Menu

Can we have a civil conversation about Catholicism?

Moxie

I'm not against the Church's stance on birth control. I don't need a book on it as I'm too old to need BC. Other options, doctor's prescription, causes etc I can't comment on intelligently as I'm not a doctor.

But I'm interested in the message in the media, which is very stark.

Well, then I'm confused. You said that you wanted the Church to listen more to women's POV. I asked for an example. You gave the example of birth control. I was not suggesting that you personally needed the resources I mentioned, I was giving them as examples that show that the Church is not merely talk but is actually trying to help women within their own principles. You are not against the stance; you just think it limits women's POV? Is that what you meant?

Now you say you are interested in the media's message. The media is nearly always wrong about Catholicism. But if this is what you meant, can you give me a link to an example? I do not pay attention to mainstream media coverage of Catholicism, because, as I said, it's usually not reliable.

Also, I don't think I've ever heard a priest rant about birth control.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as parishes grumbling about married priests, my experience is quite the opposite. My college aged daughter did get weirded out seeing the priest at the pool with his kids when she was in her skimpy bathing suit. But that was her issue! Certainly military priests could afford a family and we are so in need as less and less dioceses are releasing priests to serve in the military.

My home town priest is 88 years old and has been at my parish for 45 years. He often has to cover the utility costs from his meager salary. He is forced by the diocese these last few years to take Mondays off. No vacations, no BMWs, no fancy meals. He is the kindest, gentlest man alive.

But, I have also known a creep or two. Unfortunately, saintly men like my pastor don't make headlines.

Is your question just for Catholics?

I didn't know the Church made the claim of semper idem until I read this article recently (and I was born/raised RC). http://www.ligonier....ming-the-tiber/

Why are you so adamant that the RCC WILL NEVER change the two things you mentioned when it has changed its stance on a huge issue such as justification?

How can a pope make changes? I don't understand how that works.

You know, if you do a search for "semper idem" and Catholicism, you get page after page of anti-Catholic screeds. If you search the Catechism of the Catholic Church for "semper idem," you get... nothing.

Well, are you reading Catholic sources or getting your information from secular news? I mean, the ridiculousness going on in the news about the resignation of the pope -- secular news is grasping to fill minutes. They might as well get some tin cans and a crayon. They're so ignorant on what they are speaking of, it's actually sad, so you really can't listen to them concerning church matters.

Yeah, the RCC is always forthcoming with accurate information. For example, look at how open they have been regarding the sexual abuse...oh, wait. Never mind.

If you read Humanae Vitae and Casti Connubbi, it really helps in the understanding of why. These are not arbitrary Man rules. The encyclicals are actually quite amazing and profound. (actually, read Casti first) They are actually empowering to women. Some of the most revered saints int he church are women, don't forget.

The church does allow BC for women who medically need it, but who will not use it as birth control.

I have a Catholic friend who got her priest's blessing (? Right word) for bc because she had heart failure after her last birth and though she wanted more children, it was too much of a risk. She would almost certainly have died.

I actually have never known a priest who lived separately in a house. The parish I went to growing up had the rectory attached on one side and the convent on the other. I was never in the rectory, but I was given a tour of the convent, and it was dorm style living. In our church now, they don't live at the church but in a friary with other priests and monks. Neither of those would accommodate families.

There are two kinds of priests: priests who are part of a diocese and priests who are part of an order like the Franciscans or Jesuits. Diocesan priests do not take a vow of poverty. Priests who are part of orders do. The priests I've known have had very little in the way of material goods. They do however need a reliable car since they do so much driving.

I live literally right next door to the Catholic rectory where our one and only priest lives. It is across the street from the church and where the Nuns used to live. The house is at least 3000+ sq. feet and beautiful, so they could accommodate families, but I don't see how it's relevant. According to Catholicism for Dmmies, he owns his own car and pays for his own insurance. It is a modest car and he has to drive to help at a very tiny rural church sometimes, too. Certainly he is not rich. Oh my. He even hangs all his laundry and does a lot of the landscaping!

I do not think marriage would solve sex abuse issues. Married men and men in relationships are convicted of sex abuse every day.

Yeah, the RCC is always forthcoming with accurate information. For example, look at how open they have been regarding the sexual abuse...oh, wait. Never mind.

The post you're referencing is in regards to the Church's teaching on contraception. I certainly think the Church is very open about its stance. It's also much more nuanced than the media would have you believe.

