Menu

Let's Organize our HS rooms!

Apparently, the secret to getting this stuff done is camp.  :p

So where can I send the kids.......

:lol: I think I am missing this fundamental element as well...

Phooey.

My boys just had WWIII about who had more sofa cushions while making forts in the living room. I am supposed to be planning. They were supposed to be happily forting up the joint and, most importantly, not needing me. Now the living room is a mess and I need chocolate! Boooooo!!

Camp next year does sound good...

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could afford a week of camp - I guess I will do like all the other parents in the area and use the library as camp (they love my kids there actually, even had a birthday party for them last week! LOL!!). I could technically drop them off there at 9, and pick them up at closing...

I can say that I did just list some stuff to sell and so that is an accomplishment!!!

Oh yes, camp is CRITICAL. Every summer, for 3-4 weeks, my kids go to day camp at the YMCA (well, this year they are getting a treat and going to Horse Camp for one week). I MUST have those weeks every summer, for my own sanity, to organize my house, clean out closets, get curriculum set up and ready to go, plan, and relax (that last one doesn't always happen, however).  Camp is wonderful!!!!

I agree.  Every year I send my 3 oldest each for a week of camp.  And then I arrange for family to take the rest of them so that there is a solid 2-4 weeks of 1 kid at most being home.  Up until this year that kid was my youngest.  This year it is my oldest.  I usually need the 1st week of that time to just unwind and destress and very little gets done.  The 2nd week I start kicking it up, by week 3 I have a solid rhythm going. Week 4 is wrap up and by the end of that week I am so eager to have my kids back home and we start getting back to normal life.  This year I had just the 1 for the first 2.5 weeks, dd comes back home on the 21st, and the younger 2 come home on the 28th which is when oldest leaves for camp.  When he gets home I do his laundry and repack it because we leave 2 days later for family bible camp which is such a nice way to come back together as the whole family. Then we get to come home refreshed, to our nice clean/organized home ready to start a new year.

I wish I could afford a week of camp - I guess I will do like all the other parents in the area and use the library as camp (they love my kids there actually, even had a birthday party for them last week! LOL!!). I could technically drop them off there at 9, and pick them up at closing...

I can say that I did just list some stuff to sell and so that is an accomplishment!!!

Most sleep away camps, especially if christian have partial and full scholarships available, you just have to ask.  All of those camps believe every kid should be able to experience camp and not let finances hold them back.  My kids have always gotten at least a partial scholarship, though generally a full one, to attend camps.  swimming lessons and vbs with gramma she pays for, but like the 2 week horse adventure camp my dd is at right now we were offered a full scholarship for(it was kismet, we didn't even look at that camp initially, they phoned us up).  Last year was different because I found a camp that only charges $10 a week for sleep away camp, both boys are going this year, last year just oldest goes, that place opens registrations on april 1 and is usually full for the summer by the 5th, you can't beat the price,  The year before that both older kids got full scholarships to a christian camp (the one that ds9 was injured at during family camp, he was supposed to have a full scholarship too but was hurt the day before his camp was set to start)

Anyway, just putting it out there for you and others to consider next year.  You don't have to be dirt poor to access these things, you just have to ask.  If you don't qualify for a full or partial scholarship many will also take payment plans to allow your child to have the experience.

I never went to camp as a kid, but I have to say sending the kids every year has been a huge boon to them and me, I get the needed break and time to take care of business here, and they get the amazing experiences camp provides.  When we can afford more we will pay it, and I hope one day to be able to start donating extra money to allow for other kids to access scholarships etc to go to camp too.

My kids are in camp to week, I'm planning and organizing too.

We don't have a homeschool room, I have preferred in the past to just do school wherever. We have a finished basement though, and I'm contemplating using that as the school room. I need to think about this more.

Wow, some of you have some nifty HS spaces!

I think having kids away for personal time and relaxation and sanity is a great idea.  

