Menu

Can anyone recommend a drawing tablet?

Prairie~Phlox

My daughter is looking at them, she's just a leisurely doodler, I wouldn't say her art is by any means awesome, but she has her own money and is 15, so I'm not going to say no. She's been looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Turcom-Graphic-Drawing-Capture-TS-6580B/dp/B008Y40DQU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372260885&sr=8-5&keywords=drawing+tablets but is open to suggestions.

Can you tell me more about how these work. I have a really old one that has to be tethered to our PC and uses a single "paint" program. Is the above tablet a stand alone device? I would actually save a boatload on sketch books if I could find a tablet that DD would use!

I have the very cheap VT Pen Pad. It is enough for what I need it for, which is to draw on a virtual whiteboard for my students in tutoring sessions and online classes when we meet up that way (usually my classes meet in person). It is very cheap and flimsy, but it is good for figuring out if you really want a tablet or not.

My 20yo has a Wacom Bamboo tablet and loves it. She is an animation major. We got her one of the smaller ones to start and she upgraded to a larger size a few years later. It works perfectly for what she needs.

The Pen pad doesn't come with much software at all. It has a fairly short cable to connect to the computer. It is a flexible pad, so you can't put it in your lap. It has to be on a solid surface.

The Wacom tablets are very nice and come with quite a bit of software. How much software depends on which of their tablets you get. The more expensive the tablet is, the more software you get with it. There is a chart comparing the different sizes of tablets at the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Create-Tablet-CTH670/dp/B005HGBF9W/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372297039&sr=1-2&keywords=wacom+bamboo

We have a Wacom Bamboo tablet. We paid $200 at the time we bought it, it came with painting and drawing software. I needed/wanted to update our software as well so the cost of buying the programs seperately validated the $200 for me.

Even if you don't opt for a Bamboo, I'd look at Wacom tablets....they seem to have a better track record. And many of the other Wacoms come with software as well.

Last week I saw a Wacom Bamboo deal for $50 I think, likely that was for a refurbished one.

Just as a side note, the software can be used without the tablet, and the tablet can be used with other software as well.

We bought a Wacom Bamboo Connect Pen tablet (CTL470L) for DD last October, for her Online Math course. The L is for Latin America. You want the CTL470, if you are in the USA or Canada.

Here’s the link on Amazon USA:

http://www.amazon.co...ablet (CTL470L)

This is a *wonderful* product. The Autodesk Sketchbook Express software that is shipped with it is also excellent.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is the best, my wife, my DD and I give this a 10. Very rare for us to like anything that much.

As I recall, DD spent several days practicing how to use it and playing games with it. There is a little learning curve. There are Tutorials and Help included with it.

There is a Video on YouTube (sadly I don’t have the URL to give you here), where a young man who is obviously extremely experienced in using Pen Tablets, explains just how great this model is. As he put it, “you can do anything†with this model.

It works as a Mouse, but very precisely. You can use it, directly, with recent versions of MS WORD, Adobe Photoshop, etc., etc., without using the AutoDesk Sketchbook Express software.

We bought it because when DD began her Online Math course, she discovered that a DigiMemo was required. DigiMemos are not sold in Colombia, so I researched this and the Wacom Bamboo Connect Pen tablet seemed like it could do what DD needed to do.

DD also uses this Wacom Bamboo Connect Pen tablet for her Art course and for her Science course.

Highly recommended!

This is the one I plan to get and which most photographers recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos5-Touch-Tablet-PTH450/dp/B0076HMDQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372351662&sr=8-1&keywords=wacom+small+intuos

From what I've heard, the larger ones are more annoying to use, because you typically only use one small area, and if you have a larger one, you have to move around a lot more, and of course it takes up a lot more space.

• Like 1

This is the one I plan to get and which most photographers recommend:

http://www.amazon.co...om small intuos

From what I've heard, the larger ones are more annoying to use, because you typically only use one small area, and if you have a larger one, you have to move around a lot more, and of course it takes up a lot more space.

The size really depends on what you will be doing with it. I had a smaller (older) Wacom Intuos , and jumping up to the Bamboo's size was wonderful for me.

I have heard good things about these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841

Here is a review: http://frenden.com/post/31659364200/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could

And you could google for other reviews but I've heard lots of good things about many of monoprice's products. The Wacom ones are supposed to be the best, but for a casual doodler, I would get one of the cheaper options.

The size really depends on what you will be doing with it. I had a smaller (older) Wacom Intuos , and jumping up to the Bamboo's size was wonderful for me.

Bamboo and Intuos are two totally different tablets (the Bamboo having less features than the Intuos). I know that the Intuos comes in small, medium, or large. Sounds like Bamboo is one size only? The Intuos is the higher quality tablet.

Here's a great article:

http://phlearn.com/gear/wacom-tablet

• 7 years later...
4 minutes ago, history-fan said:

Was going to respond but noticed how old this post is

I will respond anyway.   My son is at an Art College and has a Wacom Cintiq.   That is what his college uses, and it made the most sense to us to buy what his school used.   He has a 22".   They come in different sizes, with stand alone or computer connected versions.

An ipad pro also has apps for drawing and the nice thing is that there is a lot of versatility in the ipad to use it for other things.   It wasn't enough for my son's needs, but it is a good option.

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I will respond anyway.   My son is at an Art College and has a Wacom Cintiq.   That is what his college uses, and it made the most sense to us to buy what his school used.  ...

An ipad pro also has apps for drawing and the nice thing is that there is a lot of versatility in the ipad to use it for other things.   It wasn't enough for my son's needs, but it is a good option.

I used a Wacom Intuos Pro small for my community college graphics design class. Now DS16 is using it for his drawing hobby and also as a computer mouse replacement.

I use Adobe illustrator on the iPad and it syncs to the Adobe Creative Cloud (free student license) so it was convenient.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I used a Wacom Intuos Pro small for my community college graphics design class. Now DS16 is using it for his drawing hobby and also as a computer mouse replacement.

I use Adobe illustrator on the iPad and it syncs to the Adobe Creative Cloud (free student license) so it was convenient.

Yeah, it really depends on your needs.   My son does animations and game art so the higher end one was needed.   He can't even get as precise as he would like on the ipad, but he does very precise drawings and animations.

18 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, it really depends on your needs.   My son does animations and game art so the higher end one was needed.   He can't even get as precise as he would like on the ipad, but he does very precise drawings and animations.

What does he use on the iPad?  The Ipad pencil?

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

What does he use on the iPad?  The Ipad pencil?

Yes, he used the ipad pencil.   He mostly uses it when he is out and wants to sketch and idea, then he comes back and draws it on the Cintinq when he gets home or back to his dorm.

• Like 1

This is a very old thread that suddenly came to life again. We bought a Wacom Bamboo Tablet for my DD when she began 6th grade, in 2012.    She is now in her 4th semester in university. The Wacom Tablet still works properly and she loves it. Excellent product!  I had commented upthread, in 2013.

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

1 minute ago, kand said:

One of mine has an older Wacom and the other has an iPad. The one with the Wacom is envious of the iPad setup because it works so well and intuitively and doesn’t have to be hooked up to a computer. It’s nice to have that direct pen to screen experience as opposed to needing to adapt to the mouse to screen feel of a Wacom. 

There are also some features (menu items) that are not available on the iPad version of Adobe products so the finishing touches are still done using my laptop.

DS16 would love the Cintiq but the price tag is much higher than the Intuos Pro. We spent slightly under $300. 

• Like 1

And just an FYI, I got the Wacom Cintiq from

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=cintiq&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

They often have deals and last year's model on sale.   And there is no tax if you are outside of NYC.   They have excellent customer service.   We have ordered computers, cameras, and the cintiq from them.  Just be aware they don't work Saturdays, but the website can still receive orders.

• 5 months later...
45 minutes ago, zhuangjia said:

I'm extremely happy with my Deco 01 V2 tablet from XP-Pen - https://www.xp-pen.com . Easily big enough for my needs, and super lightweight. Since I got it, I do a lot of my drawing and painting.

Whereas for math, writing equations and showing one's work is much easier with a pencil or digital pen than trying to type it out by keyboard.  

Spam reported.

Nice try, though!