I'm sorry and my above post really wasn't about this issue. It was more about the issue of it must be truly awful to be a priest and know that you, yourself are not a slime bag, but your profession is basically being painted with that one brush stroke because nothing good about what you do ever gets reported. That's all. I didn't mean that it was bad that this has all come out in the open. IT NEEDED TO BE BROUGHT TO LIGHT! It's just without any balance, it must hit the priesthood, the Godly, compassionate, servant minded men very, very hard.

And you are right, this is spawned from the lack of checks and balances that should have been in place to expose evil and get justice. So, I guess it's that good old verse "you reap what you sow" coming back to haunt the priesthood. However, on behalf of my Catholic brothers and sisters everywhere that have been mightily blessed by a God loving, upright priest, I do wish that sometimes, the good stories would get a little press.

I meant no harm towards anyone hurt by the actions of reprehensible priests. I did not mean to downplay your pain. Please forgive me if I have done so.

Faith

Actually, this goes back to why Pope Benedict resigned, too, because he saw how slow JP was to react to the scandal because of his poor health, and Benedict didn't want to have his health and age impact the church in a negative way.

I haven't read replies, but I have heard that celibacy for priests is one issue on the table. I understand this is a sensitive issue, but I personally would love to see the Church open to making celibacy optional for priests. The Orthodox Church allows priests to marry, some married men can become Catholic priests under certain circumstances, and of course the Byzantine Catholic Church allows married priests. The Church is starving for priests and if they opened their doors to devout Catholic men who are married I think you would see more men come knocking for the job.

The permanent diaconate is open to married men. It was reestablished 30 years ago. The option is there.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this out when I read about it recently. I think most non-Catholics probably do not know this. I have a feeling it might encourage more if it was more common knowledge. We have a big shortage in this area. At Mass on Sunday, they even prayed for it especially.

Is your question just for Catholics?

I didn't know the Church made the claim of semper idem until I read this article recently (and I was born/raised RC). http://www.ligonier....ming-the-tiber/

Why are you so adamant that the RCC WILL NEVER change the two things you mentioned when it has changed its stance on a huge issue such as justification?

How can a pope make changes? I don't understand how that works.

You are going to have to explain further the "claim of semper idem," since it is not something any of us are finding in any official Catholic sources. And the Church has NOT changed its stance on justification either. Dogma does not change. Practices can change, but official dogma will not and does not. No Pope has the power to change dogma.

We may one day have married priests again. Priestly celibacy is tradition not dogma.

We will not have women priests. As much as it bugs my feminism side, I can't behind women priests. Girl alter servers? Yes. Women priests, no.

Birth control won't change. Ever.

I can't see the church's stance on Gay Marriage ever changing.

We may go back to the TLM and start phasing out the NO if the new pope is a traditionalist. Personally I'd like to see a merging of the two. I like mass in the vernacular. I miss the parts of the TLM that are missing. I miss Georgian chant. And several other things that should be brought back.

:iagree:

It's funny to see the news media question this, as if the gay marrage issue could ever be "resolved" by the church in a culturally acceptable way. It can't be.

But married priests, changes in the liturgy, better response to the sex abuse problem, all that can be addressed. (not women priests, I don't think) Pope John Paul II went a long way toward apolozing for the sins of the church in the past, it was a hallmark of his pontificate.

In regard to the "semper idem", any Catholic who has lived through V2 can attest that "always the same" is a load of bunk. And the blog linked is an anti-Catholic blog. One of those "you are out of your mind if you want to convert to Catholicism" blogs. So, of course, it isn't going to be warm and fuzzy toward the church.

You are going to have to explain further the "claim of semper idem," since it is not something any of us are finding in any official Catholic sources. And the Church has NOT changed its stance on justification either. Dogma does not change. Practices can change, but official dogma will not and does not. No Pope has the power to change dogma.

As I said earlier (I hope), I didn't even know about "semper idem" until I read that article. The OP wants to talk about changes, and I guess I'm confused regarding who can make and when can changes be made in the RCC? In regards to ANY of the topics mentioned.

Like the OP, I have heard a lot in the news about what difference there will be in the church depending on who's chosen as Pope.

As far as justification, if Protestants used to be considered anathema and now arecalled a type of brethren, something must have changed in regards to who is and is not justified (right with God). [if you are using a different definition for justification, this will not make sense].

Off to a play date. If you have a website that explains @ how changes are made in the RCC, I am interested.

I can't find anything post-1962 on semper idem. Which is why it is SO important to check your sources when looking for information on the internet. There is so much bad information out there. The Catholic Church has an official guide in the CCC that explains what we believe. It is not some big secret.

