Menu

Let's Organize our HS rooms!

Thought it might be fun to have a motivational thread for those of us organizing their home school stuff in anticipation of the new year.

I will post some photos tomorrow of my "in progress" work....I am going through all our books and entering them into bookcrawler app and sorting what want to sell, put away for another year, and use this year. Also organizing our daily guides (I don't like schedules!) for our work, rearranging the hs room in my attempt to make it cozier, and putting away last year's work into banker's boxes for storage.

What are you working on? Got pics?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting hubby to bring all the e-waste to his workplace' e-waste corner. Now my kids study materials are spread over the living room and dining room. Seeing whether it is possible to consolidate to one room. Making a trip to Ikea on Tuesday for their free kids meal and get more ideas :)

I've rearranged the piles of books I need to enter into HST+ into different piles :lol:.  I need to actually enter them into HST+, file away last year's work, update their binders, make their planners, and come up with a routine for the new year.

I really must do more than move piles around, considering we're supposed to start full force 8/1, with a light schedule this coming week.

I painted and reorganized our schoolroom at the end of June.

I am waist high in reorganization in my school room! I am making progress but it is SLOW! I could definitely use some motivation. ;) I will try to get some pics of the mess tomorrow. :lol: and maybe get to work on it...AFTER taking the kids to the children's museum.,.:)

Okay, a question for all of you experienced HS'ers:  what advice do you have for newbies on organizing and record-keeping? 

I'm just switching over to homeschooling from private school (kids "going into" grades 4 & 6).  Knowing myself as well as I do I must set up some structure for papers (digital and hardcopy) right at the start, or I will lose things.  I also need a good idea of what to keep and what can be tossed, or I will hang on to it ALL, for fear of tossing something irreplaceable and needed later.

Got any advice for the naturally disorganized yet detail-oriented?

Well, I shared my desk in progress pics in another thread. But I need to stay motivated and finish the project table behind me! I'm happy with the chunk of scanning and sorting I managed this weekend. There is a disaster in the living room - the rest of the family emptied the old school room (that had become the junk room) last week... now I have to sort what stays and goes. UGH.

So, here is what I did.... painted the table legs, assembled the tables, assembled the Besta bookshelf, moved my computer in here.... baby steps, but important ones!

(but, i'm also really good at rearranging piles of stuff I need to deal with :p )

0834C731-1F81-49C4-A7FB-F981827986E3-116

I've rearranged the piles of books I need to enter into HST+ into different piles :lol:.  I need to actually enter them into HST+, file away last year's work, update their binders, make their planners, and come up with a routine for the new year.

I really must do more than move piles around, considering we're supposed to start full force 8/1, with a light schedule this coming week.

I painted and reorganized our schoolroom at the end of June.

1. Love the moving the piles!

2. WOW - the room looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I loved seeing the transformation over the years!!

I've been digging down to the surfaces in our schoolroom. The craft table is now cleared except for organizing boxes, and I'm working on the auxilary desk (the one with no computer on it). Last week I cleaned up and organized the cubbies and bookshelf and got a fresh file box going for what we actually need for 5th grade.

OK. Public humiliation or something right?

Here is the work in progress.... no way anyone is seeing what is behind me in this pic or the one up there. My grandma was kind enough to gift us the money to buy tables and expedit (had the Billys). This is an "alcove" off of my living room, that door actually was the original front door to the house. I'm not sure what purpose this area served given what I've heard about in the way of remodeling that went on. It could have been a dining area? Anyway, my original plan was to have it all be in Billys and be a library nook with a cozy chair. However, the move back to homeschooling meant that we needed a dedicated area again. We talked and agreed this met the families needs. The encouragement to have projects going because we have space for them is the goal. I'm enjoying having the school area in the heart of the home.

ANYWAY, it is a disaster and the shelves all need another sorting. We are short one bookshelf and it means things are divided how "we" (mainly the oldest teen! LOL!!) want them. Patience. I'm learning patience.

