Menu

CC stolen. AGAIN

Tess in the Burbs

We paid off all our CC. But stupid me in an effort to get a better deal on Amazon got one of their cards. And stupid me has been using it randomly.

I got my toes done at a newer nail place with a friend the other night. Used the card. By lunch I had the CC company texting and calling me. It had been used for all sorts of things. The normal computer software, p*rn sites, petco(??) and more. While on the phone he had more charges coming in.

I am thankful they were quick to catch it. They closed it immediately and new card arrives today.

But what if this had been my debit card? They weren't so quick last summer when it got stolen. Took them months to investigate and reverse charges.

So while I don't want to use a CC it seems in the case of stolen CC's to be the better/faster fix than the bank card.

Anyway, it stinks. But it definitely made me not spend anything on it yesterday :-D

And no more nail salons for me. Doing my own toes from now on!

At least they caught it! Glad they could take care of it quickly.

We've had a lot of CC fraud issues lately, which makes me very reluctant to use our bank card. Seems that it's much easier to take care of CC fraud than bank card fraud.

Oh! My mom had her bank card number stolen last summer too - someone tried to charge $117,000. Really. Who keeps that kind of cash in their checking account? Not my mother! Needless to say, that was caught quickly, and caused nothing but laughter. :)

Oh my gosh, reality is they couldn't spend as much on my bank card. But yes, the CC seems to respond faster than the bank. Their attitude last year wasn't nice. I had to call them. I had to ask/fax form to get investigation going. I had to ask card to be closed. it was a pain! But using the CC and paying off monthly hasn't worked lately. Everyone always "needs" something beyond the budget ....

but wow, 117,000 that is FUNNY

Oh my gosh, reality is they couldn't spend as much on my bank card. But yes, the CC seems to respond faster than the bank. Their attitude last year wasn't nice. I had to call them. I had to ask/fax form to get investigation going. I had to ask card to be closed. it was a pain! But using the CC and paying off monthly hasn't worked lately. Everyone always "needs" something beyond the budget ....

Sure they are faster....it is their money instead of yours! LOL

Sorry it happened. I agree with it being safer to use a credit card than a debit card. It doesn't help with decrease the likely hood of someone who gets a stack of numbers from hacking a site, but it does help to minimize those servers/cashiers who steal the information for their own use.

We keep two checking accounts, one just for debit. It never has much in it, especially now that we can transfer money on our phones! The bank does have to refund your money...eventually. We do not have overdraft on that account. If we ever screw up and forget to transfer, it would be declined and we'd simply use another card. We don't even have checks for that account. We generally use a CC for the cashback, but if that's not working for you, a smaller debit account may.

Debit cards do not have the same legal protections that CC's have. It is safer to use a CC.

In the past 20 years we've had our CC number stolen 2x's. I think the first time was because I bought something from a small online retailer (didn't use paypal, because I hate them). The second time my dh's card number was stolen after he used it at a gas station. Both times it was caught quickly and weren't out a cent.

Debit cards do not have the same legal protections that CC's have. It is safer to use a CC.

The Visa Debit Card does. We always select "credit" when we use it. In fact, sometimes it has too much protection. Ds and I recently traveled to a different part of Florida, and dh went out of state for a funeral of a family friend. Visa apparently noticed our cards were being used separately in very different locations, and placed a hold on the cards. I had to call to get them released. I was angry that I couldn't use my card, but had to concede they were quick to notice something out of the ordinary.

Tess, I'm sorry that happened to you.

The Visa Debit Card does. We always select "credit" when we use it. In fact, sometimes it has too much protection. Ds and I recently traveled to a different part of Florida, and dh went out of state for a funeral of a family friend. Visa apparently noticed our cards were being used separately in very different locations, and placed a hold on the cards. I had to call to get them released. I was angry that I couldn't use my card, but had to concede they were quick to notice something out of the ordinary.

Tess, I'm sorry that happened to you.

I didn't know you could select "credit" and have it work as a debit on your account. That's very interesting . I just know that there are different laws governing "credit" cards and debit. Don't know why they never extended the same protections to debit cards.

