Menu

Farmer's Market Today - Beets. Favorite Recipes?

SJ.

Today we went to a local farmer's market and bought some beets.  Despite declaring beets the absolute WORST food EVER(!!!!) my boys decided they would like to try them again because maybe beets taste better when they are freshly picked.   :)

Any beet lovers out there have a favorite recipe they would like to share?  It is not necessary for beets to be the main part of the recipe, I am looking for something that truly makes beets taste yummy.  

They are much better fresh.

Simplest thing I know... cut off the greens (but not the top stem) of the beets, boil until tender, as you would potatoes. Run them briefly under cold water when done.  The skins will slip right off.  You can then slice them and eat as is, or sauté in a bit of olive oil or butter, or drizzle with a smidge of honey. 

They're also really good roasted, but you need to parboil first to get the skins off.  I don't like to roast them in the summer, though. It makes the kitchen too hot.

Try them kind of plain like that. Really.  The freshness makes all the difference.  My ds thinks fresh beets, carrots and sweet potatoes are nature's candy.

Wash, trim the stems (but don't cut all the way), drizzle in olive oil and roast them at 425 for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on size. Cool and rub off the skins under water or with a cloth. Slice them up and serve them on a spinach salad with goat cheese, candied walnuts, and a dijon vinaigrette. It is the best salad!

What Audrey said - and even easier than boiling:

Prepare as for boiling (unpeeled, with about 1/2" of stems left on) and pierce with knife, put in microwave safe dish w/about 1/4"-1/2" of water. Cover tightly w/plastic wrap.  Cook high about 7 minutes or until done.  (I check after 5, often have to go to 9.)

I slice and eat as-is.

I wash them, dry, rub with a little olive oil, place in a baking dish, and roast (in a toaster oven) at 350 until tender.

After they cool, the jackets slip off easily. Then slice as desired.

Roasting IMO concentrates the flavors better than boiling.

Bill

I wash them, dry, rub with a little olive oil, place in a baking dish, and roast (in a toaster oven) at 350 until tender.

Bill

Totally agree with this. The skins slip right off after they are roasted.

I serve mine roasted with a balsamic reduction. To die for. :D

Bill

This.  I cover the dish while baking.

Dh loves the greens, which still shocks me.  He's not a veggie kind of guy.  Wash the greens VERY well (they are sandy). Slice into bite sized pieces, and saute in a little olive oil and garlic for 5 mins.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Reminder to anyone eating beets or feeding them to family.  They, um, change the color of your pee and don't necessarily stop there. :eek:  In 10-15% of people, they can dye your pee blood red.  My poor kid freaked and began googling, then thought he had bladder cancer.

Peel and roast as you would potatoes, with olive oil and salt. Eat them that way, or cool and slice and serve in a mixed green salad with some goat cheese and good dressing.

This is what I do too, and I never parboil them first. I peel them and chop into chunks then toss with the desired oil and herbs. When they are roasted this way it caramelizes the edges and they become sweet. We love our roasted beets either hot or cold. I've even tried a variety of herbs added to the olive oil and salt and they are so delicious. If you're adventuresome -- try them with curry.  Deeelish!

You can also shred the peeled, raw beets, and add egg, flour and salt and pepper. Form this mixture into small patties and fry them in oil until golden brown. Blot with a paper towel and serve as a side dish for supper instead of potatoes or other starch.

Another real favorite of mine is Ukrainian style beet borscht. There are many recipes online and I haven't had a bad version of it yet. You can add beef stew meat or just add broth for flavor, but it is wonderful even if you use a vegetarian recipe.

:drool5:

Blessings,

Lucinda

It never dawned on me to roast beets. We planted three different kinds this year, so I'll definitely be roasting some - maybe tomorrow.

Did you grow GOLDEN beets? They are fantastic -- especially roasted. Around here they aren't that readily available unless you're with an organic CSA like we are, eat at upscale restaurants or grow them yourself.

Blessings,

Lucinda