Menu

Let's Organize our HS rooms!

I need your cutlery thingy - how long ago did you buy it?!?!?! LOL!

Now I shall go look at the rest - you got me sidetracked with the first picture!

Day before yesterday? VERY recently.  They had other colors, too.  :thumbup1:

OK, and the bins you are using in the top row with the nifty chalkboard labels (i'm buying a can to paint some nice shoe boxes I have in the craft closet!). They looks perfect for the cubes to be divided in half!! I need those!!!

The clear bins are these, from Target http://www.target.com/p/itso-clear-see-through-bin-6-12-x13-25-x6-56/-/A-13710865 and I bought the labels at Michaels in the wedding section.  They are these: http://www.gartnerstudios.com/shop/bridesr-ornate-chalk-board-stickers.html I'm very happy with them!!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day before yesterday? VERY recently.  They had other colors, too.  :thumbup1:

The clear bins are these, from Target http://www.target.com/p/itso-clear-see-through-bin-6-12-x13-25-x6-56/-/A-13710865 and I bought the labels at Michaels in the wedding section.  They are these: http://www.gartnerstudios.com/shop/bridesr-ornate-chalk-board-stickers.html I'm very happy with them!!

You can also get the chalkboard labels in the Martha Stewart section at Staples. :)

Looking good everyone!!! I am impressed with all the headway people are making!

My school room is looking better! Of course, I moved about 40 books/binders/paper piles/ etc into the living room to sort while watching t.v. (DH is soooo happy...not) and that will take a while.  We are having a carpenter come in soon (within the next couple of weeks) to box in the washer dryer, which is IN the school room, into a sort of closet with sliding doors. I am going to have him build shelves above the washer dryer unit so I can store all of our "not in use" stuff, so it will be accessible but not visual clutter. I am really excited for that, because right now the "back" of our room is just a cement wall that is really ugly.

I'm going to take a "before" (more like half way organised because I didn't think to take a pic way back when lol) pics tomorrow and then the "after" when I am done. My schoolroom started as my sewing room but had to become a shared room when I started HSing DD. I have organised the room about 6 times since I started HSing and my 2 have had 2 different types of desks :D. I made a big change nearly a month ago and it has been going well.

I'll give myself until the end of the week tohave the room done and I'll post pics then.

Okay, let's see if I can get some pics attached.

774.JPG?gl=US

Here are the filing cabinets next to the couch that I mentioned in a previous post.

775.JPG?gl=US

My pride and joy: the bookshelves we put in last winter. Everything has been recently culled and organized so no work to do there!

781.JPG?gl=US

Here's the coat closet I just emptied. Any ideas on how to make this organized and storage-friendly for school? I'm thinking about modular drawers and a wall-mount dispenser for big rolls of paper. It's not very big, about 50" wide and 19" deep.

778.JPG?gl=US

The dining room where we do school. I posted about the corner above the pellet stove some time ago. I decided to hang these super cute alphabet cards from eeboo. Not sure if I like them there or not, but I don't have a lot of other places to hang them. :)

784.JPG?gl=US

The whole room from the other side. It works great for homeschooling. My only gripe is that it faces north.

(Sorry these pics are so big. Does anyone else use Picasa web albums and can give some pointers? :p)

I adore your space....especially wee baby sitting in the swing

I know I have to tackle my desk and that dang laundry basket I filled with random stuff last spring.  I don't want to.  The week after next is TKD camp for all of my kids which leaves me with four hours of freedom for four days (a few of which I will have lunch with my husband).  The next week we start.  I don't have a clue where to begin organizing our work load and day because my daughter is officially in high school now.  I have read so many books about how to plan a day with multiple students but none of it comes back to me when I need it the most. 

I am in....reluctantly.  I will be back with a picture or two.  My book shelves are in the basement and the kids have desks in their rooms this year so you will get my newly organized desk......we rearranged two weeks ago to move the piano to the other side of the family room.  We will get the work does even if my arrangement isn't perfect, right?

The kids and I have been sorting thru the stuff that came out of the craft/crap/schoolroom today....

