Menu

I need a new phonics program before I lose my mind

Janie Grace

I have taught three kids to read using the same stuff... Phonics Pathways, Bob Books, Sonlight stuff (I Can Read It, etc). I am on kid #4 and I just. can't. do. it. again. I know that teaching reading isn't the most thrilling activity (for most) but I feel like some new materials would help me be excited about it. The kid who needs to learn is a very bright 6yo who, for whatever reason, is ambivalent about learning to read (and nuts about math). He's very visual; enjoys art and humor and good stories and music.

I also have OPG but for some reason, it doesn't grab me. Have you used something to teach your kids that you really enjoyed? Not costing a fortune would be a nice plus, too. TIA!

My youngest was stubborn about not reading because I wanted her too.  LOL  Then, when I stopped caring, she wanted to learn.  Not suggesting that, but boy do I get the frustration.

We switched to All About Reading and boy has it been a blessing.  She loves it and can't wait to do reading!  :)  She has really taken off (she's 6) and I feel so much better and happy I purchased this curriculum.  Having older siblings she was really into having her own books to read, but the BOB books weren't her thing.  LOL  She has "chapter" books in AAR.  (Each chapter is a different story but it is a chapter....so it makes her happy.)

It may seem expensive ($99 for level 1 plus $30 for the interactive kit you buy just one time).  But, I figured reading was critical and was willing to spend that money there.  http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/All-About-Reading/All-About-Reading-Level-1/

Good luck.

Spalding. :-) The one-time costs are the manual (Writing Road to Reading, less than $20) and a set of phonogram cards (also less than $20). You could get the Spelling Assessment Manual, also less than $20.

I'm so predictable, lol.

The Reading Lesson or (TRL) and maybe as a supplement something like the Now I'm Reading or (NIR) Readers by Nora Gyados?

Since you have the Bob Books you probably don't need the NIR, but I think that the NIR are nicer, more colorful and entertaining than Bob Books, personally and you may enjoy the change of scenery.

The parenthesis are the Amazon links for the same products.

Primary Arts of Language from IEW - my youngest son really enjoyed the file folder games that went along with each lesson. He needed the visual/kinesthetic and the combination of phonics and sight learning was magic for him.

All I can say is Mrs Walker's First grade Phonics-Reading-Spelling-Handwriting BJU Distance Learning (via DVD) class was awesome. She smiled every. single. time. the lesson had to be replayed. 

I self taught the first 25%, and she taught the next 75% - and we were able to move faster because she they drilled so much (DD couldn't do more than a lesson every 2 days with me with her then undiagnosed learning disabilities).

Anyway, here is hoping you find THE program!!!!

I felt the same way. PP worked well with first two kids, but I'm bored.

I'm using Bear Necessities with my third and enjoying it. My MIL (reading teacher) raved about it when she saw it. At $25, it is pretty reasonable.

Try the Animal Antics series by Nora Gaydos instead of Bob Books. They have Bob Books beaten hands down.

Emily

Guest OwlMamma

My kids are so old I can barely remember teaching them to read.  But, I do remember that my oldest, who is very bright in math, really didn't read until he was eight!  Not very helpful perhaps, but maybe you could take some pressure off and enjoy the time just reading to him and then start again when he seems interested.

Primary Arts of Language from IEW - my youngest son really enjoyed the file folder games that went along with each lesson. He needed the visual/kinesthetic and the combination of phonics and sight learning was magic for him.

I know a couple of families using this with younger kids who just love it.

I'll throw in Progressive Phonics, which is free.  Back when we used it, it was pretty limited, but it has a lot to it now.

I remember reading somewhere that teaching reading is only interesting once.  Yep.  I could see that.

If you already have OPGTR, why not give it a try. I wasn't in love with it when I first got it either, but the lessons are short and sweet and do a good job. I also liked the fact that there are no pictures so there is no guessing. Just when it seems to get a bit old, there is a game or fun enrichment activity. I am on my second kid using it. Good luck with whatever you choose!

We went through nearly every program out there for my oldest b/f landing on Dancing Bears.

But I wanted something more traditional (and fun!) for my youngest this coming year, so we went with McRuffy.  Some of it has arrived & I think it looks pretty great!

But PP is solid.  What if you just added something new & fun to it?  We downloaded a ton of fun (and some free) phonics games/activity sheets from Pinterest/TeachersPayTeachers/TeachersNotebook.  Maybe you can just add some new stuff to liven it up?

We like Logic of English (I started on Reading Reflex and then switched to LOE once we got past the CVCC words).  But it doesn't meet your "not costing a fortune" criteria.

Spalding would be my choice for a low-cost alternative, although having read the book, I had a hard time wrapping my brain around its implementation.

The Pollard series is cute and free online, it has songs and fun pictures. I own the actual books, the first book for little folk is the one to get, you can usually find it cheap through Alibris or ABE books.