OH. I might actually have room when I purge the 2x4 expedit of the for sale stuff.... I need to make a list. :D

9964A38E-A2C3-4F37-B429-A7C7D4861A26-120

I did mine a few weeks ago.  Can I still post the pics? :)  Let's assume that it got this way because we were doing school in the kitchen, and not the other way around...

Presenting The Room of Shame and its nemesis, Cleanliness.

IMG_0040_zps570d2454.jpg

IMG_0154_zps36e4fa6b.jpg

P.S. Yes, we DO have bookcases on an opposite wall!  I don't want anyone to worry that my poor children are being deprived of great piles of books! :D

I wish I would have taken some before pics, but I have spent much of the summer cleaning out our basement/school room.

It pretty much looked like myfatherslily's picture, but with more sq.ft.  Add a computer station, more toys, couch (with cushions in various locations), some dirty laundry, lots of trash, toys(did I mention toys!?!)...it was bad. :glare:

I've cleaned up most of it.  I still have a few things to find a home, but they are out of the way and in piles.  I've put the kids' desks (and baby's exersaucer seat) in a semi-circle with my rolling cart for teacher's stuff so I can spin my chair between everyone. 

I need to organize my stuff, but I don't have a room. Ds has a desk on a side wall in our living room. Dd has a desk in her room. I've got bookcases on a wall that is in between our living room and our eat in kitchen. I'll try to take some before and after pictures and post. I'll probably be working on it all week. I also work several mornings, have an Awana meeting out of town one night, and dd has to be driven to play practices. I hope to get time to accomplish most of it.

I'm working on it. I want to move books and school to the playroom but baby and other concerns have slowed my reorganization. Now that baby is older and the other is getting better, I'm trying to get back to work. The IKEA bookshelves are not helping. We don't have room for more bookshelves!

Perfect timing! no pictures yet. My big ikea expedit exploded the other day (well the fish tank on top spung a leak over night and the wood swelled and split), so now all my school stuff is in piles in the backroom. I am working this week to reorganize all the school stuff and the toys etc for the home daycare. So I will be joining in but no pics yet

I spent the last several days getting the school room ready. I should say that lesson planning isn't included in that time. But I finally finished! http://eclectic-homeschool.blogspot.ca/2013/07/our-homeschool-room.html It isn't anything fancy and you certainly won't get any decorating ideas, but I'm done! I think I have a set-up that will work for us this year. We start tomorrow.

I did mine a few weeks ago.  Can I still post the pics? :)  Let's assume that it got this way because we were doing school in the kitchen, and not the other way around...

:lol: I find that my room gets absolutely horrendous when we're not doing school in it. It's a schoolroom/playroom/sleepover room/game room/pass-through for the garage/laundry/backyard. There's way too much opportunity for things to get set down or taken out and never picked back up in all of that!

All of the finished rooms look so great! I fell asleep early last night, so now that the kids are off to camp, I'm going to take my before pics and make everyone feel better, and then I'll get started. It's definitely not in as bad a state as it was for the 2011 thread though! I love being able to get rid of toys as the kids get older.

My plan originally had been to homeschool at the kitchen table.  However, DH stated he'd like to replace our worn-out sofa for Father's Day instead of waiting until December, as I had budgeted.  We bought a massive sectional (much needed), which meant rearranging most of the downstairs and some of the upstairs in a chain-reaction of furniture relocations to make it fit.  As a result, our dining room and front sitting room have become repurposed into what WILL be quite a nice school space, with the girls' computer desks, the (partially collapsed) dining room table and multiple chairs, the spinet piano, and some bookshelves in desperate need of decluttering (I must get rid of some books -- GASP!).  Once all is said and done it will be quite nice.  We still have some smaller furniture moves with associated carpet shampooing to do, and a couple of chairs to deliver to friends who finally managed to get their apartment, and hand-me-downs generated or received and declined to pass on to the next girl cousins.

I also need to (*wince*) clear my massive whiteboard in the hall, since we will be wanting to write all over it anew throughout the year.  IMHO one can NEVER have enough whiteboard space, nor enough book shelf space.  Nor enough books....

And I still need to figure out a starting file organization, and I have yet to purchase most of the needed curricula.  Our budget has taken a few big hits (not just the new sofa) recently, so my purchases have been a bit delayed.  If need be I will make do with library and online free stuff for a little while to satisfy our state's minimal requirements while I continue purchasing the curricula we actually want as the budget allows.

As it stands I'm chalking up a lot of the home reorganization and homeschool start-up as lessons for the kids, too.  Math (budgeting, geometry for making stuff fit REASONABLY), planning (I am NOT in charge of keeping track of YOUR stuff -- go find it yourself! and  If you really want to do that these are the considerations that must be covered.  Let's work our a REASONABLE plan of action and see what compromises would ease this along.), and other such life stuff.

Still waiting for my phone to charge enough to take some pics. In the meantime, I'm going through our DVD shelf. Bye-bye, Barbie movies *sigh*

Perfect timing! no pictures yet. My big ikea expedit exploded the other day (well the fish tank on top spung a leak over night and the wood swelled and split), so now all my school stuff is in piles in the backroom. I am working this week to reorganize all the school stuff and the toys etc for the home daycare. So I will be joining in but no pics yet

Oh, that is heartbreaking :( I love those Expedit shelves and have been wanting them forever. 

I still can't figure out how to attach pictures on the new forums @@. So don't judge my in-progress, full-of-unpublished-drafts "blog", lol.

I haven't started reorganizing yet, but I added this very exciting element! http://fullhousehomeschool.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/retractable-whiteboard/

Nice!  And I had the urge to pinch your boy's cheeks.  Gosh, I miss having a toddler!

Both of the walls that meet in this corner had wallpaper. The kids and I removed the wallpaper and painted the walls two weeks ago. On the ledge are some of the resources that we will use the first six weeks of school, including the booklets I made for those weeks.post-11891-0-94362500-1373897512_thumb.jpg

My desk.

The bookcases. Dd10 and I alphabetized the fiction books and put the biographies on the stacks in the storage room, but I have a lot of sorting to do yet.post-11891-0-08334100-1373898710_thumb.jpgpost-11891-0-14708600-1373898775_thumb.jpg

The TV area. I want to do some rearranging here. The computer cupboard isn't needed for a computer, so I want to move it into the toy room. post-11891-0-62468300-1373899100_thumb.jpgpost-11891-0-63009700-1373899349_thumb.jpg

The wall with magnetic paint. It will either get clear whiteboard paint now or a whiteboard. The Lil da Vinci frames we just hung are in the background. post-11891-0-01854300-1373900192_thumb.jpg

And this is where it gets really ugly. The storage room with crates and the stack bookshelves that need to be organized.post-11891-0-10536700-1373899375_thumb.jpgpost-11891-0-36892800-1373899567_thumb.jpg

We've been busy but have so much more to do.

After my huge garage remodel last year - unfortunately I never got around to posting pics - and using it for a year, I really want a dedicated science table separate from the school table, but still want our comfy reading chair. So I need to organize and figure out what I don't need in there, and figure out where it should fit. Unfortunately we are still fostering an adult cat who hasn't been adopted and that is where we keep her so I can't do anything too big, but a book purge is in my future. A friend is giving me a kitchen cart that I think if I add a larger butcher block countertop from ikea it will be a nice lab table. Then I have to do tons of lesson planning so we actually have school to do in there.

The bookcases. Dd10 and I alphabetized the fiction books and put the biographies on the stacks in the storage room, but I have a lot of sorting to do yet.attachicon.gifschool9.jpgattachicon.gifschool10.jpg

Not fair - the pics are to small to look at the shelves!!!! I LOVE looking at other peoples bookshelves!! :p

The wall with magnetic paint. It will either get clear whiteboard paint now or a whiteboard. The Lil da Vinci frames we just hung are in the background. attachicon.gifschool16.jpg

Where can you get the clear whiteboard paint???? Everything I found on tintable is that it is professional only. I'm trying to decide what to do with the door in my pictures (metal). It needs to be painted.....

