Menu

First AP out of the way!

Yeah!

AP Chemistry was done this morning. We didn't expect it to be easy, and it wasn't. DS wasn't as prepared as we wanted him to be. Long story.

We'll most likely be cancelling that one in the long run. But oh well... At least he tried and it's now over

Tomorrow morning, Computer Science! Now that one he's prepared for.

Congratulations on his hard work! I think preparing and taking these tests is worth something even if they don't perform as well as they'd like.

The Just Knight takes his first on Monday. He's studied very hard all semester but, now he's dragging his feet. He wants to play MineCraft all evening every evening. I think he's nervous about the test. We'll see how he does.

Good luck to your ds tomorrow!

Denise

My daughter has only Calc BC this year, and it is Wednesday. She has had a fabulous teacher (STEM magnet) and feels confident of a 5. No guarantees, of course, but she is looking forward to it. She took APs with this high school's kids for the last two years as a homeschooler, and they could not have been more welcoming. I am looking forward to volunteering to drive kids back and forth from school to the testing site, providing snacks, etc. to pay them back somewhat for their hospitality. They provide muffins in the morning, cookies in the afternoon, water, back-up calculators and batteries, smiling faces. Our experience with their AP testing is what made us consider sending her there in the first place.

It has been interesting to hear her relay her teacher's anxieties over their performance. She says she feels like a mother bird whose babies are learning to fly, and she isn't sure they can fly very well. See, it isn't just homeschool teachers who get nervous for their babies!

We're done for the year!!!

He says he felt it was easy. Phew. Now we can breathe. He still has Math and French to finish the school year, and the paperwork, but he is now getting 2 days off. He crammed so hard for his chemistry.. Cramming is not good, but it's better to try it now than in college.

ooh Laura, our boys had chem together! ;-)

Oh, was your son in Mr Moskaluk's class?! How fun!

It was the first time my son has felt a bit worried about a test ... it was odd to see him not his usual confident, cheery self. He felt well prepared by the class, just that it was a LOT of material.

My other son, on the other hand, was definitely NOT well prepared by his public-school teacher for the Enviro Sci exam; plus apparently they changed the format/content of that test this year, so his prep books were basically useless. We are not expecting a very good score or even necessarily a "passing" grade for him.

This is why my other son did chemistry *this* year and will do German next year, squeaking in before the tests are radically changed ...

Oh, was your son in Mr Moskaluk's class?! How fun!

No, he prepared himself at home. I only meant that they were sitting on the same exam. DS was late in his study of chemistry then crammed 5 weeks through an AP Chemistry prep book. That's pretty much all he did. No idea how it will turn out. He is a fast learner, but we're expecting a 3. I'm considering this a life lesson: cramming is not good.

Dd is so ready for Lit tomorrow but is a mess about Bio next Monday. I will make sure her sister never takes an AP the first year after a change!

My son is getting ready for Bio on Monday as well. I was so excited last night because I checked in on the "2013 AP biology" thread over on College Confidential, and someone had posted a link that a school had put up for the AP bio practice exam that the College Board had released this year for AP teachers! it had everything--even the words that the teacher will say before the sections, so that in taking it the kids could have as close to the actual experience as possible. It was a full exam too (all 63 multiple choice questions, plus 6 grid-ins, 2 long essay, and 6 short essay), unlike the sample problems hidden in the course description, which are about the only other released practice questions for this new exam.

So I bookmarked it and didn't print it off, because it was a 132 page document. But this morning, the link was taken down. Sigh. I was so bummed! if only I had gotten my syllabus approved last summer! Oh well . . .

I will say I'm more nervous about the exam than my son or the other 3 boys that I've taught the class to this year. I'm going to have an ulcer Monday morning, while they're gone!

Dd is so ready for Lit tomorrow but is a mess about Bio next Monday. I will make sure her sister never takes an AP the first year after a change!

Here, too. The 2013 BioAP is one exam I will happy to see in the rear-view mirrow.

On a lighter note, DD#1 took the CalcBC exam this morning. Her LAST high school math class, ever. :svengo:

There will be plenty more where that came from at college, I know. It's just weird for her not to have an official "math class" going on. She has never - not even summers - not been taking math class since the summer before 8th grade. What will she do with herself?? :lol:

No, he prepared himself at home. I only meant that they were sitting on the same exam. DS was late in his study of chemistry then crammed 5 weeks through an AP Chemistry prep book. That's pretty much all he did. No idea how it will turn out. He is a fast learner, but we're expecting a 3. I'm considering this a life lesson: cramming is not good.

Oh, well, that's still fun! :) (sitting on the same exam, I mean ... not the cramming!)

Yes, I LOVE it when my boys learn life lessons NOW, while they're still at home and the consequences are relatively benign ...

Of course my ps son has said multiple times now that he shouldn't have left something until the last minute. Now he has to actually start working on the next thing earlier ... it might take a while for the head-knowledge to translate into actual action ... but at least he is saying/learning these things himself, instead of Mom nagging ... :)

You know German has already changed, right? It was new in 2012, I think.

Oh, thanks -- I guess I got confused! At any rate, back when I did the long-term plans, I made sure my son wouldn't be taking any AP the first year it was changed ... so I guess we're still set for German :)

... Aha!!! that would explain why the College Board isn't selling any released German exams ... because there would be no point until after this year's test is over. I'll mark the calendar for checking back with them in late summer ...

My ds did AP Lit today ... he didn't prepare as NYU where he is going doesn't let him off any classes with it, but as we had paid I wanted him to take it anyway. The topic for the essay did not work for any of the books he had read this year and he ended up having to use Scarlet Letter which he did at the beginning of last year - so not sure how well that went! He said the MC questions were easy.

My DS (public high school) has lit/comp this morning and stats this afternoon. He's gonna have a fun day! There are seven kids taking both exams. The stats teacher is bringing them lunch from Subway. :laugh:

Oh, how nice of the teacher! My son LOVES Subway :)

... I guess his stats teacher can't bring him food -- it's Blue Hen from these boards and she's on the other side of the country (I wish I could "tag" her so she'd see this post, haha!).

My hs'd son is also taking both English (Lang) and Stats today ... he'll be SO glad to be done!

He (uncharacteristically) had a headache last night ... of course he biked all over town with some friends, including going to see Iron Man 3 ....

DD would love to know what y'all know about prepping for AP Music Theory. She plans to take it in 12th. She's done well in exams in the UK system and is now in Grade 7 ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music). We hear that: (a) US terms are quite different; and (B) the AP Music Theory exam is a bear. We haven't delved into the Course Description yet. We know it's a morning exam. Five hours? :crying: There must be something very time-consuming besides just the test-taking. Administration, set-up, logistics of a large group? Wildiris, can you fill us in?

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/AP_Exam_Format.pdf

Section I

75 questions (approximately 80 minutes)

Section II

45% Part A Dictation, Part writing, Composition:7 exercises (approximately 68 minutes)

10% Part B Sight-singing: 2 exercises (approximately 8 minutes per student)

Oh, how nice of the teacher! My son LOVES Subway :)

... I guess his stats teacher can't bring him food -- it's Blue Hen from these boards and she's on the other side of the country (I wish I could "tag" her so she'd see this post, haha!).

LOL! Wouldn't that be fun! I love Subway too.

DD would love to know what y'all know about prepping for AP Music Theory.

My ds took it with PA Homeschoolers. We weren't thrilled with the course, but it was the teacher's first year so it may have improved. He did get a 5, but he did a lot of work on his own since the teacher wasn't doing enough test prep in our opinion.

:eek: Oh, no! :eek: What is this about the APs changing next year? Do any of you have more info about that? My son will be taking APUSH, Comp Sci and Language and Composition, and the older he gets, the less motivated he becomes. Ack!

Congrats to all your kids and I hope they do well! :)

Cleo -

I'd vote good. There are more 'reliable' prep materials available, and I think it's easier to judge how well your student is prepared before the exam.

I'm sure there are upsides to being the "guinea pig class" - but I can't think of any right now. My dd did the bio this year and it was definitely more stressful for her.

Jen

Cleo -

I'd vote good. There are more 'reliable' prep materials available, and I think it's easier to judge how well your student is prepared before the exam.

I agree. My poor youngest dd did French and bio the year they changed, German in its second year, and she'll do chem next year. There's not really anything we can do about it. If we wait until they have reliable prep books and released exams available, she'll be out of high school. But as we repeatedly tell her -- everyone's in the same boat.

One thing -- are you sure about the schedule above? I thought Spanish had changed a few years back -- before French and German.

Interesting ... Spanish is in a continual state of revision ...? When my dh was researching the new French exam at the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, he was reading the Spanish teacher forums because their exam had already changed and people were expecting the French to be similar. This http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/courses/teachers_corner/50015.html says it changed in 2009. I guess I'm glad we're not doing Spanish!