But I do not think I agree with the idea of organizing while the kids are away.  That happened with me as a kid, and the result is that I did not learn how then, and had to become remedial in it as an adult.   I think it is just as bad as if I had been remedial in arithmetic, maybe more so.

Organizing is a critical skill IMO and deserves to be part of the schooling.  Even for quite a young child, doing things like turning book spines outward, or sorting things by type is something I think can be done. A child who could not read might still be able to match the look of a type of magazine and the letters on it and put all that type in one place, for example.   Older children can do more, of course.   Even as not very good at organization myself, I have tried to teach it to my ds, and he is at least far better at his age, than I was then.

I can see teaching basic organizing skills to a child, but they can have the other 48-50 weeks of the year to learn that from me.  To do a real purge and reorganize you need peace and quiet and focus.  None of those things are accomplished with the kids underfoot.  I think of it like spring cleaning.  YOu teach your kids how to do the cleaning chores, and they pitch in all year long, but spring cleaning time, you just want the young people out of the way so you can get the nooks and crannies and purge to your hearts content.

The kind of organization being done this time of year does not benefit having kids under foot.  You are deciding if you are actually done with an old curric and can sell it or if you want to box it up for future kids.  THen you have to organize all the new stuff.  THis time of year I organize and reorganize all of the items a few times before they are just right.  There is nothing to have a child help with doing that because I myself do not know how I want things to be.  This is not a mere sorting of a certain magazine or putting book spines out.  This is clear the shelves, wipe them down then reshelve the books based on grade, topic, and height (oh wait is that just me? ) It is no different than the school teacher that goes into the school 2 weeks before school begins and scrubs and cleans and organizes the classroom to kick of the year with a bang.  While they may teach the children the required classroom helper roles through out the year those 2 weeks are very much needed to be done before the school year starts or the year gets off to a chaotic start.  Us moms whether we school in a dedicated room, the kitchen table or the front porch need to be sure we can do the same for the same reasons.  Not every little thing we do needs to include the children.  Not every single thing needs to be a teachable moment imo.  Sometimes what the kid is best to learn is that sometimes mom needs to focus on a task without kids around and how to entertain themselves if they would like to live to see dinner that night :p

I agree Swellmomma. My kids have learned to be organized from me throughout the year, but this time of year, I need time alone to get things spic-and-span for the new year. Plus, I need time to just THINK, muse, ponder the year ahead and what I want our family to achieve.

So, I have pulled about 100 books from the shelves, some of whihc I have listed here and some of which I am going to give to a friend who homeschools 3 on a very tight budget. I am going to wipe down the shelves tomorrow.

I am thinking of labeling my shelves with different labels--History, American; History, Ancient; Math, Geometry; Math, Algebra, Language Arts, Spelling....etc. Would i regret this as the section itself might expand or shrink? Any other ideas on how to label my shelves?

Well, my kids are here most of the time. I hear they might go to their Dads this weekend - which means I will waste a whole day enjoying the non-bickering time! :p

My kids are actively helping with the other room purge, but I agree some of what I need to do is easier done without them.

I'm pondering labeling the books and shelves here - but that comes after I get rid of some stuff and get my lesson plans done!

I need to post pics but I am elbow deep in organizing my schoolroom. We don't own a couch, which is a really long story, but because of that I have my kitchen table in my living room. We do school in there for most subjects except for history which we do on my bed.

I am pining over classroom coordinates, like ps teachers use. I don't have a big bulletin board but I think they are nice looking. I also am on the hunt for milk crates in four different colors that aren't going to cost me $8 each. My thought it that everyone could keep their books in them and then they will always be there not lost.

I'm curious to see how people integrate their school and living spaces when there is no separate homeschool room-- our downstairs is one large greatroom and upstairs is not suitable for having a school room. We use the dining room table and homeschool from there. I have plastic bins for manipulatives and school supplies, and school books share space with cookbooks. IMO, it's ugly and inefficient! I'd like to see how others more effectively organize space when they have to combine living and school spaces.

