Menu

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

MunRoLy

I think this has happened to me for years and years, but I never really thought about whether it happened to other people too. It doesn't happen very often, but it did once last week and then today which got me wondering... Basically out of the blue, for no reason at all the sounds around me become muffled and I hear a high pitched beep. The beep is constant and I can hear it very clearly, but no one else can. This only lasts for a few seconds...maybe 10 max. This might even go back to my childhood, but since it happens so infrequently I've never given it much thought and have assumed it happens to other people too. Anyone?

I know this is the 2nd time this week I have what someone else on this board has, but I swear I get that as well. It happens maybe once every few weeks - exactly as you described it. Whenever it happens I wonder what the heck it is. It reminds me of the old hearing tests we used to get at school when we'd wear those big earphones and raise whichever hand the beep/tone is on. I'll still raise my hand when it happens just to be weird, lol.

So glad to know someone else knows what I'm talking about! When it happened last week I was sitting at the dining room table doing math with my son. The beep was so loud I asked if he heard it. Of course he didn't and it went away as it always does.

Could it be your sinuses clearing? Something like this happens to me, but it is usually my sinuses clearing and it is so loud that I swear the person next to me should be able to hear it. It happens to my dad, also and I have actually heard it. Just throwing my experience out there.

I get that sometimes. I also get what my doctor dubbed "idiopathic familial tremors" which is a fancy way of saying that I have slight sudden tremors for no apparent reason and that others in my family report the same thing. This seems to happen in conjunction with the tinnitus. Because MS runs in my family (my dad and 3 of his siblings), I was proactive in getting tremors, ringing and auras checked out. Luckily, I do not have MS.

Yes, I've had this. Infrequently. I remember having it happen more often as a child.

Another weird one...I remember several times having what seemed like a bee flying through my head. It was a buzzing noise that would start, say, above my right eye. The buzzing would increase in intensity then suddenly swoop through my head to the opposite 'corner'. It was very intense and such a strange feeling. I had it several times as a child, but only once that I remember as an adult and that time was actually a bit painful. Curious if anyone else has experienced it, I've never tried to describe it before.