Menu

My dd's thoughts on the Brady Bunch

fairfarmhand

why - yes the 70's were a very ugly decade. the 'popular' colors were avocado green, harvest gold, and brown. the late 60's were pretty bad too.

Don't forget yellow and orange. And mushrooms. Shag carpet. :huh:

Happily, the women in my family were not big on keeping up with decorating styles and so I never had to deal with 60s "style;" and in the 70s, Mr. Ellie and I were poor enough that there wasn't lots of decorating going on with the current decor. I admit to having a canister set with cute yellow and orange mushrooms, though.

Come to think of it, the 50s weren't so hot, either.

I wonder what our children and g-children will say about the 80s, 90s, and '00s? :laugh:

Yeah, but those colors came back and they just called them Sage and Tuscan Yellow :-/

Oh, no--sage and avocado green are totally different colors. Gold and tuscan yellow aren't quite the same, either.

No, nothing is as nauseous as avocado green and gold. ::looks for the spit-up smiley::

Happily, the women in my family were not big on keeping up with decorating styles and so I never had to deal with 60s "style;" and in the 70s, Mr. Ellie and I were poor enough that there wasn't lots of decorating going on with the current decor. I admit to having a canister set with cute yellow and orange mushrooms, though.

I wonder what our children and g-children will say about the 80s, 90s, and '00s? :laugh:

I'm pretty sure I remember a set of canisters like that in my Mom's kitchen when I was little kid.

And orange paired with avocado green...not just carpets but even appliances! :)

The stove/oven in our current rental is black painted over the avocado green. Not that I like the green, but I'm sure it'd look better than half peeled off black paint.

I'm quite certain we had those canisters in our house, too. Thanks for bringing back the memory. :001_smile:

Of course, most people IRL didn't usually have whole houses decorated in the current style. They had furniture and accessories and whatnot that they loved and hung on to, or passed-down-from-ancestors pieces, regardless of what current fashion was. For that we can be truly thankful, lol.

our house was built in 1973, we bought it in 1994. Every room except for the kitchen and one bedroom was painted avacado green with green shag carpet. The stairway had green flocked wallpaper. The kitchen had dark brown with tiny gold flowers wallpaper, harvest gold appiances , dark brown cabinets and bright gross yellow counters and floor. The 3rd bedroom was mustard yellow with yellow shag carpet. When dh and I took up all that shag carpet, we found the original oak floors underneath.

I am very thankful that mom enjoyed and collected antiques before they became fashionable. Even the kitchen of the house she and dad built in the late 60's does not look too bad by today's standards and not it has not been remodeled. She has replaced the wall-mounted oven and the refrigerator but that is it.

Oh, no--sage and avocado green are totally different colors. Gold and tuscan yellow aren't quite the same, either.

No, nothing is as nauseous as avocado green and gold. ::looks for the spit-up smiley::

My mil painted MAHOGANY furniture avocado green . . . . . they were never the same, even after being stripped and turned back in to mahogany pieces. needless to say, dh loathes that color with a deep and abiding passion. my mother had the correlle with the 'avocado green' flower border. even then I thought they were ugly. why couldn't she have gotten the blue? or even the gold would have been less depressing. My mother was the only one in her family who went for the two-tone green shag carpet. I remember coming home from school and thinking "why????" blech, blech, blech.

In a few years she can watch some Mad Men to see the real tragedy of how we got from the early 60s to THAT. What word means the opposite of progress?

regression, declension, retrogression, decay.

our house was built in 1973, we bought it in 1994. Every room except for the kitchen and one bedroom was painted avacado green with green shag carpet. The stairway had green flocked wallpaper. The kitchen had dark brown with tiny gold flowers wallpaper, harvest gold appiances , dark brown cabinets and bright gross yellow counters and floor. The 3rd bedroom was mustard yellow with yellow shag carpet. When dh and I took up all that shag carpet, we found the original oak floors underneath.

you have my deepest condolences. but on the bright side, just ripping that stuff out, and painting over it should have increased your equity substantially.

:blink: :ack2: :svengo:

That's just wrong on so many levels. Even I, who was a young married wife and mother in the 70s, would not under any circumstances "decorated" my house like that.

My mil painted MAHOGANY furniture avocado green . . . . . they were never the same, even after being stripped and turned back in to mahogany pieces. needless to say, dh loathes that color with a deep and abiding passion. my mother had the correlle with the 'avocado green' flower border. even then I thought they were ugly. why couldn't she have gotten the blue? or even the gold would have been less depressing. My mother was the only one in her family who went for the two-tone green shag carpet. I remember coming home from school and thinking "why????" blech, blech, blech.

OMG.

I bought a Duncan Phyfe dining room table and 6 chairs for $125 at a thrift store. It had been *antiqued* with a "wood grain." What were those people thinking????

. my mother had the correlle with the 'avocado green' flower border. even then I thought they were ugly. why couldn't she have gotten the blue? or even the gold would have been less depressing. My mother was the only one in her family who went for the two-tone green shag carpet. I remember coming home from school and thinking "why????" blech, blech, blech.

My grandmother had that green Corelle (kept next to the mushroom canisters and that horrific clown cookie jar). Of course, she also had plastic covers on all her furniture and lampshades as well as a thick plastic runner across her green shag carpet. All watched over by the enormous paint-by-number Gainsborough. Niiiice.

The 90s had their missteps too, of course. I visited somebody last week and her entire house was decorated in burgundy and forest green. I've never seen so much drapery. The whole thing looked as if it had been designed by the goofy hosts of that old HGTV show, Room By Room.

I am curious to see what my grandchildren find funny about my decorating style. Maybe my distaste for window coverings will seem hilariously dated. "Look at this picture from 2013. Grandma's windows are all NAKED!"

I will say, though, that my grandmother's house (with the copious paint-by-numbers [some on velvet]) did have the coolest bathroom ever. Pink and black tile, black fixtures including an enormous black tub with glass doors and a huge, circular mirror. It looked like an art deco bordello, and I still think it was just beautiful.

why - yes the 70's were a very ugly decade. the 'popular' colors were avocado green, harvest gold, and brown. the late 60's were pretty bad too.

Yep. I was there too. I cringe when I think of the clothes we wore in the 60's and 70's. I remember this one particularly beautiful (I thought) polyester pantsuit with a Nehru top (with 2 zippers, one on each side of my chest!) that I just HAD to have. :laugh: It costs a whopping $20.00, but somehow my Mom managed to buy it for me. Interestingly, I still love the color all these decades later (aqua).