And this is where it gets really ugly. The storage room with crates and the stack bookshelves that need to be organized.attachicon.gifschool14.jpgattachicon.gifschool15.jpg

We've been busy but have so much more to do.

My living room resembles this right now.... what was 15x20 of empty floor is now full of kid piled junk to sort. Guess the kids will have to go to the library later so I can purge without them around! :D

Where can you get the clear whiteboard paint???? Everything I found on tintable is that it is professional only. I'm trying to decide what to do with the door in my pictures (metal). It needs to be painted.....

Edit: It looks like I could buy this http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl?c=1013154&sc=3.

I don't know!  We moved into this house the end of August and spent 3 weeks setting up house before starting school (which is why everything needs to be organized this summer.)  I got the magnetic paint finished and went into Lowe's to buy the whiteboard paint.  They didn't have enough for that wall at the store so I ordered two of the large kits.  They called after awhile saying that they couldn't fill my order, because they are no longer carrying it.  By this time I didn't want to order off the internet, because I wasn't sure the weather would hold for me to have the doors and windows open.  I planned to do it this summer, but I haven't looked online.  I wonder if something happened and it is only being sold to professional painters?

What a funny thread as I have two rooms pulled apart as this thread appeared! This year I've divided my books up between my office and hs room in an effort to actually have a wall in my hs room. Just needing a revamp and something new as to not spend another year with the room looking as it has. I'd love to paint, but I have so much tall/large/heavy things, bookshelves, hutches, etc that I doubt I'll get to it. :( Nonetheless the whole rearranging thing is fun! I have a pile to give and pile to sell. I also laughed at a few books that I will not give away because they give me a chuckle and some warm fuzzies.

Here they are finally. My audiobook is fired up and ready, and I'm going in! I even put on my stretchy pants :lol: Thankfully, I cleaned out the closet (holds craft kits, science kits, seldom used board games, dress-up stuff, etc.) to the right of the hallway and culled the board games already, so now I have lots of clear space. Oops, and I just realized I forgot to snap a photo of the pantry room (the open door on the right). That's part of this project too, because extra school supplies and curriculum to be used in the next year or so are stored in that room (along with pantry food, clothes for upcoming seasons, Barbie supplies, and weird miscellaneous junk). It's an important part of my storage.

Why do I suddenly feel like I need to lay down for a few hours?!  :willy_nilly:

IMAG0175.jpg

Hallway, where a box of curriculum exploded. I started sorting and never finished!

IMAG0176.jpg

Stuff that needs to be brought to Goodwill (I keep adding to it, so I'm planning to go at the end of the week).

IMAG0177.jpg

Art/craft supplies with no home, need to sort and store.

IMAG0178.jpg

Bookshelf, school table, toy shelves--all of which need culling and cleaning. 

I had a thread about dry erase paint not that long ago and was warned against it. My (hairbrained) idea was to paint the top of the tables with it.

I'm going to have to read about it.

The link she posted was the stuff I had looked at it said coming "soon" to consumers. I"m glad to see it is now available. The only other option I had found was professional only.

I want chalkboard table tops and keep getting shot down... I still might do it when they aren't here :p

SO watching these ideas scroll by.... I really really want this paint! OH, and to move so I can have a black ceiling by my pool table for keeping score, and.

http://www.ideapaint.com/spaces/home/

I'm so tempted and will be thankful i'm broke!

(DD said she wants it all over her room!)

ETA: Yikes, ok, at $225 for 50 sf, that will go on the.... "if I ever remember to buy a ticket then win the power ball" list! :p

I had a thread about dry erase paint not that long ago and was warned against it. My (hairbrained) idea was to paint the top of the tables with it. 

:unsure:I really don't want to spend over $300 for something that won't work well.  I'm not worried about the kids writing on other things; they don't roll that way.  I  just don't want shadow writing on a very expensive wall.

So, I can:

1) spend lots of money on a wall which may or may not function well.

2) nag Dh to put a large shower board up that would cover most of the magnetic paint I put up.

3) put up my old whiteboards (or spring for new ones) which would be cheap, easy for me to do myself, and leave large swathes of magnetic wall exposed.

Number three seems like it would make the most sense, but it isn't what I wanted.

I'm curious to see how people integrate their school and living spaces when there is no separate homeschool room-- our downstairs is one large greatroom and upstairs is not suitable for having a school room. We use the dining room table and homeschool from there. I have plastic bins for manipulatives and school supplies, and school books share space with cookbooks. IMO, it's ugly and inefficient! I'd like to see how others more effectively organize space when they have to combine living and school spaces.

:unsure:I really don't want to spend over $300 for something that won't work well.  I'm not worried about the kids writing on other things; they don't roll that way.  I  just don't want shadow writing on a very expensive wall.

So, I can:

1) spend lots of money on a wall which may or may not function well.

2) nag Dh to put a large shower board up that would cover most of the magnetic paint I put up.

3) put up my old whiteboards (or spring for new ones) which would be cheap, easy for me to do myself, and leave large swathes of magnetic wall exposed.

Number three seems like it would make the most sense, but it isn't what I wanted.

I totally understand your lack of desire to cover up your magnetic wall....

I'd have to use chalkboard paint (i have a lot of dustless chalk) on it. I had painted our door to the garage with it in CA, and then on the wall next to it had a 4x8 chalkboard (with the intent to mount a roll of paper for the kids to pull down and draw on).

I think i'm back to the chalkboard paint over my metal back door. I just need to sort out a color from the choices at HD. I really liked these Besta doors Ikea added in a blue-gray color, but I don't think I can get the chalkboard paint to match.

I wonder how the liquid chalk markers do on painted chalkboards? (They had them on the white board paint site)

I need to ponder and google more.

I love my big whiteboard in the back schoolroom - but hate it not being magnetic.

I'm curious to see how people integrate their school and living spaces when there is no separate homeschool room-- our downstairs is one large greatroom and upstairs is not suitable for having a school room. We use the dining room table and homeschool from there. I have plastic bins for manipulatives and school supplies, and school books share space with cookbooks. IMO, it's ugly and inefficient! I'd like to see how others more effectively organize space when they have to combine living and school spaces.

A lot of this will depend on your family. We are a casual family, and do not have any formal rooms in the house. My living room is more like a great room. Because of our lifestyle and interests, having our space just off the living room works for us. It is what we are!

When you walk in my front door, the window you see in my first desk post is what you are looking at, you face the big 5x5 Expedit. ONce I'm done with the wall over the desks (hanging the Besta and adding 3 more, 2 with doors) I think the area will stay pretty picked up. The plastic bins I have will not be in direct line of sight and such.

One thing about the Besta unit I bought - the one sitting on the desk, it is shallow (7 7/8" deep) but it looks like I can get a plastic shoebox in there with the door closed! I was kinda excited about that aspect.

But a lot of people would hate what we have for a set up, so you have to take bits and pieces and figure out what your goal for visable and not is!!

But a lot of people would hate what we have for a set up, so you have to take bits and pieces and figure out what your goal for visable and not is!!

Same here, lol.

The pictures in my link are on my only "big" wall space. I'll try to get better pictures once we're re-organized.

When you walk in our front door, it's all open space. Most of the walls are covered in windows, doors, and the firepace. We can have a lot of fun, interesting materials in tight, make-shift spots, or we can have a clutter-free house. I pick fun, interesting materials (for 3 homeschoolers, a teen, a toddler, and dh and myself.) I do what I can to corral them, but I no longer worry too much about my home looking like a disorganized school, lol.

I am reorganizing this morning while both kids are at camp. 

