Menu

Let's Organize our HS rooms!

Ok, my area that is fairly organized and ready to go ( I need to go through some books but that's just about it) 20130801_181234_zpsb3a68786.jpg

20130801_181249_zps58104b41.jpg

The laundry basket of books are our library books. I try to keep them separated. This shelf houses all our current curriculum, every day supplies such as notebook paper, crayons, pencils, etc... 

20130801_181325_zpsa63e0e2f.jpg

I use our pantry door space for math posters, our garage door hosts our AAR/AAS progress charts and in the walking path from the living room to dining room we have a desk there for laptop work. When a kid is using the laptop, I make sure they wear earbuds to not distract others.

20130801_181336_zps47fec09d.jpg

We also use the side of our fridge for displaying posters. I plan on removing the red heart and move it to our front door/foyer area and where the red heart is hanging, our world map will probably be displayed there. That is my plans at least.

20130801_181353_zps631e14be.jpg

This cabinet hides old curriculum that I am not using but not ready to use within this next year either. Also has project knick knacks, etc.. It is also a great height so that when my ADHD one gets wiggly, I can send him there to stand and complete his work. The light from the front window is perfect as well.

20130801_181404_zps3913df0e.jpg

And this closet is the remainder of our supplies. The kids file away their completed daily work in their own subject folders in the blue crate. Also spare supplies, teaching resources, manipulatives and the next levels of curriculum waiting to be utilized are store here. I love this closet much more now that it houses school supplies vs its intended use of a coat closet. Who really needs a coat closet in GA?!

I am pretty sure by these pictures you can see just about my entire house ha ha! Only other piece of furniture that you can't see is my coffee table in the living room. We use that for AAR. It houses the girls' current fluency sheet, high lighters to use while reading our worksheets, and a stapler, tape and basic "desk supplies" for me to keep our school day flowing. Only other areas you can't see in these photos are our bedrooms and they are tiny. So these truly are our only spaces to school but I think we make it work quite well for the most part. I have to stay on top of not buying curriculum. I loan out or give away anything we don't like. I have a small space for some to store in that white cabinet but naturally space is limited. We take photos of our projects and they magically disappear during the night after the kids tire of their newness (usually after a week or two ;) )

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took 2 boxes of books to Goodwill, sold 2 boxes of books at Half Price Books, and am swapping 45 books on Paperback Swap.  (That was my bedroom, where the shelves are now single stacked.)  I need to sort through my downstairs bookshelves again, but I have now officially run out of book-sorting motivation.

I input the first 2 weeks of school into Scholaric last night while watching a movie.  This morning I plan to print out the cursive pages and multiplication review that will go into my son's all-in-on LA workbook.  (It just seemed more convenient to throw the math review in there, too.)  Then I need to bind it all up with my ProClick. 

My dd REALLY wants to help me paint the upstairs hallway, so we need to get that done next week before our homeschool starts back.  She leaves for college at the end of August.  I also decided that I am going to build 10 dollar ledges for the hallway.  My hubby says he will build in some niches on the other side of the hallway.  I don't know when that will get done, but I'm excited.

Edited to add:  link

I also decided that I am going to build 10 dollar ledges for the hallway.

I"m building these to go around my bedroom!!!

I built a corner without power tools.... obviously, I haven't built the rest yet!

I actually was thinking about them for my gallery wall in my hall - but I truly don't think I have the space. *I* will be the one to whack my leg into them :p

Mandy it looks great!!!!

And my coat closet has coats in it... i think. Maybe just camping gear. Either way, it is like 20 feet away from the front or back door. Really people???? It had to have been a total after thought!

I might be imploding with a mommy-meltdown soon - but the kids should be gone most of the weekend, and I think I can attack things again. I have to go to Orlando on Monday for a Doctors appointment, so I am going to buy the bracket to hang the Besta I bought. I wish I could buy the second one, but that can't happen this week :(

Mandy that looks great! Can you share how you labeled the shelves in your closet?i have a closet like that but haven't labeled the shelves....

Those are just those word cards you can buy to label things in your room or put a child's name on their desk. I just printed the labels and glued them on. Then I taped them through the slots of the shelves. Two or three pieces on each card

My room is coming together!  I just have the bottom two shelves of our schoolroom to clean out and organize (unfortunately they are the worst).  I'm also going through the toy room to create some shoebox-sized activity boxes for my youngest.  Then, I just have our bare, boring walls to deal with!  I took down all of our posters and we just have a dry-erase board...I haven't decided what to put up.   I'm thinking of having them paint stretched canvases and I picked up some composer postcards at a garage sale.  

I thought I'd post mine before it gets to be a mess again. We have a room downstairs that is a library (the teal walls) and then our "school room" is in the upstairs loft (sand and red walls). I think dh is working on a new (bigger) school table, yay!

I thought I'd post mine before it gets to be a mess again. We have a room downstairs that is a library (the teal walls) and then our "school room" is in the upstairs loft (sand and red walls). I think dh is working on a new (bigger) school table, yay!