I've found 3 things that I have been seeking - my Uncle Josh Map CD, my History Odyssey 1 guide (like, the first version they made!), and my DVD burner!!!!!! (Now to find the power brick for it - here is hoping it is on the floor behind the desk where it was supposed to be sitting). 

We've filled 4 garbage bags and still probably have the most garbage producing stuff left! So I have a bit of my living room back, a stack of 3rd grade stuff to use for DD, and various other stuff to sort and sell/donate/trash.

Progress. Now dinner!

Well, today I spiral bound a bunch of fun workbooks for the kids, and i want to bind MM 4th grade tonight. I didn't tackle more of the "redesign" of the homeschool room, but I did fill a giant garbage bag with stuff, and filed last year's work away in a banker's box. I also sold a bunch of stuff here and via a local group, so I made a little money!

Well, today I spiral bound a bunch of fun workbooks for the kids, and i want to bind MM 4th grade tonight. 

Random MM question for you, Halcyon.  Do you print color or b&w? I'm planning to do MM1 when we finish SM Essentials, and I can't decide how I want to do it! 

Ok, ,I've been lurking on this thread, getting inspiration and motivation.  The time has come!  The Daddy and the kids are going to Grandma's house tonight, and it's just the twinkies and me here tonight and tomorrow.  *cracks knuckles*  I can do this...

Random MM question for you, Halcyon.  Do you print color or b&w? I'm planning to do MM1 when we finish SM Essentials, and I can't decide how I want to do it! 

I printed in B&W the first time because I was about out of yellow ink, and I couldn't afford to replace it. Now that I bought a bunch of generic ink - i'm going to just do it in color on draft. I think it is fine in B&W, but better in color. I think.

But, I did go to Target! I skipped the utensil caddy for now - i'll think about it until the end of the week and see how much $$ I have left this week. I think i'm going with the galvanized one and they had a bunch of those. I did snag 3 teal Itso bins though since they were cheaper than the clear.

And glue sticks. And the 25 cent boxes at Staples - sent the kids in for their 2 too! :p

Random MM question for you, Halcyon. Do you print color or b&w? I'm planning to do MM1 when we finish SM Essentials, and I can't decide how I want to do it!

We print it our home laser printer in black and white. I have seen it in color, though, and it's pretty!!

Hubby wanted to get the pencil eraser caps at Office Depot yesterday. Told him we still have plenty at home. Today my younger counted 108 pencil eraser caps. I'm going to ask my kids non-profit german school what donation they need for school supplies. I still have too big a stockpile of crayons and markers.

Hubby wanted to get the pencil eraser caps at Office Depot yesterday. Told him we still have plenty at home. Today my younger counted 108 pencil eraser caps. I'm going to ask my kids non-profit german school what donation they need for school supplies. I still have too big a stockpile of crayons and markers.

Apparently someone stole the big tub of crayons at our library in the last couple of weeks! 

Y'all inspired me to organize all our books!! I am very pleased with how they turned out. I made all the books perfect and my 3 year old messed up my straight line of book edges right away. But...since all the books in her interest level are in one central location she has been bringing me book after book to read to her. So I will have to chill since the purpose of books is to read them, ha!

Oh, and I found an overdue (by months!) library book so that is a huge relief. It was on my daughter's shelf in her room...probably right were I put it. Oh well, it is on her card, hehe.

I still owe a fine for some Barbie book.... i'm not paying it, that child can! She put it on the shelf in hopes we wouldn't return it!!! (she was probably 4 at the time! :p ) 

Your room looks amazing! I actually love the orange, but I understand wanting to tone it down a bit. Great job!

I agree, I like the orange in her room too!

Our soon to be schoolroom is also an orange shade. I wasn't sure what to think of it, but after seeing these pictures I think we may actually leave it. I believe our room is pretty light-filled, so it doesn't seem too dark. At least it doesn't seem dark in my memory. Maybe once we're actually using it. . .

Where was this thread and photos a month ago when I really needed it?! 

I just finished our space this past week and ended up pretty happy with how it looks so far. The entire downstairs will be painted (hopefully soon) and that horrible orange color will be gone, but for now I am loving the changes.

You can see the before here.

And the after here.