The manual is also free online and you should not need to buy that, it should be fine to use electronically. They are linked from my list of good phonics books, about 1/3 of the way down:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/phonicsandspelli.html

Word Mastery free online, linked from Don Potter's page, is another option, not quite as fun but nice.

For books that are far more interesting (and thorough) than the Bob Books, I recommend the "I See Sam" books.  They are available at:

www.iseesam.com

or www.3rsplus.com

There are several previous threads on this series.

For a program, per se, the Abecedarian program is both effective and very affordable.  www.abcdrp.com  There is a downloadable placement assessment and there are samples of the program on the website.

Another vote for The Reading Lesson!

We are using just the book ($25), not the CD. It's simple, effective, complete, and my kids think it's fun.

I get the boredom :). My oldest learned to read using Adventures In Phonics, which was actually very effective...but I could never use it again, lol. It was soooo boring. I had to find something else. Enter TRL.

Hope you find something that works for you both!

• 1 month later...

What would you like to know? :-)

How does it teach reading?

Nico enjoys asking how to spell words, and then trying to write them on our white board (that is how he's learned to read the few words he can read with fluency) - I'm hoping for a phonics program that uses spelling to help teach reading, since he seems to enjoy spelling and writing, and I thought I had read somewhere that WRTR did that?

I think we learned the first 45 phonograms then started the spelling list (this was just last year but it's a little hazy). I love, love, love the spelling rules! My first grader can now read anything, and we started off the year last year not able to read at all. I think knowing those rules really helped him become a fluent reader. Of course, he's the one and only person I've ever taught to read, so maybe all programs work that way :).

A vote for All About Reading.  My son would choose to just go through the Explode the Code books if it were all up to him.  I think they're a fine choice for a bright kid, I just don't want to have to round up practice reading for what we're learning as we go through those books.  Thus, AAR.

How does it teach reading?

Nico enjoys asking how to spell words, and then trying to write them on our white board (that is how he's learned to read the few words he can read with fluency) - I'm hoping for a phonics program that uses spelling to help teach reading, since he seems to enjoy spelling and writing, and I thought I had read somewhere that WRTR did that?

Spalding does it (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual). But it isn't a phonics program that uses spelling; it's a spelling program that teaches children to read. Children begin by learning to write the single-letter phonograms and their sounds simultaneously, followed by multi-letter phonograms and their sounds; then by learning to write and analyze the words in the spelling list, which are the most-often occurring words in English. Reading happens almost without effort. :-)

Spalding does it (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual). But it isn't a phonics program that uses spelling; it's a spelling program that teaches children to read. Children begin by learning to write the single-letter phonograms and their sounds simultaneously, followed by multi-letter phonograms and their sounds; then by learning to write and analyze the words in the spelling list, which are the most-often occurring words in English. Reading happens almost without effort. :-)

And it doesn't hurt to start when he already has some phonics under his belt? Just asking because I've seen a couple reviews of spin offs that say it needs to be "start to finish".

Also, what do I need to buy - just the WRTR manual?

And it doesn't hurt to start when he already has some phonics under his belt? Just asking because I've seen a couple reviews of spin offs that say it needs to be "start to finish".

Also, what do I need to buy - just the WRTR manual?

Naw, you can start anywhere. He'll have some re-learning to do, but if you are consistent, he'll do just fine. :-)

To teach Spalding, you need the manual (and you don't have to say "WRTR manual"...WRTR *is* the manual) and a set of phonogram cards. It doesn't matter which edition of the manual you get, although *I* am more familiar with the fourth so it's easier for me to answer questions, but all of the editions are fine. And if you get a fourth edition, you'll want to try to get the fourth edition phonogram cards. If you can't, get the current ones from Spalding Education International; there are only a couple of very slight differences. The Spelling Assessment Manual has some helpful stuff in it, but it is optional.

Just do what you're familiar with.  I had the same feelings with child #3 - I just didn't want to do the same thing again.  She also loves to sing and loves math more than reading.  What happened was that I bought AAR #1 and sold it before finishing because I still felt like what I did before worked well enough and I knew how to do it.  I knew AAR was going to get expensive to use because what my one book (Alpha Phonics) did in one book that I already owned, AAR needed 3 (?) levels.  So, my daughter is almost finished with Alpha Phonics and it wasn't too bad considering that I really didn't want to do it all over again.  Teaching phonics is just like potty training.  Sometimes, you just have to grit your teeth and do it.  The grass isn't greener, the landscaping is just different. :closedeyes:

Beth

Some great books to teach phonics....Spelling Through Phonics by McCracken and A Sound Track to Reading. Gives the information and you teach it. Great resource to have. A Sound Foundation publishes the Dancing Bears and Apples and Pears and they're excellent too.

For independent practice you could use Merrill Phonics, Phonics We Use, or Phonics Plus.

I found an old SRA copy of books but AAR and AAS was my close second.

I was trained as a reading teaching and phonics was my specialty so ask any question you like!

• 3 months later...