I'm a minimalist.... It would shock and perhaps horrify you to see what school within the upstairs looks like for a family with ten children and the lack of.... Stuff.  :D

I just packed away anything that wasn't desperately loved, for the Ancients, or could be gotten at the library.  I feel. So. Much. Better.

I have clear spaces!!!  Traded out one of my tall Billy shelves for my son's set of three (3) shelf Billies.  Then I divided up all the workbooks, etc. and bound them so that each child has ONE bound book.  The rest? Packed away 'til second semester.

I'm feeling like I can breathe.  I don't cope well with clutter, or things stacking up on horizontal spaces.

The computer was brought up out of our (dark) lower level and plugged in in my room for ease of access and for the high schoolers to keep good records.  (HST+)

Purchased an extra white board last year so that I have one for schedule, one for AAR/AAS tiles, and another to work diagramming on. 

What's left?

Anchor the tall Billy in its place in the living room.

Load son's freshman texts/classes into HST+ for this year.

Reload their binders with paper and their pencil cases with pencils and erasers.

Purchase a few things for little folks.

Make a boatload of play-doh.

I'm pretty much done.  I've made the WWE (1, 1, 3, and 4) sheets in italics.

I've got the books bound.

I've got curriculum except for Omnibus.

I have the plan in place.

I gave birth to the baby.

The toddler is going through potty training this week.

My parents have visited for the summer, in-laws come next week.

The only other thing is that we usually keep maps under a plastic table cloth and then under our "real" tablecloth and I need to get that going again.

Last week I literally took everything out of the drawers and off the shelves and put it in the front hall. Cleaned the classroom top to bottom then gave everything a home. I filled two garbage bags and an entire table of sell items. We put up a whiteboard and large cork board and as a result moved all the wall stuff around. I'll try and add pics later. I still have make curtains and bean bag chairs and finish a few small projects.

My DH requires a school room. I can't have school in the sitting room because he wants the mess out of his sight. He hates that I had to use the bookshelf out in the sitting room for some text books. I did stick an old fashion desk in the sitting room so when my DH isn't home we can go out of the room for a change. The boys also have one small old desk in their bedroom. HS is a way of life not just a three hour block in the morning for us so I would love to have my whole home be double schoolroom.

I did nicely duck tape some diaper boxes that were all exactly the same size to have cheap storage. One for: first grade, 2nd, 3rd, puzzles, games. Then 4 tall skinny sam's club granola bar boxes for workbooks and hs catalogs. I just couldn't spend $10 on a basket when I have diaper boxes everywhere.

I agree that kids need to see you organizing but it is quicker without them interrupting. My son (5) was told to pick through his toys in the playroom, he filled the garbage can (one of the big out door ones) in about an hour. He is a minimalist like mommy. I had to get stuff out of the garbage that are classic toys that I wanted to save.

I had my school room organized last week after someone (can't remember what) inspired me on this forum. It felt good. My main project is to paint the room from an ugly green to a calm tan but then the temperature hit 90 all week (I live in Michigan) so it's too hot to paint. I'll have to wait till just before school starts in Aug now.

I'll show some pictures: there is a couch in the school room where I sit with my coffee. It's inbetween both boys so I can share my time.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwzK_rUHsTvSSld2aHhvZkM1anc/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwzK_rUHsTvSd204RTlNVWRyWHc/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwzK_rUHsTvSWXhxX3RHVGU0MXc/edit?usp=sharing

Today I am going to cut the bindings off some of the Progeny Press books I bought last year for nothing, and create a "fun" mini workbook of math activities for older. That way the workbooks will actually get used! I am going to create a Language Arts binder as well-using Kiss Grammar, Fig Speaking and Grammar Revolution diagramming (we have about 20 pages left of that to do). 

I'm a minimalist.... It would shock and perhaps horrify you to see what school within the upstairs looks like for a family with ten children and the lack of.... Stuff.  :D

I just packed away anything that wasn't desperately loved, for the Ancients, or could be gotten at the library.  I feel. So. Much. Better.

I have clear spaces!!!  Traded out one of my tall Billy shelves for my son's set of three (3) shelf Billies.  Then I divided up all the workbooks, etc. and bound them so that each child has ONE bound book.  The rest? Packed away 'til second semester.

I'm feeling like I can breathe.  I don't cope well with clutter, or things stacking up on horizontal spaces.

The computer was brought up out of our (dark) lower level and plugged in in my room for ease of access and for the high schoolers to keep good records.  (HST+)

Purchased an extra white board last year so that I have one for schedule, one for AAR/AAS tiles, and another to work diagramming on. 

What's left?

Anchor the tall Billy in its place in the living room.

Load son's freshman texts/classes into HST+ for this year.

Reload their binders with paper and their pencil cases with pencils and erasers.

Purchase a few things for little folks.

Make a boatload of play-doh.

I'm pretty much done.  I've made the WWE (1, 1, 3, and 4) sheets in italics.

I've got the books bound.

I've got curriculum except for Omnibus.

I have the plan in place.

I gave birth to the baby.

The toddler is going through potty training this week.

My parents have visited for the summer, in-laws come next week.

The only other thing is that we usually keep maps under a plastic table cloth and then under our "real" tablecloth and I need to get that going again.

LOL!

Yeah, I like to do things the hard way. :p Since my oldest is still finishing up math and science, I have been doing school with the two littles. So I'm trying to plan for next year, clean out the school room and do school at the same time. No wonder I'm not getting anything done.  :rolleyes:

We're still doing some school in the midst of it, too.  Math, history, Greek, literature, penmanship...

:willy_nilly:

Yesterday, I got their binders cleaned out--pitched last year's papers that I didn't need to keep and put the rest in a box for filing.  I also got their dividers labelled for this year.

And, that was it.  I'm not really sure what happened to the rest of the day. 

So much more to do, and I don't really want to do any of it.  I'm in and out all day today, so I don't know how much progress will be made.  I do hope to have everything cleaned up and put away by the end of the week, and I'll focus on getting the rest planned next week.  We're not doing any school because my oldest turns 14.  

Today I am going to cut the bindings off some of the Progeny Press books I bought last year for nothing, and create a "fun" mini workbook of math activities for older. That way the workbooks will actually get used! I am going to create a Language Arts binder as well-using Kiss Grammar, Fig Speaking and Grammar Revolution diagramming (we have about 20 pages left of that to do). 

Hey--your IKEA red chairs at the tables:  have they held up?  I think my black ones are just like yours, and they are falling apart.  At first I thought maybe it was a certain boy who tends to be a bit rougher on things, but they all have done the same thing (the inside parts that hold the back to the metal poles have cracked).

This thread is keeping me eager and anxious to keep moving forward with the reorganization efforts, but DD and I are out of the house all day during the week. By the time we get home, we're too hot and exhausted to get anything constructive done. I have to wait for Saturday!

Hey--your IKEA red chairs at the tables:  have they held up?  I think my black ones are just like yours, and they are falling apart.  At first I thought maybe it was a certain boy who tends to be a bit rougher on things, but they all have done the same thing (the inside parts that hold the back to the metal poles have cracked).

They're ok. not great. They are pretty easy on them though. I can see where they would fall apart for sure.

I had 4 black IKEA chairs and they all broke within a couple years.

Send them to our YMCA camp! 8 am to 5:30 for $125 a kid.....worth my sanity!

We don't even have a YMCA here. The closest one is about a 40 minute drive in traffic.... I joined one year, did 4 weeks of swimming lessons daily and it about did me in driving. I went to water aerobics a few times and that was torture going all the way there (traffic.... 1 road, around a big lake.... with construction....).

Technically, rumor has it when they build the new middle school in the area west of my house, the Y is supposed to build "next door" or something. I have visions of being able to walk to a pool. Because, we don't have a public pool in town either - we have to go to the next 2 towns and pay more because they don't really want us there.

But alas, I will find a camp of some sort for next summer!

I had 4 black IKEA chairs and they all broke within a couple years.

