Menu

-

alisoncooks

You're a braver woman than I!   ;)

I took along young kiddos a couple of times, but that's because I went to a very small clinic and knew the receptionist would allow me to leave them with her for the actual exam.  

Maybe call ahead and ask.

With the ages of your kids, can they sit outside the door in the hallway?  Or could you get the receptionist to keep an eye on them in the waiting room if you think they would be okay? Is there a teen homeschooler, maybe 10-12 years old who could tag along and sit with them i nthe reception area?

I took (and still take) my dc EVERYwhere w/ me, but I did always find a way to not have them in the room at the gyno.

Your dc are an impressionable age-too old to let things get past them, but too young to really be able to explain.

I would call first-it sounds like the type of place they could wait in the waiting room, or just outside the door. Bring something they like to do, and a lollipop they can suck on for the time you're actually in there (yes, I am not too proud to bribe when necessary like that!) I also like the idea of bringing a young teen hs'er along to sit w/ them-take them for ice cream after as a thank you.

Mine waited in the waiting room at ages 9, 7, an 6 for all of my prenatal appts.  They had bags of coloring books/crayons/etc...to occupy themselves.

They could stay with you for all but the actual exam part.  It's usually the waiting that takes so long. The actual exam is like 10min.

When I have had to take my kids to an OB appointment where they needed to do an internal, they have always offered for a nurse to keep an eye on them outside the door (in the hall). If they are well behaved I would have no problem leaving them outside the door by themselves because you can hear through the door at my OB's. I'm sure you could find a nurse to keep an eye on them for 5 minutes

All they gyn offices I have ever used had a no child policy.  Not saying I agree with it or that it is the best option, just saying I have never had the experience of being able to take kiddos to the office.  Nursing babies were welcome at first post delivery appt but that was it. 

I have always had to bring all 4 of my kids with me.  When they were younger they stayed up near my head so they wouldn't see anything.  When they got old enough to know what was happening, the nurse at the desk would graciously watch them in the waiting room for me.  I still can't leave ds14 unsupervised but he is way to old to come in with me, so I usually point out to the nurse who he is, that he is special needs and while he should be okay could she please keep an eye on him.  The other 3 are fine waiting now without me.  I did this when I had an obgyn for my pregnancies and at my gp where I usually go for my annual check up.  My gp retired almost 2 years ago, he delivered me, so he and his staff had no issue helping me like that, there was a long standing history and they knew thefamily and dynamic.  The new gp I was referred to when mine retired (same clinic) I had to explain a little more with but they have also been great.  I drive 2 hours to see my gp I can't leave the kids home and must bring them with me, so they have been good to work with me.

One other option I've used when kids are young enough they can't wait in the waiting room, yet old enough I didn't want them listening to private/sensitive info that I was discussing with the doctor was to have them bring a smartphone, ds, tablet, or mp3 player WITH HEADPHONES. Works like a charm.

I am really surprised by some of these answers. I have never encountered an ob/gyn that had a "no child policy." I wouldn't know what to do with that. I guess I'd have to find a new ob/gyn.

I have always brought my kids. They were 2, 5, and 8 when my last baby was born. I don't have family or a babysitter to watch them, so they go where I go. I've always encountered other mothers with children at the offices as well. Presumably, they have the same situation.

I have definitely employed the use of technology for distraction when possible. They also would bring something to color or play with if desired. If really needed, I would have my husband take the day off to watch them, so that I could go alone. (Like for a first appointment...)

When I was going to OB appts last year ds9 either waited in the lobby, the hall, or occasionally went in the room with me.  He liked to hear his brother's heartbeat, and if there was an internal exam he sat in the little changing area and read his book.  All the rooms have the little changing alcove though, so there was an easy place for him to go.

I've had littles up to age 6 go back with me. When the time came for a private conversation with the doctor a nurse stood outside the door with my son. When the time came for the physical exam the nurse and my child came back in the room but my son stayed on the other side of the curtain so he couldn't see anything. It wasn't a big deal.

Have them wait in the hallway or  waiting room with an electronic device (LOL, those are made for Dr. appts!).  I have to take the girls with me to my psych. all the time and they hang out in the waiting room and the receptionist keeps a little eye  on them.  As long as they're well-behaved, it should be fine.  

I once spent four hours at the gyn (most of it waiting) while accompanied by my then 8 and 10 year old sons.  I took plenty of electronics to keep them occupied and left them in the waiting room for the exam and sonogram process.  (I was not pg so it was an internal sono...yeah.)  They never saw the inside of the exam room.  I am fortunate that they can be trusted to behave while I was in the exam room.    Then, when I had to return for more testing and such and that time had my then 5 year old dd with me, I just kept her with me and explained what was happening to her.  I spoke with the doctor (no exam that time), but I did have another internal sonogram, and dd stood in one corner of the room and watched my "insides" on the monitor.  It was really a non issue, and she reported it as interesting.  If I needed to discuss depression or some personal topic, I would have asked for dd to step outside the room for a bit.  I put dd in the room while the nurse was weighing me so she didn't get to have this piece of knowledge.

It is not fun to take littles to the gyn with you, but I have done it so much, and it has always worked out fine, even when I was very pg with baby #3 and took the other two with me (ages 7 and 2 at the time) and the two year old systematically tore my paper "blanket" into strips to the point that I was wearing the equivalent of a miniskirt at 8 months pg while discussing breech baby delivery options with my doctor.  Yeah.  You know, after all that, nothing really phases me.