frequent movement from tables to carpet etc, never too long in one place. Effective transitions are critical and you need to spell out exactly HOW to move from table to carpet and practice. That age requires tremendous repetition for all of that. Praise kids who cooperate, invite those who don't. Singing directions is very effective for this age. Use a specific song for a specific transition-- such as "meet me on the rug right now right now will you meet me on the rug right now?" Keep things cheerful and happy. You set the tone that THIS is what is happening and anyone not following along will be missing out on something fun. You can also get compliance by saying " I am going to pick someone whose bottom is flat, hands t

Whoops---

Hands together, lips quie etc. most classroom management has little to do with an actual system and a lot to do with a teacher's confidence and expectation that what is supposed to happen and will happen. Gently guide children who are off task and don't let a behavior to un-managed once or you will see it again.

I recommend she try to find some videos on YouTube of kindergarten and first grade teachers demonstrating effective techniques. Far more can be learned through focused observation than reading alone. There is a pacing and rhythm observable in effective teachers that is missed via reading. Primary grades are a different bird as well, especially at the beginning of the year which can feel like herding cats to even the most seasoned teachers. Advice in teaching books is often intended for a broader audience.

Primary grades are a different bird as well, especially at the beginning of the year which can feel like herding cats to even the most seasoned teachers.

I think she knows that 'herding cats' feeling quite well now!

I recommend she try to find some videos on YouTube of kindergarten and first grade teachers demonstrating effective techniques. Far more can be learned through focused observation than reading alone.

This sounds like a great idea.  Can you suggest any key words under which to search?

Regards,

Kareni

I'd search in google not YouTube. Use terms like classroom management, discipline, primary grades, kindergarten, first grade, YouTube, video,

Another good search is whole brain teaching bc it is pretty active

There is also a discipline board here

http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=20

http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=156