Ikea isn't exactly "built to last"  in my experience. If you get more than 3 years out of anything, I consider that an accomplishment!

The ones I have started breaking after just a couple of months.  They're still usable, but it's a bit frustrating.  Unfortunately, I can't really afford to replace them with something nicer x5.

You know, I had to call Ikea customer support the other day. The kid was really really nice - I was impressed. I would at least call them to voice your displeasure at them breaking so soon after purchase.

Oh the car aspect.... I need tires. Sure, no problem.... I've owned my car a few days short of 1 year and have driven 21,000 miles I think. I didn't expect that...

I"m running away from my room for 2 hours to gymnastics.

I'm curious to see how people integrate their school and living spaces when there is no separate homeschool room-- our downstairs is one large greatroom and upstairs is not suitable for having a school room. We use the dining room table and homeschool from there. I have plastic bins for manipulatives and school supplies, and school books share space with cookbooks. IMO, it's ugly and inefficient! I'd like to see how others more effectively organize space when they have to combine living and school spaces.

We used to live in a home like this and I can tell you attractive closed storage is your friend. A big pantry or wardrobe with doors, Expedit-type shelving full of baskets, chests of drawers, etc. A couple of wood filing cabinets were really nice. (We're currently using them as side tables by the sofa.) I used a rolltop desk for an "office" in the middle of the greatroom and it was perfect because I just shut the top when I was done and voila! Every piece of furniture you buy should have some storage included, LOL. It's hard too when you need to hang stuff on walls and you don't have any wall space!

I'm going to run downstairs and take pics. I have a closet I'm converting to school use and need some ideas.

Hmmm...this info about IKEA is good to know. It seems IKEA is often the go-to place for homeschool rooms. Maybe instead of posting before and after pictures when people first decorate, they should post before and after pics of IKEA furniture with a few years use.

I'm very happy with the IKEA tables, stools, and Poang Chairs we have, for the record.  It's just this one style of chair :).  I'm also happy with the desk lamp.  I've never heard anything bad about IKEA bookcases, either.

Oh yes, camp is CRITICAL. Every summer, for 3-4 weeks, my kids go to day camp at the YMCA (well, this year they are getting a treat and going to Horse Camp for one week). I MUST have those weeks every summer, for my own sanity, to organize my house, clean out closets, get curriculum set up and ready to go, plan, and relax (that last one doesn't always happen, however).  Camp is wonderful!!!!

I never thought about camp before!  I just asked DH about the possibility of enrolling the kids in public school....but just for a week or two every year so I could have a little vacation.  He thought it might work the first year but not every year.  I can't believe I never thought about camp before!

Ikea isn't exactly "built to last" in my experience. If you get more than 3 years out of anything, I consider that an accomplishment!

Well, I guess I've accomplished something. Our big Expedit cubbies have lasted about 9 years, including a move. Even the cheap stuff I have holds up very well compared to comparably priced items from, say, Walmart. (I have a Walmart bookshelf that's looked on the verge of breaking since I purchased it. It seems to be a bookshelf not sturdy enough for actual books, so I keep board games and empty binders on it).

Ikea isn't exactly "built to last" in my experience. If you get more than 3 years out of anything, I consider that an accomplishment!

Really? We have a set of Billy & Expedit(I think) book shelves that DH bought before we were married. They've done great for over 12 years & through 5 military moves. I love those things. They have held up well.

On the other hand, our precious Drexel Heritage bedroom furniture gets beat up more & more with each move...Should have waited until after military retirement to buy the good stuff.

So, when organizing art supplies, how do you store construction paper so it's easy to access? Mine is currently on a book shelf in a magazine file, but its too heavy for my little ones to lift. I'm thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kaisercraft-Beyond-Scrapbooking-Paper-Storage/dp/B004BPWFD0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1374023919&sr=8-9&keywords=Scrapbook+paper+storage

Any other ideas?

I've rearranged the piles of books I need to enter into HST+ into different piles :lol:.  I need to actually enter them into HST+, file away last year's work, update their binders, make their planners, and come up with a routine for the new year.

I really must do more than move piles around, considering we're supposed to start full force 8/1, with a light schedule this coming week.

I painted and reorganized our schoolroom at the end of June.

Love it!!! I really like the color. We have the same desks except the legs on ours are silver. =) I'm still working on our schoolroom for this year. We plan to start Aug. 5, so I need to get busy.

I used to keep it up in the kids' closet so DD couldn't reach it. She tended to be profligate in her use so I preferred to ration it out. Now, it sits in a flat stack on top of a short-ish bookshelf where DD can reach but DS cannot. Last year it was in a plastic drawer, also laying flat, which tended to get in disarray every time DD went for a piece of a particular color by digging through it.

I spent the last several days getting the school room ready. I should say that lesson planning isn't included in that time. But I finally finished! http://eclectic-homeschool.blogspot.ca/2013/07/our-homeschool-room.html It isn't anything fancy and you certainly won't get any decorating ideas, but I'm done! I think I have a set-up that will work for us this year. We start tomorrow.

I think your room looks great!! I need to schedule time this year for my son to use the treadmill. Thanks for the idea!!

Why is it that my youngest considers a clean room to be a pure blank slate for her start messing up in new and creative ways?! I got the floor cleared today. All the homeless craft supplies now have homes, the garbage is gone, the excess bins are packed away. DD8 got home from camp and promptly spread out on the floor with paper and paints--something I didn't discover until she was in bed and it was too late for her to go clean it up! I guess the dining room table was so messy from her previous projects that she needed a clear space  :cursing:

You know, I was going to start school in a few weeks, but I may just turn the rest of the summer into "Clean Up After Yourself" and "When I Tell You to Do Something, I Mean Now" boot camp. 

So, when organizing art supplies, how do you store construction paper so it's easy to access? Mine is currently on a book shelf in a magazine file, but its too heavy for my little ones to lift. I'm thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kaisercraft-Beyond-Scrapbooking-Paper-Storage/dp/B004BPWFD0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1374023919&sr=8-9&keywords=Scrapbook+paper+storage

Any other ideas?

I have several sets of these stackable drawers (our former workboxes).

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Organizer-ClearView-White/dp/B000K7RK6A/

The paper fits nicely inside, and I have supplies sorted by category in the drawers. The sets are compact enough to fit into small extra spaces, and they take advantage of vertical space pretty well. I think I bought them at Walmart for less than Amazon is selling them, but that was a few years ago.

I spent the last several days getting the school room ready. I should say that lesson planning isn't included in that time. But I finally finished! http://eclectic-homeschool.blogspot.ca/2013/07/our-homeschool-room.html It isn't anything fancy and you certainly won't get any decorating ideas, but I'm done! I think I have a set-up that will work for us this year. We start tomorrow.

Imagine my surprise when I saw your homeschool room being linked on the fb page for the provincial homeschool association as the topic starter of who has a dedicated schoolroom. I was like, hey I know that room! Lol

Any other ideas?

We just use a portable file box with a handle, that way gravity keeps the kids from making a paper mess every time they grab a sheet.  They drag it around to wherever the crafting is going on, sometimes it's a stage for Barbies or a picnic table, etc.  

post-20793-0-70044500-1374065402_thumb.jpg

post-20793-0-70044500-1374065402_thumb.jpg

I have more 12x18 construction paper than 9x12. Right now I have it in totes until I figure out if it is going back into the "craft closet" or is finding a new home out here. I really would prefer it out here - but I think that the craft closet will be in use again. The room it is in is being totally rearranged, so i'm hoping that will keep it less of a disaster.

That is part of what is on todays schedule!

Well, I have a long day of patients today (I am an acupuncturist) so probably won't get a lot done. I did cut the bindings off of some "fun" workbooks yesterday, and may have time to bind them with the proclick. Alternatively, I may use my free hour to listen to my MIddleMarch audio book and garden.....;)