Menu

What to do w/waist length hair at the beach?

saraha

I have waist length, dry, thick, wavy hair that is very prone to frizz and breakage. Right now it needs a trim, so I know I'll do that before I go, but was wondering how to take care of it at the beach? I don't want it to get bleached, and I don't know how to deal with it getting wet, then drying out, getting wet again etc over the course of the day in the salt water. We will be there a week.

Can you help a girl out?

Thanks!

Would using a cheap conditioner like suave left in the hair work or do I need a real "leave in" conditioner?

The advantage of the leave-in conditioner is that you don't have to rinse it out afterward. If the Suave dries in your hair, it can be a nuisance to rinse it all out -- my hair is quite thin, and it even took long to get it out of my hair. That said, the regular conditioner will do a better job of protecting your hair from the salt water than the leave-in stuff.

One suggestion -- if you're concerned about leaving the salt water in your hair all day, bring some plain water with you and dip your braid into it when you come out of the ocean.

If you're worried that your hair will lighten in the sun, you'll need to wear a hat. But I don't see too much color change happening in only a week -- we used to spend entire summers on the beach and my hair didn't lighten that much.

Would using a cheap conditioner like suave left in the hair work or do I need a real "leave in" conditioner?

I'd say regular is better. Leave in is just not as thick. You want your hair coated so that it doesn't get saturated with salt water. It'll feel like plastic, but it'll look and feel great at the end of the day when you rinse it out.

Thanks!

So should I get a "sport" shampoo to wash the salt water out, or will regular be fine. A couple of my daughters have waist length hair and in the summer I buy a kids sport shampoo to get the chlorine out after swim lessons because suave shampoo wasn't getting it out.

Braids, as others have said. Regular shampoo should be fine for getting out the salt. One week in the sun isn't enough to bleach your hair out or affect color, so you are good there. However, if you do braid, be extra double triple sure to put sunscreen on the exposed part of your scalp (part, etc.) &/or wear a hat/something on your head. A wide headband, scarf, anything like that.

If it's braided, the wet/dry/wet shouldn't be a huge issue, just use moisturizing shampoo/conditioner in your showers after the beach.

Enjoy!

My hair isn't waist length, but it is lower back, and sounds like similar texture to yours.

When we spend time at the beach, I generally have it in a french braid. Just keeping it snug in braids will protect it from the wind/drying/tangling.

Salt water isn't hard on it. If it gets wet, I will rinse it (along with the rest of me) in clear water before heading in to the house. At the end of the day, every day, if my hair has gotten wet or sandy (essentially, if I spent more than an hour on the beach), it gets washed and conditioned as usual.

Yes, it is a lot more washing than my hair usually gets (it can go a week if I am not running), but it doesn't seem to hurt it.

My hair is brown, and will turn blonde in the sun, but I don't mind that -- free highlights! If you don't want sun-bleaching, then wear a hat and/or use one of those "hair sunscreens".

I wear a wide brimmed hat nearly all the time when we're at the beach to protect my face, and so that would go a long way in protecting your hair.