I didn't know you could select "credit" and have it work as a debit on your account. That's very interesting . I just know that there are different laws governing "credit" cards and debit. Don't know why they never extended the same protections to debit cards.

As long as it is "backed by Visa" or Mastercard, they can be used as a credit card. If your debit card has a Visa (or MC) logo on it you can use it as a credit card.

If your debit card has the visa or mastercard logo on it, you most certainly can hit credit instead of debit when you purchase. The only difference is that debit is immediate and credit takes a day or so to come out of the account.

If your debit card has the visa or mastercard logo on it, you most certainly can hit credit instead of debit when you purchase. The only difference is that debit is immediate and credit takes a day or so to come out of the account.

Also, you can't get cash back when you choose credit, but that's never a problem for me. If you're used to getting cash with your card, it would be an inconvenience.

About a year or so ago someone hacked into my Paypal account and used my debit card to charge $900 on ebay. It took me two weeks to get the money back. I now just use credit cards on PayPal, I have one with a $500 limit that I just pay after I charge something.

I think this may just be your bank. I had an unauthorized charge on my debit card recently and, yes, I had to initiate the investigation because they had no way of knowing it wasn't me using my debit card online. I use my debit card for everything! However, a quick phone call to card services and they immediately froze the card, sent me a new card, gave me a provisional credit for the amount deducted, opened an investigation, sent me an affidavit to sign, and made the credit permanent within a month. Their attitude was pleasant, understanding, and they never seemed to doubt my version of events. The whole thing was resolved relatively painlessly.

I think this may just be your bank. I had an unauthorized charge on my debit card recently and, yes, I had to initiate the investigation because they had no way of knowing it wasn't me using my debit card online. I use my debit card for everything! However, a quick phone call to card services and they immediately froze the card, sent me a new card, gave me a provisional credit for the amount deducted, opened an investigation, sent me an affidavit to sign, and made the credit permanent within a month. Their attitude was pleasant, understanding, and they never seemed to doubt my version of events. The whole thing was resolved relatively painlessly.

This was my exact experience, too. There were 4 or 5 charges total before I caught it, but I had my money back ASAP with the caveat that if I were fraudulently reporting the charges they would take the money out again. I got a follow up email when the investigation was complete that all reversed charges were permanent.

Then again, I'm probably in the minority in that I love my bank/insurance company. Their customer service is magnificent.

I feel you. We had an issue while we are the Cincinnati homeschool convention. I got an email about possible fraud, then my husbands card was declined at a booth. I called the cc company because I thought maybe it was just all of the out of town charges. However, my husband hasn't used his card up until that decline and it was his card that had the suspected fraud. So I shut his card down, and they assured me I could use mine. And then mine got declined! I called them back, threw a fit and they fixed mine and kept his inactive.

When I returned home I did find a false "PayPal" charge on my credit card account that was not listed on my Paypal statement. It was only $87, not a lot in the scheme of things but it caused a headache while out of town and no way to really research the charges.

Last year we had our debit card number stolen three times. Luckily all I had to do was make a quick call and the charges were reversed and I was required to fill out some paperwork. The most inconvenient part was the three days without the card since I never carry cash. Even with it happening three times in such a short amount of time, they never once questioned it. Luckily the charges were very unusual for us ($250 for dinner?!) and they were far away so it was easy to prove fraud. The women I spoke with mentioned that the worst places for using a debit card are gas stations and restaurants. Those are some of the places I really prefer to use a debit card since they always seem to put a hold on the account and the actual charge takes days to go through.

At our bank we can access our credit card and bank account online. You might look into using your credit card exclusively and then just transferring the balance directly from your bank account. When I do that I can make an instant payment from my phone or computer.

I'm glad they caught it so fast; it is totally a pain in the rear. Someone got my debit card last year, and now I'm almost terrified to use it anymore. (They did not catch it quickly btw.) Two days ago our Visa company called about a bunch of charges...It was me b-day shopping for ds... :scared: