Menu

"Special music" at church

T'smom

If you are a regular church attender, could you answer a question for me. If someone was referring to "special music" would they be referring to an occasional occurrence of bringing a music group from a college or an independent band or a certain time in the weekly service where music is performed and the congregation does not take part (could be a pianist, soloist, choir music, etc.)

I know this is a weird question, but I need some feedback. Thanks.

In the churches I've been a part of, the special music is a period in the service for miscellaneous music and performers that don't perform weekly. It could be one or more members of the choir or congregation, it could be the minister of music filling in if nobody else has volunteered, it could be a special instrumental performance, maybe the children doing a special, or it can also be guests from out of town like a college or band. The special music is typically one song, however- not a concert.

Ime, it is a particular time of music, not necessarily the same time in the service each time, where the congregation does not participate. Special people or groups may be involved or it may just be the choir singing. Like a piece of music prepared for a special occasion or that is particularly relevant to the sermon...nth

I have been a part of two different denominations, and in both cases special music was a musical number where the congregation did not participate. Perhaps the choir had prepared a special piece, or there was a soloist, small ensemble, etc. The ensemble may be part of the congregation or visiting or community group. I've seen all three. I would say both definitions you listed would be correct.

Special music here is something that doesn't happen every week - a soloist (vocal or instrumental) or handbells or something like that. Choir sort of qualifies - it's not every week, it has the feel of something "extra" - but it's also kind of taken for granted. So the presence of the choir doesn't necessarily feel like there's special music, but the absence of the choir with nothing else extra would definitely feel like a *lack* of special music. (Special music is kind of a thing here - lots of people feel we don't have enough of it right now - choir is the only "regular" special music.)

The congregation doesn't sing during it, but that doesn't feel like the main part of what makes special music special - because if the praise team (who is there every week) sings a song on their own, it not only *doesn't* feel special, it tends to be perceived negatively, like the congregation is being excluded.

In our church, it would be more of the first definition. It might not necessarily be someone from outside the church, but it wouldn't be something typically done. I'm not sure that's what we'd call it, but special music wouldn't the the second definition.

I've not heard "special music" as having any official definition at my Presbyterian church. In the traditional services there are hymns then there is the music in which the congregation doesn't sing -- the offertory and the "ministry of music", which is usually the choir's weekly anthem. We have a number of singing groups and instrumental groups that fill the sanctuary with music when the plate is being passed or during communion. We also have a "concert in worship" once a year where the choir and orchestra play a large sacred choral work tied to the season. During the summer the choir takes a break and we instrumentalists and solo vocalists get more chances to do something special.

The contemporary service is not so varied. There is the praise team with the leader, band, vocalists, twice monthly choir. People tell me it is special when I play my violin in those services, does that count? I'll leave the definition of "special" in that circumstance open to your own interpretation! :laugh:

Then there is special music when a group of us decide to play bluegrass gospel during donut time after the service, or music for special events.

Thanks. That is what I thought. I wanted to make sure it was a widespread thing and not limited to my denomination. (I referred to "special music" in a conversation and was misunderstood......the person thought it was more of the first definition and when I clarified, I was told "well, maybe at YOUR church")

a certain time in the weekly service where music is performed and the congregation does not take part (could be a pianist, soloist, choir music, etc.)

At every church and every denomination I've been to, it has been this.

a certain time in the weekly service where music is performed and the congregation does not take part. might be a guest or a member of the congregation.

This. In my church special musical numbers happen once or twice a month usually.