My biggest step was a purge. If we weren't using it, didn't love it, or it no longer matches the philosophy then it is gone. I managed to get everything in that Expedit and three small cabinets in the living room next door. The art supplies have their own cabinet upstairs and that will have to be OK. The big challenge will be keeping everything pared to this amount.

Someone asked about integrating the school space into the living space -- this is right in the middle of ours. The first thing I did was embrace the school space. Once I did that and stopped working so hard to minimize it (i.e. have a few things in the dining room) I think it actually looks better. Of course I was lucky because DH is fine with however it looks, and we have another place for us all to eat.

Of course right after I took all of these photos I moved all of my partial projects back to the table top. Once we begin next week my goal will be to have a clean table each evening, but I admit that it has not been that way during planning.

I probably should have included which orange room I was talking about in my previous post. 

How's it going for everyone? Today I bought a new rug, replacing the one i bought last week  :tongue_smilie:  I am returning that one tomorrow. This one is super soft so the boys will love lying on it and reading. I have purged my shelves A LOT, and am bringing about 40 books that I couldn't give away to the library tomorrow. I bound all my "extra" fun workbooks (logic, science reading, science detective) together in one big proclick book for each child, so I don't have 10 random books lying around that never get used. I am making a shelf for "books to read this year" and putting the rest in the closet so i don't feel guilty. I am going to make a list of the order I want to read them, and note which ones are on Audible, Kindle or paper books so that they are easy to find. 

Carpenter is coming next week to build more shelves in school room--so psyched. 

Post how you're doing!

I purged more junk/trash from the living room, and i think i'm about done except for one box. I ended up with a plastic tote of stuff that I need to sort thru, a box of shredding, and feel less stress about getting the stuff all back there that is for keeps. Once that is done tomorrow or Saturday - then I attack the project table so I can get my stuff printed and such.

There is more to do back in the old school room that involves moving a bookcase from out here, and moving stuff around back there - but I can't do it myself and the strong person is out of town until.... who knows at this point. :(

I added A LOT to my "for sale" stack, so I need to sort that out and get stuff posted. 

I've had a really rough week on a variety of fronts and it greatly impacted by productivity. 

Oh, and the phone just rang and I am apparently babysitting tomorrow afternoon.... ok, then I guess it is time to go to bed so I can attack it - I'm about ready to fall asleep! :D

Picture time!  This is not the finished state, I would LOVE some art work or a timeline on the wall.  But it's a work in progress.  The room is our schoolroom/playroom.  The plan is to do school, play, and have snack time down here from 9-12.  If I go upstairs at all, I am totally derailed.  Cleaning, computer, etc call to me, and we're derailed.

Here are the photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114445514828447075723/Schoolroom?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJLy4biPlMig5gE&feat=directlink

We do own more books, they are just on other shelves in other rooms.  :)   I try to keep the school room down to the essentials.

Picture time! This is not the finished state, I would LOVE some art work or a timeline on the wall. But it's a work in progress. The room is our schoolroom/playroom. The plan is to do school, play, and have snack time down here from 9-12. If I go upstairs at all, I am totally derailed. Cleaning, computer, etc call to me, and we're derailed.

Here are the photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114445514828447075723/Schoolroom?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJLy4biPlMig5gE&feat=directlink

We do own more books, they are just on other shelves in other rooms. :) I try to keep the school room down to the essentials.

This looks amazing,!! So "empty" (in a good way) and serene looking!! I love it.

Dh got the things up on the wall that I needed him to hang, so I will take photos today also!

Thanks guys! I have a light and small chrome book for my personal laptop. It is only slightly larger than a tablet, so it just follows me around the house and doesn't have a designated place. I'll leave it on the book shelf and pull it out when we play games or watch clips online. The printer is in the office, the door is kept locked because the little kids will mess with it!

Halcyon, Can't wait to see pictures!

Picture time!  This is not the finished state, I would LOVE some art work or a timeline on the wall.  But it's a work in progress.  The room is our schoolroom/playroom.  The plan is to do school, play, and have snack time down here from 9-12.  If I go upstairs at all, I am totally derailed.  Cleaning, computer, etc call to me, and we're derailed.