I love to clean out and tidy things. Order makes my sould happy!   :D  :D  :D  :D 

Listening to Pandora and singing loudly!  :thumbup1:

I only have a few shelves and a couple of cabinets (3'x3' each) for all our hs stuff. 

No homeschool room here, but I'm thankful to have room for a school table in our family room. 

I will be culling my books and selling some to make room for homeschool books and supplies. 

A set of Calvin's commentaries are definitely going because they just take up too much room and I can borrow them from pastors or friends if we need one. 

If I get enough done today I will post pics.  I do not have a dedicated school room.  We school at the kitchen table which is in an eat in kitchen (no separate dining room), and in the livingroom.  The livingroom has been my big reno project since last August.  It should not have taken this long but there is only so much time and money a single mom has to do it on her own.  So other than the baseboards and hanging the new curtain rod/curtains and a few other things it is done.  I will see what I can post either tonight or tomorrow of our school/living space.

We just moved and I have a space I could use, but choose not to. My kids won't stay in a school room. We have bookshelves here and there. I pack up what isn't used this year.

I have one small whiteboard at the desk in my living room. Our living room has no TV. So, it makes a nice place to do school. My older kids just meet with me and work in their rooms or the basement area where their rooms are.

We moved to a state with long winters so my dh chose a larger house than I would want. The attic is a nice loft finished space. I thought about making it a homeschool room. But, instea we are going to store some things up there and make a play space for winter.

Interim update:

IMAG0179.jpg

I finished cleaning up the pantry/storage room, as well as the hallway, which was full of stuff that needed to go into the room. I managed to get the box of curriculum sorted and stored accordingly (it's now full of things I may use during the next year or so--all finished items and items for 7th grade and up are in the attic). I threw away a bunch of junk, cleaned out and sorted the pantry items better, and vacuumed.

I also did some beginning reorganizing of the upstairs linen closet, since I need some shelves from in there in order to organize the craft supplies that are currently homeless. Now I need to go grab the kids from camp, but I'm hoping to finish the closet part when we get home, since the upstairs hallway is currently a mess because of it. 

ETA: Dang, that carpet is even uglier online than it is IRL! 

Okay, so I pulled all the books (well, almost all) off my shelves, began reshelving them, pulled out the ones to either sell or give away, and will enter the remaining into BookCrawler. Then I will figure out which ones I want to use this year and I will put those on a separate shelf, and will use a sticky note within the OM Syllabus to note the name of the book so I won't forget to pull it. 

HEre's the disaster zone:

IMG_3807_zpsffa34c38.jpg

Apparently, the secret to getting this stuff done is camp.  :p

So where can I send the kids.......

Oh my word, you don't even know how I'm kicking myself for not discovering this two years ago! There's a great local Girl Scout camp, only 15 minutes away from me. As camps go, it's super cheap--around $225 per week, per kid, from 8:30 to 4:15. They spend all day outside, get swim lessons, make crafts, choose the track they want to follow each week (dogs, horses, water adventures, etc.), cook around campfires, and spend time in an incredibly positive and supportive atmosphere. All we had to do was join GS as "independent" (troop-less) Scouts for $25 each. They are having a great time and getting tons of exercise, and I am in heaven :lol: They can even do as little as one week (though one of mine is going for three weeks, and one is going for two). I'm getting so much done, but I'm afraid I'm going to be spoiled when it's over!

See if there are any camps near you (if you're not opposed to the GS, of course). It would be totally worth a longer drive for me, though there are buses for ours too. 

Apparently, the secret to getting this stuff done is camp.  :p

So where can I send the kids.......

Oh yes, camp is CRITICAL. Every summer, for 3-4 weeks, my kids go to day camp at the YMCA (well, this year they are getting a treat and going to Horse Camp for one week). I MUST have those weeks every summer, for my own sanity, to organize my house, clean out closets, get curriculum set up and ready to go, plan, and relax (that last one doesn't always happen, however).  Camp is wonderful!!!!