Menu

POLL: Spelling K-4

Trivium Academy

What did you successfully use for Spelling K-4?  

1. 1. What did you successfully use for Spelling K-4?

• Nothing, taught only through reading and writing. No curriculum.
    • Spelling curriculum, workbook or similar.
    • Part of a total language arts program.
    • Used a spelling resource to teach it on your own, such as ABC's and all their Tricks
    • Didn't teach spelling at all.

So far, Sequential Spelling is the only thing that has helped my oldest spell at all.

Meanwhile, my 8 yr old seems to be able to spell anything after seeing a word twice, and is doing great with Spelling Workout. I'm not quite ready to let go of the curriculum with him yet, though he might do fine without it. :p

After reading about Studied Dictation on Lindafay's blog: http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2006/09/teaching-spelling-through-studied.html

we gave it a try. It has been a huge success here, and I've seen great improvement in my dc's spelling. We use CW, and on the day set aside for dictation, they study the passage for a few minutes and then I dictate. Simple and effective because spelling is taught in context, rather than in meaningless lists. It works for us.

Tried SW - wasn't wild about it.

Dd7 then switched to Evan-Moor's Spell & Write gr 2 and that's been going really well. Like that a lot.

Thinking for 3rd grade to switch to Natural Speller (or Sequential Spelling).

And....will use All About Spelling for dd-almost 6.

:D

Sorry, I couldn't use the poll because each of my children is so different. I did a course with my eldest when we first pulled her out of ps, but she didn't need it. She's a natural speller. We did Spelling Power for a while, but she didn't really need it.

But my second failed with that because she got so many words wrong. This year she's doing A Beka (I bought it for our first year) but it doesn't work alone--we use it for the lists. She has to learn it kinesthetically by copying the words out by themselves. Copying them in sentences fails--and she doesn't need that for the meaning anyway.

Ds is doing ETC, which didn't do much for my second's spelling, although it helped.

We started with Spelling Workout for 1st grade last year and didn't like it. This year (2nd) I bought Natural Speller and we are just working our way through the 1st/2nd grade list, nothing fancy. I think my daughter is a natural speller so probably anything would work for her.

I'm not sure if we will stick with Natural Speller for next year. I really think I want something that is more prepared. I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else is using.

After reading about Studied Dictation on Lindafay's blog: http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2006/09/teaching-spelling-through-studied.html

we gave it a try. It has been a huge success here, and I've seen great improvement in my dc's spelling. We use CW, and on the day set aside for dictation, they study the passage for a few minutes and then I dictate. Simple and effective because spelling is taught in context, rather than in meaningless lists. It works for us.

I like Spelling Workout because it has the exercises which addresses alphabetical order, proofreading, identifying vowel sounds, etc. I don't have a problem with it at all other than I wonder just how much of it is actually necessary. Am I wasting 20-30 minutes (depending on dwaddling) 2x a week on this?

A concern I have is the coverage of rules, roots, prefixes and the like, I'm going to ask Linda myself but I'd be interested in knowing how you're going to cover these things? With Spelling Workout, it's integrated. I just opened SWO D to take a look at it and other than the first exercise which applies to the rule of the lesson and the proofreading section- I don't see the purpose.

Thinking out loud...

I wasn't to crazy about SW....until I tried to teach it myself and I checked out other curriculum. I decided to try it again being at a loss for something I loved. I was searching because one of my dd has trouble across the board with recall. After going back to SW I started to love it. It practically teaches itself. I take a shower while my 2 darlin's do spelling.

I personally felt that it was wasteful. Especially since my daughter was bored and she knew how to spell most of the words at the beginning of each week. I like Spelling Power because it covers the rules and you only study the words you miss. Also, it doesn't feel like you're wasting your time because they take the most commonly used words in the English Language. I think you could use it with a good speller or a challenged speller. Plus there are so many great activities to do with your kids that really solidify the words in their heads. Not just writing the words over and over.

My two cents :)

Dorinda

I like Spelling Workout because it has the exercises which addresses alphabetical order, proofreading, identifying vowel sounds, etc. I don't have a problem with it at all other than I wonder just how much of it is actually necessary. Am I wasting 20-30 minutes (depending on dwaddling) 2x a week on this?

A concern I have is the coverage of rules, roots, prefixes and the like, I'm going to ask Linda myself but I'd be interested in knowing how you're going to cover these things? With Spelling Workout, it's integrated. I just opened SWO D to take a look at it and other than the first exercise which applies to the rule of the lesson and the proofreading section- I don't see the purpose.

Thinking out loud...

Really, it was just busywork for my children and (ahem)..it took me awhile to figure that out:rolleyes:

They are avid readers and, I believe, natural spellers as a result.

We use Kimber's copywork/dictation books now and catch spelling problems that way, but they are minimal and usually the result of carelessness, not ignorance.