In regard to the "semper idem", any Catholic who has lived through V2 can attest that "always the same" is a load of bunk. And the blog linked is an anti-Catholic blog. One of those "you are out of your mind if you want to convert to Catholicism" blogs. So, of course, it isn't going to be warm and fuzzy toward the church.

No, it is not an anti-Catholic blog. I believe it's a "Let's discuss these crucial issues without name-calling"

I will research the semper iden on my own~just haven't had time.

Our priest was offered a gift of a BMW from a kind parishioner who owns a car dealership. Priest refused. Parishioner said, I could get you an older secondhand model. Priest said he could not be seen driving a BMW, even if he took a hammer to it first and made it look really dented & old & junky. Parishioner said but BMW is a reliable car so it would need less repairs and save money in the long haul. Priest said no, thank you, you are very kind but I can not be seen driving a BMW of any stripe!

So priest drives a second hand American van which has been recalled 5 times and caught fire once and exuded smoke twice.

I'm not sure if this story is relevant but maybe it shows some of the issues of everyday life for clergy.

Our priest was offered a gift of a BMW from a kind parishioner who owns a car dealership. Priest refused. Parishioner said, I could get you an older secondhand model. Priest said he could not be seen driving a BMW, even if he took a hammer to it first and made it look really dented & old & junky. Parishioner said but BMW is a reliable car so it would need less repairs and save money in the long haul. Priest said no, thank you, you are very kind but I can not be seen driving a BMW of any stripe!

So priest drives a second hand American van which has been recalled 5 times and caught fire once and exuded smoke twice.

I'm not sure if this story is relevant but maybe it shows some of the issues of everyday life for clergy.

Oh my! Poor man, he really needs that BMW. But, I understand his angst. We aren't catholic, however, our pastor does feel some of the same. He and his wife decided when she was expecting their third and oldest was still in a booster seat, that they would need something larger than their 10 year old camry. So they bought a used mini van. It's quite used, but was very well taken care of so the body looks much newer. He received comments from a number of people in the community, "Boy that church must pay you more than what your worth." That was the general sentiment. Sigh....he just needed a reliable vehicle, just like anyone else.

It's sad that people rush to judgment so quickly based on outward appearances.

Faith

No, it is not an anti-Catholic blog. I believe it's a "Let's discuss these crucial issues without name-calling"

I will research the semper iden on my own~just haven't had time.

You really think a blog by the teaching fellowship of R.C. Sproul is an impartial source? The people involved seem to want to talk people out of coming into communion with the Church. They have an agenda. It is not some great discussion with open sharing. It is a bunch of articles pointing out all the "flaws" of the Church with absolutely no source references and all their interpretations and opinions. I can't even go back and check where they get their "information." So I agree with Chucki. It is a blog set up to give their opinions on a Church they don't understand, with no attempt to give accurate information or accurately understand what they talk about. It is a one-sided diatribe on why you don't want to be Catholic.

I wish he had taken the BMW! Sigh...it's kind of like the bind low income people are in. If they use the expensive present, they will be judged. It must be worse for priests, though, as you wouldn't want somebody posting 20 years later on a forum, "I knew a priest who drove a BMW! Vow of poverty, my foot!" ;-)

You really think a blog by the teaching fellowship of R.C. Sproul is an impartial source? The people involved seem to want to talk people out of coming into communion with the Church. They have an agenda. It is not some great discussion with open sharing. As I said, I am finding nothing in any Catholic source on that. It is not in the CCC.

No, I didn't say it was an impartial source! But I don't believe it is anti-Catholic. There is a difference.

The guy who wrote it is discussing something that (I believe) should be important to Christians of every denomination.

And to clarify, I didn't scour the internet for "semper idem" and then find the article. I saw it in print a few weeks ago and it made an impression on me. And since a thread was started on "Changes" in the RCC, I linked it to join in the discussion.

You really think a blog by the teaching fellowship of R.C. Sproul is an impartial source? The people involved seem to want to talk people out of coming into communion with the Church. They have an agenda. It is not some great discussion with open sharing. It is a bunch of articles pointing out all the "flaws" of the Church with absolutely no source references and all their interpretations and opinions. I can't even go back and check where they get their "information." So I agree with Chucki. It is a blog set up to give their opinions on a Church they don't understand, with no attempt to give accurate information or accurately understand what they talk about. It is a one-sided diatribe on why you don't want to be Catholic.

R.C. Sproul? Definitely not impartial and definitely an anti-Catholic source. The Sprouls are not secretive about their views on Catholics. Let's just say one of my friends and one of the Sprouls had a "lively" conversation when Orthodoxy came up.