Here are the photos:

We do own more books, they are just on other shelves in other rooms.   :)   I try to keep the school room down to the essentials.

I love this!  It looks perfect for the ages of your DC!  I really need to set up a "playroom" area in ours, but I'm not sure we have the room.   We also keep our schoolroom books to the minimum and keep the rest in the office.  

Apparently, the secret to getting this stuff done is camp.  :p

So where can I send the kids.......

The boys will be 13 next summer and this is the first I've considered sleep away camp. They've done a day camp for years but I always help so no break for me. After the Jerry Sandusky muck, I could not even consider any activity that took place away from my watchful eye. I'm thinking that they are of the age/responsibility level now that IF, heaven forbid, anything untoward happened they would know enough to tell someone. Still have to pray about this one and of course save up the funds for it. But, having time during the day to plan and organize for school and time in the evenings for a little R&R for dh and I sounds really good!!

Speaking of camp.... my 9yo was watching some youtubes on gymnastics last night - and there were some at a gym camp.

She was all into going until....

Her: You mean I'd have to sleep there?

Me: Yes

Her: With strange people?

Me: Yes, but I'm sure the are nice.

Her: No thank you!

Me: But you could be in the gym "all day"

Her: ....thinking...... YES!!!

Her: But the cafeteria food might not be good (they flashed to that on the video), so nope, not going.

There was more - she was actually pretty funny about it! The pool almost had her wanting to go again - but the sleeping with strange people part I think was her main "no go" ;)

Oh, and the food.... 2.5 years of PS lunches ruined that for her! :lol:

Anyway..... things are progressing here. Life keeps interrupting. You can see the top of the project table though. I'm working at making sure when something get puts away, it actually has a home. Which is making it harder because I'm trying to really really THINK about what I keep and where. I suck at this part - but I'm determined to not just shove everything back into there without a home.

Today I need to get the stuff out of my teacher end of the expedit that really should be in the "for sale" pile. 

(ETA: I have a friend that lives near the camp - if it ever came to be I'd actually stay there and watch her kids for the week and be close to mine. Affording a week of gym camp??? HAHAHAHAHA!)

So, I can:

1) spend lots of money on a wall which may or may not function well.

2) nag Dh to put a large shower board up that would cover most of the magnetic paint I put up.

3) put up my old whiteboards (or spring for new ones) which would be cheap, easy for me to do myself, and leave large swathes of magnetic wall exposed.

Number three seems like it would make the most sense, but it isn't what I wanted.

Could you put up a thin layer of clear plastic over the magnetic paint wall?  Maybe as thin as one side of a page protector, if that exists somehow?  Then you'd have magnetic white board. Or is the magnetic paint not strong enough? 

I had my dh put a piece of sheet metal on one wall and put a laminated map over it so we have a magnetic, dry erase map. Love it.  But putting up a piece of sheet metal is pretty extreme. :)

Thoughts on computers/laptops?

Where do you keep yours? Do you have a specific desk or just use the laptop in different locations? Do you put laptops away when not in use?

Trying to rethink how we use our room. . .

Love the pics and great ideas so far!

I have a desktop in the corner of the room. We received it from my father for the boys' birthday gift-i wish we had received a laptop, in hindsight (he did ask what they would prefer) but i was concerned that it would migrate all over the house and be used more often than it should.

Thoughts on computers/laptops?

Where do you keep yours? Do you have a specific desk or just use the laptop in different locations? Do you put laptops away when not in use?

My older has a desktop at his study desk, my younger has a laptop at his study desk.  Those are theirs and they store their projects there.   There is also two common use laptops which are spares and stacked up when not in use.  Their iPads are stacked up on the bedroom toy chest when not in use.

My older has a desktop at his study desk, my younger has a laptop at his study desk.  Those are theirs and they store their projects there.   There is also two common use laptops which are spares and stacked up when not in use.  Their iPads are stacked up on the bedroom toy chest when not in use.

Are their desks large? Do they have plenty of space to do math and other written work without the computer being in the way?

Are their desks large? Do they have plenty of space to do math and other written work without the computer being in the way?