So what has worked for us?

Having them read alot.

I didn't answer the poll because we haven't really succeeded with any spelling program. My oldest son did Spelling Power in 3rd and hated it because he is a perfectionist and didn't like getting words wrong everyday. Then he did A Reason for Spelling for two years, which I liked, but I had a hard time getting the story read every week and just didn't want another program that was so teacher intensive. This year we decide to try Spelling Workout. It is ok, but I feel like it is just busy work, but it is probably my fault for not buying the teachers manual. I am sure it gives more direction that would be helpful.

Anyway, recently on the sale & swap board, I bought Simply Spelling. I just received it yesterday, so I don't have a review yet, but thought others here might want to look at it. It is a Charlotte Mason approach, and it does include rules for copy work.

http://www.shoelacebooks.com

I was glad to see that because I stopped spelling curricula after first grade with my oldest son. I hated the fact that the traditional spelling programs are just lists for the child to memorize. I started just doing copywork and dictation. It seems to be working my youngest won his spelling bee competition and my oldest placed 2nd.

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Not too many people seem to use this, but it has been very beneficial. I didn't like the workbook style of spelling-it seemed like busy work for my sons. Spelling Plus has lists and then I add to them with words they have misspelled during their course of writing. So, on Monday, they get a pretest and have to write out each word they miss 5 times. Here's the meat of the program to me: Tuesday-Thursday I give them 4-5 dictation sentences that have spelling words in them. And then on Friday, I give them a post test. The thing I was finding is that they can spell the words on the pretest, but when I give the word in a sentence, they would get some wrong. Maybe they use a different part of the brain when writing sentences, I don't know:). The dictation part of the program has been SOOO helpful. They can spell really well now. This takes about 5 minutes on my part each day, so it's not labor intensive.

http://www.susancanthony.com/Books/sp.html

I just use the teacher book and dictation book.

We use the Spalding Method- the Writing Road to Reading. DD is a natural speller and learning the different phonograms and being able to break words down into each individual phonogram has been amazing for her. I'm continually amazed at the words she can spell at her age! Most of the time, she can spell the word before I "teach" it to her. WRTR has been s a big confidence boost for her.

I

A concern I have is the coverage of rules, roots, prefixes and the like, I'm going to ask Linda myself but I'd be interested in knowing how you're going to cover these things? With Spelling Workout, it's integrated. .

Jessica,

Sorry. I just saw your response to me. I share your concern there. We use Simply Spelling, which I think someone else recommended as well. Those types of word-study activities are included. You analyze the dictation passage. It's really the best of both worlds as far as spelling instruction goes. I've been really pleased.

I didn't vote because we use Simply Spelling (from Shoelace Books) and I wasn't sure what category it fell under.

Never-the-less, I and my ds's have never been more pleased. It incorporates so much through copywork ~penmanship, grammar, punctuation, form, diacratical markings, syllabication, and spelling (;)), not to mention wonderful Bible verses, prose, quotes, and more that are effortlessly memorized! And, it's a one-time purchase for the whole family.

I also love that it's easy to implement. They copy four days and dictate the fifth.

It's, without a doubt, my favorite purchase of the year!

Requested this from the library, I want to read this and understand more even if we don't use it. Your comment about your dd learning the different phonograms and break them down caught my eye. :)

SWR is also based on the Spalding methods. It can be quite an intense program, but you can also simplify it to meet your needs (like you or I could not modify something :D ).

You introduce words, working through them in a multi-sensory way. The child keeps their own logs of spelling rules and write the words down in the appropriate section. One of the gals has also created a system for alphabetizing the words, but I haven't used it to date. Then the child works on some grammar activities with the words and then at the end of the week they have a spelling test to make sure they have learned the words.

The nice thing about the WISE guide is that is has all the words broken down into spelling lists, with sentences and analysis of each word. Phonics is not my strong suite so sometimes I still need to look at the why. When we first started SWR I survived by looking at those little explanations because I didn't know my phonics or spelling rules...at lest I am improving. :cool: Even if you don't use SWR as prescribed and you just want a spelling list that breaks down the words by phonics and spelling rules you can make use of the WISE guide.

Heather

I know you've nixed SWO (and I totally respect your reasons!), but it has worked beautifully for us. We had a very strong start in phonics, and dd was reading very well before 1st grade, so I think it was a good time for us to start spelling. I have supplemented it with Adventures in Phonics, using C the last part of 1st and this year, working about 3 or 4 pages a week. I have to say, it has helped with the phonics rules--they just complement each other beautifully.

Interestingly, one of my avid readers is a great speller and the other is not (ds doesn't care to read yet!!! Only when he has to). In our case I think it's because my second is such a strong visual spatial learner (with a kinesthetic component) and spelling is often troublesome for vs learners.