I love the humor, but I don't believe Little Nyssa is Catholic. And I agree that he is wise.

Former Roman Catholic turned Eastern Orthodox if memory serves (and it better because I believe she posted such yesterday :D).

And in this special time I hope the humor can be ecumenical. We are even managing a civil discussion when some said it couldn't be done. That's progress.

Bill

Thank you, Bill.

In light of the earlier posts, from the wiki on Pope Francis:

As Cardinal, Bergoglio became known for personal humility, doctrinal conservatism and a commitment to social justice. A simple lifestyle has contributed to his reputation for humility. He lives in a small apartment, rather than in the palatial bishop's residence. He gave up his chauffeured limousine in favor of public transportation, and he reportedly cooks his own meals.

:)

White smoke.

Yes, I wonder what it means for us Orthodox? Maybe we should be on the lookout for an American Patriarch?

Or perhaps a new universal Council is brewing?

Former Roman Catholic turned Eastern Orthodox if memory serves (and it better because I believe she posted such yesterday :D).

And in this special time I hope the humor can be ecumenical. We are even managing a civil discussion when some said it couldn't be done. That's progress.

Bill

White smoke.

Yes, I wonder what it means for us Orthodox? Maybe we should be on the lookout for an American Patriarch?

Or perhaps a new universal Council is brewing?

Bergoglio was the ordinary for Eastern Catholics in Argentina. I don't know what that looked like, practically, but I'm sure that experience shaped him in some way.

Best wishes and congratulations to our Catholic sisters (and brothers) on the selection of Pope Francis I.

He seems like a very exciting choice. May he serve well.

Bill

Technically, it's just Pope Francis unless he informs us he'd like "the First" as part of his name. John Paul I was the first to do that.

Bill

This thread has probably gone in a different direction, but I just wanted to pop in and say that you are correct on all counts:) As usual :tongue_smilie:

White smoke.

American Patriarch? Wasn't that a luxury sedan produced by the now defunct American Motors?

Perhaps I have that wrong? :D

Bill

I just heard from my dearest IRL friend and she and her husband are very happy about Pope Francis! I am so thrilled for them. Her husband has hairy cell leukemia and today was not a good day until this...she called it her ray of sunshine in an otherwise dark day.

Love the raccoon by the way!

Blessings to all!

Faith

Oh my, I had no idea anybody noticed my posts particularly. :)

And I apologize if my non-Catholic chimings in took the thread in a different direction-- sometimes I think we are similar enough that what happens over here in the EO can also be relevant there, and vice versa, and probably they look pretty much the same to someone outside of either...

Anyway, is he going to be Francis or Francisco? I heard Francisco but then I suppose that was in Latin?

And why are Jesuits black?

Inquiring minds...

Oh my, I had no idea anybody noticed my posts particularly. :)

And I apologize if my non-Catholic chimings in took the thread in a different direction-- sometimes I think we are similar enough that what happens over here in the EO can also be relevant there, and vice versa, and probably they look pretty much the same to someone outside of either...

Anyway, is he going to be Francis or Francisco? I heard Francisco but then I suppose that was in Latin?

And why are Jesuits black?

Inquiring minds...

Their habits are black. Anyway, that's the most innocuous interpretation of that comment :)

The name is always proclaimed in Latin. The networks all have Latin name cheat sheets of all the cardinals, though this name was particularly clear, I thought. So, he'll be called Francis by English-speakers but Francisco, I guess, in Italy. John Paul was Giovanni Paulo. At international events the crowd trades around their "native chants" of the pope's name.

Honestly, and this isn't a popular opinion, I think a lot of the past issues from the 50s, 60s and 70s happened because of the times and the mentality that went along with those times. I'm not saying that what was done was right, far from it.

But today things have changed. The mentality had changed across the board. We won't accept the cover ups the way our parents and grand parents would. The bishops are getting their acts together and not following along with the mentality of covering things up.

So, yeah, I think the new pope will have to stand up and put a foot down.

Chucki, I have no faith in this. At the time a new wave of scandals were breaking in our area, our archdiocese sent to our parish and school a priest that never in a million years should have been there. It was obvious to much of the parish in his first few months that his place was not with children. This was in 2005. The process of moving an offending priest from parish to parish is alive and well.

This priest replaced our well-spoken Irish priest who was arrested on DUI charges. More has to change than just the parishioners having their eyes open and occasionally speaking out when the outrage goes too far and the damage is already done.