I love the teal and black library!

I made an executive decision this week.  We are schooling in the kitchen instead of the basement this year.  The basement has no natural light at all.  It's far away from baby's crib at nap time.  It's always cluttered with toys toys toys.  I'm going to let it go the way of the playroom.

The kitchen is bright and sun-shiny. It's huge, with plenty of storage.  It's central to everything in the house, but not in direct sight of front door.  We have a nice covered porch that opens to the backyard visible from the kitchen table.  It's close to the living room where we read.

We will store everything we aren't currently using downstairs so clutter doesn't take over.

Paula I think that's a good idea! You need to work with how your family actually lives, and not try to force yourself into a space that you don't gravitate towards....good luck!

The only drawback to the kitchen is that dh has his home office a few feet away.  That can be distracting.  My plan is to pack up and move to the basement for the morning if/when he has ...ahem...distracting days.

We have a mini kitchen island that folds in and rolls.  I am SO using that to store the most frequently used books/manips.  I'm loving this already.  

...sending dh to the hardware store to get stuff to mount a whiteboard up here.

I made an executive decision this week.  We are schooling in the kitchen instead of the basement this year.  The basement has no natural light at all.  It's far away from baby's crib at nap time.  It's always cluttered with toys toys toys.  I'm going to let it go the way of the playroom.

The kitchen is bright and sun-shiny. It's huge, with plenty of storage.  It's central to everything in the house, but not in direct sight of front door.  We have a nice covered porch that opens to the backyard visible from the kitchen table.  It's close to the living room where we read.

We will store everything we aren't currently using downstairs so clutter doesn't take over.

Sounds like an excellent plan!  Light is so important to my mood.  I also like your idea of keeping the stuff elsewhere.

At the risk of jinxing myself yet again.... there is a chance I will be ALONE in my house for a couple of days this weekend. 

I was at first irked, but then I realized, I WOULD BE ALONE and might actually accomplish something!!!

Either way, I'm out of time and have to accomplish something! :p

The kids ever so wish we had plans today... well, better ones than what I outlined will get done! :D

Well, the carpenter is ALMOST FINISHED building a closet in the back of the homeschool room to house the washer dryer and LOTS of rubbermaid storage bins for 'extra' school goodies that we don't need to have out all the time. I am SO excited. It is already looking AMAZING. It's amazing what a talented carpenter can do, really. I am so thrilled--we are almost there in terms of being ready for school on the 19th!!!!!

Well, the carpenter is ALMOST FINISHED building a closet in the back of the homeschool room to house the washer dryer and LOTS of rubbermaid storage bins for 'extra' school goodies that we don't need to have out all the time. I am SO excited. It is already looking AMAZING. It's amazing what a talented carpenter can do, really. I am so thrilled--we are almost there in terms of being ready for school on the 19th!!!!!

I've covered two ikea magazine holders with scrapbook paper, made homemade modge-podge, found THE glass vase/cups for our pencils.....

Then DDs Connections Academy stuff showed up and has me in a tailspin.... I cannot do what I had hoped with it, so I'm pondering that. So I'm doing the creative stuff instead :p

We've had a good 1/2 week of school in the kitchen.  Love it~

The basement has been trashed b/c I didn't step foot in it until yesterday.  :glare:  Minimalism, here I come...who wants a basement full of toys!?!

I'm going to get this under control before we start school for real with co-op and gymnastics and all that insanity.

My daughter and I did get the hallway painted.  I built my $10 ledges, but they ended up being $15 ledges because I went with better wood.  I gave them a first coat of lovely, white paint this afternoon.  I think the second coat will have to wait until tomorrow.  My back hurts.  We started school this morning, so my last projects and school time are overlapping.  Oh well. . .

I love all of the pictures.  I am such a visual person; it helps to see all of the ideas.  I love the newsprint roll under the table and Kelly's schedule board.  My main problem is my new house doesn't have much wall space in the school room,  It is almost all windows.  The little bit of wall space is high up or covered by book shelves.  That really limits hanging items for organizing or displaying creations.  

Here are a few ideas of how I organize my school stuff/room.  

Finally finished!

Before... ugh, *shudder*

]9551383888_bd058d4a1d.jpg

And....

]9551385612_bd777ab9f5.jpg

Now After:

9548604107_0237eb88de.jpg

The white board says, "I dow not like school."  How lovely :)

9551387092_8c2106cceb.jpg

]9548602467_5e73e7ef64.jpg

As for the hot mess of cardboard...

]9551388588_9cda6e3e20.jpg

...its my ds new fort. He's a WILD man and I'm hoping this will keep him entertained while we school. We use our kitchen table for her work space (the kitchen is immediately to the left of the computer desk.) The room is a big room, and its longer than it is wide so its kind of hard to capture in pictures. Oh well!

I didn't get too into decorating or making it cute because we will (hopefully) be moving in a month or two.

But.... thats it!

I have started on min after being inspired by the pics here.  Still much to go, but have started.  An ikea trip next weekend and then I'll be able to really make progress on this project.  So far, most things lying around on the floor or in tubs until furniture is here.  Thanks to all who posted and inspired!

Ok everyone.  I'm going to need some help.  I will post some pics of our homeschool "spaces" and I use that term loosely because they are just areas of our house, but I need ideas on things I can do to organize better.  My DH is on vacation this week, so I need to get the house ready to start school after labor day. 

Okay, here are my pics.  Any suggestions would be awesome.  The first one's of the dining room, that's where I keep older DS' things.  The living room, I'm sort of using as a playroom at this point, somewhere the twins can hopefully stay occupied for short periods of time, God willing!

so in the DR, something better than to trofast for organization of school books (Only what we are currently using) art supplies and random supplies.  I the living room, books! So many books, IDK what else.  Maybe something for some montessori-ish preschool stuff, or puzzles & games.

post-31223-0-10790900-1377479142_thumb.jpg

post-31223-0-17539200-1377479241_thumb.jpg

post-31223-0-70048300-1377479300_thumb.jpg

Done! Homeschool room is organized and clean, this year's lesson planning finished, and we're having our first full day of school. It feels so good to have everything come together and feel well prepared (for now anyway - I'm sure that will only last a short while).

Our room is pretty small, but it suits our needs very well. Here is an overall picture when you walk in. The room is off the front foyer with the kitchen sort of behind this space so it's nice and close to the hub of the house (but has french doors to close it off if needed). Dd's desk is to the left of the room, she picked out the picture of the horses. Under her shelf is a bar and cups for supplies, which came from ikea. I like how they stay out of her way but she can move them around if she wants to work at the table, floor or chair. My desk is to the far right of the room and has a chalkboard to write our weekly scripture for memory on.

overviewfromdoor.jpg

The antique buffet came out of my dad's print shop, which I loved to hang out at when I was a little girl. It's special to be able to have this in our homeschool room, and provides great storage for some of our most used books. The drawers below hold our math and science materials, and we have our pencil sharpener, paper sorter, and some art supplies on top along with Dd's catapult and microscope.

antiquebuffet.jpg

Here's our reading nook. I have a basket for library books and the top drawer in the little table holds things like reading logs, a reading timer, and book marks. The middle drawer has mad libs, word searches, crossword books, and a couple of coloring books. The bottom drawer contains music stuff. A lap desk is stored under the chair and a floor cushion gets tucked behind the chair when not being used.

readingnook.jpg

The wall to the right is where our Ikea glass whiteboards are installed (I LOVE those, they clean up so easily). You can also see our work table and the bookcase that holds our curriculum materials organized in magazine boxes with subject binders on the top two shelves. The third shelf is filled with books for social studies and a few of my most used books. The next shelf has games for when Dd has done a great job concentrating and getting her work done. The bottom shelf holds all of our stuff for making journal pages.

whiteboards.jpg

I think that's about it! I have little changes I would like to make, like sewing a slip cover for the reading chair (the dog is always climbing in it and I'd like to be able to wash it more frequently), I have a half-done quilt I need to finish to throw over the chair for cuddling in, and I would like to either replace Dd's chair or at least slip cover over the ugly grey.

*edited to fix my pictures

Okay, slightly embarrassed. I changed my library around a little (teal room, upthread) and decided I wanted to combine my library and school room, so my dh being the awesome guy that he is, helped me move all our school stuff downstairs yesterday, into the library. :o My dh also finished the table he was making us since the last pictures. So, here is our "revised" schoolroom! It's hard to take a picture b/c it has a hallway on the other side and I can't pan out more.

StaceyE your room is so relaxing and calming. I love your reading chair, and am especially jealous of the print shop cabinets, they are beautiful. Would you mind telling me more about your ikea glass boards-- what section are they in, or what are they called?

Thank you Carrousel, this used to be a sitting room that never got used. Once we turned it into a homeschool room, it has become a favored spot for everybody in the family.

The last time I went to Ikea, they didn't have the whiteboards anymore. They sell a white tempered glass desktop in their office section that can be mounted to your wall to make a big whiteboard. If you do a google search, you'll see all sorts of instructions for making one. I really like having glass instead of the standard expo board that tends to ghost.

I didn't get nearly everything done that I wanted to before starting school.  We even started a week late.  Here is our first day of school.http://exploringwiththemeriwethers.blogspot.com/

I did sort through some things.  Dh replaced some of the lighting.  I got the kids office chairs.  I ended up hanging white boards.  I think I should be disappointed by what I didn't get done, but, honestly, I am too tired to care right now.  :lol:  I got the important planning done.  The room is pleasant and comfortable even if it isn't fancy.  I was up until 1:00 last night studying for an industry specific test with Dh.  Dd10 was sick all weekend and still feeling puny today.  I am taking ridiculously long to recover from a very minor surgery (tired every afternoon).  I consider just getting through our first day of school today a win. :thumbup1: