Menu

Irregular Pronunciation for Dog??

I am taking my DD through Alpha-Phonics and there was a box around dog, which usually means the pronunciation is irregular. I've used Alpha-Phonics before but never noticed the box around dog or if I did, I just ignored it. I looked at the lesson instructions (which I never bother with) and sure enough, it says to note in the lesson that dog, son, ton, and won, have irregular pronunciations. Help me out! I cannot figure out what accent could cause dog to not rhyme with log, hog, cog, fog, jog, etc.

I'm not going to teach this strange new pronunciation to DD but my curiosity is driving me crazy.

Well, all those words do rhyme, but most people I know say them with the o sounding more like aw: dawg, hawg, lawg, etc. Only quickly, and not drawn out, or it sounds comical. It is a different o sound than in words like "top."

We are in Virginia, by the way.

I am taking my DD through Alpha-Phonics and there was a box around dog, which usually means the pronunciation is irregular. I've used Alpha-Phonics before but never noticed the box around dog or if I did, I just ignored it. I looked at the lesson instructions (which I never bother with) and sure enough, it says to note in the lesson that dog, son, ton, and won, have irregular pronunciations. Help me out! I cannot figure out what accent could cause dog to not rhyme with log, hog, cog, fog, jog, etc.

I'm not going to teach this strange new pronunciation to DD but my curiosity is driving me crazy.

:confused1: I have no idea either. They all rhyme to me.

I've heard a few people pronounce "dog" with a more short "u" sound. It's not quite "dug" but kind of half-way between how most of us would pronounce "dog" and "dug". It's almost like the vowel sound in "door" but not with the r part.

Does that make any sense?

I assume it's people who say dawg... I'm from the south - Georgia and NC - and when I say dog it almost rhymes with log, hog, bog, etc. but it's just a little different. Not enough that I would say it's a "rule breaker" though.

ETA: To clarify... I think in some southern accents, all those words are pronounced with an "aw" sound. But that dog always is and the others are more standard.

ABeka used to use "egg" as an example of the "short e" sound - with nothing like a box to tell you some people might pronounce it differently. I remember looking at it and thinking, "What the heck? The 'e' in egg makes a 'long a' sound!"

*giggling uncontrollably*

yeah, for me dog is daw-g and hog is more like hah-g. But i'm doing LoE and i find that some sounds she call the same sound slightly different to me, and some that she calls different sound the same to me. i dont worry too much.

ABeka used to use "egg" as an example of the "short e" sound - with nothing like a box to tell you some people might pronounce it differently. I remember looking at it and thinking, "What the heck? The 'e' in egg makes a 'long a' sound!"

yeah, I ran into that with Abeka too, my oldest is granduating now...a long, long time ago. I read the short e sound for "egg" and realized that I say "aag"

I have a California accent

just kidding, there isn't one. I just have unique speaking skills. At first, with the OP, I realized that the way I say dog and hog don't match..but I can't explain it, it's not dawg....

I have a California accent

just kidding, there isn't one. I just have unique speaking skills.

I used to say this about Oregon. We don't have an accent, everyone else does :lol: But then I found people from Ireland and Tennessee say the same thing and it was like everything I believed about the world was wrong.

I say my name weird, too...I go by "Jenny" (or at least I did, now I have a complex and go by Jen or Jennifer)..anyways, I would meet people and introduce myself as Jenny and they would say back "Janey" and it was happening a lot. So now I catch myself and don't introduce myself as Jenny...after a short span of panic as I search in my head for what to say.

it's my own, special accent, I guess :lol:

Well, all those words do rhyme, but most people I know say them with the o sounding more like aw: dawg, hawg, lawg, etc. Only quickly, and not drawn out, or it sounds comical. It is a different o sound than in words like "top."

What was confusing is that log, hog, and fog didn't have the box around them, so I suppose they were meant to be pronounced differently. I know there are regional accents, but I didn't think it would be the first pronunciation! I say all of those words with the same vowel sound, and to my ears, I'm saying it the same as top and hot. Maybe I'm not, maybe my definition of short o is more generous and fluid than others'. They all sound the same to me unless you put a big twang in it. Even the British accent and typical American I heard online have a similar sound to my ear- the British is just shorter.

My only assumption is that dog and all those other words don't make the actual short o sound such as in the beginning of octopus. But since all of them rhyme they may not have seen the need to point out that all of those words o sound is not a true short o sound. Does that make sense?

I'm from the south, but I don't have the stereotypical southern twang. Still, log, hog, cog, fog, and jog rhyme when I speak. I pronounce them all with an "ah" sound, much like the initial "o" in octopus. However, when I pronounce dog, the vowel sound is more "aw". So, for me, dog does not really rhyme with the rest of the list. I know some people from the south actually pronounce the other words, particularly hog, with that some "aw" vowel sound, but I don't.

I was born and raised and still live in NC. To me dog, hog and log rhyme. All pronounced with a quick "w" in them. Dowg (or dawg), howg, lowg. But for whatever reason I say cog and jog without the "w" sound. So they don't rhyme with the first group.

I'm from Northern New Jersey, born and raised. When my boys were younger we moved to South Jersey. Same state, totally different accents. My son came home from school with homework and one of the questions was to circle the ONE word that didn't have the same sound.

Dog, Log, Frog and Cab

To me, dog and cab do NOT sound the same as log and frog. It's DAWG! Dawg does not sound the same as log and frog.

I have since moved to South Carolina and people ask me for a "pin" when what they really want is a PEN.

My only assumption is that dog and all those other words don't make the actual short o sound such as in the beginning of octopus. But since all of them rhyme they may not have seen the need to point out that all of those words o sound is not a true short o sound. Does that make sense?

I've been saying dog for a day now... I say it with the same sound as octopus. o-o-octopus. I'm having speech/language therapy flashbacks....

i'm from the Central Coast of CA - but dog, log, hog, frog, fog.

But, now that I think about it - I would saw saw the same way, OK, I have to go put the AAS cd in and see what I'm doing wrong! :lol:

I'm from the Boston area. I pronounce my "r's" just fine, thanks, but apparently it's a regionalism that "Dawn" and "Don" sound absolutely identical. And the sound in those is the same one in dog, jog, log, frog, fog etc. And the first 'o' in octopus, for that matter.

:confused1:

How weird is that?

son, ton, and won certainly have irregular pronunciations, but NOT dog. Even if regional pronunciations sound a little different, I have never heard any one pronounce it close to son, ton, and won.

I'm from the Boston area. I pronounce my "r's" just fine, thanks, but apparently it's a regionalism that "Dawn" and "Don" sound absolutely identical. And the sound in those is the same one in dog, jog, log, frog, fog etc. And the first 'o' in octopus, for that matter.

Okay, now I'm curious. What other way is there to say Dawn other than Don. Doesn't aw say the short o sound?

Law, draw, awful... Short o sound.

Okay, now I'm curious. What other way is there to say Dawn other than Don. Doesn't aw say the short o sound?

Law, draw, awful... Short o sound.

You got me. It was news to me - I can't figure out how else you'd pronounce it either. But I guess that explains why people not from here can't pronounce Boston correctly! It's got the same 'o' sound.

I think dog does sound like log, frog...

We always had problems with programs saying bag, rag, sag have short a sounds. My kids would just look at me and say they have a long a sound.

Go figure.

OK, the a thing is not working for me... long a says its name, short a is ah like apple. How the heck do you guys say bag, rag and sag with a long a??

And my friends that are Dawn say it just like my Dad that is Don.

To me, they are the same short "o" sound as in "pot". But I have heard it pronounced kind of like "down" but with an "ah" sound for the vowel. You can hear a distinct "w" sound when these folks say it but not when I do.

OK, the a thing is not working for me... long a says its name, short a is ah like apple. How the heck do you guys say bag, rag and sag with a long a??

And my friends that are Dawn say it just like my Dad that is Don.

Actually I think it's somewhere in between the two sounds, just definitely not a short a sound.

I think dog does sound like log, frog...

We always had problems with programs saying bag, rag, sag have short a sounds. My kids would just look at me and say they have a long a sound.

Go figure.

Do y'all say "bag" and "beg" the same way?