Menu

Riker Sits Down

Kathryn

That's hilarious. I never noticed that!

He even does it in front of Guinan. :001_huh: :lol:

I wonder if that is something Jonathan Frakes does, or if it is something he gave his character to emphasize the traits of Riker being aggressive and manly.

That was funny.

Those have to be outtakes, right? I mean, I seriously have watched the series twice, plus all the shows I have caught on reruns here and there and never noticed this. In a few of them, it looked like he was trying not to grin, so I do wonder.

Now I feel the need to go check....

Too funny!

Here's the supposed reason from this article:

UPDATE: A Reddit user said that Frakes' chair-sitting style was caused by a back injury (and a user who appears to be Frakes' castmate Wil Wheaton added the comment "confirmed...I served on the Enterprise with Riker for 5 years." Thanks to Evelyn J for the Reddit tip.) Well, however Frakes came up with this chair-domination strategy, we're on board.

Too funny!

Here's the supposed reason from this article:

UPDATE: A Reddit user said that Frakes' chair-sitting style was caused by a back injury (and a user who appears to be Frakes' castmate Wil Wheaton added the comment "confirmed...I served on the Enterprise with Riker for 5 years." Thanks to Evelyn J for the Reddit tip.) Well, however Frakes came up with this chair-domination strategy, we're on board.

LOVE the commentary on that page!

I was a kid when TNG came on but I already knew Riker was a DORK!! I cringed at him then, now I find him funny.

Dork?! He is supposed to be the new Kirk!

:lol:

But yeah, mostly he's just adorable in a "let me smile and pat you on your head" way.

For the real nerds among you, in the TNG pocket books they address this once or twice. I remember reading it once and laughing because Counselor Troi says something like, "I knew you had dreams of being a startship captain but is the chair thing some frustated cowboy fantasy we need to discuss?"