They just de-cluttered their desk so it is possible for them to do math or other written work now without the computer being in the way. This is what they have for study desk http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09903014/

For my older, the desktop tower is sitting on the carpet. His desk has the LCD monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse so the footprint is small. My younger's laptop is currently at his desk but I can move it to below his desk (on top of the base speakers) and just leave the monitor, keyboard and mouse at his desk.

We put the wire mesh magazine holders on the top shelf to hold their workbooks.

ETA:

I can take a photo tomorrow (ETA: photos in post #261). Now their soft toys are holding court.

They did school work at those desks for the past two years (2011/12 and 2012/13).

Not Arcadia, but ours is. We used to use the coffee table, then I bought a small desk and now both are in the garage. So glad I switched when DS started doing more things online. It is a huge difference to have the space! He can use the laptop, have a math textbook there, a notebook, calculator, compass and still have wiggle room for a paperback he's reading, a dictionary and a physics textbook, folder/ stationery holder, pencil sharpener, water bottle etc. I bought a Campaign desk when it was on sale and received a discount on top of that because it has some scratches on the surface.

Photos. One shows the desk, the 2nd shows with keyboard on desk, the 3rd shows with keyboard put away. I just put random books on the desk to show size.

post-59322-0-36098800-1375200091_thumb.jpg

post-59322-0-49720600-1375200103_thumb.jpg

post-59322-0-47991700-1375200117_thumb.jpg

I had never thought of using something like the Campaign desk before. I will add it to the list of possibilities. Thank you!

My pleasure. It is huge, you can share it with your DD if needed. I wouldn't recommend it or another long-ish desk like it for a small space though. We had to move our couch in order to fit it in! :crying: I miss our couch...but the need for desk space was higher. One more thing I'm finding as I'm growing older is that I need a desk too. I've always made do with the coffee table or balancing things on my lap or using an ottoman and that is affecting my posture. So one more plug for a larger desk right there. Good luck with your decision Woodland Mist!

My pleasure. It is huge, you can share it with your DD if needed. I wouldn't recommend it or another long-ish desk like it for a small space though. We had to move our couch in order to fit it in! :crying: I miss our couch...but the need for desk space was higher. One more thing I'm finding as I'm growing older is that I need a desk too. I've always made do with the coffee table or balancing things on my lap or using an ottoman and that is affecting my posture. So one more plug for a larger desk right there. Good luck with your decision Woodland Mist!

Oh is this so, so true.  No more hunching over the coffee table. 

I just sharpened about 40 pencils in anticipation of our start next week. We have completed SOME Math and Reading this summer but not consistently..Just enough to not forget what we have learned thus far :) I also went through all my teachers manuals and marked our place to start next week. (Why is it that they all disappear and I end up thumbing through my guides and manuals daily trying to find my spot?)

My family does utilize our living room/dining room/kitchen as our homeschooling area. I have also added a buffet cabinet at our foyer area plus converted our coat closet (because peeps living in GA don't truly need coat closets :p ) into our supply/filing closet. I will post pictures later to show how we have been able to make it work for us. 

I'm sniffing markers today, that is my contribution to getting organized lol.  I bought mr sketch markers for the kids to use when we start up and I am smelling them and reminsing about when I was a kid in school and the last 7 years of homeschooling.  I usually only buy 1 package at the start of each year, once tehy are gone they are gone, after that it is regular crayola markers for them, so the smells of these markers have good memories and make me think of fresh starts and new beginnings.

I'm sniffing markers today, that is my contribution to getting organized lol.  I bought mr sketch markers for the kids to use when we start up and I am smelling them and reminsing about when I was a kid in school and the last 7 years of homeschooling.  I usually only buy 1 package at the start of each year, once tehy are gone they are gone, after that it is regular crayola markers for them, so the smells of these markers have good memories and make me think of fresh starts and new beginnings.

Awwwww, that is awesome!!

My contribution today is that I completed DDs final enrollment in Connections and did the learning coach orientation.... like an hour and a half I won't get back today!

Oh, and I thought I was out of crayons in my stash - only to discover I had 5 boxes!! :D